5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ES Shifter Bushings & Watkins STS

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ES Shifter Bushings & Watkins STS

Did this a while ago but never posted the pictures that people have sporadically asked for. I know this isn't something radically new for most of the 6 speed guys out there, but just thought I'd share my pics and experience.

For the bushings and STS piece in the cabin under the shifter itself, it was a relatively simple install, except for 2 things.

First, the OEM bushing ripped, leaving its metal sleeve stuck on the post on the shift rod. The OEM bushing is basically a rubber ring with a metal sleeve on the inside. The rubber around the sleeve was stuck to the sleeve, and the sleeve was in turn attached pretty tightly to the post on the shift rod. So after removing the OEM bushing less the sleeve, I had to use a flathead screw driver to pry the sleeve off. See the pic below for a better idea.

OEM bushing (ripped into 2 pieces):

The other little issue was that the ES banjo bushing is tough to squeeze into the ring, especially after greasing it a little to supposedly make it easier. I know some of you guys did it by hand, but I had to use a channel grip for some extra help.

Shifter assembly in cabin:

Shifter without bushing but STS piece installed:

Installed:

A comment on the last picture: some people have complained that the shifting has become really stiff and that it requires a lot of effort after the STS and bushings are installed, but it may be because the 10mm nut holding the bushing and STS is screwed on too tight. For those of ya who have this problem or complaint, try loosening it a little.

I played around with the torque and found a happy medium where my shifts are firm, yet do not require excessive force to get into gear, esp for reverse, where this issue has typically surfaced. From my experimentation, this 10mm nut is what influences how much effort is required to shift into gear. The piece under the hood does not alter the shifting effort significantly at all.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:54 AM

The bushing and STS piece under the airbox/intake was much easier and I did that with no trouble at all. Well, almost. I still had to squeeze the bushing into the ring and once again, used the channel grips for some extra grip.

You can see the red ES bushing bottom left in the bowl next to the black OEM bushing on the right:

Bushing and STS assembled minus the screw & washer that holds it together – bottom view (its twisted upwards just for the picture):

STS completed:

STS location in relation to intake for those who don’t know where it is (you can see it below the intake):

I used white lithium grease to lubricate all the bushings and STS pieces where necessary. This is the type of lithium grease that is sold in aerosol form and not the kind that comes in a tube. Soonerfan used the tube kind and it was a little too thick and his shifter took a lot of force to get it into gear, esp reverse. I believe he rectified it before leaving for his “assignment”.

Some thoughts

Throws are significantly shorter and tighter, ie there is no play or lateral looseness in the shifter when it is in gear. It is crisper and feels much more solid. This however, does not eradicate the notchiness in the tranny, although it does reduce it somewhat, either way I’ve never had a problem with that. A lot of white lithium grease and some MT-90 or Amsoil tranny fluid should help with that somewhat though.

Additinal info

ES shifter bushings are available at:

www.sportcompactonly.com - talk to Steve G (Y2KSESteve)

www.cattman.com - talk to Brian Catts (Cattman) about his "package" deal for STS + bushings

www.mattblehm.com - talk to Matt Blehm (Matt93SE)

STS available at:

www.cattman.com - - talk to Brian Catts (Cattman)

www.fast-shift.com
Old 02-08-2006, 10:55 AM

The one question I had was whether the other 4 sets of bushings for the corners of the shifter “base” really do anything. I haven’t taken the time to install those yet, but I can’t really see the benefit of doing it short of just doing it for the sake of completing the job. Do they really help? How do they help?
Old 02-08-2006, 11:10 AM

Doesn't this do the same thing and it's free?:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....light=free+sts
Old 02-08-2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by MAXRB8
Doesn't this do the same thing and it's free?:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....light=free+sts
Sure does... I had looked into that, but found a cheap STS from an .Org member and figured I didn't want to drill into anything. Even if you do go that route, I'd strongly recommend getting the ES bushings. They make a difference (I had the STS on before I added the bushings) and they're only about 30 bucks or so.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Need A Light?

sweet pictures and info....

but you need more white lithium grease...spray the crap outta that pivot ball!
Old 02-08-2006, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Sure does... I had looked into that, but found a cheap STS from an .Org member and figured I didn't want to drill into anything. Even if you do go that route, I'd strongly recommend getting the ES bushings. They make a difference (I had the STS on before I added the bushings) and they're only about 30 bucks or so.
I'd do the same thing as you on a cheap deal, I do intend on doing this soon and thanks I will get the ES bushings.
Props on the pics BTW
Old 02-08-2006, 11:25 AM

