5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anybody having problems of noise when turning right or left after just starting car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 04:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Anybody having problems of noise when turning right or left after just starting car?

Whenever I just turn on the car and put it in drive and turn right or left out of a parallel street parking lot, I always hear a loud squeek(like the sound of an old and rusty hinge of a door). But this only happens when the car is just started and was parked for about 2 hours. I took it to the dealer and they said they didn't hear anything.(because the car was warm already)! Anybody experience similar problems.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:40 PM
Cletus

sounds to me like the power steering pump. when it sits the fluid pools in the bottom. when you start your car i guess it might take a little time for it to get lubricated again.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:21 PM

YESS!! I get the same sound. LOL i thought it was just my max. In my case whats interesting is that in the morning if I start up the car and let her sit for a while warming up, the noise doesnt appear, but only after I back up out of driveway and then move forward on the street do I hear that noise! and it is consistant!
Old 06-17-2005, 06:46 PM
retired moderator

if it's a quick, abrupt sqeak - check the steering bump stop caps. When the plastic caps wear through, it's metal-on-metal.

if it's more of a "squeal" it is the power steering belt or pump
Old 06-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

We def. need to find out what the noise is. Mine comes from the back right side. I took it to nissan last week an they said the same thing "we didnt hear anything" but its only cuz it was like 85 degrees outside, it only happens when just started going into reverse and forward and on chilly days. I needto know what the hell it is????
Old 06-18-2005, 01:38 PM

happens to me when the wheel is cut all the way to the left, it happens all the time wen i pull out of my gf's drievway cuz its a huge hill im going down then i have to cut it all the way to the left
Old 06-18-2005, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by nismo0604
happens to me when the wheel is cut all the way to the left, it happens all the time wen i pull out of my gf's drievway cuz its a huge hill im going down then i have to cut it all the way to the left
I know that noise you are talking about, the noise I am talking about is different as you dont even have to cut the steering wheel all the way left or right, it just sounds as soon as I drive forward. It makes that 1-2 second noise and then its all good.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:39 PM

well do u know what the **** that noise is then cuz its annoying lol
Old 06-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by nismo0604
well do u know what the **** that noise is then cuz its annoying lol
its the power steering pump...just dont turn the wheel all the way
Old 06-18-2005, 09:11 PM

I would suggest leaving the car at the dealership overnight and then coming back in the morning to demonstrate the noise to the technicians. Only thing is that you'll need a ride home and back in the morning.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:16 PM

I have a bit of a problem myself trying to figure out a particular noise. It's a clicking noise coming from the left wheel area usually heard sometimes after making a hard right turn. It not the CV joint. I checked that already. The noise usually goes away once you accelerate. Not sure what it is.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:54 PM

i noticed the problem after i dropped my car. it only happens when i turn the wheel all the way to the left.... weird......
Old 04-21-2009, 05:18 PM

about how much would it be to fix the power steering pump?
Old 04-21-2009, 05:50 PM
I love lamp.

Holy old thread...

...for fixing power steering pump, depends on what's wrong...and it'll vary from place to place.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by maximase86
Holy old thread...

...for fixing power steering pump, depends on what's wrong...and it'll vary from place to place.
I actually thank the guy for reviving this thread...I have that noise & was wondering what it was. I don't have to cut all the way left or right...as soon as I pull off, I hear it. I even got the sound as I came to a stop light, turned off the car, turned the car back on, then drove off.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:06 AM

....well, I always see people getting reemed for posting threads that have been talked about 100 xs before so I am really getting used to the "Search" tab up top. You really do find a lot of your answers just by doing that...Anyway, yeah I guess I'll just have to get it checked out. But at least I have an idea of what it could be...
Old 04-24-2009, 09:18 AM

Power steerin

I had a similar problem, I had flushed the power steering system around $70.00 with that it took care of all the noise.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by ridinwitha35
I actually thank the guy for reviving this thread...I have that noise & was wondering what it was. I don't have to cut all the way left or right...as soon as I pull off, I hear it. I even got the sound as I came to a stop light, turned off the car, turned the car back on, then drove off.
This is exactly what I have as well. A door hinge is an appropriate sound comparison, but a low pitched slow swinging door at that. It even makes the noise after interstate driving for 15 mins, specifically when i'm going 1-10 mph. Seems to be left front, but that just could be the window I'm closest to. If I turn my wheel while at a stop, no sound. If I'm moving slowly, and have the wheel turned at a constant angle, or changing the angle... I hear it. With that, I'm thinking its not the Power Steering, but afraid its a wheel bearing.

I have yet to lift her up and check it out, but does this description spark-up an idea in any of your minds?
Old 07-02-2009, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chewmanfoo
This is exactly what I have as well. A door hinge is an appropriate sound comparison, but a low pitched slow swinging door at that. It even makes the noise after interstate driving for 15 mins, specifically when i'm going 1-10 mph. Seems to be left front, but that just could be the window I'm closest to. If I turn my wheel while at a stop, no sound. If I'm moving slowly, and have the wheel turned at a constant angle, or changing the angle... I hear it. With that, I'm thinking its not the Power Steering, but afraid its a wheel bearing.

I have yet to lift her up and check it out, but does this description spark-up an idea in any of your minds?
Wow thats my noise too! and only the left side. For me it happens when I am turning right, and more so when it seems more weight is distributed to that left wheel..sometimes its like a squeek, sometimes it feels like a rub..Its really hard to explain. I have looked 100 times and see nothing wrong. My only thought it a broken strut mount causing the suspension to shift more then normal.

