5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Getting a 5th Gen - What do I need to look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 07:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Getting a 5th Gen - What do I need to look out for?

Ok, so my 4th gen is on it's way out and it's given me a great 5+ years with minimal problems. Because I'm so happy with maxima, I was thinking about getting one again. I'm looking at a 02-03 SE loaded.

- Do these maxima's have any type of traction control? How are they in the snow?
- Any major issues I should look out for before buying?
- Is HID headlight theft as major a problem as I read about? Anyway to prevent this?
- I know this is a maxima forum, but how does the 01-03 Acura TL-S compare? I read about numerous transmission problems.

Thanks, and hopefully I'll be a 5th gen owner by Saturday.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:52 PM
Pointy Elbows

Traction control is available on the automatics only. Most of the SE's I've seen don't have it.

The OEM Bridgestone Potenzas suck in rain and are even worse in the snow. If you find a Max with the OEM tires, you might want to get those replaced ASAP.

Be sure to take a close look at the paint for chips, especially on the front bumper cover and hood. 5th gens are notorious for having horrible quality paint.
HID theft has been a problem, mostly in NY and NJ. Make sure you park in a garage at night. I haven't heard of any problems here in OH, but not sure about PA.

Also, watch for the MAF problems in the '02s. (get an '03 if possible)

The TL-S is a nice car, but you can avoid the tranny problems by getting a 6 spd.

That's about all from me. Good luck man.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:23 PM

There's also the VIAS issue, although I think that may only affect the 00-01s.

At least you're in the right place to buy one. Seems like most of them are on the east coast.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:28 PM

problems i had on my '03:

MAFs, warped rotors, ABS actuators, Throttle body, and yes replace the craptenza for your own safty.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:57 AM
ahhh! cliMAX!

how about coils?

what is the issue with them?
how much are they to replace?
Old 08-16-2005, 09:04 AM
Very sound, Mike

I have one of the earliest 02's on the forums. (Bought in August 01). Currently have 66k on it.

The only problems i've really had was the CD player - it gave an ERR reading and wouldn't spit my disc back out. Since then i've replaced it with aftermarket.

MAF has been pretty strong (though the dealership replaced it "just in case"), never had rotor warp issues and the engine is just as strong as i first got it.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:25 AM

I've had both. An 02 auto and only problem was dim lit cel. and dealer replaced instrument cluster under warranty.Now i have an 6 speed 03. no problems at all so far........Also i have never had a warping rotor problem on either car...
Old 08-16-2005, 09:33 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Originally Posted by godlyone
how about coils?

5th gen has a problem with them. They go bad over time and need to be replaced by stronger updated ones. As parts they are in $150 range for used and around $300 for new...
Old 08-16-2005, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by breaux124
Ok, so my 4th gen is on it's way out and it's given me a great 5+ years with minimal problems. Because I'm so happy with maxima, I was thinking about getting one again. I'm looking at a 02-03 SE loaded.

- Do these maxima's have any type of traction control? How are they in the snow?
- Any major issues I should look out for before buying?
- Is HID headlight theft as major a problem as I read about? Anyway to prevent this?
- I know this is a maxima forum, but how does the 01-03 Acura TL-S compare? I read about numerous transmission problems.

Thanks, and hopefully I'll be a 5th gen owner by Saturday.
I'll take a shot at your HID theft question. You are in the Northeast, so yes, HID theft is a problem you need to worry about. Nissan is attempting to remedy this problem with their Data Dots recall. It is free of charge to all 02-03 Maxima owners in the Northeast region so your pre-owned Max will more than likely have this done already. If not, you can get this done at any Nissan dealership. This will not solve the problem, but should (hopefully) slow down thieves.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:48 AM

Maxima + Snow =
Old 08-16-2005, 10:04 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Originally Posted by FriscoMaxima
Maxima + Snow =
False. I live in Canada and see quite a lot of snow every winter. I put on steelies and winter tires and can destroy any car on the road... Rides very nicely in severe winter conditions...
Old 08-16-2005, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by TXT-1
I'll take a shot at your HID theft question. You are in the Northeast, so yes, HID theft is a problem you need to worry about. Nissan is attempting to remedy this problem with their Data Dots recall. It is free of charge to all 02-03 Maxima owners in the Northeast region so your pre-owned Max will more than likely have this done already. If not, you can get this done at any Nissan dealership. This will not solve the problem, but should (hopefully) slow down thieves.
If they want the lights they will get them. I was talking to a body shop guy near my dads house and he was telling me with the factory alarm system they just go in between the grille and cut the horn wires and then they have all of the time in the world to get the lights out.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:29 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by cutter
If they want the lights they will get them. I was talking to a body shop guy near my dads house and he was telling me with the factory alarm system they just go in between the grille and cut the horn wires and then they have all of the time in the world to get the lights out.
The new bracket Nissan puts on is a PITA to take off and takes a little bit more time than if it were without it. Granted, it can still be taken off eventually - but at least it buys the owner some time.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by cutter
Yea, no crap. Read my original post. Most thieves are looking for the easiest/fastest targets. If anything can be done to at least make it a little harder for them, then I'm all for it. Heck, if a thief wants anything bad enough, they'll get it. And nice job giving out uneccesary info, you never know who's lurking in the org.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by godlyone
how about coils?

