5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

GAB low-end concerns

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 02:03 PM

GAB low-end concerns

Im thinking about performing the GAB modification but have concerns about potential low end power loss from the increased airflow. Can fellow .org-ers with the GAB mod chime in on this matter? Please keep in mind that I have an auto so power <2k rpm is crucial.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:24 PM
I Know Kwaliti

I did it on my 2K auto, lost the bottom end and gained a whole lotta noise... Removed it two days later after got beatten by a 4th gen of a dead stop (which I regularly beat without that)... The people on the org that dyno'ed it claim top end gains but I am not interested in that on expense of bottom end...
Old 08-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thats the prime reason i never installed a exhaust system because you seem to loss low end tq with any kind of high flow air system....
Old 08-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Play with my balls

I have the ported airbox, with the hacked off top, and I actually gained my low end back after removing my Injen intake. I think this is the best intake mod if you want to keep your low end. If there is a minimal loss, I haven't experienced it. Plus if you get the rest of the exhaust mods, ie..y-pipe/headers, catback......trust me, you'll gain more than what you have.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:29 PM
BP
Donating Maxima.org Member

if the rest of your plumbing is stock then low end will be lost with vitually any intake. it seems the gab causes less of a low end loss than other intakes.

in my experience i did lose some low end but not enough to make me want to go back to stock. i have no problem pulling hard from a stop and still have to be careful with the gas or roast the tires.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by BP
if the rest of your plumbing is stock then low end will be lost with vitually any intake. it seems the gab causes less of a low end loss than other intakes.

in my experience i did lose some low end but not enough to make me want to go back to stock. i have no problem pulling hard from a stop and still have to be careful with the gas or roast the tires.
same here...at first i thought i felt a little off the low end because i was very skeptical about the whole idea of the GAB in the first place....but when i went back to stock there really wasnt any noticable changes down low but it didn't seem to pull as hard up top...after that i went back to the GAB and it's been on since...it's really a painless thing...i take it off whenever my mom drives my car and whenever i get it serviced then put it back on later..it takes two seconds...just try it and see how you like it..the worst that can happen is that you wont like it, in which case you can go back to stock and you will have wasted a whopping 10 minutes of your life and a coat hanger...
Old 08-12-2005, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by maxilvr06
..the worst that can happen is that you wont like it, in which case you can go back to stock and you will have wasted a whopping 10 minutes of your life and a coat hanger...
Good point. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:16 PM

When I dynoed I found no low end loss. In fact I saw gains across the entire RPM range.

dyno >>>>>>>>>>> butt-dyno

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...1&postcount=12

My dynos dont show below 2k rpm, but I could not detect any difference.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:27 PM

I really felt no low end loss... I have a hacked airbox, it sounds good, its free and it gets more air, I also have a complete exhaust...
Old 08-13-2005, 01:31 AM
Need A Light?

I use to run on a GAB for 5k miles...felt great! no low end losses what so ever...It felt pretty strong up top too...one of the coolest free mods for a maxima....

but hands down, the STS mod is the best free mod ive done....then throw on some lithium grase to the pivot ball on the bottom ($2.99)...and 3qts of MT-90 ($28 shipped)...one of the best mods i:ve done...hands down
Old 08-13-2005, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by bgates1654
When I dynoed I found no low end loss. In fact I saw gains across the entire RPM range.

dyno >>>>>>>>>>> butt-dyno
Nice work...
Old 08-13-2005, 07:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've been wondering how do you go about having a govern takin or bypassing its function. Because, it shuting down the engine really isn't what i need. A friend of mine told me that you wouldn't be able to find a computer that didn't come with one on it but i was wondering if there was a way to manipulate it.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:07 AM
I Know Kwaliti

If you look at the dyno graph, the GAB line shows highest gains at the top but in the low end it is trailing behind all others and it requires higher mph for the same torque/HP compared to the other lines, meaning loss in low end... Am I correct or did I misinterprate something?
Old 08-13-2005, 10:44 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

I am working on a chamber CAI system. The filter will go in same location as the Place Racing CAI, but would have the chamber where the stock box would be. Once I get it taken care of bugs worked out I'll dyno to see any gains. Here are a couple pics of the first box design. right now it's smaller then this cause still making it fit.

Old 08-13-2005, 04:59 PM
I Know Kwaliti

Excellent work!!! Please keep us posted...
Old 08-13-2005, 05:22 PM
I Know Kwaliti

What I actually did to my filter box and hoses, I wrapped them with sticky 4" wide aluminum tape to reflect the heat from the engine (got the tape at Home Depot :-)... I'll see to post some pics of that...
Old 08-13-2005, 06:22 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

i would think due to the velocity of the air that it would be unaffected by any attempted decreased temps in the air box. i used to have my old frankencar midpipe wrapped in something similar to what you described. i did temperature tests with my obd2 software getting the readings from the air temp sensor that was plugged into the midpipe. there was hardly any difference at idle or driving around.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:26 AM

"Am I correct or did I misinterprate something?"

You definitely misinterpreted something.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:31 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Originally Posted by bgates1654
"Am I correct or did I misinterprate something?"