I don't really have any issues with my shifter, but the way the engine moves around on these cars is awful. I ve never owned a car the has motor mounts so soft. How can I solve this problem????????
Old 02-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
I don't really have any issues with my shifter, but the way the engine moves around on these cars is awful. I ve never owned a car the has motor mounts so soft. How can I solve this problem????????
ES motor mounts of course....
Old 02-08-2006, 11:32 AM

You need some of these :

And maybe these (I still need to get em too):

http://polo.lxanyc.com/2002MaximaSE/...frameBushings/
Old 02-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Need A Light?

you will feel more vibrations throughout the cabin....IMO, its a good feeling...not a bad....it allows you to "feel" everything that goes on with the engine....you will instantly feel your car choking, misfiring, or some irregularity with it, when you have these motor mounts....

throttle response is also increased since the motor is so stiff now...theres alot less play so the engine revs so effortlessly....oh yes, the dreaded wheel hop is nearly eliminated with these motor mounts!
Old 02-08-2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by steven88
you will feel more vibrations throughout the cabin....IMO, its a good feeling...not a bad....it allows you to "feel" everything that goes on with the engine....you will instantly feel your car choking, misfiring, or some irregularity with it, when you have these motor mounts....
Is it just my imagination or do the mounts kinda "break in" and become slightly softer over time? The night we installed em it was really rough in terms of vibrations, but either I've gotten used to it now, or they have somewhat broken in a little.

Regardless, throttle response is x 23762985098265 now.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:43 AM

Im still wondering if these shifter bushings would fit the A34 as well as the motor mounts. Anyone know the answer to this question? Also, my shifter feels loose side to side, I assume the shifter bushings are made to eliminate that?
Old 02-08-2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Glude
Im still wondering if these shifter bushings would fit the A34 as well as the motor mounts. Anyone know the answer to this question? Also, my shifter feels loose side to side, I assume the shifter bushings are made to eliminate that?
I was under the impression that the A34 tranny is very similar, but I can't say for sure. Maybe ask SR20DEN or Tilley or any of the AM guys who may have messed with the 6th Gen 6 speed?

And yes, the bushings will eliminate the lateral looseness of the shifter when gears are engaged, even if ya don't have a short throw.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Glude
Im still wondering if these shifter bushings would fit the A34 as well as the motor mounts. Anyone know the answer to this question?
Btw, IIRC Polo is the one who got ES to make the bushings and mount inserts for the 5.5th Gens. You might wanna ask him how the process was and see if you can get something going for 6th Gens. I'm sure ES would do it given the right interest since these inserts aren't really that hard to produce. They'd probably just need a donor car for a bit to get the specs.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:21 PM

I don't want the harshness or vibration. Is there anything out there better then stock but a little stiffer. I may have to get these anyway cause the way the motor rocks back and forth is unacceptable........
Old 02-08-2006, 12:30 PM

I don't want the harshness or vibration. Is there anything out there better then stock but a little stiffer. I may have to get these anyway cause the way the motor rocks back and forth is unacceptable........
The lower subframe bushings may probably help a little without the added vibration, but will not be as effective as motor mount inserts. For 20 bucks and an easy install, you could try that first. They are bushings that go around the bolts that hold the "cradle" or cross brace to the car. The cradle is the longtitudinal piece under the motor where the front and rear motor mounts are mounted.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Play with my balls

And maybe these (I still need to get em too):

http://polo.lxanyc.com/2002MaximaSE/...frameBushings/
Hey Joel....or anyone else-

What are the noticable results after installing these bushings. Any changes in handling? Is there anything sacrificed, which I'm presuming nothing would be? I bought these when I purchased the Motor Mounts knowing this would probably benefit me somehow. Haven't had a chance to locate experiences with them.

Thanks for any input.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
What are the noticable results after installing these bushings. Any changes in handling? Is there anything sacrificed, which I'm presuming nothing would be? I bought these when I purchased the Motor Mounts knowing this would probably benefit me somehow. Haven't had a chance to locate experiences with them.
All I know is that they are supposed to complement the motor mounts in terms of reducing the movement of the motor and not so much handling I guess. I'm gonna be ordering some soon and will let ya know if there're any noticeable changes... if I install em before you do.

Some info in this thread and you could probably post more questions as well:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=454717
Old 02-08-2006, 06:45 PM

but you need more white lithium grease...spray the crap outta that pivot ball!
Wait till you see how much I sprayed on the bushings and pivot today....
Old 02-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Need A Light?