Many $$$$$$ !
Old 08-16-2005, 07:23 PM
大陆弟弟

I also looked into the TL-S before getting my I35. The TL-S is a great car, with nice features, great lines, and a smooth engine. BUT, it has little torque compared to the Max, and have tranny problems. You can't go wrong with either car IMO.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by TXT-1
Yea, no crap. Read my original post. Most thieves are looking for the easiest/fastest targets. If anything can be done to at least make it a little harder for them, then I'm all for it. Heck, if a thief wants anything bad enough, they'll get it. And nice job giving out uneccesary info, you never know who's lurking in the org.
Jeez calm down a little. Sorry if I didn't read your entire post. And if the thieves were any bit smart, they probably already know this. but if you want I can edit the post.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:02 PM

Ok, got me a Maxima tonight.
I drove a nice fully loaded 03 SE and it was nice, but the interior needed to be cleaned and some little things needed to be fixed. But looking around on the lot I found a Dark Blue fully loaded 02 SE with a 6sp. After driving that thing, there is no way I could go back to the auto.

So I crossed some T's and dotted some I's, and Monday I'll pick it back up. (They are replacing all the tires, detailing, programming FOBs, cutting or replacing the rotors, inspecting it)

I don't think I got an amazing deal, but I'm happy with what I got.
- 02 SE I think every single option (no nav, if that was available)
- 6spd
- Great condition
- Dark Blue with gray/granite leather
- $17,400

So what do I need to do now? The modding will begin with the next month or two. Are any parts from a 4th gen swapable onto a 02?
Old 08-19-2005, 06:08 PM

I drove a nice fully loaded 03 SE and it was nice, but the interior needed to be cleaned and some little things needed to be fixed. But looking around on the lot I found a Dark Blue fully loaded 02 SE with a 6sp. After driving that thing, there is no way I could go back to the auto.

So I crossed some T's and dotted some I's, and Monday I'll pick it back up. (They are replacing all the tires, detailing, programming FOBs, cutting or replacing the rotors, inspecting it)

- 6spd
- Great condition
- $17,400

So what do I need to do now? The modding will begin with the next month or two. Are any parts from a 4th gen swapable onto a 02?
that's a pretty nice find! maybe a little overpriced, but from first hand experiance, i can tell you that the 6-speed is worth it (even though mine is being re-built right now...)
Old 08-19-2005, 06:10 PM

Omg i test drove a 2002 today and i was upset, it feel like it was soo messed up like holdin back. they also couldnt start the car when i first got there because some1 tried to jump it and mixed the possitive and negative terminals
Old 08-20-2005, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by maxilvr06
that's a pretty nice find! maybe a little overpriced, but from first hand experiance, i can tell you that the 6-speed is worth it (even though mine is being re-built right now...)
I felt the price was decent for a dealer, I could have gotten it cheaper from a person, but I didn't see what I wanted available. It seemed that this place had all the 02-03 6speeds in the area, so there wasn't many others to go after.

But this thing is in PERFECT condition. There is one little mark on the bumper, but the interior, exterior, and everything looks and works flawlessly. Plus they're giving me new tires, so that's a few hundred more I'm saving. When I pick it up I'll make sure they fill up the tank for me

This 02 didn't have the Data Dots on the lights that the 03 had, can I just take this to any Nissan Dealer and get they fixed?
Old 08-20-2005, 11:41 AM

I felt the price was decent for a dealer, I could have gotten it cheaper from a person, but I didn't see what I wanted available. It seemed that this place had all the 02-03 6speeds in the area, so there wasn't many others to go after.

But this thing is in PERFECT condition. There is one little mark on the bumper, but the interior, exterior, and everything looks and works flawlessly. Plus they're giving me new tires, so that's a few hundred more I'm saving. When I pick it up I'll make sure they fill up the tank for me

This 02 didn't have the Data Dots on the lights that the 03 had, can I just take this to any Nissan Dealer and get they fixed?
back in sept. of '04 i got my 2002 6-speed with 29.8k for $16,700....mine had leather (aftermarket)/sunroof/bose but it didn't come with the auto A/C like yours has or the power passenger seat, etc...mine was in perfect condition as well...there were, and are still absolutely no door dings or scratches, the wheels were in perfect condition, and the interior looked and smelled brand new (and it still does ) But seriously, 18k for this car is not bad...it is very refined and the VQ matched with the 6-speed is awesome!
As for the data dots, since you're in the NE, you can probably go to any dealer and have them put them on at no charge (ask them to put it on before you take the car home if you can) But one thing to be mindful about is that if a burglar wants the lights enough, they will get them...and if your headlights are more secure to the car, it may mean more damage when or if they attempt to steal them....
Old 08-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Helicopters! Money!!!

are you selling your 97 max? Is it a 5spd?
Old 08-20-2005, 03:39 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

