5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

awful acceleration,bogging and won't rev up.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 05:41 AM

I have the same symptoms. I have had an O2 go but they figured it was a vacuum leak so they replaced the plenum gasket....the car still would practically stall out at 3400 RPM and when I first started it up and tried to drive away. Next it was the spark plugs (80K miles) and a TPS. Car still ran crappy and threw a SES light. Now it's the MAF they say. Today it actually stalled on me as it idles. I watched the RPM go from 2K at start up to 1.5-1-.5 to stall. When I drove it today it was brutal...the car was bogged down at all speeds on my commute. If the MAF doesn't fix it, I'm riding my bicycle.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:49 AM

Mine wasnt the MAF so you may be riding your bike.

i need to know how to reset my computer so that my air fuel ratio will correct itself. is earched google and couldnt find the direct answer. so maybe someone here knows.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:46 AM
Banned

when the MAF fails, the computer limits the revs. When the O2 sesors, the cat or you unplug the hose from the valve cover to the intake, the car will still rev fully, but won't have any power.

I'd search if I could...
Old 09-01-2005, 07:52 AM

I unplugged my battery, im gonna try and reset my ECU and see what happens as far as the air/fuel ratio. Also i tried the new AMF and it didnt help yesterday so it must either be a combo of things or somethign else. But the new AMF didnt help. So maybe its something electronic. Its just wierd that it took like a day to become ****ty. If i press the gas very very lightly and accelerate it like that it seems to rev ok, not great just ok. But if i mash the gas, go WOT or any more then light light acceleration. It bogs and eventually will make the "shhhhhhh" noise. I hope the resetting works. If not i dunno what else to try. My PO420 code has come on twice in a few months so far so eventually im going to go to the dealer and get it reprogrammed and then whatever else needs to be done. I ordered a new cat itll be here soon. Thanks for all the help and if you guys wanna keep helping me out PLEASE do.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the ECM only limits revs when theres a p0102 or p1102, which is a maf dead in the water, not an erroneously reading one. you can have a skewed mass reading and get full rev range, and a lean code(s), MAF being the culprit...

Originally Posted by NismoMaxm
take it easy man im not a car god. and IM BROKE.

that wasnt directed towards you. i was simply commenting on the way just about everyone seems to jump to conclusions (i.e. a failed MAF sensor)
Old 09-05-2005, 04:56 PM

its cool man i didnt mean it to be like yelling or anything.

a little update on the car. I re routed and finally got all my vacuum lines plugged up rigth except for the one coming off the top of the tranny up through the engine bay next to my valve cover. It has an elbow shape. I was read Gbauers post on his bad cat and alot of his symtoms seemed right in line with mine and so did the "another MAF question" thread. But its wierd i replaced my MAF and nothing happened, so mayube i should retry it now that ive got my vacuum lines hooked up, but still that one from the tranny confuses me. But when i plugged my vacuum lines all correct back up i eliminated some low end bog just a touch and the "shhhh" hissing noise ive been talking about.HELP?
Old 11-17-2007, 05:05 PM

im experienceing the same thing except i have almost NO power and the engine just runs out of steam at around 4k. then makes a pretty wierd choking noise that sounds more metallic than anything else. this sound is right around 4000 rpm and i dont really try to push it any further but im pretty sure the engine just wont rev past 4k. the car has a really hard time accelerating anytime in any gear. i recentlyreplaced the MAF with an 01 and it ran until today (about 2 weeks later). also today was rainy and humid about 70+ degrees. i have no clue what this problem could be, no CEL and sometimes while driving down the road it wont rev past 2400 rpm. just dies. and when i pull over to restart it it "bounces" at 2400 rpm which as i understand is this engines "safety" when it gets an invalid signal from the MAF. im also getting a shhhh noise that i dont think was there before, its "loudness" is proportionate to how far my foot is on the gas. can any one help me please, this is driving me nuts. i dont mean to stel the thread i was just hoping to maybe catch someone who has knowledge about this...
Old 11-18-2007, 07:42 AM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Originally Posted by 02SE6MT
i dont mean to stel the thread i was just hoping to maybe catch someone who has knowledge about this...
Nah, don't sweat it. Even regurgitation helps diagnose your problem and that should be the number one goal for all Org'ers (even if we have to copy and paste links for your, mine, and others' benefit).

The "sshhhhhh" noise could be a vacuum leak (and a huge one at that). Park your car, let it idle, and then fully depress and release the brake pedal rapidly (this empties out the brake booster putting a load on the MAP to pull all the air out). If your engine starts to bog down after a few cycles of this, you've probably got a seriously vacuum leak. You can get a vacuum tester (common units [about $20] also allow you to do compression testing). You may want to consider seeing how much of a vacuum your car pulls at idle and at higher RPM.

Further, How old (years/mileage) are your ignition coils? If they are worn out, you won't get good fire (hence your engine feeling as if it is running out of steam). Humid air is harding to ignite than dry air.

Did the '01 MAF replacement make things better or worse?
Old 11-18-2007, 05:58 PM

you know i took a coil off today just to look and it wouldnt be a bad idea to change the plugs. the coils looked ok i remember hearing something about a grey dot ??? none of them had it but the spark plugs had looked like theyve been in there for a while, also if theres dirt around the spark plug when its seated in the head, how should i take em' out without dirt falling in? should i grab an air hose and blow it out? unfortunately i dont have a garage readily available.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:27 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Have y'all checked your fuel filters to make sure the engine isn't starving for fuel at higher rpms? A clogged filter wouldn't cause the idle problems but it could be one part of two or three issues combined.

02SE6MT-yes, you can used compressed air to blow debris out of the spark plug tubes. In fact, it is highly recommended you do.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:53 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Originally Posted by Scottwax
02SE6MT-yes, you can used compressed air to blow debris out of the spark plug tubes. In fact, it is highly recommended you do.
Please leave your spark plugs in the head before doing so....
Old 11-18-2007, 10:02 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by aksansai
Please leave your spark plugs in the head before doing so....
I had hoped it wasn't necessary to specify that...
Old 11-19-2007, 05:58 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Originally Posted by Scottwax
I had hoped it wasn't necessary to specify that...
I'm from the South. We have to have things explicitly stated 99% of the time.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:51 PM

i have the same problem i put my berk intake on and for a few days m car was running good and then a about a week later it seems like the cant breathe in any air and it seems like it has to a hard time getting up to speed, i hate it and i dont where to start,
Old 11-19-2007, 11:14 PM

haha, that would pretty much make a bad situation worse, but thanks for the reply ill get to that. i updated on the noobie thread with some pretty weird MIL codes, but hopefully everything will get cleared up and ill have my max back
Old 11-20-2007, 03:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey i heard u can clean ur MAF. Is this true? and if it is how?
Old 11-20-2007, 08:24 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by MaxBoy42
Hey i heard u can clean ur MAF. Is this true? and if it is how?
Purchase CRC MAF sensor cleaner, remove sensor, spray sensor, let sensor dry, reinstall sensor, done.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:39 PM

we might have a similar problem. i uploaded a video of what mine was doing. is it similar?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=545491

if not, good luck diagnosing/fixing, i know how ya feel