5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

opinions of stock brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 07:30 AM
Only gentoo powered Maxima!

opinions of stock brakes?

hey guys, i was just curious how you all felt about our stock braking system, i had to make a very quick stop yesterday because of some ******* driver deciding he wanted to make a right turn into the WalMart parking lot from the left lane of a 3 lane wide road.... any way I felt like the car was NEVER going to stop, granted i was not using the transmission to brake at all, are they any decent upgrades to the brake system besided better pads that isnt too expensive, im not trying to buy a brembo big brake kit yet
Old 07-24-2005, 07:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

a lot of people feel this way about the maxima's brakes, but from past experiances, i have the opposite opinion about them....just the other day, as a matter of fact, i was on the highway doing 70 and the cars were pretty much bumper to bumper...anyway, i was behind an audi A4 about 2 car lengths and all of a sudden everyone SLAMS on their brakes...we went from 70 to 15 mph really quickly and the A4 in front of me had to swerve to the side while i maintained my 2 car distance and the distance was even growing between us since my car was braking so good...i guess it's just a matter of if you take care of your brakes or not...i think mine were new at 30k and now it had about 40k then....they still brake like new because i'm not hard on them at all...

anyways, there are several alternatives suchas BBKs and you can even swap the 6th gen brakes (calipers/rotors/etc.) onto your car if you have the 17" wheels....anyway, good luck with that, and i would definitely get them checked, because i really do think that when these brakes are in good condition, they are extremely good...
Old 07-24-2005, 07:47 AM
Only gentoo powered Maxima!

well supposedly before I bought the car last week the turned the rotors and replaced the brake pads.... idk if that means **** though
Old 07-24-2005, 08:59 AM
大陆弟弟

I feel the brakes are weak, feels like it doesn't have enough stopping power for a car of this weight.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:37 AM

I've only rear-ended someone once, and it wasn't the brake's fault (stupid cell phone
). I'm usually not a tailgaiter, so I don't have a problem with stopping quick enough. I recently replaced my front pads with Raybestos QS ceramic pads. I don't see a big improvement in braking, but at least I don't squeek any more.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:41 PM
Looking for a few good Maximas

If you want some basic brake improvement without shelling out over $1000 for a Big Brake kit, just get some SS lines, improved rotors (like irotors), and use stock pads or Hawk pads... you'll have plenty of stopping power. If you have a ton of "stop and go" all the time, get some heavier duty brake fluid.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:53 PM

I also have no problem with my stock brakes, many times at high speeds ive had to slow down and theyve done a great job, i have high performance Brake fluid in there, and will be getting SS lines soon , just becasue i want them to be better but i have no complaints about the braking power of this car.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:10 PM

IF you rely (like most people do) on your brakes instead of a 2-3 second gap in between cars there isn't a brake in the work that will save you. I have to dig up an article about "performance" rotors and pads vs stock setup on a new altima ser but the outcome was it wasn't worth the money. The only thing a "performance" brake setup will provide you with is less fading when your brakes are seeing heavy use (repeated stomping on the pedal). They showed that the initial stop from say 60 -0 was different by maybe a few of feet at best. You will find out on your own that "performance" products rarely offer advantages to OEM products for the average driver. If they made such great products car sompanies would probably use theirs instead. The placebo effect accounts for so much of the "performance" market. OEM brakes aren't the best for track use but they are for the daily driver. I find my brakes outstanding and they have lasted me 60K + miles. Try to find an aftermarket pad for comparable money that lasts that long. I had a buddy whos lasted for 90K miles (stock maxima rotors and pads).
Old 07-25-2005, 06:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A stock brake system in good working order (fluid's fresh, pads and rotors are good, calipers aren't seized) stops very well. I remember when I first bought my car [used] its braking was a little substandard, but after flushing the brake system a few times since then (previous owner let the fluid sit in there and collect moisture over ~3 years) and doing some other parts replacements/upgrades, it stops on a damned dime.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:21 AM

stock brakes suck ballzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzz.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:22 AM

i warp mine too quick
Old 07-25-2005, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by zax 20th ae
stock brakes suck ballzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzz.
get some 04 rotors, calipers and pads and call it a day
Old 07-25-2005, 08:23 AM

stockers are fine if you drive the car civilly, if you often visit over 120mph and brake hard, or if you see some track time, or autocross, i'd recommend upgrading. now what your primary use is will dictate what you should upgrade. for most street use, blank or cross drilled rotors work best as they will dissipate heat(less fade, more repeatable braking results, more consistent<-----the key) If you autocross or club race, i'd recommend at least some more aggressive pads, and perhaps slotted rotors as they wll have more bite on the pads. no matter the rotor, if you abuse them, they'll warp. Be careful of pad selection, as this will affect warping. For street use I recommend ceramic pads, excellent heat dissipation, low dust adhesion, and they're quiet. For heavier use i'd recommend an agressive metallic pad, however it will eat the rotor faster as well, so there's a tradeoff........just remember, you get what you pay for. I personally use brembo cross drilled rotors all around, and NAPA ceramix pads, they are ceramic and copper compound, very nice, very clean quiet, and lifetime guaranteed(they replace them for free, they're not just hard as a rock) feel free to PM me
Old 07-25-2005, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by maxilvr06
a lot of people feel this way about the maxima's brakes, but from past experiances, i have the opposite opinion about them....just the other day, as a matter of fact, i was on the highway doing 70 and the cars were pretty much bumper to bumper...anyway, i was behind an audi A4 about 2 car lengths and all of a sudden everyone SLAMS on their brakes...we went from 70 to 15 mph really quickly and the A4 in front of me had to swerve to the side while i maintained my 2 car distance and the distance was even growing between us since my car was braking so good...i guess it's just a matter of if you take care of your brakes or not...i think mine were new at 30k and now it had about 40k then....they still brake like new because i'm not hard on them at all...

anyways, there are several alternatives suchas BBKs and you can even swap the 6th gen brakes (calipers/rotors/etc.) onto your car if you have the 17" wheels....anyway, good luck with that, and i would definitely get them checked, because i really do think that when these brakes are in good condition, they are extremely good...

The rotors do suck, which is well known. But, I think the key to your post was the fact that you maintained correct distance and applied correct pressure. The key there is to watch the fool behind you!