5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just got the Frankencar catback put on and im a bit dissapointed...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 09:13 AM

Just got the Frankencar catback put on and im a bit dissapointed...

Hey all i got my frankencar catback system installed on my 00 max on sat. It sounded perfect the first time i started it up but now it seems like the sound went away after an hour. It sounds pretty much stock now. I dont hear anything in the cabin anymore and i get this burning smell from the catback. I guess its breaking in? Has anyone experienced this problem? Will the low mellow tone come back? Im guessing it needs time to break-in, if so how long will this take?
Also if the sound doesnt comeback, im thinking of just taking off the resonator and installing a straight 2.5 pipe where the resonator sat. Is this a good idea? I dont want to attract too much attention I WANT MY LOW RUMBLE BACK! Feedback is appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-31-2005, 09:18 AM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Originally Posted by OutMaxxed
Hey all i got my frankencar catback system installed on my 00 max on sat. It sounded perfect the first time i started it up but now it seems like the sound went away after an hour. It sounds pretty much stock now. I dont hear anything in the cabin anymore and i get this burning smell from the catback. I guess its breaking in? Has anyone experienced this problem? Will the low mellow tone come back? Im guessing it needs time to break-in, if so how long will this take?
Also if the sound doesnt comeback, im thinking of just taking off the resonator and installing a straight 2.5 pipe where the resonator sat. Is this a good idea? I dont want to attract too much attention I WANT MY LOW RUMBLE BACK! Feedback is appreciated. Thanks
Ill swap your Frankencar Muffer/Rear Section for my Cattman Rear Section. You will get some NICE sound with it. Ive been trying to trade mine for the frankencar for a couple of weeks because I want to go back to less sound. I only have 1500 miles on the exhaust, its still clean and shiny if you are interested.

Here is the thread!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=435625

And before you ask, yes they are completely interchangeable!
Old 10-31-2005, 09:20 AM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Oh, and weird smells are common from new exhaust systems. The sound will only get quieter. My Cattman was very loud and annoying at first, but it mellowed and now sounds "deep and throaty". You definetly know its there.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:35 AM

i love how mine sounds, with my y pipe it has a lil growl, very stock 350ish
Old 10-31-2005, 09:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Oxymoron, if you ask me.

You are disappointed because its too quiet? What did you have before?

If you wanted a low rumble of any kind, then ya shouldn't have bought a FC. The low mellow tone you will get when the car is cold, and maybe with a y-pipe or some headers, but its by no means a rumble.

You could try removing the resonator, but I have no idea how "good" it will sound. You can send Ghase a PM and ask him. He has the FC rear with a custom unresonated b-pipe.

Btw, bear in mind that the overall quality of the parts should compensate somewhat for it not being as loud as you wanted...
Old 10-31-2005, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by ColdSHO
i love how mine sounds, with my y pipe it has a lil growl, very stock 350ish
I'd definitely agree with that....
Old 10-31-2005, 09:54 AM

i get more sound out of my intake than my exhaust, u want more sound get an intake of some kind, thats all theyre really good for anyway
Old 10-31-2005, 10:31 AM
Joo wanna play??......ok we go to war

Frankencar with Hotshot headers is perfect.....my car is the video clip on frankencar.com
-J
Old 10-31-2005, 10:57 AM

i plan on adding hotshots within the next few months, i lil more growl would be perfect, do u have an intake at all?
Old 10-31-2005, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Oxymoron, if you ask me.

You are disappointed because its too quiet? What did you have before?

If you wanted a low rumble of any kind, then ya shouldn't have bought a FC. The low mellow tone you will get when the car is cold, and maybe with a y-pipe or some headers, but its by no means a rumble....

10 Char
Old 10-31-2005, 09:42 PM

i love the sound of my exhaust...y-pipe + cattman rear section...

out of money, so no b-pipe yet..
Old 10-31-2005, 10:10 PM

if you're throwing on a frankencar catback alone, with no other mod on your car... it's only going to be slightly louder than stock. when you put y pipe or headers or test pipe, you'll get more sound. intake may increase sound a bit.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:59 AM
Sports Button FTW

forget about the straight pipe. Get headers or atleast a y-pipe to amplify the sound a little. straight pipe does nothing for performance really and sometimes can give u a nasty sound when the rest of the exhaust comes together.

from experience, i know exhaust only gets quieter as it breaks in. Thats what happened with my old OBX setup. i would keep and wait for another major exhaust upgrade or trade for a greddy to get more sound right away.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by meccanoble
from experience, i know exhaust only gets quieter as it breaks in. Thats what happened with my old OBX setup. i would keep and wait for another major exhaust upgrade or trade for a greddy to get more sound right away.
No, Sell it to me someone who could appreciate low exhaust output... I have good american cash too.... Don't make me beg Damnit!
Old 11-01-2005, 06:39 AM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Hay! I called shotgun on it first :-P

After I get it you can have my cattman!
Old 11-01-2005, 07:55 AM

kel, just get a y-pipe. more sound and more power. i know what kind of sound you looking for, like the z, most people say y pipe with frankencar is the closest. so why dont you try that?
Old 11-01-2005, 11:16 AM

Missed your prev. post, we keep meeting like this. Alright I rescind my offer....

Originally Posted by rbrown81
Hay! I called shotgun on it first :-P

After I get it you can have my cattman!
Old 11-01-2005, 01:02 PM
retired moderator

from the Frankencar site:

"This exhaust increases sound levels less then any other exhaust i've heard for Maximas"

this means "it's the quietest"
Old 11-01-2005, 01:08 PM

quiestest yes, and somehow i managed to get pulled over for being too lud, must have been a slow day for that cop. gald i didnt get a ticket, that would just be insane.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:55 PM

you seriously got pulled over for it? haha thats kinda funny... my intake is 20x louder then my exhaust
Old 11-01-2005, 03:29 PM

i actually couldnt hold it in, i laughed right in front of the officer. i asked him about all the loud civics and such, he said theyre loud too, but he'll get to them too.

u want rumble get an electronic cutout.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:21 PM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Someone messaged me regarding swapping my muffler for their Franken-car. This may be related, but if not my apologies for hijacking the thread.

I will definetly swap - My emails to your address keep getting returned!
Old 11-01-2005, 06:25 PM

my 2 cents...if you want a nice mellow, decently loud sound go with a greddy with silencer...I love the way this exhaust sounds....
Old 11-01-2005, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by vman
my 2 cents...if you want a nice mellow, decently loud sound go with a greddy with silencer...I love the way this exhaust sounds....
No sound clip, no care...

Post here when ya get it: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=407975

Thanks...
Old 11-01-2005, 06:49 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by vman
Greddy exhaust systems don't come with a silencer
Old 11-01-2005, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by steven88
Greddy exhaust systems don't come with a silencer
That's what I thought too:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....reddy+silencer

Old 11-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Need A Light?

Any pix of the setup vman? I'm pretty sure the silencer you got isn't stock from Greddy...as far as I know, Greddy doesn't use silencers for their exhausts
Old 11-02-2005, 05:51 AM

The only Greddy's with silencers I've seen are the fakes on Ebay. Hope yours isn't...
Old 11-02-2005, 05:55 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Yes that smell is normal. My system does not sound like stock. Sound is definitely noticeable. Not as loud as my old Greddy but still cabin noise is still there.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:20 AM

try having someone else drive your car and you listen from the outside. guaranteed it won't sound stock
Old 11-02-2005, 07:48 AM

Does the sound of the exhaust really matter that much? Just get some headers or a y-pipe and it'll give you some hp and sound much "better". If that's still not "loud" enough, then get a GReddy or something.