5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen Suspension Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:47 PM

what should I do first, shocks and springs or fstb and sway bar?
Old 04-23-2008, 02:08 PM

I ordered Illuminas and H&R springs last week and they should be arriving tomorrow. Just wondering if people recommend having them installed at a garage or if I should try doing it myself. I don't know of any garages that specialize in suspension around me (Harrisburg/Carlisle, PA area). I have read the directions at http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/strut_install.html and I think I'm capable of doing this, if I can get ahold of some spring compressors. I like to try to do things on my own for learning purposes, but I'm just not sure if this is one of those things I want to try. Basically I just want to know if people have done this themselves or left it up to a garage. Or, if any people know of a good place to have it done in my area, that would be even better! Thanks for any input.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Driving is the next best thing

Originally Posted by sublime258
I ordered Illuminas and H&R springs last week and they should be arriving tomorrow. Just wondering if people recommend having them installed at a garage or if I should try doing it myself. I don't know of any garages that specialize in suspension around me (Harrisburg/Carlisle, PA area). I have read the directions at http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/strut_install.html and I think I'm capable of doing this, if I can get ahold of some spring compressors. I like to try to do things on my own for learning purposes, but I'm just not sure if this is one of those things I want to try. Basically I just want to know if people have done this themselves or left it up to a garage. Or, if any people know of a good place to have it done in my area, that would be even better! Thanks for any input.
Do you have the time to do it yourself? (first time it might take as many as 3 days.)

Are you willing to try doing it yourself?

If you answered yes to both of these questions you can and should do it yourself.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:37 PM

3 days is a long time i do front and rear in about 3 to 4 hours taking my time
Old 04-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Chassis Freak

Suspension is relatively easy and fun. Rusty bolts is the only annoying thing.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by DrKlop
Do you have the time to do it yourself? (first time it might take as many as 3 days.)

Are you willing to try doing it yourself?

If you answered yes to both of these questions you can and should do it yourself.
Well, if it takes 3 days to do it myself, then no I don't have time because I have to drive to work. But I think I could handle an all-day job on one of my days off. I am definitely more than willing to do it...I take pride in knowing that I did something on my own. So I guess that is a yes to both of your questions. PLUS I found out that one of my friend's dad has spring compressors that I can borrow. So...looks like I am doing it myself on the next day I have off when the weather's good!
Old 04-27-2008, 09:43 PM

One more question. I know it's probably a good idea to put in new strut mounts with the new shocks and struts, but is it something that's necessary?
Old 04-29-2008, 01:36 PM

NOt necessary but a good idea if they are bad. How many miles are on the car?

And where in central PA are you?? this can be done in 1 day, not 3.
AutoZone or any place like that will also lend you spring compressors.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by '02_EMILBUS
this can be done in 1 day, not 3.
Sure it can be done in one day... just don't start doing it on Sanday if you have a business meeting on Monday morning that you have to drive to.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:33 PM

NOt necessary but a good idea if they are bad. How many miles are on the car?

And where in central PA are you?? this can be done in 1 day, not 3.
AutoZone or any place like that will also lend you spring compressors.
It has 71,000 on it...I'm probably not going to order new strut bearings. My friend's dad is going to let me borrow his spring compressors. Now I just need to find a day to do this...
Old 04-29-2008, 09:42 PM

It has 71,000 on it...I'm probably not going to order new strut bearings. My friend's dad is going to let me borrow his spring compressors. Now I just need to find a day to do this...
Actually, it's probably a good idea to change strut bearings. Those plastic things are something like $10 a piece (if not less) so might as well change them while you are at it.

But I'd leave the mounts alone, if they are in a good condition.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:40 PM

where in central PA are you Sublime??
I'm in n.central PA and could lend a hand if you're uncomfortable doing this. If it is a day that im available and within reasonable distance...
Old 05-08-2008, 12:25 PM

where in central PA are you Sublime??
I'm in n.central PA and could lend a hand if you're uncomfortable doing this. If it is a day that im available and within reasonable distance...
Sent you a PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:40 PM

took me 2 hours with my friend helping a impact gun helps a lot!
Old 05-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

RE: Anyone have experience with the Tokico springs setup?

http://www.importrp.com/product.php?...6&cat=0&page=1

Tokico HP Advanced Handling Suspension Kit
I have always heard pretty good things about the Tokico Blues. But, don't know about the springs. The kit seems like a pretty good price at 450.00 for all 4 struts and springs. I have also looked at the KYB GR2 and Voglant for the same price.