Wait till you see how much I sprayed on the bushings and pivot today....
haha lets see it dawg
Old 02-08-2006, 06:57 PM
retired moderator

Is it just my imagination or do the mounts kinda "break in" and become slightly softer over time? The night we installed em it was really rough in terms of vibrations, but either I've gotten used to it now, or they have somewhat broken in a little.

Regardless, throttle response is x 23762985098265 now.
I didn't notice any significant vibrations when I drove your car last week And I'm used to a smooth VQ30, FTW.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:24 PM

haha lets see it dawg
Sorry, put everything back together already and took no pics this time...
Old 02-08-2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
I didn't notice any significant vibrations when I drove your car last week And I'm used to a smooth VQ30, FTW.
Yeah, which could be because its gotten better than when initially installed. Its still rougher than it was stock, but barely.

(Tempted to start pissing contest between VQ30 and VQ35, but will refrain)
Old 02-08-2006, 07:31 PM
Need A Light?

Sorry, put everything back together already and took no pics this time...
that is so teh for not taking any pix before you put everyback together!
Old 02-08-2006, 07:37 PM
retired moderator

Yeah, which could be because its gotten better than when initially installed. Its still rougher than it was stock, but barely.

(Tempted to start pissing contest between VQ30 and VQ35, but will refrain)
don't go there
Old 02-08-2006, 08:08 PM

that is so teh for not taking any pix before you put everyback together!
Let's see some of your pics then...

Originally Posted by Irish44J
don't go there
I didn't...
Old 02-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Thinks he is fast

I have that exact setup, ES poly bushings with a watkins (2-piece) STS, MT-90 and a lot of white lithium grease. This is my best mod so far and for about $28 shipped. I have the bushings installed in the base also but I put them all in at once so I couldn't really tell what they would be like without them. It didn't take long to get the center console out just 7 screws. I plan on getting the motor mounts in time as well.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Need A Light?

Let's see some of your pics then...

I didn't...
can't, cars still in the shop getting work done

it will be back in action soon...and i'll def take pix of my pivot ballll! muhahaha
Old 02-09-2006, 06:35 AM

it will be back in action soon...and i'll def take pix of my pivot ballll! muhahaha
I actually don't wanna see em

I'm still curious to see how the throw lengths of the Watkins STS compare to the SR20DEN/Deckdout2 free STS.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:07 AM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Jesus H Puppet!

You definetly werent wrong about fitting those ES bushings inside the O-rings for the shifter... Mucho !

Those little buggers are slippery when they have grease on them too! No way I could have done it without pliers.

Time to test drive!

Now the question is... where the hell do those other little bushings go?
Old 02-26-2006, 11:24 AM

Just receieved my ES bushings the other day any one got a writeup on installing these?
Old 02-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Play with my balls

I actually don't wanna see em

I'm still curious to see how the throw lengths of the Watkins STS compare to the SR20DEN/Deckdout2 free STS.
Didn't see this earlier when it was posted, but a little hear-say insight. There's a member locally, that bought the Watkins when it first came out, and then SR came up with the free method. The guy actually sold his Watkins and went with the free mod. He said that it actually felt like the throw was shorter. I haven't experienced the Watkins, but maybe if we make a DC meet this year, we could check it out to compare.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by rbrown81
Jesus H Puppet!

You definetly werent wrong about fitting those ES bushings inside the O-rings for the shifter... Mucho !

Those little buggers are slippery when they have grease on them too! No way I could have done it without pliers.

Now the question is... where the hell do those other little bushings go?
Do you have any pics? A writeup on the other bushings would be nice also.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:08 PM

Just receieved my ES bushings the other day any one got a writeup on installing these?
They come with instructions that are really all you'll need.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
Didn't see this earlier when it was posted, but a little hear-say insight. There's a member locally, that bought the Watkins when it first came out, and then SR came up with the free method. The guy actually sold his Watkins and went with the free mod. He said that it actually felt like the throw was shorter. I haven't experienced the Watkins, but maybe if we make a DC meet this year, we could check it out to compare.
Yeah, now that I've gotten used to the STS, I actually think I'd like it shorter still.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:26 PM

They come with instructions that are really all you'll need.
That would be fine if I got instructions but I didn't!
Old 02-26-2006, 05:37 PM
But why is teh Rum gone?

You didnt get used bushings did you?
Old 02-26-2006, 05:54 PM

You got shifter bushings? If so, I have the instructions and can scan em and send you a pdf if that'll help.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:51 AM

For those who need it:

Quick Reply: ES Shifter Bushings & Watkins STS