5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Car engines too Powerful?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 05:28 PM

here's a story from autonet.ca about the government in the province of Quebec wanting the Canadian federal government to enact a law to restrict the horsepower on cars or have a certain age limit to buy high horsepower cars...something about too much engine power causes people to speed and get into accidents

if you ask me, it's not speed that kills but dumbarse drivers

http://www.autonet.ca/autonetStories...m?storyID=2363
Old 06-05-2001, 05:30 PM
Got Bent?

you can never have too much hp but you can have too many dumba$$ drivers
Old 06-05-2001, 05:38 PM

I read the ad...My response, raise the speed limit. I think 70mph is stupid anyway!

HP has nothing to do with wrecks. My Camry had 145hp and I drove it at the same speed I drive my 222hp Max.

Hell, my first car in 1990 was a Geo Metro with like 80hp and I drove it at 85 all the time. (Talk about a death trap, but I was young and had to do it on my own and only made $4.35 per hour, hehe..I'm much better off for it today!)
Old 06-05-2001, 06:04 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by maximaman69
I think 70mph is stupid anyway!

70 mph speed limit? Where is this? We only have a 65 mph limit on I-95 between baltimore and DC and then 55 mph everywhere else....
Old 06-05-2001, 06:07 PM

North Carolina on down to Florida on I-95 is 70, and a bunch of the western states have 75 MPH speed limits.
Old 06-05-2001, 06:32 PM
nm

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

70 mph speed limit? Where is this? We only have a 65 mph limit on I-95 between baltimore and DC and then 55 mph everywhere else....
Last time I was in California I-5 was 70MPH between SF and LA.
Old 06-05-2001, 06:35 PM

At all the states with low population and lots of area, they raise the speed limit. At Nevada for expample its also 75 mph. so over there you can drive 90 or 95 with no problem
Old 06-05-2001, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the head up

If Quebec is doing silly crap like this to get attention, then it must be asked to kicked out of Canada. If the law is enacted, I am sure that the real Canadians (excluding the Quebeckers) will forced Quebec to leave Canada or to kick all the Quebeckers to reserves.......
Old 06-05-2001, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by LoveSick
Thanks for the head up

If Quebec is doing silly crap like this to get attention, then it must be asked to kicked out of Canada. If the law is enacted, I am sure that the real Canadians (excluding the Quebeckers) will forced Quebec to leave Canada or to kick all the Quebeckers to reserves.......
now that's jokes!

over here in Toronto, the speedlimit on the major highways is 100km/h (~63mph) but people routinely go 120-140km/h (75-88mph)...it's all about smooth traffic flow...major differences in speeds causes accidents (the best is the left-lane "enforcer" who chooses to do the speed limit in the passing lane )
Old 06-05-2001, 07:20 PM

The turnpike in florida is 70.
Old 06-05-2001, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by LoveSick
Thanks for the head up

well..they do have laws in Quebec which dont allow any English language signs on stores..and they have language police to make the rounds to enforce that law..
Not too long ago Jacques Villeneuve..the car racing dude, opened up a restaurant in Montreal, and he called the place, "NEW TOWN" which is English for his last name..He got in deep trouble over that one.If quebec can manage to limit freedom of language and print.. I figure that limit horsepower oughta be a breeze !
Old 06-05-2001, 07:31 PM

Big brother is watching......
Old 06-05-2001, 07:37 PM

yup he is

..look out for Grand Frere

the only French I really know is," Voulez vous couchez avec moi c'est soir?"..and I have never really gotten very far with that line.. I'd better stick to cars.
Old 06-05-2001, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by LeoB

well..they do have laws in Quebec which dont allow any English language signs on stores..and they have language police to make the rounds to enforce that law..
Not too long ago Jacques Villeneuve..the car racing dude, opened up a restaurant in Montreal, and he called the place, "NEW TOWN" which is English for his last name..He got in deep trouble over that one.If quebec can manage to limit freedom of language and print.. I figure that limit horsepower oughta be a breeze !

Those French pigs are nothing but shame! I say that they should all be sent off to reserves and speak French all they want! Those Quebeckers spent so much Canada's wealth and made almost all the decisions in Canada is just plain ridicuolous!

They forced all English to speak French, but their French pigs don't even know how to say ABCD in English!
Old 06-05-2001, 08:02 PM
Sly

you can never have too much hp but you can have too many dumba$$ drivers
Some once told me, you don't have enough hp until you're fighting for traction from corner to corner.
Old 06-05-2001, 08:06 PM

to quote jacques villeneuve about the "newtown" controversy: "You [Quebecers] have to see farther than your nose, it's a big world...it's too bad Quebecers lose by being more French than the French."
Old 06-05-2001, 08:37 PM

stupid stupid stupid...

