5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Y do our brakes suck?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 03:35 PM

Y do our brakes suck?

Can someone tell their best improvements for brakes. I run stock calipers, Irotors rotors and Axxix Metal Pads (which I thnk suk compared to QuietStops). If anyone has driven an ALTIMA, my boy has NOOO PLAY in the pedal. U tap it - ur stopping.

I bled the brakes, and my boy with the same car, has the same mushy pedal. sort of compares to driiving a uhaul truck. I got 90k and my boy got 20k

Whaaassup wit dat?
Old 12-09-2005, 03:38 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Why is you boy driving.. how old is he....

Poor design......
Old 12-09-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm needing a caw

Nope:

Originally Posted by rule da road
Can someone tell their best improvements for brakes. I run stock calipers, Irotors rotors and Axxix Metal Pads (which I thnk suk compared to QuietStops). If anyone has driven an ALTIMA, my boy has NOOO PLAY in the pedal. U tap it - ur stopping.

I bled the brakes, and my boy with the same car, has the same mushy pedal. sort of compares to driiving a uhaul truck. I got 90k and my boy got 20k

Whaaassup wit dat?
Old 12-09-2005, 04:27 PM

For all of those that think that maxima brakes suck... I have been fortunate enough to drive cars like the mercedes sl55 and sl 65 (cars with 8 piston calipers and 15 inch rotors) so i know what cars with good brakes are sopposed to feel like. Our brakes our some of the best on a stock family sedan that i have felt. I have driven every mercedes sedan along with most bmw sedans and our brakes are quite comparable. If your having problems, it might be becuase you are running pads and rotors that are not compatable with eachother. Also, make sure that the pads and rotors were properly seated and broken in! Besides that, im not quite sure what you are expecting, your not driving a formula 1 car. Enough said.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:34 PM
I'm needing a caw

The maxima is the largest / heaviest sedan that Nissan puts the single piston caliper on. And up to recently, still used the tiny 11.x sized rotor. The brakes on the maxima are adequate at best. Especially when the weight for them went up with the intro of the 5-gens but they still used the same crappy brakes. I don't really know how you could have driven something like a bmw 330i and still think the maxima brakes are "some of the best".

Originally Posted by designer485
For all of those that think that maxima brakes suck... I have been fortunate enough to drive cars like the mercedes sl55 and sl 65 (cars with 8 piston calipers and 15 inch rotors) so i know what cars with good brakes are sopposed to feel like. Our brakes our some of the best on a stock family sedan that i have felt. I have driven every mercedes sedan along with most bmw sedans and our brakes are quite comparable. If your having problems, it might be becuase you are running pads and rotors that are not compatable with eachother. Also, make sure that the pads and rotors were properly seated and broken in! Besides that, im not quite sure what you are expecting, your not driving a formula 1 car. Enough said.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:06 PM

Old 12-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by rule da road

Whaaassup wit dat?
WTF did you just say? Please tell me your not white
Old 12-09-2005, 05:18 PM
SuPeRmOd

I painted my calipers red
Old 12-09-2005, 05:28 PM
大陆弟弟

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
LOL...but back to the topic. Matt Blehm sells a kit that either uses 6th gen rotors, or a "big brake kit" using Z32 calipers. That is probably your best solution to better brakes.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Got Penguin?

Originally Posted by NismoMax80

Mmmm Red... that must improve braking ay at least 30ft! I wanna do that to mine.... And add some injen stickers to add horsepower....
Old 12-09-2005, 05:57 PM
The Definitive AE Master

you are speaking in terms of brake performance or pedal feel?

You can try install ss lines and see if there is a improvement. Different pad material makes the brakes feel different also
Old 12-11-2005, 11:46 AM
The Ultimate Driving Machine

I have driven every mercedes sedan along with most bmw sedans and our brakes are quite comparable.