You definitely misinterpreted something.
Do you care to explain what I misinterpreted or are you just making fun of my spelling? :-)
Old 08-15-2005, 08:52 AM

I am not exactly sure what you misinterpreted. Your statement makes no sense to me. Perhaps by telling you that the first 3 were started at about 2k rpms and the last one (the GAB) was started around 3k rpm or maybe 2.5k I dont remember) will clear something up. The dyno operator ran it that time and didnt listen to/forgot what I said to start it at. However he did wind it out to about 7k rpms though. The others were stopped about 6200-6300 rpm becuase at that point the tach reads 6600. I was unaware that the tach reads low back then.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:08 AM
I Know Kwaliti

I just found it interesting that the GAB set up was ran differently than other 3 runs and with higher RPMs... We all know that RPM is directly related to HP so I am questioning the validity of the numbers, i.e. GAB "gains" at low end...
Old 08-15-2005, 12:06 PM
dot dot dot ...

My GAB dyno shwpoed gains throughout,(amplified plot) but car is auto and to get anytghing less than 3.5k on a dyno is not possible in a 5.5g.

I feel no low end loss, also, it's a 3.5L, it actually has a good amount of low end. If you want this mod for racing etc, low end is important, but not after 1st gear, after that you'll never see less than 2k again.

SO my point here is, if you don't typically see anything greater than 5k rpm at least once a day, leave it stock.
Facts are, both myself and bgates have proven the GAB @ ~ 9whp, I am auto, and he's 6M, also, they show gaisn over the entire powerband, not only @ higher rpms.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:45 PM
BP
Donating Maxima.org Member

maybe "loss" is the wrong word to describe it. however when the intake is stock i notice slightly (but noticeable) better response from a stop and lower rpms <3k.

with the gab the car is slightly less responsive from a stop and low rpms but builds speed quicker as rpms rise, plus it's definitely more responsive than stock from about 4k all the way up. the 3.5L is strong enough to compensate for any percieved low end "loss" with the gab in, i just press the go pedal a little harder.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:24 PM

When I drop the hammer from a dead stop my tires are dropping tread, so maybe it's not so bad to lose just a touch of low end until your tires catch. Of course I still have stock size Falken 512's and don't race, so my logic may not be that valuable.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:37 PM

Problem is dropping the hammer while really neat is not practical or necessary for everyday driving. In case this mod does make it necessary it is then inpractical. I asked the question with real world/day to day driving performance in mind. Low end matters in everyday driving stop & go driving, at least for autos.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:42 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by kobalt
Problem is dropping the hammer while really neat is not practical or necessary for everyday driving. In case this mod does make it necessary it is then inpractical. I asked the question with real world/day to day driving performance in mind. Low end matters in everyday driving stop & go driving, at least for autos.
i have no low end loss with either feel or dyno. the last dyno i had, i measured more torque than hp and that was with a full intake. i now run a ported & hacked air box. i sit in traffic day in and day out and this setup feels more responsive than the intake did and i get better mileage. of course, i have just about every other bolt on for my auto besides a muffler.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:48 AM
Mauja He Mauja

i have a CAI and i definately have felt a loss in low end. i got the CAI after reading great reviews especially about the low end loss. so from stock to berk to cai..

losing low end it is very irritating, since i have an auto. i am thinking of going back to stock. with the cattman y-pipe and stock air box, i will still have a little extra juice
Old 08-16-2005, 05:33 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by ZIPPIN
i have a CAI and i definately have felt a loss in low end. i got the CAI after reading great reviews especially about the low end loss. so from stock to berk to cai..

losing low end it is very irritating, since i have an auto. i am thinking of going back to stock. with the cattman y-pipe and stock air box, i will still have a little extra juice
my low end felt ok with the full intake but felt much more pronounced with the ported/hacked stock air box. i have not been to the dyno since putting it back on so i have no concrete evidence but it has the best feeling when either driving hard or day to day. i have always heard cai was good for maintaining or gaining low end response/power but i guess it is not true in every case.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:23 AM
dot dot dot ...

my low end felt ok with the full intake
have a CAI and i definately have felt a loss in low end
Invalid posts, we're talking about GAB .. not "full intakes" or "cais" ..
Old 08-16-2005, 06:47 AM
I Know Kwaliti

To me, for daily driving and occassional of the stop take-off, lower end is very important. Furthermore, I do appreciate the top end gains but I do not get to enjoy them as often as low end...
Old 08-16-2005, 06:50 AM
dot dot dot ...

And you also have 0.5 less liters, so for everyday driving, you need all the low end you can get .. are you auto or 5 speed?
Old 08-16-2005, 06:53 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Invalid posts, we're talking about GAB .. not "full intakes" or "cais" ..
that is why i followed up with my comments about my ported/gab. that is what we like to call a comparison.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:04 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
And you also have 0.5 less liters, so for everyday driving, you need all the low end you can get .. are you auto or 5 speed?
Yup, I agree... I am auto...
Old 08-16-2005, 01:35 PM

I have the GAB and a test pipe installed on my max and I definated noticed HP increase. Main thing is make sure you are running a K&N air filter. Acceleration is less responsive at first, but as said gains speed faster. So I would say for example if you are stuck behind a van in the slow lane and cars are flying past you in the fast lane you would need the quick response that the maxima is known for.

Note my test pipe was free. I made it my self out of steel tubing. Welded it to the exisitng hardware. Its ghetto but works.

Also does anyone have a link to the PAB CAI or STS mods?

Thanks,
Alec
Old 08-16-2005, 01:39 PM
dot dot dot ...

3.5L.

The GAB w/stock midpipe is worth 9 whp, and the GAB w aftermarket stright mid-pipe is worth 9.xx whp.. the midpipe isn't worth the added noise.

And my GAB dynos were done w/o a K&N, only paper filter element ...

**edit***

Oh shyt he was talking about test pipe .. anyway still.

There's a few split hairs for you .