From that dumb*ss article
"Year after year, it's: 'Look, we have 20 more horsepower, we have 10 more horsepower.' What's the point of that if you're not allowed to go faster?"
Soapbox Mode = ON.

When I had ye olde '90 Camry 5-spd it had a whopping 115HP and I drove 80mph. Now that have my Accord V6 with 200HP I drive 80mph. If I had a Max with 222HP I'd drive 80mph. And if I had a Supra with 2bar boost putting down 800+ whp I'd STILL drive 80mph.

The only difference is that the more horsepower you have, the faster you can get to whatever speed you're fricken gonna drive anyways whether you have 80HP or 800HP!!

Alexander Panetta, the author of that article, is a moron, IMHO.

If you really REALLY want to prevent accidents, then fricken teach people how to drive, get the f*ck out of the passing lane, use turn signals, LOOK before switching lanes, and use some fricken common sense and brainpower (not a lot, just a little) on the roads out there.

Soapbox mode = OFF
Old 06-05-2001, 08:49 PM

Re: stupid stupid stupid...

Originally posted by stevepake

If you really REALLY want to prevent accidents, then fricken teach people how to drive, get the f*ck out of the passing lane, use turn signals, LOOK before switching lanes, and use some fricken common sense and brainpower (not a lot, just a little) on the roads out there.

well spoken steve...that's the real solution but how often has any government looked at the root cause of the problem?
Old 06-05-2001, 08:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Blame Canada

Originally posted by MajesticBlueNTO

to quote jacques villeneuve about the "newtown" controversy: "You [Quebecers] have to see farther than your nose, it's a big world...it's too bad Quebecers lose by being more French than the French."
<music>"With all that hockey hullaballoo
and that Beeyotch Anne Murray too..."
"They're not even a real country anyway."</music>
--from South Park, The Movie.
Old 06-05-2001, 09:02 PM

dang...seattle 60 on I-5. Too much horsepower? ponies are good but good drivers are even better. Japan's max. hp is 280 hp.
Old 06-05-2001, 09:16 PM

Re: Blame Canada

Originally posted by Extremax

<music>"With all that hockey hullaballoo
and that Beeyotch Anne Murray too..."
"They're not even a real country anyway."</music>
--from South Park, The Movie.
Officer Cartman: I clocked you going 40mph back there, you know what the speed limit is here

Mr. Marsh: Ahh, the sign says 40mph

Cartman: Step out of the car please sir

Mr. Marsh: What's going on here?

Cartman: Just step out of the car... maybe this will teach you to respect my authoritaiiii
Old 06-05-2001, 09:27 PM

ahem

the multi-generational hit tune;

AMERICAN WOMAN

written and originally sung by The Guess Who..a Canadian band..lets give us Canucks a bit of credit for popular "American" culture
and on a way more embarrassing note...Quebec DID give us Celine Dion
Old 06-05-2001, 09:38 PM

Re: ahem

the multi-generational hit tune;

AMERICAN WOMAN

written and originally sung by The Guess Who..a Canadian band..lets give us Canucks a bit of credit for popular "American" culture
and on a way more embarrassing note...Quebec DID give us Celine Dion
Canucks also invented Basketball, Superman, and insulin (in treating diabetes), to name a few (can't remember anymore from those Heritage Canada commercials)

how many remember Celine from the days that she had caterpillars growing over her eyes (huge THICK eyebrows)?
Old 06-05-2001, 09:46 PM

yup

and Volvo built it's first..and maybe only north american assembly plant in Nova Scotia..and how about the BRICKLIN???? there's a set of wheels to remember.
and lets not forget Shania(egads);Keannu Reeves; John Candy;
Michael J. Fox;Barenaked Ladies;...enuff already!!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2001, 09:51 PM

I've read somewhere that stats since California raised its speed limit from 55 to 65 show no increase in the number of accidents (or something like that). It really is about the flow of traffic when it comes to safe driving. Silly hp proposal.
Old 06-05-2001, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by mbcp_tdogg
I've read somewhere that stats since California raised its speed limit from 55 to 65 show no increase in the number of accidents (or something like that). It really is about the flow of traffic when it comes to safe driving. Silly hp proposal.
another thought...the highway speed limits in Canada (100km/h) and the US (55mph where still applicable) were a product of the 70's oil crisis...you'd think they'd raise the limits to pre-oil crisis ones but speeding tickets have become one of the biggest revenue generators for cities
Old 06-06-2001, 04:53 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Sly

Some once told me, you don't have enough hp until you're fighting for traction from corner to corner.

very true ....but in a straight line though.....