5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What do you think?...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 03:32 PM

What do you think?...

Hi all. I currently have a 3G Max SE5, but I'm thinking of getting rid of her for a 5G. I took a look at one today from a private owner, and I'm looking for guidance.

It's a 2002 SE automatic with 100k miles. It's the bright metallic bronze color, with a brown cloth interior (not my favorite ext/int color combo). Everything worked OK on the inside, but the nicks and scrapes on the outside seemed fairly numerous for a 4 year-old car. One of the wheels had a few scrapes...not deep ones, but scabrous nonetheless. I did not detect any accident damage, though I plan to check Carfax anyways.

It has power seats, sunroof, dial AC, locks, windows, CD/Bose stereo, the usual stuff. The car felt strong overall, and did not shift harshly. The engine was dusty, but I did not see any leaks and the fluids were all to their proper levels. The tires also looked to be in good shape. The car is selling for around Kelly Blue Book, which is about $11,400.

How does this sound to you guys? I'm not really familiar at all with 5G Maxes, other than the basic specs. Any problem areas to check? Any insights would be appreciated. I forgot to ask the guy if hehad any records, but he didn't buy the car originally, and it did not seem like he was keeping records on it.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:49 PM
Driving is the next best thing

The major problems with 3.5 liter Maximas is the oil consumption which as far as I know starts at about 100k miles. MAF is another thing which goes bad very often. So, what you should do if you really want this car is take in on a test drive and drive it for as long as possible. After that compare the oil level and take it to AutoZone to check for trouble codes.

On the other hand, if I were you I’d get lower mileage 3.0 liter Maxima…
Old 11-20-2005, 05:29 PM
dot dot dot ...

I'd wait for a lower mileage 5.5g.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:46 PM

Interesting. I wasn't quite ready to snap it up partly because of the color. The fact that the seller didn't seem to know much of the vehicle's history also tipped me off to it not being what I was looking for...other than the fact that it was an auto.

Do the VQ35s really consume oil that badly? My old VE will go 7500 if I let it (which I don't).

To be honest, when it comes to 5G Maxes, half the people tell me to get the VQ30K 00-01s, and the other half tells me to go for an 02-03 VQ35 car. I'm finding it hard to choose. I obviouly would like 6 speeds and more go, but I'm not sure if there is a good reason not to.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Slamnasty
Do the VQ35s really consume oil that badly? My old VE will go 7500 if I let it (which I don't).

To be honest, when it comes to 5G Maxes, half the people tell me to get the VQ30K 00-01s, and the other half tells me to go for an 02-03 VQ35 car. I'm finding it hard to choose. I obviouly would like 6 speeds and more go, but I'm not sure if there is a good reason not to.
Okay, about the oil consumption. There are people who have this problem, but there a WAY more people who don’t. I am really sick of hearing about it; I would not let a few cases of people who have an oil consumption problem dissuade you from getting an 02-03.

I will offer you some advice on your purchase. Get the exact car you want. If you don’t like the interior or you think it has too many miles or whatever don’t get it. Don’t make the mistake of settling for an auto if you really want a 6-speed, because you’re going to drive that car everyday wishing you had waited. It took me 4 months of searching before I found my Maxima and im glad I waited. Keep checking autotrader.com and the classifieds, im sure the perfect car is out there for you.

As for the 5th gens vs. the 5.5 gens. Once again it’s up to you. Drive both like I did and see what one you like better. I just preferred the 5.5 and I wanted a 6-speed rather then a 5-speed. Good luck!
Old 11-20-2005, 10:26 PM

When I bought my 2k2 SE, Sunlit Sand was not my first choice in color. Actually I wanted the grey lustre metallic, but once I test drove the grey (it had black interior) i didn't like it as much, as from previous experience, black interior gets HOTTTT!!! in Florida.

I have leather interior and the lighter color really made a difference, but I agree with Lethal, don't buy it unless it's realy something you think you're going to enjoy.
Keep searching until you truly find what you like. 100k miles is alot of miles for a 2k2, even if it was all higway miles, it's had alot of wear and tear.

Good luck with your search
Old 11-20-2005, 10:36 PM

Interesting. I wasn't quite ready to snap it up partly because of the color. The fact that the seller didn't seem to know much of the vehicle's history also tipped me off to it not being what I was looking for...other than the fact that it was an auto.