I work for a BMW dealership, and I drive all of the cars around. After driving them all, and even my 330Ci shuttle car... I can tell you the brakes are completely different on the max. Nothing compares to a BMWs stopping power and feel
Old 12-11-2005, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by sciff5
Lol yah I hope he isnt white or else his *** is about to get shot.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Thinks he is fast

It sure is amazing that a somewhat worthy thread started with that haha.
I would agree that our brakes are not too great especially compared to my old prelude with stock rotors and pads. Are the z32 calipers that much better than our 02 stock brakes. They stopped making the old z car in 96 here in the u.s. and I kind of think in the back of my head that putting those brakes on my car is almost a downgrade eventhough they are from a sports car. You would "think" that brakes would have noticeably improved over 6 years, unless they are using an old design which seems to be the case. Has anyone put those brembo's that are on the 350z or ser sentra on a 5th gen max? I know that brembos are pricey but maybe we could find a used set from a wrecked z or brembo equipped spec v.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:05 PM
VW = 30 MPG

Originally Posted by Larrio
you are speaking in terms of brake performance or pedal feel?

You can try install ss lines and see if there is a improvement. Different pad material makes the brakes feel different also
I installed the SS lines ... No difference
Pedal is mushy but believe me the car stops when I want it to
With all the brake upgrades I have done (Rotors & Lines) The breaks feel the same.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:21 PM

what's that suppose to mean? That white people are superior to all other races and that any other race besides white don't have good grammar or etiquette ?
Old 12-11-2005, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by A33 VQ30DEK
what's that suppose to mean? That white people are superior to all other races and that any other race besides white don't have good grammer or etiquette ?
Make sure you are using good grammar when complaining about good grammar.

Edited for 002....
Old 12-11-2005, 04:29 PM

^^^Sorry...that post by sciff5 was off topic and had insulting implications.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by DonGfun
With all the brake upgrades I have done (Rotors & Lines) The breaks feel the same.
def, i'm with you on this one. i got ss lines, hawk pads and slotted rotors and the change between the stock and this is minimal. but i do feel that under certain situations especially when my breakes are heated the car does stop well when the pedal is fully depressed. so its like what other people say, the car is heavy, and the brakes are small. but you get used to it, try to work around it sort of say.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:57 PM

Time to change the lines to SS...Seems like they got mushy on your car.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Park2670

I work for a BMW dealership, and I drive all of the cars around. After driving them all, and even my 330Ci shuttle car... I can tell you the brakes are completely different on the max. Nothing compares to a BMWs stopping power and feel
As a past BMW 5series owner I completely agree. The Max is adequate stock, but no comparison to a high end car.
Brent
Old 12-11-2005, 06:00 PM

Oh I don't know, the stock brakes on our 03 SE are far superior to those on my 95 Vette. The Maxima brakes can be controled with a roll-on of your toes. The vette requires that ya stand on them. Course I'm not trying to slow down from 140+ with the Maxima.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:17 PM
vsamoylov

let me tell you this. i had stock 96 maxima brakes on my car. did the 3.5 swap, they couldnt stop the car and got warped. so i upgraded to 2k2 maxima rotors and calipers. warped the first set of rotors fast, put on another pair of front rotors and warped them again just as fast. i truned them and since there are hotspots on them, the rotors are thrash now. picture the desert with mountains in some areas of hte desert. that is what my front rotors looks like and when i get on the brakes, i get a crazy vibration. Anothr thing i can state is that the material that nissan uses to maek their rotors is cheap. I see nissan cars come in every day into the dealership and with brake problems especially on the late model cars.

Old 12-11-2005, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by maxspeedse02
It sure is amazing that a somewhat worthy thread started with that haha.
I would agree that our brakes are not too great especially compared to my old prelude with stock rotors and pads. Are the z32 calipers that much better than our 02 stock brakes. They stopped making the old z car in 96 here in the u.s. and I kind of think in the back of my head that putting those brakes on my car is almost a downgrade eventhough they are from a sports car. You would "think" that brakes would have noticeably improved over 6 years, unless they are using an old design which seems to be the case. Has anyone put those brembo's that are on the 350z or ser sentra on a 5th gen max? I know that brembos are pricey but maybe we could find a used set from a wrecked z or brembo equipped spec v.
My max has the same that are put on the Altima SE-R...12x inch with bigger pads, works great. Feels better than any max (5.5 gen) I have driven or ridden in without any type of upgrade, and some that were upgraded with "sports" brakes...but I will admit I have never put anything through a scientific test of even we will both see who stops faster...just seat o the pants dyno so to speak, but to me it is noticibly better.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:25 PM
dot dot dot ...