Already ruled out wheel bearing.
I also get a similar noise when I first take off from a stop on that same side..

Something is shifting I just gotta find it!

We can all work together to figure this one out!.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:12 PM

I have the same problem! I'm not sure if it's just when i start it up, but the "screeching" noise only occurs on right turns. Sounds like something is rubbing against the rotor.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I posted the following in another thread and another person pointed me to this thread. Here is what I wrote. So far, I took it to the dealer 2 times and no fix even after bearing replaced. I hope it is a steering pump problem. Any help is greatly appreciated:

"Sorry that it is an old thread, but I have something similar with my 2004 Infiniti I35. When I make a right turn in the morning or after it parks for a few hours in a cool/cold day, it would make this grinding or metal to metal noise (only right turn). Then, after it is warmed up (5 mins or so), the noise is gone. Also, when it is going from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd gear, I hear this rumbling/groan noise (the first min or 2 in a cold/cool day). I have no idea what it is. Could it be this "Your steering bump stops" issue that "n3985" mentioned?

Infiniti dealer replaced the front driver side wheel bearing and it is still doing the same thing after that. I am afraid that it is a transmission issue. My extended warranty is going to run out in May of 2010. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks"
Old 07-22-2009, 05:59 AM

FWIW, had the front of the car in the air, wheels off. As soon as I put it in drive, I heard the noise. It sounds to me to be from the transmission area.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by myrcgarage
I posted the following in another thread and another person pointed me to this thread. Here is what I wrote. So far, I took it to the dealer 2 times and no fix even after bearing replaced. I hope it is a steering pump problem. Any help is greatly appreciated:

"Sorry that it is an old thread, but I have something similar with my 2004 Infiniti I35. When I make a right turn in the morning or after it parks for a few hours in a cool/cold day, it would make this grinding or metal to metal noise (only right turn). Then, after it is warmed up (5 mins or so), the noise is gone. Also, when it is going from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd gear, I hear this rumbling/groan noise (the first min or 2 in a cold/cool day). I have no idea what it is. Could it be this "Your steering bump stops" issue that "n3985" mentioned?

Infiniti dealer replaced the front driver side wheel bearing and it is still doing the same thing after that. I am afraid that it is a transmission issue. My extended warranty is going to run out in May of 2010. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks"
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2009, 09:06 PM

I also have the same grinding/squealing noise when first starting the car and turning the wheel sharply (either direction) while moving. The noise seems to sound like metal on metal or a gear grinding from little or no lubrication. This seems to only happen when I drive off within like 10 seconds of starting my car, although I haven't tested to see if letting the car warm up first helps any. Sounds to me like the power steering is the culprit.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ExoticTouch
I also have the same grinding/squealing noise when first starting the car and turning the wheel sharply (either direction) while moving. The noise seems to sound like metal on metal or a gear grinding from little or no lubrication. This seems to only happen when I drive off within like 10 seconds of starting my car, although I haven't tested to see if letting the car warm up first helps any. Sounds to me like the power steering is the culprit.
Yes, it is very similar to yours. But how power steering is related. I know very little about car mechanic, so, it is just a question for you and not questioning your answer But mine last about 5 mins in the winter. In the summer, I hardly notice that.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2009, 03:48 PM

While browsing through the FSM, I think I've figured out the noise...and it's actually normal.

It's the ABS motor doing an operation check:

Originally Posted by 02 i35 fsm, BR-98
When starting the engine, or just after starting the vehicle,
the brake pedal may vibrate or the motor operating noise
may be heard from the engine compartment. This is a
normal status of the operation check.
My old car used to have ABS take over a lot (in snow) and I'm just now realizing that's exactly the sound that I hear.

Maybe more experienced people can chime in on this thought?

6th gen reference where someone alluded to the ABS test since OP was hearing buzzing sound:
https://maxima.org/forums/6th-genera...ird-sound.html

Last edited by ridinwitha35; 08-15-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:00 PM

Interesting. I have heard this same noise coming from the right side when make a right turn backing out of the driveway or anywhere else I park the car. I thought it was something rubbing against the rotors so I thought my brakes were the culprit. I am taking my 02 I35 for an oil change so I am going to have them take a peek at it. I wonder if I should ask them to change my power steering fluid.

Will advise later what the dealership finds out.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:29 PM

Yesterday I had some space and found a nice-sized puddle to try to do a sudden application of the brakes to purposely let ABS kick in. Just as I thought, the exact same sound was heard. It's definitely ABS-related, at least in my case.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:49 AM

I also think it's the ABS. When I had problems with a wheel sensor, I read the theory of operation and it said the noise may be heard and is normal operation to pressurize the system.

The ABS will "relieve" brake preasure or "add" brake presure or "remain the same" preasure as road conditions change. I think the noise we hear is the pump charging the system.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:27 PM

front passanger noise

I'm having a similar noise with my car. I have a 01 maxima 20th anniv. and everytime i drive i hear a grinding noise kinda like when the dust shield is rubbing against the rotor. I took everything off (rotor, caliper, etc.) and i turned the wheel and i'm hearing the noise. It sounds like it comming from the cv axle or something in the transmission area. Does any one have this particular problem and have fixed it? i would like to know because the noise is driving me crazy!