Advantages of 5.5:

Powerful even in stock condition
6 – speed transmission
more comfortable seats
better looks
HID headlites
newer vehicle

Advantages of 5.0:

More potential horsepower (due to the fact that it’s stronger - more horsepower from turbo/super charging; ability to rev higher without rev-limiter; such basic mods as y-pipe or timing advance will result in more horsepower increase than the same mods to 3.5 liter engine)

5 – speed transmission (although it’s only 5 speed, it transfers more power to the ground than 5.5 gen 6-speed )

Stronger, more reliable engine (don’t get me wrong, both engines are very good)

last Maxima made in Japan

lower theft rate
Old 11-20-2005, 11:22 PM

I have to dissent concering high mileage being a negative factor. In fact it is positive as mileage makes for great leverage when negotiating vehicle price. Mileage bears little relevance in terms of vehicle condition. My has 140k on the odometer and is in excellent condition;I have seen Maximas with 25k that look much worse, my old 00 with 74k was certainly inferior in terms of condition. But I digress. The way the previous owner treated/maintained the vehicle has the highest impact on it's current condition. Maximas are well built cars and 100k is not am exuberant amount of miles for this perticular car. Just my $.02
Old 11-21-2005, 04:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrKlop
Advantages of 5.5:

Powerful even in stock condition
6 – speed transmission
more comfortable seats
better looks
HID headlites
newer vehicle

Advantages of 5.0:

More potential horsepower (due to the fact that it’s stronger - more horsepower from turbo/super charging; ability to rev higher without rev-limiter; such basic mods as y-pipe or timing advance will result in more horsepower increase than the same mods to 3.5 liter engine)

5 – speed transmission (although it’s only 5 speed, it transfers more power to the ground than 5.5 gen 6-speed )

Stronger, more reliable engine (don’t get me wrong, both engines are very good)

last Maxima made in Japan

lower theft rate
-The 5.5 gen actually can make more hp due to higher displacement. Why do you think Tilley and Mardigras have both went to the 3.5 block?

-adding a y-pipe,ect will add more hp to the 3.0 than the 3.5, but you still can't get to the hp output of a 3.5 w/out FI in a 3.0.

-6 speed will help your times. More gears= more time in the top rpm range.

-my 5.5 gen was made in Japan. All 5.5 gens were made there. the 6th gen moved to North America

I know it sounds like I'm promoting the 5.5 gen, but I'm really not. I'd get the 3.0 just because the engine is smoother and not prone to oil consumption. I go through two quarts every 1,000 miles.

DrKlop: please try to give correct information next time.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:57 AM
dot dot dot ...

There's some misinformation here.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:04 AM

That's interesting about the engine differences. I've driven one example of a 5G-A Max and a 5G-B one, and they both felt way more powerful down low than my VE 93 car (which itself feels 10x more powerful than my old VG 87 car).

I was not so concerned with the mileage on the car. The price he's asking is almost exactly what Blue Book is on the car with the given options and assuming an almost perfect exterior. Sadly, the exterior is less perfect than I had hoped, so, aside from all the color and auto tranny madness, I'm not going to get it.

As far as oil consumption is concerned, I believe that has to do with how the car is broken in at the start of its life. I've heard that, for example, Mitsu Evos, if not strictly coddled through the first 1500 miles, will suck oil like crazy because the seals weren't properly broken in.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by GBAUER
-The 5.5 gen actually can make more hp due to higher displacement. Why do you think Tilley and Mardigras have both went to the 3.5 block?
I'm not an expert here and I cant explain exactly why you can actually get more performance out of 3.0 liter, but if you go and spend some time in all motor section you WILL AGREE with me on this.

-adding a y-pipe,ect will add more hp to the 3.0 than the 3.5, but you still can't get to the hp output of a 3.5 w/out FI in a 3.0.
it's not what I said, I said that such mods make more difference in performance of VQ30, obviously VQ35 will still output more power.

-6 speed will help your times. More gears= more time in the top rpm range.
True, more gears allow you to keep you engine closer to optimal rpm point but there are two drawbacks to this tranny in particular. First, more gears = more shifting =more waisted time. Second, 5th gen 5-speed tranny transmits higher % of power to the wheels.

-my 5.5 gen was made in Japan. All 5.5 gens were made there. the 6th gen moved to North America
Well, you could be correct on that because I found out the information on where both cars on maxima.org an not from some official document. How do you know that 5.5 was also build in Japan? My apologies if I'm indeed wrong about where it was built.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:28 AM
dot dot dot ...

I'm not an expert here and I cant explain exactly why you can actually get more performance out of 3.0 liter, but if you go and spend some time in all motor section you WILL AGREE with me on this.
You sure it's all motor? I would say F/I forums, but not the All Motor when comparing the 3.5 and DEK.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
You sure it's all motor? I would say F/I forums, but not the All Motor when comparing the 3.5 and DEK.
F/I could also give some info but there’s something about how far the pistons move or something like that, that makes a significant difference, which is why I said all motor.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:39 AM
dot dot dot ...

You should read up more. :
Old 11-21-2005, 07:48 AM

You should read up more. :
I guess I should, but it doesn't make my previous posts wrong...
Old 11-21-2005, 07:51 AM
dot dot dot ...

Yes it does.

You say y-pipe will increase HP more on 3.0 than 3.5, yes, but what about headers on a 3,5L vs 3.0L?

And the whole higher revving deal, not sure where you got that misinformation from.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:03 AM

Yes it does.

You say y-pipe will increase HP more on 3.0 than 3.5, yes, but what about headers on a 3,5L vs 3.0L?