My #1 would be a used set of Eibachs/w Tokico Illuminas used, but are hard to find and can't afford new.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:02 AM

then wait till you can i mean its only about what another 200 its worth the wait. susp is to important to be cheap about. i tried that and my car spent more time in the driveway because i hated driving it. (k-sports and maxspeeds) best set up imo so far have been h&rs eibachs and top dog the tein coilovers.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:09 PM

i know some people cut the bump stops on the illuminas when you got the low drop with the progress and the s-techz... is that the same with the tokico blue "hp"s because i want to run s-techs or progress and many people had this issue...

need some clarity
Old 05-29-2008, 12:04 AM

Installation Experience

Well I finally installed my Illuminas and H&Rs today. As most people say, it's not that hard, most of the time is just compressing and decompressing springs. This was an all day job for me...definitely not a few hours. I bought an electric impact wrench yesterday and am so glad I did because I can't imagine trying to do this job without it. Definitely would have taken twice as long compressing/decompressing the springs, and it certainly came in handy on a few stubborn nuts.

The first strut/spring I replaced was the front right. Got it all done and installed back on car and put the wheel back on...only to realize I forgot to put that thin piece of red plastic on top of the top had before re-installing the strut (sorry I don't know the technical word for this). So I said screw it and figured it wouldn't make any difference. I was wrong. After taking the car for a test drive after getting all 4 replaced...it didn't take long before I heard a squeaking sound coming from the front right. All the others sounded fine...and I remembered to put the red things back on top of them. So I will be getting up early before work tomorrow to remove the front strut again and get this thing put on . In other words, don't do what I did...make sure you do it right the first time!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:38 AM
SHIFT_In2D

Originally Posted by babyboyws6
i know some people cut the bump stops on the illuminas when you got the low drop with the progress and the s-techz... is that the same with the tokico blue "hp"s because i want to run s-techs or progress and many people had this issue...

need some clarity
Yes you should still cut the bump stops with the tok blues.

Sublime wow I wouldn't of thought the red plastic rings would have made a diffrence either. I thought they were there just to let you know what setting you are at.

But you're right. Do it right once or do it over twice lol
Old 05-29-2008, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jess
Sublime wow I wouldn't of thought the red plastic rings would have made a diffrence either. I thought they were there just to let you know what setting you are at.

But you're right. Do it right once or do it over twice lol
I'm not talking about the 5-way adjuster on the Illuminas, I'm talking about that red ring thing that goes between the metal of your strut tower and the strut itself. It is like the thickness of paper but it's plastic. But about that...I ended up taking off the front right this morning, and realized that it was actually the front left that I forgot to put it back on . So I put everything back on...and it doesn't seem to be making the noise anymore...so I'm happy for now.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:42 PM

Check out what I had done today. Got to loosen up the dampeners cuz she bounces a bit much on the slightest bump.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:54 AM

Hey Guys,

I've been reading alot about the different suspension setups and was hoping to get a little advice specific to my needs.

My car is going to be a daily driver, but I'm certainly looking for a stiffer ride than the OEM at 60K is offering me. I'm an enthusiastic driver too.

I'm interested in the H&R and Illumina setup, but honestly won't be adjusting these struts very often, if ever after I find the right settings.

For someone not looking to adjust the struts, what would you recommend? Would you still get the Illumina's since these are adjustable and can match them up with your springs.

Maybe a better question for those of you with Illumina's, How often do you adjust these? Do you pretty much dial them in and leave them alone? I've never owned adjustable struts before. Any issues with longevity over other options?

Thanks,
- Zack
Old 06-10-2008, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by zgendron
Hey Guys,

I've been reading alot about the different suspension setups and was hoping to get a little advice specific to my needs.

