5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ebay headers and y-pipe (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 02:05 PM

ebay headers and y-pipe (pic)

I just bought new headers and y-pipe off Ebay for $280 after shipping. Check out my domain site and tell me what you think
Old 04-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Play with my balls

those are supposedly no good for our cars
Old 04-28-2005, 02:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

that is what everyone says, but im not sure if anyone has ever tested them. it would be cool of you to do a dyno before you install and after, and see what kinda gains you get.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:24 PM
Unsuccesful STL Coordinator

Headers for $280. Best of luck!
Old 04-28-2005, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Epacy
that is a good point. just keep in mind that the hotshot headers, and cattman headers, both cost over $600. that means tons of research and development went into those. these ones that are less than $300 are not designed to achieve nearly the same gains as those 2. its not to say that you will gain NOTHING, but i dont think they will be as significant. sound should improve too, but the gains you see from these will not be as impressive as HS or Cattman. Im sure you will get a gain, but i predict it will be the same gains as a Cattman Y pipe.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Epacy
Old 04-28-2005, 02:32 PM

they look similar to the stillen headers which, if i'm not mistaken, lost power on the dyno...
Old 04-28-2005, 02:37 PM
dot dot dot ...

Do a before and after dyno ... and good luck with the install. bigdo .. are you ever going to get headers, or even jsut a y-pipe? I'd like to see another automatic in the 13's
Old 04-28-2005, 03:08 PM

Well they look good! I'll hope for the best, $300.00 was burning a hole in my pocket and I thought what the hell. has anybody actually used these. Am I going to be the first cheap *** to try them. I'll be sure to do a before and after dyno. Oh ya and install, NO problem, I manage a auto shop and my mechanics will be happy to do it for me.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:08 PM

im just bought hotshot headers so ill be another auto maxi in 13s hehe
Old 04-28-2005, 03:16 PM
dot dot dot ...

I'll be shortly behind I hope ... More like high 14's up here though.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:21 PM

youd be suprised how some of the ebay pipes and stuff actually work well.. my frend got and up and downpipe for his WRX cost him only 250.. compared to the HKS and such which were wayyy more expensive.. the quality of the pipes were damn good.. welds are strong and everything bolted up nicely..

definitly take pics after the install.. i doubt those headers would fit a 5.5 gen.. hmm
Old 04-28-2005, 03:28 PM
faster than you think

you will have to change your flex section soon. i had there y-pipe which shown onyour picture.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:28 PM
dot dot dot ...

My headers were made for a 4th gen though ... they fit well.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:38 PM

i wouldn't expect power gains with those headers...

There was a thread about this, the length of each tube on the exhaust manifold is too short and as a result, it won't flow as well as a properly R&D headers
Old 04-28-2005, 03:58 PM

vqpower.com, there was a 4th gen with the vq30de and installed stoneracing headers, said the power felt good. Here is the article:
http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.ph...article&sid=88

edit: woops, didn't know you had a 3.5 so it might be a different story for your engine.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by dizmax96
youd be suprised how some of the ebay pipes and stuff actually work well.. my frend got and up and downpipe for his WRX cost him only 250.. compared to the HKS and such which were wayyy more expensive.. the quality of the pipes were damn good.. welds are strong and everything bolted up nicely..

definitly take pics after the install.. i doubt those headers would fit a 5.5 gen.. hmm

Sure hope they fit! They were advertised for the 3.5...They also had them for the 3.0 also
Old 04-28-2005, 04:12 PM
dot dot dot ...

The Cattmans fit the 3.0 4g and 5.5g so lets see pics when you get them on, and importantly Dyno plots.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:13 PM
Unsuccesful STL Coordinator

Originally Posted by nismo0604
im just bought hotshot headers so ill be another auto maxi in 13s hehe

Great transition in the thread. Just buying those headers will not give you 13's. You are too optimistic.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:15 PM

I put the header's and y-pipe in my car. No dyno as of yet but i'll post when i have done it
Old 04-28-2005, 04:24 PM

how can you tell with no before and after?
Old 04-28-2005, 05:22 PM

All the best with those.... I too, would be interested to see some before and after dynos of your car with those things on...
Old 04-29-2005, 08:18 AM

if they are stone racing, there's a good chance they just copied an existing design and are manufacturing in china, hence the low price. they did the same thing for sr20s, where they copied a 5th gen hotshot design and sold it for about 1/3 the price. I know, I bought one for my b13 a year ago and couldn't be happier with the quality and the hp gains.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:00 PM

good luck with it man
Old 04-29-2005, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by nyautostyle
how can you tell with no before and after?
I had my car already dynoded stock.
173 Hp and 183 Tq.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:23 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Obviously we're a potentially biased source of information on this topic, but in all objectivity, there are a couple of clear issues with this design.

First of all, you NEVER design the manifolds to fit an existing y-pipe design - talk about the tail wagging the dog. You come up with the very best manifold design you can fit into the car and make on a relatively affordable basis, and then you design a y-pipe that will fit between the outlets of those manifolds and the catalytic convertor. This is the "do-it-quick-and-on-the-cheap" pitfall that Stillen fell into.

Second would be the clearly deficient 3-1 collector design - that kind of very abrupt confluence, forcing the gasses very quickly into a much smaller volume, just creates turbulence and loses power. Keep in mind that you can make a dyno say anything...

I know that talking about Cattman headers will seem self-serving, but since so many people have been waiting (and may be reading this thread), I'll mention that our new US-based production is all lined up and will be underway soon. The design is currently being upgraded in some useful ways by Tim Richards at Speed Force Racing and we hope to have new 304, TIG-welded Cattman headers within 4-5 weeks. Patience has its rewards!

