5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Muffler for 01 SE AE

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 05:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Muffler for 01 SE AE

I need a new rear muffler assembly. I went to a local muffler shop and they couldn't figure out what exact part to order since my car is an AE. They wanted to put on a muffler system for a regular SE but I said no because I new there was a difference. The thing is I don't know what. I want the new muffler to be close to stock as I can get and be relatively inexpensive. I plan on selling the car soon so I don't want to invest in a performance system. Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by jkayca
I need a new rear muffler assembly. I went to a local muffler shop and they couldn't figure out what exact part to order since my car is an AE. They wanted to put on a muffler system for a regular SE but I said no because I new there was a difference. The thing is I don't know what. I want the new muffler to be close to stock as I can get and be relatively inexpensive. I plan on selling the car soon so I don't want to invest in a performance system. Any help is appreciated.
I thought all 5th gen mufflers were interchangable.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:11 PM
Cletus

the AE has a muffler off of an infiniti I-30 which (according to nissan) gives the 5 extra HP
Old 04-30-2005, 06:28 PM
Kevlo for President

Which according to me = same muffler.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:53 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

there is no difference in the mufflers besides the tip. the difference between the ae and others is the b pipe which has a different part number than other se and a different ecu which also has different part numbers. the internals of the mufflers are exactly the same.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:19 PM
drag racing is for wussies

AE USA needs a diff muffler cause I don't belive the SE/GXE/GLE muffler tips will clear the body kit. I don't think Canadian AEs came with the body kit, so the muffler off ANY 5th gen is going to bolt right up. The AE muffler just has CURVED down exhaust tips vs one big OVAL tip on the 00-01s.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:18 AM

Thanks for the all the replies. So it seems the b pipe is the difference, besides the tip which I'm assuming the muffler shop can rescue from my old muffler. My next question is - what is the b-pipe? Is it the pipe near the gas tank that the muffler input pipe bolts on to? Because if it is I might need a new one of those too. The actual problem I have is a leak where the input pipe to the muffler meets this other pipe. According to the tech this joint or seal is common area for exhaust problems with Nissans. He says the flanges are pretty flimsy. It's all pretty rusted and corroded so obviously he's going to have to torch the bolts and re-tap the pipe's flanges. He doesn't know if it will survive given it's current state.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:53 AM
MCE

I had the same problem with my 01 AE. This is a weak spot for rust out at the flange. Instead of replacing muffler have a muffler shop cut out a section on either side of the flange,slide on a piece of stainless pipe and weld it up. I had mine done at Budget and it cost only 40 CAN. Stay away from shops that say it cannot be done or want to install another muffler.

MCE
Old 05-01-2005, 09:47 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by jkayca
Thanks for the all the replies. So it seems the b pipe is the difference, besides the tip which I'm assuming the muffler shop can rescue from my old muffler. My next question is - what is the b-pipe? Is it the pipe near the gas tank that the muffler input pipe bolts on to? Because if it is I might need a new one of those too. The actual problem I have is a leak where the input pipe to the muffler meets this other pipe. According to the tech this joint or seal is common area for exhaust problems with Nissans. He says the flanges are pretty flimsy. It's all pretty rusted and corroded so obviously he's going to have to torch the bolts and re-tap the pipe's flanges. He doesn't know if it will survive given it's current state.
the b pipe is the exhaust piping that starts behind the catalytic converter and goes to where it meets the axel. there is a flange that connects the b pipe to the axel over which is the piping from the mentioned flange to the muffler.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by sloppymax
the b pipe is the exhaust piping that starts behind the catalytic converter and goes to where it meets the axel. there is a flange that connects the b pipe to the axel over which is the piping from the mentioned flange to the muffler.
@sloppymax - So this means that I can use the standard SE exhaust pipe and muffler since I won't be replacing the b pipe?

There was something else mentioned about a valve in the tip? The muffler shop uses Bosal parts which says specifically that there's no valve. What is this valve and what does it do?

@MCE - I'll ask about it but I got the feeling they won't go for it. BTW, I've been dealing with Speedy.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:27 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

the valve is standard in all 2k-2k3 mufflers. at a certain low rpm like 3k, it opens up to help improve exhaust flow. nissan marketed it as helping low end while its close and helping acceleration when you have it wide open. you can use an se muffler and the axel over piping. as far as bosals replacment, it probably does not have the valve. the muffler design is from a skyline and might not be cost effective for bosal to attempt to copy it. the bosal is probably the same size, inlet and close in weight.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:41 PM
MCE

Don't go to Speedy. They do stuff too much by the book. Look for a smaller custom shop that is more flexible.
MCE
Old 05-02-2005, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by MCE
Don't go to Speedy. They do stuff too much by the book. Look for a smaller custom shop that is more flexible.
MCE
What's the draw back in the method you proposed MCE?
Old 05-02-2005, 01:31 PM
MCE

I don't notice any drawbacks. The exhaust sounds the same, just a deeper burble from the y-pipe. The rest of the muffler and pipes are clean and I didn't want to spring 460 CAN. for a new muffler. Jeez, my Budget y-pipe was around half the price of the OEM muffler.

MCE
Old 01-19-2007, 06:57 AM

Question about Muffler Tips

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2002 Maxima SE 6MT, and love it. 2 days after I had the vehicle, the muffler rotted out and was replaced by the dealership at no cost to me (used Toyota Pre-Owned dealership). They sent the car out to Meineke.

Now I have the 2000-2001 style muffler on there. Besides the tips, is there any performance difference? I'm not sure I prefer this look.

Thanks All,

- Zack
Old 01-19-2007, 07:03 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by zgendron
Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2002 Maxima SE 6MT, and love it. 2 days after I had the vehicle, the muffler rotted out and was replaced by the dealership at no cost to me (used Toyota Pre-Owned dealership). They sent the car out to Meineke.

Now I have the 2000-2001 style muffler on there. Besides the tips, is there any performance difference? I'm not sure I prefer this look.

Thanks All,

- Zack
same muffler...different tips
Old 01-19-2007, 07:29 AM

You will be able to run the normal muffler with your AE rear lip. I am doing so now, and it clears fine. It's being pulled up a lot more with c-clamps on the hangers also.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by MCE
I don't notice any drawbacks. The exhaust sounds the same, just a deeper burble from the y-pipe. The rest of the muffler and pipes are clean and I didn't want to spring 460 CAN. for a new muffler. Jeez, my Budget y-pipe was around half the price of the OEM muffler.

MCE
I did the same thing. Took it to a custom muffler shop and had them cut out the piece and solder a SS piece in there. No difference. It will work just fine and save you from getting a new catback.

I did this with the my old pathfinder cause I did not know any better. Replaced the whole catback and I regret it ever since. I sold the truck 3 months later.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:34 AM

Good idea

Originally Posted by MCE
I had the same problem with my 01 AE. This is a weak spot for rust out at the flange. Instead of replacing muffler have a muffler shop cut out a section on either side of the flange,slide on a piece of stainless pipe and weld it up. I had mine done at Budget and it cost only 40 CAN. Stay away from shops that say it cannot be done or want to install another muffler.

MCE
This is a very good idea. I had the same problem but ended up getting a new muffler. $$$. The original muffler was still in perfect shape. It's rock solid.