5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Free Sts........

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Play with my balls

Free Sts........

Well 100% of this ordeal is credited to SR20DEN! Yep you're right, he's at it again.

Because of the whinin and biatchin about the overpriced STS for our 6-speeds, Matt came up with this fabricated mod that I've had for a couple of months and asked for his permission to let the cat out of the bag. Let the pictures speak for themselves. It works great, from what I've heard it seems to be a tad shorter than what the other two companies are competing to sell over. Best of all it's Freeeeeeee, well at least the do-it-yourself is. I've had no issues with this so far and loving it everytime I drive.

1 - Remove pin and cable from post.
2 - Align to the side (keep in mind when people say that the shifter moved is because of how far you pull and push the cable in and out. The sideways movement away from the post is what makes it shorter.)
Make sure you have someone with you to CENTER the shifter to your liking (forward or back a little)
3 - Make your mark to drill, but try not to drill completely through.
4 - Get a thread bit and thread your hole.
5 - Use washer and bolt combination to bolt into newly drilled hole. My bolt is snug, but with the washer you should have minut play there.
6 - Happy Short Shifting!

Note: No one mentioned here including myself is responsible for any damage that may occur from this mod. This is for informational purposes only, and any attempt will mean that you will take full responsibilty. I suggest having this professional installed. (gotta cover ourselves)

How's this for clearer pics?

If you can't read the writing, one says, "This Centers Shifter"
The other one says, "This Shortens Throw"

Old 05-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Suspension Yoda

got any non-blurry pics?
Old 05-03-2005, 07:16 PM
Isn't that a girl's name?

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
got any non-blurry pics?
thats the million dollar question right there. i'm not even sure if thats the engine side or the cabin side of the linkage. ha!

but i appreciate the effort nonetheless.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:36 AM
Play with my balls

Sorry. Yeah guys, I know the pics are blurry, all of them came out like that. When it was a smaller pixel it was fine. Cardomain does something to the pics on top of the blurriness. The camera is my girlfriends, and it's not the best in the world, but I'll get new ones up today.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Damn....I wish I would have thought of that before I spent 150 bucks.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:46 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by makavelisk
Damn....I wish I would have thought of that before I spent 150 bucks.

Do the mod. Sell the Shifter Kit.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:55 AM

how does the shifter lign up? does it stick forward too much or is it normal, just the the throws are shorter?
Old 05-04-2005, 06:10 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by MaxSE-R
how does the shifter lign up? does it stick forward too much or is it normal, just the the throws are shorter?

You can actually adjust it. Mine is dead center just how I like it. To adjust where the center is, just push the cable in and out to align. Another person in the car will help. You'll see once you get the cable off the post.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:35 AM

Hmm...this looks pretty easy...How is the feel? Is it notchy?
Old 05-04-2005, 06:47 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by DaBoxSE
Hmm...this looks pretty easy...How is the feel? Is it notchy?

Yes the notchiness does not change. If anything with any type of short shifter, it should be a tad notchier. It's definately worth it, and if you're use to it now, then it won't even faze you. You'd more than likely won't be able to get over the grin on your face.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:53 AM

Nice...I just realized you didn't mention a nut on the other side, do you need one? The bolt wont have a chance to pop out will it?
Old 05-04-2005, 07:23 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by DaBoxSE
Nice...I just realized you didn't mention a nut on the other side, do you need one? The bolt wont have a chance to pop out will it?

Nope no nut, that's why one of the steps say to not drill through. It's not budged yet, and I shift pretty hard. Hard enough that my ring tore the leather on the **** one night. Now I gotta get a new ****.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
Yes the notchiness does not change. If anything with any type of short shifter, it should be a tad notchier. It's definately worth it, and if you're use to it now, then it won't even faze you. You'd more than likely won't be able to get over the grin on your face.
Time for some MT-90 then.... I just got some myself... waiting for some free time to do the swap...
Old 05-04-2005, 09:12 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Time for some MT-90 then.... I just got some myself... waiting for some free time to do the swap...

