5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Automatic Window Problem

Old 08-30-2005, 04:22 AM

Automatic Window Problem

Hey guys, I've been having some issues with my passenger side automatic window control. When I hit auto and let it go up it reaches the top, then goes back down 1/4 of the way. It doesnt fall, but rather the motor(?) brings it down. If I hold the button up while closing it, it stays up.

Has anyone had this problem before? Do I need a new reglulator/motor?
Old 08-30-2005, 04:26 AM

Dude, I have the same problem. I have no clue what it is, I think it's something that has to be re-learned through the BCM maybe??? I don't know I plan on sending to nissan.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:27 AM

Your Window Regulator needs to be reset, here is the procedure posted by another member:
Driver window one touch up RESET procedure - TIP!!

With the help of the technical service manual on CD produced by Nissan on the 2002 and 2003 Maxima I now have located the quick fix for a problem I have had since purchasing my used 2002 SE a few months ago. That is the drivers door window one-touch up function for the window was not working properly. The window would go up to the top and then retreat about 5 inches back down again. This problem is due to the limit switch needing to be reset which at first I thought would be a considerable job (to take off the door panel etc.) but ended up being literally a 2 minute job as the door panel can remain in place. My dealer wanted $85 CDN for the switch reset which I knew was a rip off before I found the fix procedure myself. I know several '02 and '03 Maxima owners have had this same problem as I saw earlier threads referencing it but no-one then appeared to know the fix. Alhough this procedure is simple once you do it, my description seems long as I wanted to be a descriptive as possible since I can't provide pictures. So here it is:

Step 1: Pry the plastic cap up off the bottom centre of the door pull handle and remove the single philips screw.

Step 2: Remove the whole switch panel (in which the door pull handle sits) by prying it up from the back end either with a flat edged screwdriver or table knife (under cloth) or by hand which is what I did. It is just clipped in so should come out relatively easily sliding it up at the back and then pulling it back.

You can now see the inside of the door from where the switch finishing plate sat. You can leave the wiring all attached and simply hang the switch and handle plastic assembly to one side so you can see the inside of the door.

Look inside towards the front bottom of the door behind the plastic vapour barrier you will see a small black switch. It almost looks like a black pan screw head. This is the reset switch but there is a sequence to now doing the actual reset procedure. The switch doesn't really feel like one when you press it through the plastic liner which incidentally you don't need to cut (at least I didn't have to). It is a switch that is only on when you are pressing it otherwise when released it is off.

STEP 3: Make sure the window is closed (up) completely. Turn the ignition on so the windows are receiving power.

a) Press the reset switch (and keep it pressed in) and open (down) the window completely (manually -NOT with AUTO ONE TOUCH DOWN FUNCTION).
b) Release the reset switch. Then close the window completely (manually only - NOT AUTO UP).
c) The limit switch is now reset. Easy!!!

This procedure worked for me straight away as I hope it will for you should you have this annoying problem. The Nissan manual does caution you not to use the one touch UP-DOWN function during this procedure so be warned.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:37 AM
Banned

Thanks for the info. I spent about $300 last fall because of the same issue. Stupid stealership replaced a bunch of sensors.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by mrmj1218
Your Window Regulator needs to be reset, here is the procedure posted by another member:

With the help of the technical service manual on CD produced by Nissan on the 2002 and 2003 Maxima I now have located the quick fix for a problem I have had since purchasing my used 2002 SE a few months ago. That is the drivers door window one-touch up function for the window was not working properly. The window would go up to the top and then retreat about 5 inches back down again. This problem is due to the limit switch needing to be reset which at first I thought would be a considerable job (to take off the door panel etc.) but ended up being literally a 2 minute job as the door panel can remain in place. My dealer wanted $85 CDN for the switch reset which I knew was a rip off before I found the fix procedure myself. I know several '02 and '03 Maxima owners have had this same problem as I saw earlier threads referencing it but no-one then appeared to know the fix. Alhough this procedure is simple once you do it, my description seems long as I wanted to be a descriptive as possible since I can't provide pictures. So here it is:

Step 1: Pry the plastic cap up off the bottom centre of the door pull handle and remove the single philips screw.