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-04-2005, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Cattman
Obviously we're a potentially biased source of information on this topic, but in all objectivity, there are a couple of clear issues with this design.

First of all, you NEVER design the manifolds to fit an existing y-pipe design - talk about the tail wagging the dog. You come up with the very best manifold design you can fit into the car and make on a relatively affordable basis, and then you design a y-pipe that will fit between the outlets of those manifolds and the catalytic convertor. This is the "do-it-quick-and-on-the-cheap" pitfall that Stillen fell into.

Second would be the clearly deficient 3-1 collector design - that kind of very abrupt confluence, forcing the gasses very quickly into a much smaller volume, just creates turbulence and loses power. Keep in mind that you can make a dyno say anything...

I know that talking about Cattman headers will seem self-serving, but since so many people have been waiting (and may be reading this thread), I'll mention that our new US-based production is all lined up and will be underway soon. The design is currently being upgraded in some useful ways by Tim Richards at Speed Force Racing and we hope to have new 304, TIG-welded Cattman headers within 4-5 weeks. Patience has its rewards!

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance

Hopefully it will come at a beautiful affordable price!
Old 05-04-2005, 10:41 AM

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Can't wait can't wait can't wait..... i'm getting them..
Old 05-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by DJSCIASCIA

Nobody wishes more than we do that it was possible to sell these for $500/unit, but with the new materials, design changes, and solid "made in the USA" provenance I will be paying more than that making 50 at a time. Most people in this business would think we're crazy to develop and sell a part with this slim of a profit margin, but we won't compromise on quality and that's what it costs to do it right. [I should qualify that by saying that I guess everyone compromises at some point - we won't be making the $1400 headers w/ the $600 3-1 racing collectors that we got a quote for; if anyone's interested, we're happy to do these on a custom order basis.]

We don't have a final $ yet, but I expect to hold the new price within $25 of the old one, despite the fact that we're upgrading to 304 stainless from mild steel, putting in more sophisticated 3-1 collectors, making some proprietary tubing adjustments (don't ask) and putting a nice brushed finish on them (sorry, I can't stand polished stainless).

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-04-2005, 01:45 PM
drag racing is for wussies

1400 dollar headers that make proven HP over HS headers or Cattmans existing headers and I would be down. Provided the headers DO make alot of power. I need something to allow my cams to breathe good at high end with the VIAS intake of the DE-K engine.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:51 PM

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance

I'm glad that someone had actually put some brain power into designing power producing headers...now thats what I call engineering at work!
Stuff like this makes me proud to be an engineer.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:53 PM

well, i have a Cattman catback, strut bar, and Y pipe, and the quality of all of them is awesome. im sure the headers will be nothing less. once i finally get this damn y pipe in right (nissans fault, not cattman), ill see what the gains are like, and what the headers cost...i may have to make the change soon.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:54 PM

Those headers might give you performance but not as much as the Cattman or Hotshots would because of its design. The exhaust won't be as presurized with these headers but it will be terbulant.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:35 PM

I wanna see his before/ after dyno. If anyones looked at the stock manifolds on a 5.5 gen they look Very restrictive and are probably more turbulent than the stone mountain ones. I wouldn't be suprised if he makes quite a bit more power than you guys think he will. I wont get them regardless. More than likely hotshot for me.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:28 PM
dot dot dot ...

There's a threshholf for gains on a 3.5. IMO, if the stone racing units do not show as much gain as the hotshot/cattman then theres where you say y-pipe or Stone?
Old 05-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
1400 dollar headers that make proven HP over HS headers or Cattmans existing headers and I would be down. Provided the headers DO make alot of power. I need something to allow my cams to breathe good at high end with the VIAS intake of the DE-K engine.

Keep in mind that the "law of diminishing return" is very applicable here. Spending 50% more might only increase power by 15%. Pure speculation, but I'd be surprised if the best collectors would add more than 4-5hp to what the headers make already.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-04-2005, 11:51 PM

Cattman headers

Originally Posted by DJSCIASCIA

Thats what im talking about!!! Im Desperate for that one!!
Old 05-05-2005, 04:59 PM

First of all CATTMAN, these headers don't use the existing y pipe design! Other than that my car is at the dyno right now getting my stock results, I should have the new headers and Y-pipe in and dyno'd within a couple weeks. Hopefully for me I get a good gain, but who knows they might not do ****! I guess that we will all know shortly
Old 05-05-2005, 05:02 PM

how does the car sound? vid? :P
Old 05-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by 00SEMAX19
First of all CATTMAN, these headers don't use the existing y pipe design! Other than that my car is at the dyno right now getting my stock results, I should have the new headers and Y-pipe in and dyno'd within a couple weeks. Hopefully for me I get a good gain, but who knows they might not do ****! I guess that we will all know shortly
No need to shout my name, but don't take what I said too literally. When I say its a conventional-design y-pipe, I meant that the three flanges - 2 downpipe and 1 outlet - are in the same positions in 3-dimensional space as the stock y-pipes and all of the performance y-pipes that are made to replace it. To be specific, this is the y-pipe configuration found in all of the 95-98 Maximas and 99/00 Maximas with Federal emissions.

My point was just to say that letting an existing y-pipe design (or something very close to it) determine the configuration of the manifolds in a header system for a Maxima is not the ideal approach and that however effective these turn out to be, they could be better (but I suppose you could say that about anything).

All that said, I guarantee that you'll make power with those because they'll definitely flow better than stock. And in all seriousness, I hope you feel you've gotten your money's worth once everything's measured. I think your $/HP ratio should be pretty good!

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance

Quick Reply: ebay headers and y-pipe (pic)