I did it once when I first got the car, but it didn't seem to help that long. At first, shifts were like butter. After a couple of weeks it started going back to it's normal notchiness.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:39 AM

can't wait to see better pics I'll try this this weekend if I have time.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:09 PM

Paramy,

When you lifted the rod and bushing off of the post and rested it on the arm, did you mark for the hole where you rested it? Or did you move the arm around? I basically put the shifter in neutral, then lifted the arm, and where ever it laid I marked with a metal punch. I started drilling but saw that I was starting to come through the backside of the arm. I may not have positioned the rod/hole correctly, meaning more to the center of the arm. What do you think? Thanks
Old 05-04-2005, 02:32 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by bladerunr
Paramy,

When you lifted the rod and bushing off of the post and rested it on the arm, did you mark for the hole where you rested it? Or did you move the arm around? I basically put the shifter in neutral, then lifted the arm, and where ever it laid I marked with a metal punch. I started drilling but saw that I was starting to come through the backside of the arm. I may not have positioned the rod/hole correctly, meaning more to the center of the arm. What do you think? Thanks

You're fine. Actually, I was in the car centering the shifter while Matt was marking it. You did it correctly, mine started to come through the back side also, because where it needs to be, the metal is not as thick as towards the center of that piece. You're fine with it coming through a little, even if it went through all the way it's ok, cause you still have that bolt holding it and it shouldn't unscrew.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:18 PM

much better pics!!! but when doing this the bolt doesnt go all the way through the metal piece?
Old 05-04-2005, 05:54 PM

Thanks for this thread Decked out! Also thanks for the clearer pics!!! I was lost there for awhile.

Puppetmaster,
I put MT-90 in my trans about 1 1/2 months ago and the shifting is smoother after the trans. warms up. There is no improvement however, when the trans. is cold (in my case).

I hope this helps,
Gears
Old 05-04-2005, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Gears & Crosses
Puppetmaster,
I put MT-90 in my trans about 1 1/2 months ago and the shifting is smoother after the trans. warms up. There is no improvement however, when the trans. is cold (in my case).

I hope this helps,
Gears
Thanks for the feedback... that's kinda what I expected... most trannies are sticky when cold regardless (from my limited experience) anyways... whatever it is, nothing can be worse than the way it feels now...
Old 05-04-2005, 07:21 PM

wow, this is wild. so the post in the picture is where the cable used to connect to? and you moved it about 1 inch to the side, and bolted it down? i am out of town right now, so i cant exaclty look in my engine bay.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:57 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by skierxx5556
much better pics!!! but when doing this the bolt doesnt go all the way through the metal piece?
We try not to drill completely through. Mine when through a little bit, but you bolt will hold fine.

Originally Posted by Gears & Crosses
Thanks for this thread Decked out! Also thanks for the clearer pics!!! I was lost there for awhile.

Puppetmaster,

I hope this helps,
Gears
No problem, I'm sure quite a few were lost. I swear the pics were a little better, but I couldn't go out leaving you guys hanging.

Tranny definately is no going to seem like it changed when it's cold out, but to be honest with ya, I like it notchy. Especially when spraying, I want to know I'm in gear.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by chr0nos
wow, this is wild. so the post in the picture is where the cable used to connect to? and you moved it about 1 inch to the side, and bolted it down? i am out of town right now, so i cant exaclty look in my engine bay.
Yep, post is the factory tractor trailer shift method. (not quite, but close)
What these other guys are doing is the same thing, the only difference if you looked at their shift bracket, is mounting it to the old post and making a new post in the same (new) location. Another way to make the income. Trying not to steal their thunder, but I'm about saving money (headers) , and I don't mind sharing info. Hope you don't mind receiving...
Old 05-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Need A Light?

this thread is cool....just a few questions though...

what size drill and thread bit did you use?

what size bolt+washer did you use?
Old 05-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Need A Light?

oh btw decked out...did you try the white lithium grease mod? i have MT-90 and the did the white lithium grease mod and this tranny shifts SMOOTH as hell on a mechanicial shifter....

i do have stock bushings...plan to go ES soon...do u have the bushings for your car?
Old 05-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by steven88
this thread is cool....just a few questions though...

