5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ebay projector headlights for 02-03 folks got a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 08:43 PM
No More Maxipad

ebay projector headlights for 02-03 folks got a few questions

for those with 02-03 maxima's anyone use these headlights?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-01...91479278QQrdZ1

i used the poor man's search but couldn't find much info on this.

my question is since the 02-03 use hid's so getting these ebay headlights will sacrafice the hid's?

i am just planning on temporarily using those ebay headlights while my oem ones getting retrofitted. it says they're plug and play but is the plug and play feature same for 00-01 and 02-03?
Old 08-10-2005, 08:57 PM

why would you wanna, well not ruin, but alter a perfectly good set of oem 02/03 headlights when you could do the retro fit on the ebay projectors. anyways i have not seen oem 02/03 headlights with a retro, not saying it cant be done but im not seeing anyone do it. im not sure if the projectors with work with your wiring harness tho, but i dont know that much about those projectors so i could be really wrong. anyways, do the retro on the ebay lights, its a much wiser decision. either sell the oem or keep them so you can return it to stock to sell and then sell the retro's which you can sell for more than what the lights are selling on ebay now
Old 08-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=415645

Just delete this thread and do some searching for Dr. Roy's retrofits.... it'll save ya time, money, and flaming ... besides, IMO the 02-03 HIDs are perfectly fine headlights....
Old 08-10-2005, 09:02 PM

my 2000 Maxima...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2073914

the light output is marginal, but they look soooo good on this car!!

EDIT: from what I hear, these lights are easier to wire on the 02-03, not the 00-01 like my car....but that's not an official statement
Old 08-10-2005, 09:08 PM
No More Maxipad

i know these headlights suck...i just want them temporarily cuz i can't find another set of 02-03 headlights for cheap. i'm having my current 02-03 headlights sent to my friend to retrofit tsx projectors on them so i just need a set to put on my car temporarily and the ebay ones seem cheaper than getting new 02-03 ones.

so i was just wondering if the harness will plug right in for me?

i'm just addicted to retrofits

i can't stand the blurry cutoff on the reflector hids haha

on my accord i had gone thru quite a few retrofits...

s2k retrofit

tsx retrofit

and also tried a6 bixenon, ece d2s valeos, and e46 single xenons...i love sharp cutoff
Old 08-10-2005, 09:23 PM

Interesting... I've never heard of anyone doing a retrofit on the stock HIDs.... I feel like its a waste of some perfectly good HIDs when you can just use the cheapo eBay projectors to do the retrofit and sell the HIDs.... then again, what do I know about lighting?
Old 08-10-2005, 10:21 PM

This is what I hate about this site sometimes. The guy isn't asking what your opinions are... he's asking if the lights will work. Don't slam people for trying new things. I have TSX projectors in the ebay lights and they're great. However, I knda do not like how the housing looks. I think the '02-'03 lights look so much nicer and he wants to have projectors. The best of both worlds. Geez people, just answer the man's question, dont tell him what to do.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by tryboz
This is what I hate about this site sometimes. The guy isn't asking what your opinions are... he's asking if the lights will work. Don't slam people for trying new things. I have TSX projectors in the ebay lights and they're great. However, I knda do not like how the housing looks. I think the '02-'03 lights look so much nicer and he wants to have projectors. The best of both worlds. Geez people, just answer the man's question, dont tell him what to do.
1. I didn't answer the question directly because I have no experience with eBay projectors on an 02-03. I was also just trying to warn him of the eBay projectors' low output, since not everyone seems know that light output isn't that great.

2. No one is bashing him for trying the new retrofit... I've never heard of anyone doing it and was expressing that, hence my "then again, what do I know about lighting?" statement. It was nothing negative.

3. I was hoping to be educated when said I feel like its a waste of HIDs because I'd think you could use some other cheaper housing instead of sacrificing the stock HIDs... but once again I could be wrong, since "what do I know about lighting?". That was the same as the point MxdOut97 posted.

4. In the same way, don't be so quick to jump at others' throat just because they are offering different views and opinions. You are doing exactly what you're accusing us of doing just because you've (incorrectly) perceived us to be "bashing" his ideas. This IMO is the whole point of a forum, to get questions answered AND to gain others' opinions on the topic.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:54 AM

I think by now everyone knows that the ebay projectors suck at lighting hence why people retrofit them. If it's not known let me make it clear...