Altima SE-R = A34 brakes... FTW
Old 12-11-2005, 06:32 PM
vsamoylov

yeah the altima brakes are not different from the maxima brakes except for the shiny paint on the calipers and the letters.

Old 12-11-2005, 06:40 PM

maybe not much different from 6th gen, but bigger and better than the normal 5.5 gen
Old 12-11-2005, 06:55 PM
vsamoylov

yeah what you said is true but believe me after 2-3 emergency stops, they will become just like the 2k2-2k3 brakes.

Old 12-11-2005, 07:07 PM
dot dot dot ...

So I guess they're just for looks
Old 12-11-2005, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
yeah what you said is true but believe me after 2-3 emergency stops, they will become just like the 2k2-2k3 brakes.
I dont know about you, but after the first "emergency stop", I am normally stopped and dont need to do another one any time soon normally this is the point where you have she s**t scared out of ya and drive like grandma the rest of the way where you are going.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:22 PM
vsamoylov

better knock on wood dude. lol.

Old 12-11-2005, 07:45 PM

i just put the 300zx/skyline calipers in my maxima and wow what a difference....this is a must mod ull notice it like night and day....stops on a dime
Old 12-14-2005, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by khynex
i just put the 300zx/skyline calipers in my maxima and wow what a difference....this is a must mod ull notice it like night and day....stops on a dime
Did you use different rotors for these calipers? As long as i find a 300zx its all a matter of swapping?
Old 12-14-2005, 06:10 PM
dot dot dot ...

If you have stock wheels the Z32 calipers wont fit.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by A33 VQ30DEK
what's that suppose to mean? That white people are superior to all other races and that any other race besides white don't have good grammar or etiquette ?
I think what he means is that when confused white folks talk like that, they're imitating certain black folks with poor grammar, of which there are more than a few.

Is that PC enough?
Old 12-15-2005, 09:33 AM

Check the sig.... Long Island, NY.... that should answer your question.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:20 PM
Newbies Get All The Chicks

Originally Posted by 002_SecretEgent
^^^Sorry...that post by sciff5 was off topic and had insulting implications.
arab here, also offended
Old 12-15-2005, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by DonGfun
I know it might be apples and oranges, but when I installed SS lines on my Thunderbird SC (big heavy coupe, with undersized brakes) the pedal feel did firm up a bit over the stock mushy feel. Maybe the stock Max lines don't expand as much as my stock SC lines and therefore there isn't as much of a difference.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:07 PM

I've got a 03 TL-S too and they have bigger brake issues than Max does. Be thankful. I run around at a pretty fast clip and my brakes seem fine. I recently swapped to the Brembo slotted with Axxis ultimates and it makes a big difference. Hell I could barely get ABS to trip before. I advise everyone check their calipers as during my brake job I took caliper apart for suspected binding and the piston was definately binding you could see wear spot inside caliper. I've got 88,000 pretty low for caliper issues but then again maybe not. By the way my Ultimates don't squeak Period.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:39 PM

I just installed SS lines, Hawk HPS pads, Slotted rotors, and all new fluid about a little while ago... best braking by far this maxima has ever seen. They have almost no fade, pedal feel is much firmer (especially when the brakes get hot) and no squeeling (yet).

I was really happy when I switched them out, I got tired of slamming around back roads and having to hold on to the wheel for dear god when the brakes got hot; not to mention how much earlier I would have to brake thanks to the horrible fade.

The maxima brakes are good for normal driving, Nissan is not throwing peformance brakes on a $30k family sedan...

Quick Reply: Y do our brakes suck?