5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Pepboys Nighmare!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 01:19 PM
Banned

Pepboys Nighmare!

So i took my car to Pepboy's over the weekend just to have a tune up done, get a couple tires for winter, and the belts tightened. I know how amazing it sounds, but 2 days and 400 dollars later i got the car back and it is WORSE than before i gave it to them. teh belts still squeel and the car misfires very bad until i get on it a little and then it corrects itself, but the next time i drive, it is right back. what do you think the prob is and do i want to take the car back there to get it fixed?
Old 11-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

not raggin on ya but takin your car to pep boys is your first problem
Old 11-20-2005, 01:22 PM

yeah had a bad experience there also,
Old 11-20-2005, 01:24 PM
But why is teh Rum gone?

You would be better off at the stealership. Ask for your money back if the belts are still squealing.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

ya they're corporate if you b!tch enough they will be forced to reimburse you, at the very least, partially. just make sure u contanct management if they say that they won't do anything.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

dont ever take your car to pepboys, they could of done something to your car.
they do ****ty jobs, or not even do it then charge you money for it. thats what they did to my cousin. he went to get the alignment done. and after a couple hrs he went back to pick up his car. he paid for it and everything and drove it home. he comes over my house and i look at his steering wheel, its still crooked. so i go to pepboys with him to see what happened. my cousin shows him the recipt and the guy says "oh sorry our alignment machine was out of order" im like "what?" so why in the hell would you chage him and let him go out of the store? i was so shocked, we just walked out of the store saying were never coming back to this store again. so i learned from my cousin to never go there.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:39 PM
Banned

yea i know that they are not the best place to go but i figured they could do something as simple as a tune up sithout destroying my car.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:46 PM

The one time I had a misfire was because one of the coilpacks did not want to snap all the way in. If you were in front of the car standing over the engine, it was the top right one. I just pushed it really hard and it finally snapped in and has been fine ever since.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:47 PM

I noticed that almost all large corporate repair shops do a lousy job. Last few years I've found that small neighborhood mechanic shops do a way better job and much cheaper than the stealership. Plus I can stand and watch the work being done on my car in small shops.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:54 PM
Banned

I already called them and told them that i was not satisfied with the level of work done on the car and they said it is not their fault b/c they did not do diagnostics on the car and recomend a tune up to me, i just went and had it done. the problem is that i never saw the car do what it is doing now and i have had it for about 4 years.
this is obviously their fault and i am going to make them wish they had fixed it right the first time by getting all pi$$ed off about it.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Matt's00MAX
I already called them and told them that i was not satisfied with the level of work done on the car and they said it is not their fault b/c they did not do diagnostics on the car and recomend a tune up to me, i just went and had it done. the problem is that i never saw the car do what it is doing now and i have had it for about 4 years.
this is obviously their fault and i am going to make them wish they had fixed it right the first time by getting all pi$$ed off about it.

If they did a tune up they HAD to remove the coilpacks... I would check and make sure they are all snapped in correctly.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:58 PM

oh, try to get your money back, tell them exactly how you feel, and try to cause a scence, they have you give your money back. i ****in hate pepboys.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ricedout
oh, try to get your money back, tell them exactly how you feel, and try to cause a scence, they have you give your money back.
If it is just a loose coilpack, they dont have to give money back, and they also HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT TO FIX THE MISTAKE BEFORE THEY GIVE ANY MONEY BACK. The only way you are have a legal right to have money refunded is if they refuse to fix the problem. If the belts still make noise... take it back and have them do it again, if they refuse.... THEN you have a right to demand a refund.

Making a scene only makes you look like the a**hole. The best way to get what you want is to be a professional, if the manager will not help you, talk to his boss and so on. Call the corporate office, have names written down and what was said. Not only might you get a refund, you might get extras as well.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:07 PM
Banned

i think i will just cause a scene and try to get the money back. the thing that pi$$es me off the most is when they lie to you about the car and what is wrong like you are stupid or something b/c they think that you don't know anything about cars and they think that you are just gonna belive them b/c they are so called mechanics.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:34 PM

ok, talk to them in a gentle manner, if that doesnt work raise hell. and yes you will look like an ***, and it will scare all the customers away, and thats what my main point is. to give them bad rep. but ill be pissed also if they did that kind of sh!tty service to my car. i would definately try to get my money back and take it somewhere else.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:19 PM

I used to be a service advisor for one near me and yes they do some shady things around there,but I do know one thing and that is if you complain enuf youll most deff. get something out of it for your troubles,also call 1-800-Pep Boys (737-2697) and tell them your problem and who all you spoke with there and raise some hell when you do it and that should take care of it. If I can help let me know.
Charles
Old 11-20-2005, 05:21 PM

So i took my car to Pepboy's over the weekend just to have a tune up done, get a couple tires for winter, and the belts tightened. I know how amazing it sounds, but 2 days and 400 dollars later i got the car back and it is WORSE than before i gave it to them. teh belts still squeel and the car misfires very bad until i get on it a little and then it corrects itself, but the next time i drive, it is right back. what do you think the prob is and do i want to take the car back there to get it fixed?
Did they put any new plugs in your car? If so, what kind. I would start there. You should only put the recommended spark plugs for our Max's to avoid any future problems. Yeah, stay away from Pep Boys. They have anybody working in there on cars that really don't know what they're doing.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:02 PM

At our local Pepboys the employees have a nightly burnout contest at the back of the store with any cars that customers have left there for the night.