EVERYONE THE EBAY PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS SUCK ON LIGHT OUTPUT, IF YOU LIVE IN A LIGHTED AREA YOU WILL SEE WITH THE HELP OF THE STREET LIGHTS, IF NOT THEN YOU'RE SO SCREWED WITHOUT A RETROFIT... How's that? Haha

As to answer your question lowincash, anything is possible! =0 But IMO I wouldn't even mess with the 2k2 hls..They are so much nicer looking anyway.

So for now on people have no reason to ask if the projectors r bright..But of course they still will...they still will....
Old 08-11-2005, 08:28 AM
No More Maxipad

thanks for the replys guys...oh don't worry i don't think anyone is bashing me or anything...i know ebay projectors have horrible output it's just a temporary thing and once i get my retrofit headlights i won't need those anymore haha

but ya reason i'm going to retrofit projectors onto the hid housing is cuz projectors are just so much better than the reflector hids. i love seeing the color flicker on the cutoff and when i drive behind cars it looks so nice haha

sorry if i didn't get my questions right on the first post...so many questions were going thru my head i guess i got confused myself =/
Old 08-11-2005, 09:11 AM

I'm not trying to bash anyone. My POINT is.... with all these posts, has anyone answered his question yet? No. People start talking about this and that and the topic gets lost. His question was about will the plugs work, not if he should do it or how it is going to look or that he is wasting his time. I'm saying other boards are more productive. People ask questions, they answer it. Here people ask questions, if its been asked before they tell you to F off and search or they try to convince you to do something else.

Don't get me wrong, I love people's opinions. Half of my posts are what do you guys think of this and that. I'm not sure why I am even lecturing, we're men. Men don't go searching for hours to find an answer, we take 5 secs to ask a question and hope someone answers it. My only point was that no one was answering his question, and if you don't know about lighting, then why respond? I'm not saying I'm a know it all cuz I dont kow $hit. lol
Old 08-11-2005, 09:15 AM

if you put those light on you will not be able to make use of the xenon equipment from the 2k2 lights -you will have to make use of the crappy h3 projectors. Also it wont be plug & play, the plugs on your car are completly different than those on a 2k-2k1 car . but since they will only be on for a little while, use some jumper wires, wire taps, electric tape, ect to. rig somthing up. there is a diagram on p11 of of my cardomaine site for connecting 2k2 lights up to a 2k-2k1 max. there is enough info there to get the projector lights hooked up on your car.

with that said, should be interesting to see how your lights come out. post some pics when done. the only retro i know of using a set of 2k2-3m lights was 02SEinMA, he used a set of valeos, but as i remember when he posted pics of the retro, it wasnt recieved to warmly.
i had a banged up spare 2k2 light that i used for parts. i used the reflector to test fit a projector, to see how it would look.

e55 single xenon

h7 valeo
Old 08-11-2005, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by tryboz
and if you don't know about lighting, then why respond?
Simple, because I'm trying to learn more about his project. If he can handle my questions, that's fine, if not then I'll accept that too, but since he's the one who's doing the project and asking the questions, I'll let him decide as to whether I should have responded or not, not you.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:44 AM
No More Maxipad

thanks dr. roy....right now i think i might have found a set of headlights so i don't need to go thru with the ebay ones hehe those pics don't look bad at all i think it'll come out pretty nice when it's done..just gotta find some nice bezels to use. i remember hearing about 02SEinMA's retrofit over at hidplanet but i don't remember if i saw his pics or not. wonder how his look. btw what kind of bezel did you use to test on that 02-03 headlight? looks like those aluminum bowls huh?
Old 08-11-2005, 04:20 PM

who's doing the retro for you?
...the bezels are chromed steel bowls, i picked up a dozen or so of them from a $0.99 store that was going out of buisness and was having $.69 sale. took a little work to get them just so, but they work real nice. i would send you 2 if you needed but am on a ever growing roadtrip so i couldnt do it any time soon.

its not my place to post his pics, so here is a link to a hidplanet thread w/ pics of 00SEinMA's retro

http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopi...895&highlight=
Old 08-11-2005, 06:06 PM
No More Maxipad

my friend from virginia's gonna do my retrofit (99aznaccord from hidplanet)...he's done all my other ones on my accords so i think this will be the first maxima he's gonna do so hope it's gonna come out nice and straight...i think i'm going to try to find those a4 bezels again i love how those look
Old 02-06-2006, 08:47 AM
RR5

Any updates?
Old 02-06-2006, 08:56 AM
No More Maxipad

i've decided not to do a retrofit anymore =/ i messed up my front bumper and might want to get that fixed instead =( i'm starting to like the stock hid setup now especially every once in a while i clean my headlights and the cutoff becomes a bit more sharper and lesser glare