Step 2: Remove the whole switch panel (in which the door pull handle sits) by prying it up from the back end either with a flat edged screwdriver or table knife (under cloth) or by hand which is what I did. It is just clipped in so should come out relatively easily sliding it up at the back and then pulling it back.

You can now see the inside of the door from where the switch finishing plate sat. You can leave the wiring all attached and simply hang the switch and handle plastic assembly to one side so you can see the inside of the door.

Look inside towards the front bottom of the door behind the plastic vapour barrier you will see a small black switch. It almost looks like a black pan screw head. This is the reset switch but there is a sequence to now doing the actual reset procedure. The switch doesn't really feel like one when you press it through the plastic liner which incidentally you don't need to cut (at least I didn't have to). It is a switch that is only on when you are pressing it otherwise when released it is off.

STEP 3: Make sure the window is closed (up) completely. Turn the ignition on so the windows are receiving power.

a) Press the reset switch (and keep it pressed in) and open (down) the window completely (manually -NOT with AUTO ONE TOUCH DOWN FUNCTION).
b) Release the reset switch. Then close the window completely (manually only - NOT AUTO UP).

This procedure worked for me straight away as I hope it will for you should you have this annoying problem. The Nissan manual does caution you not to use the one touch UP-DOWN function during this procedure so be warned.
Wow thanks so much! When I get out of work I am definetly going to do this. I'll post my results when I do it!!!

Thanks!!
Old 08-30-2005, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by MaxDom03
Wow thanks so much! When I get out of work I am definetly going to do this. I'll post my results when I do it!!!

Thanks!!
No Problem guys!!!!
Old 08-30-2005, 05:27 AM
RBK

My 2000 passenger side window will roll up but not down using the passenger control. Using the driver control, it will roll up and down.
Do I need to apply the same fix or do something else?
Old 08-30-2005, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by RBK
My 2000 passenger side window will roll up but not down using the passenger control. Using the driver control, it will roll up and down.
Sounds liek your contacts need to be cleaned in your switch. I had a simular issue in my celica when I had it. I say this because it works fine from the other window switch.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:09 AM
Disappointing ppl since 1980

Thanks for the tip mrmj, I was having that same issue myself. I took a break here at work, and went outside and did it, and now the window works great!

Thanks again.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=mrmj1218]Your Window Regulator needs to be reset, here is the procedure posted by another member:

Look inside towards the front bottom of the door behind the plastic vapour barrier you will see a small black switch. It almost looks like a black pan screw head.

I'm having a difficult time finding that small black switch. Is it made out of rubber?
Old 08-30-2005, 11:22 AM

[QUOTE=03SheerMax]

Look inside towards the front bottom of the door behind the plastic vapour barrier you will see a small black switch. It almost looks like a black pan screw head.

I'm having a difficult time finding that small black switch. Is it made out of rubber?
Nevermind, I found it. Thanks for the great write-up.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the information. I have the same problem on my 03, and I knew it had to be some kind of sensor problem. I'll be fixing this once the wife gets home.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:34 PM

Just did this and it worked flawlessly, thanks again for the write up!!!!
Old 08-30-2005, 05:57 PM

I had the same problem a few months ago, and this procedure really works.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

dont mean to sound like an idiot ! but putting the window down manually you mean hold the button down right? or pull the window down by hand? I just dont want to mess this up
Old 10-02-2006, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by RBK
Just got a similar problem here except with the passenger control the passenger side window will roll down only but won't go up. Did you ever find a solution for it? Any Max guru who has idea please help!
Old 10-02-2006, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by 00Max00
Just got a similar problem here except with the passenger control the passenger side window will roll down only but won't go up. Did you ever find a solution for it? Any Max guru who has idea please help!
did u try to resetting it? it wont hurt to try ... if that doesnt work than thats when a max guru will be needed
Old 10-03-2006, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by misiek
did u try to resetting it? it wont hurt to try ... if that doesnt work than thats when a max guru will be needed
2000 Maximas doesn't have a auto-up or down passenger side window, therefore no such reset button. It may be a switch malfunction.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:39 PM

Im having this problem on my auto driver's window... does the 2001 have the same switch/process for fixing it?
Old 10-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Curb Rash Repair 100 a wheel

Originally Posted by Darius
Im having this problem on my auto driver's window... does the 2001 have the same switch/process for fixing it?
driver's side has the same thing, i dont think so for the passenger side...
Old 12-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 00Max00
2000 Maximas doesn't have a auto-up or down passenger side window, therefore no such reset button. It may be a switch malfunction.