Nice place that Pepboys.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:07 PM
Banned

well they put NGK's in that costs $7 a piece and i thought they would be plenty good.
i will go up and get teh prob fixed but i have to wait till friday to go b/c i work all week.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Banned

well they put NGK's in that costs $7 a piece and i thought they would be plenty good.
i will go up and get teh prob fixed but i have to wait till friday to go b/c i work all week.
plugs for the max cost around 80-100 a set of six. You probably got the wrong ones.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:20 PM
Banned

i asked on here about them and everyone said that they would be fine.
are they not the right kind for my car?
Old 11-21-2005, 03:30 PM
Thinks he is fast

My guess would be the parts not the monkey working at pep boys. Those places have some of the worst quality parts ever. I worked at a lincoln dealer and 9/10 times cars with misfires coming in would be coming from a pep boys type of place putting the cheapest available parts on the cars and they just don't work. We would replace them with some OEM wires and everything would be fine. Is the check engine light coming on? Is there any way you can prove them something is definatley wrong? I would advise you to go to the manager and explain your situation, ask him to drive the car.

Always go OEM (or a trusted quality aftermarket brand) you never know what you are getting yourself into with those cheap parts.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Whtmax'01
I noticed that almost all large corporate repair shops do a lousy job. Last few years I've found that small neighborhood mechanic shops do a way better job and much cheaper than the stealership. Plus I can stand and watch the work being done on my car in small shops.
nto only do they do a crappy auto repair job..but god forbid you take your stereo to a place like best buy or circuit city...they will destroy your dash, not ground your wires properly, and tell you that someone else did a mickey mouse job on your car back in the day. Please..that $hit doesnt fly with me.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:15 PM
drag racing is for wussies

My friend used to work for Pep Boys- when U specified Plat plugs they would install Champions or AC delco 99 cent plugs in there. You want Mobil 1 ATF ? U get cheap COASTAL oil if you get lucky. Those places hire retarded mechanics who couldn't make it at the dealerships due to things like- can't read or write. I remember years ago while going through Audi special tech traning in Phoenix AZ, I looked for a job to just keep me ocupied for 3 months while I was there. I tried to get a job at Pep Boys, they interviewed me like no dealership I ever worked at. They also told me that I didn't fit the tech desription ! After 5 min of interview I told the idiot off and left 100feet of rubber accross their shop in my Turbo Sentra, must have sucked to scrape off all that rubber off their floor.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:30 PM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Originally Posted by SHOman
At our local Pepboys the employees have a nightly burnout contest at the back of the store with any cars that customers have left there for the night.

Nice place that Pepboys.
A$$holes!
Old 11-21-2005, 07:33 PM
Looking for a few good Maximas

Dude, next time I will personally drive down there and do the work for the $400 MYSELF.

Get tires online... they are cheap and come right to your doorstep... then get cozy with some guys at a Midas and they'll install for cheap. YOU can tighten the belts yourself.... that's why the ORG exists, if not for a plethora of experts and info to help you.

!!!!
Old 11-22-2005, 07:56 AM
Banned

so another update
to answer your question, yes, tthe check engine light is on and it was actually blinking while i was driving and the missfire was happening yesterday.
i looked around under the hood of my car and i am missing 2 alen wrench style bolts on the engine cover and a bolt that holds my throttle line in place before it gets to the pully. i am taking it in at noon today to find out exactly what they did, ( or didn't do), to my car. i have a feeling that something is just loose on one of the spark plugs b/c the missfire is only sometimes, it comes and goes as i drive. hopefully i can get some type of reinbursement due to the fact that it tool them 2 days to do it in the first place and now i have to take it back again.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:27 AM

Damn, what happened to you sucks. I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. I would never dream of taking my car to Pep Boys for service EVER! They're only good for parts =)
Old 11-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Banned

I just took my car back and they wanted more money to fix it correctly i told them i would not pay more so they got a hold of the regional service manager and he called me. I explained the how they did not fullfill their end of the contract that i signed and he agreed to fully reimburse me for the $400 and all that is wrong is the coil pack in cylender 4. could that be caused by using the incorrect plugs or not b/c they used NGK plugs that cost $1.89 a piece and now i had them put the iridiums in.