5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A Weird Turn Signal Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 08:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A Weird Turn Signal Issue...

I have a very weird issue with my right turn signal. If I engage my right signal at any time after it has not been engaged within the past (approx) 2 minutes, my climate control (auto) and stereo (stock bose) both get very bright for a fraction of a second. I only notice this with the right signal, not the left, when it is nighttime, and that is the only time that it is dark enough to see it.

At first I thought I was seeing things out of the corner of my eye or the reflection of my turn signal reflecting off of something outside of the car, but last night I caught it - twice, once while directly looking at the consoles.

The first time I saw it out of the corner of my eye, so I turned the brightness **** to zero (all internal lights off aside from the light showing which gear I'm in and the clock) and when I engaged the turn signal while driving (moving, but not accelerating) I looked at the consoles and both lit up temporarily as if they were receiving a power surge of some kind.

I have no CEL, and recently had my battery voltage checked and verified as correct by the dealership.

Any ideas as to what this could be, or if I should just ignore it, let me know.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:55 AM

It sounds like you may need to get some blinker fluid...

J/K

Did you check your bulbs?? Do you notice that the blinker blinks faster than usual?? If so then its definitely an issue with the bulbs on that side.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:57 AM

I think I may have the same problem, but mine affects the HID's, they flicker (brighter) when I use the left turn signal, and I have regrounded everything. I am beginning to think it may be the actual signal stalk shorting out somewhere, I have a replacement comming in, I'll let you know
Old 01-12-2006, 09:15 AM

Definitely sounds like a grounding issue. Have you done any electrical work in the car lately, i.e stereo, gauges, bulbs, etc? Even simply tugging on a wiring harness can cut a wire and cause all kinds of issues. I had a wierd electrical issue like that in my old Trans AM. Took me 3 days to find it.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:36 AM

I have seen a lot of weird electrical issues pop up on this forum, is this a fluke? or did all gen Maximas succumb to electrical idiosyncrasies?

I've seen a problem that I think I have with my DRLs, they work fine until I turn on the low beams and then try to use the high beams - the passenger side hi-beam doesn't light. The high beam bulb is a single filament so I guess it's not the bulb. I read some threads that indicate it may be the stalk or a relay, any ideas where the relay is ? I've only had the car about a month.

Thanks, didn't mean to try and hijack this thread.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:40 PM

I have a similar problem with my turn signal. (2000 max)
Everytime I use the signal (left or right), the moment the signal switch goes off, ALL of my Interior (dash, clock etc) and Exterior (headlight, tailights etc) flashes for a split second (its like i'm flashes someone with my headlights). The strange thing is that it only happens in "AUTO" headlight mode. Its fine when I use the "MANUAL" mode.
I'm baffled to what the problem is. I went to my regular dealership before and they couldn't figure it out. I'm probably going to head to another dealership to see if they can find a remedy.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:19 PM

I have not done ANY electrical work to this car, and it has been 100% dealer maintained. I was thinking about purchasing a grounding kit of some kind, but have been too plain lazy to figure out what the end cost would be to me, and then find out if I have that much money.

The bulb does not blink faster on one side, and it is not a consistent issue so even if I took it to the dealership, I *probably* wouldn't be able to reproduce it. Dafertalizer- let me know what happens with your bulb (even though I have 2k headlights)

thanks everybody, more comments or suggestions are still welcomed.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Anarchist
I have not done ANY electrical work to this car, and it has been 100% dealer maintained. I was thinking about purchasing a grounding kit of some kind, but have been too plain lazy to figure out what the end cost would be to me, and then find out if I have that much money.

The bulb does not blink faster on one side, and it is not a consistent issue so even if I took it to the dealership, I *probably* wouldn't be able to reproduce it. Dafertalizer- let me know what happens with your bulb (even though I have 2k headlights)

thanks everybody, more comments or suggestions are still welcomed.
I have the 2k headlights, just with HID's in them, (well until they sell then my 2k2s are going in) anyway from hearing about what was said above about the interior lights, this sound like the same type of problem, just affecting the power in different areas.

I am going to see tonight if they do it with the headlights turned on instead of auto, see if that makes a difference, if it does, this would lead me to belive even more that its the switch (stalk from steering wheel)
Mine will be here soon, but it's comming from Canada and things usually take a little bit to come from there.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:47 AM

Bump ??? Any ideas about the DRL and location of the relays?