Actually, I have a 2000 with an auto-up driver's side. Call me stupid, but I can't find the black switch for the life of me. Anyone with advice for a 2000...or finding this mysterious button?

Old 12-15-2006, 11:45 AM

Driver window one touch up RESET procedure - TIP!! ....
Damn, paid the shop to fix this problem the last time the car was in - wish I had looked here first!
Old 12-19-2006, 08:54 AM

Still can't find the button...I've searched and searched and haven't found anything specific.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:18 AM

great post! is there any way you can put this in the how to
Old 01-01-2007, 10:02 PM

any advice on finding the button?
Old 01-02-2007, 04:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks so much for this post. I had the same problem.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

auto window fails when auto up function is used.

He dudes, I have encountered the same problem on my 2k2. My driver side window did the same thing. when you auto up, it would come down 3/4 of the way. This is normal if something blocks the window. I took it in to the dealer and they reset the window.

A few months later, the same thing happened. Again, I took it to the dealer to reset. I was not charged for the first two visits. Afew months later the issued occurrred again!

When I took it to the dealer this time I was charged $56 bucks. I complained that they never really resolved the issue and asked why I was being charged. I requested that they replace the motor and or control mechanism. The service rep said that they would try a different approach this time. They reset the window limit and I have not had the problem since.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Time2go!

I have had this happen a (2) times in my 2K3 and this has fixed it each time.
The limit switch reset. Easy!!!

Step 1: Pry the plastic cap up off the bottom centre of the door pull handle and remove the single Philips screw.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:55 PM
NOOB

the "damn" button is right below the letter "F" of on the plastic cover. It's hard to find because it's behind the plastic cover.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by ghettogeek
any advice on finding the button?
I had the idea of trying to mod in a driver side button for my passanger side window to make it auto up maybe this will work for you. i have the button just have not had the time to try it yet.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:13 AM

I'm unable to find the switch. I can't make it out behind the plastic and am hesitant to start cutting the plastic before I have at least an idea of where it is. Attached are two pictures of what I'm looking at. Any ideas where specifically I should be looking. Thanks

Old 05-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Curb Rash Repair 100 a wheel

Originally Posted by shobuddy
I'm unable to find the switch. I can't make it out behind the plastic and am hesitant to start cutting the plastic before I have at least an idea of where it is. Attached are two pictures of what I'm looking at. Any ideas where specifically I should be looking. Thanks

you'll see it better if you take your door panel off. its really easy to do so. once you have that off you'll see it no problem
Old 05-22-2007, 05:27 PM

It looks like a small black nipple. Doesn't look like a switch exactly, but that's what you need to find.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:31 PM

Out of curiosity, does someone know what causes the window to start behaving like this?
Old 05-29-2007, 04:59 PM

had to replace mine, not reset
Old 06-02-2007, 08:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

wow once again you guys save my ***. The dealership wanted to replace the electrical unit for 300$ hah thank you!!
ps for anyone who is having trouble finding the switch through the plastic like i did, it looks like a screw but when you push it, i could feel it move in
Old 06-21-2007, 09:10 AM

I am still unable to find the button. I am having the problem on my passenger side door so do I look for the button on the passenger side or the drivers side?

Also, one poster said it is behind the letter F but I can't even find that.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:51 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

did you take your door panel off? or are you trying to find it through the handle?
Old 06-21-2007, 09:55 AM

Thru the handle.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by shobuddy
Thru the handle.
I just did this and it took me about 5 minutes to do. The button doesn't really look like a button or even feel like one. If you're standing at the back of the door, take your hand and put it down in the front of the opening. The little black "tab" is finger length away behind the plastic. When you push it, it doesn't feel like it's in, but it is.

Follow the other steps and it works. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Automatic Window Problem