what size drill and thread bit did you use?

what size bolt+washer did you use?
I need to verify with Matt, it's of course been about two or a little more months. The number 8 does come to mind.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:19 PM
Play with my balls

oh btw decked out...did you try the white lithium grease mod? i have MT-90 and the did the white lithium grease mod and this tranny shifts SMOOTH as hell on a mechanicial shifter....

i do have stock bushings...plan to go ES soon...do u have the bushings for your car?

actually i haven't. seen the thread a while ago, but haven't attempted it. too busy screwing with the new toy.

i don't have any bushings, or any mounts. i so far enjoy the way my car acts and reacts to me.......so i'll stick with the, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Need A Light?

thats cool....this mod seems very promising.....deckdout...u say this shifter mod "seems shorter" than the other two shifters out in the market? damn if thats so, then thats a big increase in short shifting....becuz i heard the other two sts' give approx 36% which is damn good through my eyes...

and u know wuts another sweet deal with this mod? it's free and u can go back to stock easily....if u don't like the feel....its a win-win situation if u ask me

anyway hope u can get the specs for the tools/supplies required for this install soon....i'll be heading over to the hardware store once posted...thanks!
Old 05-04-2005, 08:39 PM
Play with my balls

thats cool....this mod seems very promising.....deckdout...u say this shifter mod "seems shorter" than the other two shifters out in the market? damn if thats so, then thats a big increase in short shifting....becuz i heard the other two sts' give approx 36% which is damn good through my eyes...

and u know wuts another sweet deal with this mod? it's free and u can go back to stock easily....if u don't like the feel....its a win-win situation if u ask me

anyway hope u can get the specs for the tools/supplies required for this install soon....i'll be heading over to the hardware store once posted...thanks!
Originally Posted by Deckdout2
It works great, from what I've heard it seems to be a tad shorter than what the other two companies are competing to sell over.
It is great, best of both worlds.

I'll gather something up.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:26 PM
Need A Light?

I just got done doing this mod....

all i have to say is one thing....WOW! the throw is literally 50% shorter....it became SO short that i thought i wasn't even in gear anymore....but only one way to confirm...was to take it for a test drive...at first when i popped it into first...i was affraid i was only half-way in gear...and was affraid that if i let the clutch go...i'd GRIND like a *****...but i slowly let the clutch out...and off she goes....i tried 1st thru 6th...WOW what a difference....

i couldn't wait any longer for Deckdout to post up specs....so I just went out and tried whatever i could find....I ended up paying autozone 7 dollars for a threaded tap set....borrowed a hand drill though.....i practiced drilling on a piece of wood just to get the feel of it...and threaded it afterwards....sweet....then off to the real thing and boooYAH....short throw baby....

warning....this mod WILL make the shifter 2x more notchy.....you WILL have to re-learn how to drive for a day or two.....right now i'm barely mastering this new mod....overall i am satisfied even though it became notchier.....but to those who don't want to sacrafice...then this mod is NOT for you
Old 05-06-2005, 05:42 AM
Play with my balls

I just got done doing this mod....

all i have to say is one thing....WOW! the throw is literally 50% shorter....it became SO short that i thought i wasn't even in gear anymore....but only one way to confirm...was to take it for a test drive...at first when i popped it into first...i was affraid i was only half-way in gear...and was affraid that if i let the clutch go...i'd GRIND like a *****...but i slowly let the clutch out...and off she goes....i tried 1st thru 6th...WOW what a difference....

i couldn't wait any longer for Deckdout to post up specs....so I just went out and tried whatever i could find....I ended up paying autozone 7 dollars for a threaded tap set....borrowed a hand drill though.....i practiced drilling on a piece of wood just to get the feel of it...and threaded it afterwards....sweet....then off to the real thing and boooYAH....short throw baby....

warning....this mod WILL make the shifter 2x more notchy.....you WILL have to re-learn how to drive for a day or two.....right now i'm barely mastering this new mod....overall i am satisfied even though it became notchier.....but to those who don't want to sacrafice...then this mod is NOT for you

I like responses like this. I'm glad you like it, once you get use to it, you'll probably want it even shorter...lol. You'll notice the shorter throw more when you're driving, than just sitting there shifting. Have you also noticed that the further you shift away from 1st, the shorter it gets? Pretty nice huh. Enjoy it and thanks for not screwing anything up and think I was in.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:57 AM

Thought I would chime in and thank Deckdout, as I did this mod last night too. I also couldn't wait for exact specs of parts used to be posted, so I just took a look at the size of the post and guessed. I used a 6mm bolt, which turned out to be a bit smaller than the post, but it doesn't seem to be a problem, and if it is I guess I can get a bigger one and re-do it.