And the whole higher revving deal, not sure where you got that misinformation from.
Headers? What about headers, did I even mention them?
Also, please, don't call misinformation something that you are not sure about.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:06 AM
Banned

Look. Bottom line is that the 3.5 has the ability to throw out a lot more power than the 3.0, no matter how you dice it. The 3.0, however, has proven it's reliability in the long-haul (no 3.5 that I've ever heard of has hit 200k, not to say it won't, but hasn't been done yet). So, the real question is: what do you want to do with it? Make power? Go a ton of miles? It all depends on what you want to do.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:08 AM
dot dot dot ...

Headers? What about headers, did I even mention them?
Also, please, don't call misinformation something that you are not sure about
Im sure about the rev limtiers of each engine, you're not.

I mentioned headers giving more gain on 3.5 than 3.0, once again proving your theory wrong about what engine responds better to mods I think we're in a pissing contest now, but I had to clear up this statement...
ability to rev higher without rev-limiter
If you feel to further explain yourself, I'd be glad to read what you have to say to back up your statement. I'm guessing it's something along the line of rod bolt design.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:10 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by GBAUER
Look. Bottom line is that the 3.5 has the ability to throw out a lot more power than the 3.0, no matter how you dice it.
Can you let me be in my pissing contest Oh yeah... Depends on what you want.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:19 AM
Banned

Can you let me be in my pissing contest Oh yeah... Depends on what you want.
Whooo! I started the correction of DrKlop, thank you!

Old 11-21-2005, 08:24 AM
dot dot dot ...

You started the corrections, I started the pissing contest.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:29 AM

If headers give more HP increase to 3.5 it doesn't mean that everything else does the same thing. Talking about who wants what. Power in stock condition - 3.5, Powerful and reliable slightly modified engine - 3.0 Maximum possible power using all possible means - 3.0 Just what I meant in my original post.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:32 AM
Banned

If headers give more HP increase to 3.5 it doesn't mean that everything else does the same thing. Talking about who wants what. Power in stock condition - 3.5, Powerful and reliable slightly modified engine - 3.0 Maximum possible power using all possible means - 3.0 Just what I meant in my original post.
You still don't get it. What do you think is under the hood of the world's fastest maxima? A VQ35DE.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:34 AM
dot dot dot ...

Headers do not give as good of gains on a 3.0L vs 3.5L due to 3.5L stock manifolds being extra cali-spec.

3.0 Maximum possible power using all possible means
There's no replacement for displacement.

But if you mean all available, (i.e. no F.I as readily available for 3.5L vs 3.0L).. then yes.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:49 AM

There's no replacement for displacement.
What do you think is under the hood of the world's fastest maxima? A VQ35DE.
it is only possible with a rebuilt engine - different and stronger internals, not with an original VQ35DE
Old 11-21-2005, 08:58 AM
dot dot dot ...

it is only possible with a rebuilt engine - different and stronger internals, not with an original VQ35DE
Check the Z forums, lots of guys running some good boost on stock internals.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:01 AM

as long as its stick, ull be happy. each engine has its pros and cons. id say wait and save, keep reading bout both engines and in time ull find the max thats right for u.

imo i wouldnt buy a car that new with that many miles.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:33 AM

Check the Z forums, lots of guys running some good boost on stock internals.
they got like 6 - 8 psi which is alot but some people on the org I believe are running 12 -16 psi with VQ30, and again, those kits are not available for maximas. (as bolt on kits)
Old 11-21-2005, 11:28 AM

Uh, can I have my thread back please?

No need to get all Hatfield-McCoy about it. I'm a fan of both the VQ30 and the VQ35. I'd love to have either car, it's mostly the 6-speed that's selling me on the 5G-B Maxes (I had a Spec V for a bit and loved hitting 6th for the final gear). That, and the possibility of finding one with Xenons on it, but that's not a big deal to change.

Anyhow, thanks for the info. If I need to mod whatever I get, I'll know which three people to talk to.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:58 PM
Banned

Uh, can I have my thread back please?

No need to get all Hatfield-McCoy about it. I'm a fan of both the VQ30 and the VQ35. I'd love to have either car, it's mostly the 6-speed that's selling me on the 5G-B Maxes (I had a Spec V for a bit and loved hitting 6th for the final gear). That, and the possibility of finding one with Xenons on it, but that's not a big deal to change.

Anyhow, thanks for the info. If I need to mod whatever I get, I'll know which three people to talk to.
FYI: I just dumped another 2 qts of oil in my car today. This is what my engine does to oil --->
Old 11-21-2005, 02:09 PM
99 SE-L

I got my 2002 SE with 85K for 9k

Old 11-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Banned

I got my 2k2 with 12 miles on it (6 of which I put on) for 26k, but you have a good point. That car is worth (fair market value at least) about 8k give or take.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:13 PM
dot dot dot ...

I got my 03 w/ 37k for 17,250
Old 12-20-2005, 08:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

sure go for it