5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Power Seat Blues

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 03:35 PM

Power Seat Blues

Without warning, the driver seat stopped adjusting in the fore/aft direction. Moving the switch to attempt this and all you get is dead silence. No click or motor hum at all. All other power seat functions (seat cushion raise/lower/tilt and seat back angle adjustments still work fine.

The fore/aft adjustment does get heavy use. I'm several inches taller than my wife, and she normally uses this feature to ease getting in and out of the car when she drives it anyway (although we aren't 'ancient', neither of us is quite as limber as we were once). But there was no warning, as might be expected from most aging/failing mechanical bits.

1. Has anybody else experienced this problem?

2. Are these functions on separate fuses? If so, where are they located? The Haynes book and the owner's manual are no help.

3. If it becomes necessary to remove the entire seat, where are the rear bolts? As luck would have it, the two front bolts are completely exposed (seat all the way back or almost so).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Norm
Old 01-13-2006, 03:26 AM

One bump to the top. Got to work on it today.

Norm
Old 01-13-2006, 04:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't think its fuse because other seat functions work. I bet its the motor that died.
The back bolts are just where you think they would be, probably covered by a plastic cover.
Do you FSM? Factory Service Manual? if no, send me a PM, I'll send you a pdf of the seat diagram.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:55 AM
Play with my balls

if you have an fsm, see if it's on a seperate relay. that could be dead. you fuses might be alright since all the functions probably run to the same fuse, but the relay might be separate entities. your fsm should be able to help you locate a relay. on the other hand you might have a bad motor or the actual switch is bad.