5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Remote Start on 5spd Question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 12:59 PM

Remote Start on 5spd Question...

Hey guys I want to get a remote start system for my car. I'm aware that you're not technically supposed to put most of the systems in a car with manual transmission like mine, however, I know that you can simply bypass the clutch. I also heard that they now make systems that have a chip of some sort that won't allow the car to start unless the e-brake is engaged but that's not a problem bc I always use the e-brake no matter what. Does anybody have a remote start for their 5 or 6 speed and know how to bypass the clutch or how complicated this is? Thanks.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:09 PM

connect the nuetral safey switch the the white/green wire ecu pin 44
Old 09-12-2005, 03:37 PM
ABS

If I am not mistaken the white/green goes to the PNP switch on the manual tranny. You may also want to include another check on the e-brake as you described - I think testing for ground might work for that.

You will also have to figure out the clutch bypass which I think requires putting the clutch switch to ground during starting (it's been a while).

As a side note, after figuring out how to do it, I never enabled the remote start as I saw it as too much of an insurance risk if the car was still in gear.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by ABS
If I am not mistaken the white/green goes to the PNP switch on the manual tranny. You may also want to include another check on the e-brake as you described - I think testing for ground might work for that.

You will also have to figure out the clutch bypass which I think requires putting the clutch switch to ground during starting (it's been a while).

As a side note, after figuring out how to do it, I never enabled the remote start as I saw it as too much of an insurance risk if the car was still in gear.
the way i described of doing it will PREVENT the car to crank if the tranny is in gear.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i've been wanting to get a remote start car for my car for a while, but i keep putting it off. i do know, however, to bypass the clutch. its actually quite simple. when you push in the clutch, the clutch pedal actually pushes a button. when you push this button, it connects 2 wires together that registers it as the clutch is pushed in. only now that the clutch is pushed in, the car can start. but if you clip the two wires that are behind the button, you can connect them and the clutch will always be "engaged". This only works for starting your car, driving and shifting will still go on normally. it doesn't affect them. also, what i did was ran those 2 wires to a switch so now i can turn the clutch on and off. this comes in handy when my friends get the clever idea to steal my keys and take off in my car. unfortunately, the switch says that the clutch is off, so the car wont start, even though the clutch is pushed in. i find it to be a good anti-theft device. since technically the purpose of the button is a safety purpose, bypassing might not be a good idea. because now you can start your car without the clutch, so just make sure you aren't in gear or you have the clutch pushed in. i hope this helps. pm me if you get one and tell me what remote starter you got and how its workin for you. i hope to eventually get around to gettin one.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:50 PM

I have remote start on my 5 speed. Even though you start your car, other people may park it. I just had my car re-alligned and I started my car after they had parked it, my car took off for the races. Luckly I disengaged the remote start from the keyless and it stop before it hit anything. Just remember that it may not always be in neutral. But bypassing a clutch is easy. I have a simple switch I can toggle back and forth to allow the car to start/not start.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:12 PM
Play with my balls

yep, switch at pedal is how you bypass clutch. now are you getting the remote start module using the oem keyfob, and the bypass module, right? that's probably the best route to keep everything else oem and cheapest.....no wiring the factory disarm, hooking up door locks and a bunch of other wires to deal with.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:20 PM

If you were to tie those wires together to make it appear (electrically) that the clutch was always engaged, would your cruise control still work? Because pushing the clutch in while cruise control is active disengages it...
Old 09-12-2005, 05:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by bkucera
If you were to tie those wires together to make it appear (electrically) that the clutch was always engaged, would your cruise control still work? Because pushing the clutch in while cruise control is active disengages it...
your cruise control still works, its the actual pedal that disengauges the cruise control
Old 09-12-2005, 06:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

there is a separate switch for the cruise, mounted at the top of the pedal travel, whereas the CPP is at the bottom.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:50 PM

Bewstadd1ct: Can you run all that by me a little more in depth. I want to wire my remote start up like that. Maybe you can shoot me to a website that I can read up on and do that. I don't want my car taking off again.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:17 PM

i dont have a website, or any reference, im just looking at a wiring diagram.

theres a wire that goes to the ebrake, when the ebrake is pulled, the switch provides a ground path. you would be tying into this ground path, and the ebrake being pulled would simulate the clutch being fully depressed.

dont cut the LB wire at the clutch switch... just make a splice, that way you can start EITHER with the clutchdepressed, or the ebrake pulled.

now that i told you, please make your sig not sooo big... plz

thx
Old 09-13-2005, 07:30 PM

You can use 2 relays to engage the clutch when the car is auto-started.

