5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

is my master/slave cylinder going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 04:07 PM
ahhh! cliMAX!

is my master/slave cylinder going bad?

Today I get into the car, start driving.. clutch feels akwardly soft. It sinks to floor, and I have to hit it with my foot to get it up.
I pull over, check the clutch fluid... pretty damn empty...

I put some dot 3 brake fluid in...

The pedal started to come back up.. but it feels very soft, and it gets stuck for a bit, so when I release the pedal, it hits my foot on the way up.

It also feels as if the engagement point moved down lower...

If it is indeed the master and/or slave cylinder... where would I pick up a new one?

How much around? Any install instructions? ETA on install? Should I have a shop do it?

Thanks.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:29 PM
ahhh! cliMAX!

Anyone?

thanks again.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:45 PM

try bleeding it and see what happens. I ran it empty once and I had to bleed it. Something is leaking in my system so I have to put some DOT 3 every other week.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:03 PM
ahhh! cliMAX!

Well, bleeding is clearly necessary.. but I still need to find the source of leakage.

How can the master cylinder actually go bad? Wouldnt I just need to replace the rubber seals? I could replace those right?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:00 AM

Dude....welcome to my world. My GXE that I sold had 90K plus miles, and the clutch worked like a dream. Now I have an SE with less than 60K and the clutch is one big piece of crapola. I am experiencing the exact same thing....however mine is not leaking. Fluid stays full. You need to check out the master and slave cylinder visually, to find out where the leak is coming from. (if your fluid level drops again). Then, it should be easy for you to diagnose which is bad.

My problem is that no one can diagnose what the issue is with mine, because there are no leaks. The best answer I have gotten is that one of the two are messed up (slave or master cylinder). That's a no brainer, but I don't want to replace either until I know which one it is.

Also, my clutch will sometimes have good take up close to the bottom, and sometimes its at the very top, like a damn mack truck. I have been driving my wife's sequoia because its been pissin me off so bad.

AARRRGGGHHHHH.........

Someone help us here........
Old 12-20-2005, 11:16 AM

You likely have air in the line, and need to bleed it - first of all.
But agree with the others: find the leak...could be tiny, but OFTEN it's the seals at the slave (closer to the engine) or the master res.

OT: I had an annoying squeak in my clutch pedal forever, and finally made the stealer replace the whole assembly.
It took two miles down the road to return.
I've decided to live with it.

gr
Old 12-22-2005, 06:11 PM
ahhh! cliMAX!

hmm.. i bleeded the clutch.. it kind of came back to normal...
but before the whole thing leaked out.. this means there is a leak somewhere.

Looked like the slave was wet... I think I am going to get it replaced tomm.

You guys think I should replace master also?
I know they both have same lifespan.. but the slave is in worse working condition with the heat and everything....

I decided to try the procedure myself.
Anyone have a write-up on how to remove the slave?

Thanks. Is it more than just those 2 bolts?

Any links would be great.
Thanks again.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

haveing problem shifting for first 3 mins ever

The problem is every time in morning after i warm up the car for 10 mins , still have problem shift into gears like its blocked for first 3 mins driving .. my michanic said it MIGHT be the slave/master clynder.... need help pls... wat should i do ????
Old 03-30-2011, 11:10 PM

I had the same problem worth my car and it took many hours to diagnose the problem since the clutch would gain pressure and then loose it. I replaced the master and the slave and the problem still persisted. i started to inspect the metal clutch coil that is designed to remove engine vibration from the clutch pedal and that had one of the smallest cracks in it. This made the clutch loose pressure in an almost un detectable way. I resolved the issue by making a braided stainless steel master line from the master cylinder to the slave. Problem solved and better clutch feel.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:13 AM

I just had this problem 3 days ago. I replaced the slave for 30 bucks. Bled line. Problem solved. Good luck
Old 03-31-2011, 07:58 AM
Zulu

mine was the master clutch..it would just fall down while driving i could snap it back up with my foot. no leakage though. make sure u use the same length..adjusting is a pain.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hello i am new to this site and i kinda have the same problem. I have a 2000 maxima se 5 spd. It has 136k on it and im running into a problem with the transmission. about a week ago i had it at the garage for 2 new axles, axle seals, and the ac compressor. i got the car back and now the transmission is leaking. So i took it back to the garage and the guy said its leaking where the transmission bolts up to the engine? Its all making a clicking type of noise when im driving in 1st gear. its real faint but u still can notice it. so im not sure what is wrong with it. today i drove the car and out of no where the car wouldnt shift into 1st or 2nd gear. so i drove it home in 3rd, 4th and 5th with no problems. i checked the trans fluid and its full.. please someone help me. im running out of money and options lol
Old 03-18-2012, 10:49 AM

Don't mean to hack but I'm having this problem, replaced my slave about three months ago along with all the extra brake line that Nissan made apart of the clutch system. but now if i take a bar and push against the clutch so the slave with go in i hear air coming form the master cylinder. Does this sound like the master cylinder is bad!