The throw is amazingly short, and it is amazingly fun! It is notchy, but not in a bad way. It seems like the neural area is a bit smaller, so it just takes more precise shifting to avoid major notchy-ness, and I'm learning exactly where things are pretty quickly. For example, on the 2-3 shift a little more attention is needed to move the stic both up and slightly to the side, as opposed to the stock set up of just ham-fistedly shoving it towards third.

Anyways, I'm rambling, so thanks Deckdout and SR. I was thinking about how to fabricate an sts myself and didn't even think of this very simple method. Also, if you think my smaller than the original post bolt will be a problem please speak up.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:10 AM
Need A Light?

--------> sr20 + deckdout
Old 05-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by SteveSE
Thought I would chime in and thank Deckdout, as I did this mod last night too. I also couldn't wait for exact specs of parts used to be posted, so I just took a look at the size of the post and guessed. I used a 6mm bolt, which turned out to be a bit smaller than the post, but it doesn't seem to be a problem, and if it is I guess I can get a bigger one and re-do it.

The throw is amazingly short, and it is amazingly fun! It is notchy, but not in a bad way. It seems like the neural area is a bit smaller, so it just takes more precise shifting to avoid major notchy-ness, and I'm learning exactly where things are pretty quickly. For example, on the 2-3 shift a little more attention is needed to move the stic both up and slightly to the side, as opposed to the stock set up of just ham-fistedly shoving it towards third.

Anyways, I'm rambling, so thanks Deckdout and SR. I was thinking about how to fabricate an sts myself and didn't even think of this very simple method. Also, if you think my smaller than the original post bolt will be a problem please speak up.

You're welcome. I can tell, and am glad you guys like it.

Come to think of it now, (haven't had a chance to get up with SR and talk to him) but we did use an 8mm. If you're not having any issues then don't worry about it. If you'd like a piece of mind, it's not hard to retap the thread after making the hole a little bigger.

Just curious, I would like to know where you guys' center stick lies. Did it move forward or backward any? I tried to center it as perfect as I could, so the shifter hasn't shifted in any direction.

but ENJOY IT!!! lol
Old 09-26-2005, 01:04 PM

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I figure it's better than starting a new one.

I just had a few questions about this mod. First, how does the ES bushing work? Is it just the black piece you see in the picture that you switch out? If that's the case, has anyone tried switching to a bearing as opposed to a bushing?

What is the material that you are drilling into? Is it steel or aluminum (how soft is it?). Do you have to helicoil or can you just tap?

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-26-2005, 06:10 PM
retired moderator

it's raining now....no lookie at car at the moment. Is this applicable to the 00-01 5speed as well?
Old 09-26-2005, 06:26 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by irish44j
it's raining now....no lookie at car at the moment. Is this applicable to the 00-01 5speed as well?
would like to know also!!!!!!
Old 09-26-2005, 08:25 PM
Need A Light?

I don't believe it applies to hydraulic transmissions....and that includes 00-01
Old 09-26-2005, 08:41 PM
retired moderator

I don't believe it applies to hydraulic transmissions....and that includes 00-01
good point...I've never really examined the linkage on the 00, and never really thought about it.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:14 AM

its for 6 spd trannies. i am almost positive the linkage is different for 5 spds.
you are drilling into steel.
the set of ES bushings includes several pieces. most go inside the car, on the actual shifter peices. only one goes in the engine bay to replace the oem one. i think that one is least important, you will get a more precise feel from replacing the bushings inside the car.

Quick Reply: Free Sts........