Don't tell me I'm wrong, I've done this way too many times

Old 09-13-2005, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Igor911

that post is wrong in SOOO many ways.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by BewstAdd1ct
that post is wrong in SOOO many ways.
prove it
Old 09-13-2005, 08:15 PM

no problem ...

the clutch is mechanically engaged, via a diaphragm spring on the pressure plate. theres no way a relay can 'engage' a clutch. maybe disengage, if you were to come up with an electro-hydraulic unit to act in place of the clutch pedal.

all your diagram does is add redundant relays, and is a bit different that what you said earlier, about simply connecting gn/wh to the NSS...

and futher investigation shows that pin 44 of the ECU isnt the clutch wire, so im modifying my previous posts for accuracy.

pin 44 gn/wh has NOTHING to do with the starting system.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:23 PM

and even more, your diagram isnt quite correct. not only do you not have the pin numbers listed, the clutch switch is (-) switched, and only GND when depressed... if youre connecting to the relay coil side of the wire, then it MIGHT make sense... however, if the terminals on the right and left of the relays are 85, 86, then you have a redundant relay.

thats the way it appears, to bea half-asz bosch SPDT relay. but your 30 pin is 90º off.

Old 09-13-2005, 08:25 PM

bottom relay would stay engaged all the time, the coil has a B+ and a GND.

unless by (+) you dont mean B+. but half your wires arent labeled anyway
Old 09-13-2005, 08:36 PM

no problem ...
the clutch is mechanically engaged, via a diaphragm spring on the pressure plate. theres no way a relay can 'engage' a clutch. maybe disengage, if you were to come up with an electro-hydraulic unit to act in place of the clutch pedal.
WRONG.

When you start the car, you push the clutch down. THERE IS A BUTTON the clutch presses that lets the car know the clutch has been depressed for it to start.

My diagram sends out the + signal to the switch that tricks it into thinking the clutch was depressed.

You're clearly as idiot if you say I'm wrong...simply because this is working on my car and 2 others I have done.

all your diagram does is add redundant relays, and is a bit different that what you said earlier, about simply connecting gn/wh to the NSS...

and futher investigation shows that pin 44 of the ECU isnt the clutch wire, so im modifying my previous posts for accuracy.

pin 44 gn/wh has NOTHING to do with the starting system.
More proving that you don't know WTF your talking about. Pin 44 is a tranny wire that goes to the ECU. It sends out a -1 if the tranny is in gear or a 0 if its in N.

If the alarm recieves a - signal from pin 44, it wont start.

You have just been . Thank you, come again.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:36 PM

A lot of the above posts are not only redundant but some incorrect.

No relays are needed to wire up a remote start so it won't start in gear. They won't hurt, but its just more money spent. First off, at the switch at the top of the clutch pedal, there are 2 wires, a black, and a non-black(I forget the color offhand). To make the car think the clutch is depressed, all you have to do is send the (-) status output signal (blue wire on DEI brains) from the brain to the non-black wire at the switch at the top of the clutch travel. You DO NOT want to just simply connect these wires to make the car think the clutch is depressed all the time, because even if you wire the neutral safety wire correctly so it wont remote start in gear, dumb@sses like valets can still get in and turn the key and start it without pushing the clutch.

To BewstAddict: Yes, at the ECU the green/white wire IS indeed the neutral safety wire. This wire reads ground when the car is in neutral, which means that all you need to do to ensure not starting in gear, is wire the neutral safety switch wire on the brain (black/white on DEI brains) directly to this green/white wire. You can also access/tap into this in the engine bay by removing the airbox.

Those are the ONLY 2 things you do differently when installing on a 5 speed as compared to an auto.

Im not trying to sound arrogant at all, but Kruppa, if you want more advice that is actually right, please pm me.

EDIT: Igor beat me to it, he did get owned.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by kpr10is
A lot of the above posts are not only redundant but some incorrect.

No relays are needed to wire up a remote start so it won't start in gear. They won't hurt, but its just more money spent. First off, at the switch at the top of the clutch pedal, there are 2 wires, a black, and a non-black(I forget the color offhand). To make the car think the clutch is depressed, all you have to do is send the (-) status output signal (blue wire on DEI brains) from the brain to the non-black wire at the switch at the top of the clutch travel. You DO NOT want to just simply connect these wires to make the car think the clutch is depressed all the time, because even if you wire the neutral safety wire correctly so it wont remote start in gear, dumb@sses like valets can still get in and turn the key and start it without pushing the clutch.

To BewstAddict: Yes, at the ECU the green/white wire IS indeed the neutral safety wire. This wire reads ground when the car is in neutral, which means that all you need to do to ensure not starting in gear, is wire the neutral safety switch wire on the brain (black/white on DEI brains) directly to this green/white wire. You can also access/tap into this in the engine bay by removing the airbox.

Those are the ONLY 2 things you do differently when installing on a 5 speed as compared to an auto.

Im not trying to sound arrogant at all, but Kruppa, if you want more advice that is actually right, please pm me.