My car is going to be a daily driver, but I'm certainly looking for a stiffer ride than the OEM at 60K is offering me. I'm an enthusiastic driver too.

I'm interested in the H&R and Illumina setup, but honestly won't be adjusting these struts very often, if ever after I find the right settings.

For someone not looking to adjust the struts, what would you recommend? Would you still get the Illumina's since these are adjustable and can match them up with your springs.

Maybe a better question for those of you with Illumina's, How often do you adjust these? Do you pretty much dial them in and leave them alone? I've never owned adjustable struts before. Any issues with longevity over other options?

Thanks,
- Zack
You said it yourself "after I find the right setting"

You are not paying for adjustable shocks when you are getting illuminas. You are paying for the fact that you will be able to set up those shocks correctly.

Besides, Illuminas are probably the highest quality shocks available to us...
Old 06-10-2008, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by DrKlop
You said it yourself "after I find the right setting"

You are not paying for adjustable shocks when you are getting illuminas. You are paying for the fact that you will be able to set up those shocks correctly.

Besides, Illuminas are probably the highest quality shocks available to us...
Honestly I love my Illuminas.. I have done A LOT of modifying over the years and even though we say some aftermarket mods are reliable they are usually never truly as reliable as OEM. I can tell you my Illuminas are more reliable than OEM, and A LOT better performance wise. They are a great buy. I have adjusted them 2 or 3 times in the years I've had them and once I got it where I liked it I left it there. Honestly I have them at 2/2 right now and they can still keep up with the Eibachs just fine.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I've gone ahead and ordered the H&R's with Illumina's. Waiting on delivery, and then we'll give installation a shot. I've never done struts before, mostly because of the time involved. I may give it a shot this time around.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hi every one am new to the maximas i just bought one, but any ways, i took my 03 maxima to the local Meineke, cuz theres a noise every time it goes over a bump, they told me that the front struts were leaking, and it would be $850 to fix it, but i was kind of suspicious about it, so i took it to sears and they told me that the struts were good, but the lower ball joints are worn out, it be $500 to fix it, i then call the nissan dealer and they told me it would be over $1000 cuz they have to get the ball joint control arm, theres no way that they can just install just the ball joints, so i dont know what to do.... the ball joints are about $50 for the pair on the net but there are different ball joints, not sure wich ones to get, i might just end up selling the max, it only has 43000 miles one so i can still get some cash for it.....
Old 06-12-2008, 04:45 PM

Stock struts with lowering springs? Will that work out?
Old 06-12-2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by C P Squared
Stock struts with lowering springs? Will that work out?
Boing! Boing! Boing!

Don't do it, you will regret it. Your stock probably struts need replacement anyways.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by RLW001
Boing! Boing! Boing!

Don't do it, you will regret it. Your stock probably struts need replacement anyways.
The front ones we replaced no more than a year ago and by back ones are original. Just order new struts and springs?
Old 06-12-2008, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by C P Squared
The front ones we replaced no more than a year ago and by back ones are original. Just order new struts and springs?
If you are going to get lowering springs, don't use OEM struts/shocks. Buy yourself some Tokico HPs or Illuminas...there are a few other choices too. The stock struts/shocks are made for stock springs and will wear out very quickly with aftermarket springs.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:50 AM

If you are going to get lowering springs, don't use OEM struts/shocks. Buy yourself some Tokico HPs or Illuminas...there are a few other choices too. The stock struts/shocks are made for stock springs and will wear out very quickly with aftermarket springs.
i thought tockico HPs were OEM replacements?
Old 06-17-2008, 12:32 PM

Hey guys,

Looking to purchase some Illumina's pretty soon and I am able to get the for a past vendor I've dealt with for $400.00 shipped. I realize this is a pretty good price and was wondering if I should send them to the .org as a vendor? Let me know.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by wyche89
i thought tockico HPs were OEM replacements?
I wouldn't consider them OEM replacements. From what I have read, they are the same quality as the Illuminas, but are non-adjustable.