The #1 thing to look out for is the modification bug. It's nearly incurable.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:20 PM

i hated the insane rear window wind noice. That was my first mod.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:36 PM
Mass_Media™

- 6spd
- Great condition
- $17,400

Good find...maybe a little over priced but other than that, you have a great color and its a 6spd...good luck....I don't know any parts from the 4th gen that are interchangeable with a 5.5 gen....
Old 08-21-2005, 03:01 PM

Nice find. Price is pretty much what most people are paying. I got lucky myself finding an 03 polished titanim color TE 6speed loaded with everything except navi. with around the same miles as yours....There are some 6sp out there but alot are very high miles and not very well taken care of or either been modded by previous owner.....And to me thats a big no no
Old 08-21-2005, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
Nice find. Price is pretty much what most people are paying. I got lucky myself finding an 03 polished titanim color TE 6speed loaded with everything except navi. with around the same miles as yours....There are some 6sp out there but alot are very high miles and not very well taken care of or either been modded by previous owner.....And to me thats a big no no
There was another black on black 02 SE 6spd, but it had tinted windows, aluminum petals, and some other little things which made me think about who had owned the car and how they treated it. Instead I took the blue one which was immaculate and looked like it was owned by someone who takes care of their car.

I'll be picking it up tomorrow...
Old 08-21-2005, 07:50 PM
The Boy Wonder

I got my 2002 GLE Black/Black with everything except Navi with 23,900 miles for $18,000+$1,500 (Nissan Preowned warranty)= $19,500

Great Condition(few paint chips and a slightly scratched wheel)
Came detailed(of course not to my standards will do a full one tommorow)

Got it thursday drove it to Pittsburgh over the weekend(visiting family and to test the car)

I received a "service engine soon" light getting that checked out tommorow

Otherwise it's the best car I ever bought and very well worth the money, Ill be replacing the parking lights (for LED's and clear lenses) and some other minor upgrades, then geta wheel/tire package so I dont have to deal with the potenzas.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:05 AM
Drug Money

Totally sweet, breaux124, congratulations on a nice car, but I'm thinking about getting a 2000-2001 5th gen. I'm a school kid with a $8500 budget. Check this car out and tell me what you guys think! http://www.craigslist.com/nby/car/92344286.html. I negotiated with the guy and he told me that he will give it to me as is for $7700 w/o smog certificate, air filter change, and oil change. HOWEVER if i gave him $8000 even, he will do smog, filter, and oil for me.

Also, what should I look out for in a 2000-2001 Maxima?
Old 08-22-2005, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by iwanaMAx
Omg i test drove a 2002 today and i was upset, it feel like it was soo messed up like holdin back. they also couldnt start the car when i first got there because some1 tried to jump it and mixed the possitive and negative terminals
What's popping iwanaMAX. I noticed you're from Elmont and I know they're aren't many of us out there so I just wanted to say what's good

Elmont Memorial High School Class of 2000

Sorry for the post whoring but I couldn't resist
Old 08-22-2005, 01:01 PM

I am looking at a 5th gen as well. White 2002 with 104k miles, 6mt, with bose and leather. What kind of price should i get from a dealer? (dealer wants 11,900.) Also i have found a new engine for about a grand, how much would the swap itsef cost me (labor, extra parts)
Old 08-22-2005, 01:19 PM

The engine bay looked a bit rusty, what could this be from?
Old 08-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

Originally Posted by Glasuan
I am looking at a 5th gen as well. White 2002 with 104k miles, 6mt, with bose and leather. What kind of price should i get from a dealer? (dealer wants 11,900.) Also i have found a new engine for about a grand, how much would the swap itsef cost me (labor, extra parts)
w/104k miles, 10-10.5k. I bought a 3.5L today w/ 877 miles on it for $1000 shipped. I'm going to drop it in a 4th gen. Labor cost, if you have a shop do it, prolly $1000, an individual maybe $500/
Old 08-22-2005, 01:32 PM

Swap should be cheaper, with no mods to do, you unhook everything, and pull it out, then drop the new one. Why all the labor?
Old 08-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

Originally Posted by Glasuan
Swap should be cheaper, with no mods to do, you unhook everything, and pull it out, then drop the new one. Why all the labor?
I'm just giving you some ballpark number of what you would be charged. It's prolly a 6-8 hour job. The "book" probably says something rediculous like 16. Most shops charge whatever the book says and muliply it by their labor rate.
Most labor rates are 40-60 depending on the shop and the part of the country you're in.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:22 PM

So I picked it up today. Brand new inspection/emissions, four fresh new tires Kumho Solus (never heard of the solus, but the other Kumho's I've had have been pretty good), brand new rotors and brakes all around (they even painted the calipers silver to match the wheels), cleaned and detailed throughout, and because the previous radio had some marks on the screen they exchanged that too. He even went out of his way to find me a valet key and another FOB (two keys, two FOBs, and a Valet Key).

If anyone in the Philly area is thinking about getting a car I would recommend at least taking a look at www.carvision.com
Their prices are good, and the service I received was top notch.

Now I've got to stop by the Nissan dealer and get my headlights secured with the DataDots system.