EDIT: Igor beat me to it, he did get owned.
you're absolutly correct. You can also tap the wire at the main tranny harness under the airbox. This is where mine is tapped.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:41 PM

you're absolutly correct. You can also tap the wire at the main tranny harness under the airbox. This is where mine is tapped.
Its tough keeping up with all the misinformation. I hardly ever come over into 5th gen from audio, and the one time I do I have to write a novel to keep up with everything in just this 1 thread.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:43 PM

Its tough keeping up with all the misinformation. I hardly ever come over into 5th gen from audio, and the one time I do I have to write a novel to keep up with everything in just this 1 thread.
people need to stop talking **** when they know nothing about it
Old 09-13-2005, 08:46 PM

In a perfect world.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:47 PM
Wat

BewstAdddict: You are incorrect. Any further misinformation will result in a ban.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:50 PM

WRONG.

When you start the car, you push the clutch down. THERE IS A BUTTON the clutch presses that lets the car know the clutch has been depressed for it to start.
yes, i know theres a button. you didnt say the clutch pedal positions switch, you said the CLUTCH.

You're clearly as idiot if you say I'm wrong...simply because this is working on my car and 2 others I have done.
of course it works, theres just a redundant relay in there.

More proving that you don't know WTF your talking about. Pin 44 is a tranny wire that goes to the ECU. It sends out a -1 if the tranny is in gear or a 0 if its in N.

You have just been . Thank you, come again.
not quite... if pin 44 gets a GND it wont start?!

so if i go out to the garage right now, put the trans in first, and depress the clutch, it wont start?

be right back. when i come back, ill tell you if i got owned or not.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:54 PM

yes, i know theres a button. you didnt say the clutch pedal positions switch, you said the CLUTCH.

of course it works, theres just a redundant relay in there.

not quite... if pin 44 gets a GND it wont start?!

so if i go out to the garage right now, put the trans in first, and depress the clutch, it wont start?

be right back. when i come back, ill tell you if i got owned or not.
This is the last post Im making to you personally. Obviosly you dont get the point and can't read.
Originally Posted by igor911
Pin 44 is a tranny wire that goes to the ECU. It sends out a -1 if the tranny is in gear or a 0 if its in N.

I didnt say anything about grounding pin 44. You dont touch pin 44, you only TAP it. Use common sense.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:55 PM

well, i would like to say

THANK YOU IGOR!!!

first off, the car started, so your pin 44 theory is wrong. but i would like to say thank you, because earlier i was taking a look at my headlights and then came back inside.

i left the garage open, and the passenger window DOWN. OMFG, its 11:55pm HERE, and quite a few things could have ended up missing.

de-owned x2

thanks again.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:57 PM

I didnt say anything about grounding pin 44. You dont touch pin 44, you only TAP it. Use common sense.
im reading it, and weresaying the same thing in two different ways.

when i say ground it, im not talking about permantently

so yeah, i guess 'tap it' might work

im too happy with you to be mad at you right now.

even though you were wrong
Old 09-13-2005, 08:59 PM

And it continues.....

BewstAddict, you obviously knew he meant the clutch switch and not the clutch itself. Use common sense.

Igor, you have it backwards but your point is still correct. The alarm needs to read a (-) signal from pin 44 to be able to remote start. At least all DEI alarms and all alarms Ive ever done.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:02 PM

And it continues.....
indeed...

BewstAddict, you obviously knew he meant the clutch switch and not the clutch itself. Use common sense.
i did, and i was using common sense... but his statement was still incorrect.

Igor, you have it backwards but your point is still correct. The alarm needs to read a (-) signal from pin 44 to be able to start. At least all DEI alarms and all alarms Ive ever done.
good... clarification. 'alarm' is so ambiguous. the RS uses pin 44 PNP, and wont remote start without it.

okay, no big deal

on an aftermarket unit not so equipped, id pull it off with a SPDT relay, and ill show you how. just need a few minutes for a cheesy drawing in MS paint.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:05 PM

Bewst...off the wall question. Would you mind reading me the last 6 digits of your VIN, because I know someone who used to have an 02 Majestic 6 spd and Im wondering if you bought his old car (pm me?)
Old 09-13-2005, 09:15 PM

Not if he lived in the tampa area

i had to go out of state.

anyone wanna host my cheesy wiring diagram?
Old 09-13-2005, 09:18 PM

I was thinking central FL. But nevermind if you went out of state.

As for a remote start not-so-equipped......why would anyone want to buy anything besides a DEI RS.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:25 PM

money i guess , but everyone who has asked in this thread wants to know how to make it work to their car doesnt go rolling away. if they bought a DEI and read the instructions, then it would be done. for those who buy ebay RS systems for autos only, this is how to make it work...
Old 09-13-2005, 10:38 PM

i just have my personal valet start my car for me...
Old 09-13-2005, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by slickrick
i just have my personal valet start my car for me...