5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Factory 2002 Navigation AC Control Buttons Broke Off!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 11:17 AM

Factory 2002 Navigation AC Control Buttons Broke Off!!

While cleaning the Maxima this past weekend, I was cleaning the dash area. I GENTLY (and I emphasize GENTLY) wiped the NAV screen with a cloth and while doing so, 3 of the AC control buttons on the right side of the NAV screen fell (broke) off.

Each button has 3 tabs that hold it into place and each of these 3 tabs on each button broke off and is currently still inside the dash.

Brought it into the dealer and they claimed that there is no way to order just the buttons, that I would have to order a ENTIRELY NEW Nav system ($1500) to fix this and that this would not be covered under our extended warranty. The AC is currently inop because of the missing buttons.

Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:30 AM

glue it if possible
Old 12-10-2005, 11:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

just use the 5 min epoxy.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:04 PM

I'll give that a try. I'd obviously like to get new buttons though. If i glue it, I believe the 3 "pins" on each button will have to line up perfectly for this to work though.

Any recommedations on brands? I've got some Gorilla glue in the garage. Will this work or is there a better alternative?
Old 11-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I got the same problem

I know this is a old thread, but I cant find or think of any solutions to this and I have the same problem I bought a maxima with the buttons already missing and it is hard to use the ac. Is there any solution to this anywhere i can buy new buttons or make my own?
Old 11-08-2010, 07:37 PM

I have another thread open on this right now. I broke the "econ" button only.
Problem is the tabs are so small if you glue them wrong you will never get anything to work. Really stupid way to design the system.

*important* one thing you will notice when trying to figure out how to glue the button(s) back on is that the BOTTOM tab is the one that goes in and out and turns on/off the function that you want. You can use a toothpick on it and see what I mean.

You do NOT want glue around the bottom tab! IF it is at all sloppy, I think it will permanently be inoperable. The top two tabs are the ones you want to try to glue, that is the spot the buttons pivot from. There is very little travel in the button when you push it...

Last edited by trooplewis; 11-08-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I actually dont have the buttons i need new ones or something else in their place because im actually using a small screw driver to use the function
Old 11-08-2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by trooplewis
I have another thread open on this right now. I broke the "econ" button only.
Problem is the tabs are so small if you glue them wrong you will never get anything to work. Really stupid way to design the system.

*important* one thing you will notice when trying to figure out how to glue the button(s) back on is that the BOTTOM tab is the one that goes in and out and turns on/off the function that you want. You can use a toothpick on it and see what I mean.

You do NOT want glue around the bottom tab! IF it is at all sloppy, I think it will permanently be inoperable. The top two tabs are the ones you want to try to glue, that is the spot the buttons pivot from. There is very little travel in the button when you push it...
I actually broke the AUTO button a while ago But I just keep the button in the little change holder to the right of the shift gate and stick the button on when I need to use it and then put it back. Its ghetto but it works.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey Likes It
I'll give that a try. I'd obviously like to get new buttons though. If i glue it, I believe the 3 "pins" on each button will have to line up perfectly for this to work though.

Any recommedations on brands? I've got some Gorilla glue in the garage. Will this work or is there a better alternative?
I don't have a Maxima with the factory nav, but I can tell you already that Gorilla glue is the absolute last thing you want to use in a situation like this! It expands a lot during the curing process and I just know that will cause problems. I've found that an excellent epoxy is sold by Harbor Freight Tools and costs about 99 cents. It doesn't expand at all like GG, and it provides a very strong fix. I used the HF epoxy to fix a broken MAF tube that I accidentally completely broke in half while trying to work on. It's held together for 4 years now in the temperature extremes of the engine compartment.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:07 PM

5-minute epoxy or Superglue would probably be the best thing to try for glue if you go that route. Mine is in the center console too, but want to get it back on the dash if the superglue works.

I am not even sure that you can get the broken-off tabs out of the dash, might have o glue them on while they are in place there. Which is scary.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:21 AM

Yeah I have 3 buttons broken off my Navi, it's very unfortunate. I wish there were a way to order those parts but it's highly highly unlikely that we will find it. At the moment I am using the silver push in thing that you use to eject the sim card slot out of the iPhone. It's kinda sad but funny at the same time.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:07 AM

I have had two buttons on my Nav break. Those buttons are weak, especially for as much use as they get. The first was the "Defrost" button. Superglue did the trick, no problems. It actually seems stronger than before. Now my climate control "Off" button is broken. I live in the Southwest, so that button gets a lot more use. I am worried about a fix with superglue, which weakens with time. I also lost the bottom tab, so gluing it won't help -- the bottom operates the switch.

Hopefully, I will find the tab and be able to glue it. If not, I will look for another fix, like a piece of plastic model tree. I am wondering if modeling glue would be better than super glue. Modeling glue, from what I remember, melts the plastic and reforms the two pieces as one piece. But it requires certain types of plastic. I will keep you guys updated. Any suggestions?
Old 03-11-2011, 03:39 PM

I used sliicone to glue mine back in, as it stays flexible.
So far, so good, been about 3 months.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:46 PM

Anyone tried the wreckers to see how much a used one would be?
Old 03-12-2011, 08:11 PM

Have you went to the junkyard?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:21 AM

damn this **** just happen to me... the one thing cool about my car.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:21 PM

you can get all new buttons for $185.00 plus shipping
Old 12-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by REDJET05
Got some for sale
Old 12-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Get Off My Lawn

For buttons that shouldn't ever need to be removed, any kind of modeling, super, or JB weld. For the temp slider cover, I suggest black silicone gasket maker. Will hold well and is not perminant, should be able to pull off with slight force if need be.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:02 PM

There is no fix for this. I have the stock navi and two of the buttons broke. I use a tiny codder pin to turn off my ac/heat unit. I store it in the little coin holder to the right of the shifter console for easy access. It sucks but blame cheap ****ing Nissan I thought about buying a whole new unit from them but this thing is outdated and im sure the buttons would break again
Old 12-21-2012, 07:14 PM

I know this is a old thread, but I cant find or think of any solutions to this and I have the same problem I bought a maxima with the buttons already missing and it is hard to use the ac. Is there any solution to this anywhere i can buy new buttons or make my own?
Old 04-20-2013, 01:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

maxima navigation buttons

Originally Posted by REDJET05
can u tell me where I can purchase these buttons
Old 02-13-2014, 03:44 PM

I'm gonna give that site above a shot for the repairing of my current unit
Old 02-13-2014, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by tomcat
Please report back. My nav is still in perfect shape but it would be nice to know about a repair option. I always dread day it dies and my HVAC controls go with it.
Yeah I feel you dude trust me, I've resorted to paper clips and codder pins to turn my heat and ac on and off lol. I have a friend that got his repaired at a spot out in cali and they did an excellent job, here's the link but their prices are very steep this other site looks legit as well and it seems cheaper too but my buddy and I are gonna give em a shot.

Here's the other site, they are pricey but call and ask for a quote.

http://www.shortcircuitrepair.com/