Last edited by sublime258; 06-17-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:16 PM

Car rides like a ****ing skateboard! I sold my 02 SE after only 1 month. Good ridance!!!
Old 07-10-2008, 03:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a huge problem though, I drive a 2002 nissan maxima, and that particular year, this car comes with the HID headlights, or xenon headlights standard, its got this bluish look when you turn on the headlights, I am sure that you are familiar with that.

When I got into the car accident by hitting a dear, the insurance company had to replace both of the headlights, at the beginning, the headlights werent original, and the bluish look is completely gone, when you turn the car on, the headlights turn blue only in the beginning, and then it turns white. Finally, after convincing the insurance company to replace the headlights to its orginial nissan manufacture part, I expected the results to be better, it was not. The headlights were still not as blue, or purplish like the ones before the accident. So they decided to take the car to the Nissan auto parts to diagnose the problem, they said that this is nornal, and this is the nissan original part. Which I do understand that, but a friend of mine, also drives a nissan maxima, same year, and his are far more powerful, and its got more bluish color look like mine before the accident. and his are stock, no after market parts, can you please tell me what is the problem? I would really appreciate if you can help me to solve my problem. thanks

Zack Kurowski

stafford, virginia
Old 07-10-2008, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by abuali23
I have a huge problem though, I drive a 2002 nissan maxima, and that particular year, this car comes with the HID headlights, or xenon headlights standard, its got this bluish look when you turn on the headlights, I am sure that you are familiar with that.

When I got into the car accident by hitting a dear, the insurance company had to replace both of the headlights, at the beginning, the headlights werent original, and the bluish look is completely gone, when you turn the car on, the headlights turn blue only in the beginning, and then it turns white. Finally, after convincing the insurance company to replace the headlights to its orginial nissan manufacture part, I expected the results to be better, it was not. The headlights were still not as blue, or purplish like the ones before the accident. So they decided to take the car to the Nissan auto parts to diagnose the problem, they said that this is nornal, and this is the nissan original part. Which I do understand that, but a friend of mine, also drives a nissan maxima, same year, and his are far more powerful, and its got more bluish color look like mine before the accident. and his are stock, no after market parts, can you please tell me what is the problem? I would really appreciate if you can help me to solve my problem. thanks

Zack Kurowski

stafford, virginia
Not sure, but why did you post this in the suspension thread?
Old 07-12-2008, 08:20 PM

Hey guys, I have a question I went out and bought some Illuminas and H&R springs tackled the front today along with stillen brakes rotors new lines and replace a hub bearing and spindle. Got it all buttoned up and measured the drop im sitting at 27 inches on the drivers side and 27&1/4 inches pasenger side. Ive never dropped a car myself before so Im worried I did something wrong, and hoping that they just need to settle in as I see H&R is supposed to have you around 26 1/4 inches in front also Im thinkng I should at least be even between the drivers and pasenger side. any advice besides take it to a shop? lol
Old 07-13-2008, 04:11 PM

Nice info...I was looking for new suspension for my max. And this helped me out greatly.
thanks
Old 07-15-2008, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by phxgold
Hey guys, I have a question I went out and bought some Illuminas and H&R springs tackled the front today along with stillen brakes rotors new lines and replace a hub bearing and spindle. Got it all buttoned up and measured the drop im sitting at 27 inches on the drivers side and 27&1/4 inches pasenger side. Ive never dropped a car myself before so Im worried I did something wrong, and hoping that they just need to settle in as I see H&R is supposed to have you around 26 1/4 inches in front also Im thinkng I should at least be even between the drivers and pasenger side. any advice besides take it to a shop? lol
never mind 2 days of a little creaking on bumps and she settled in ride height is under 27 now and even just took some settling.

awesome ride too. glad I did it.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

tockico HPs with stock springs?

Hey guys,
I have tockico HPs with the blue springs that come with them in the package deal.

However, the car rides way to hard for me, here in ny,
I was wondering if anyone tried leaving the tockico struts and putting back on the se springs. Would that work? and would it ride smoother?

Thx

Quick Reply: 5th Gen Suspension Thread