Go Back   Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Timeslips Members Parts Guide Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read ExperienceUsed CarsGarageVendor Directory
Search

5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Welcome to Maxima.org!
Welcome to Maxima.org,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join Maxima.org today!

Old 04-26-2005, 05:52 AM   #1

PO505 - Idle air control valve replacement

Yesterday I changed my idle air control valve. Quite the job. It is time consuming, but pretty easy. My reason for changing it was because my car wouldn't idle without stallling, and the car's computer put out the code PO505, which calls for an idle air control valve problem. So, I went to Nissan (the only supplier of the part) and bought a new one for $404 Canadian (taxes included).

To start things off, it is located under the throttlebody and very difficult to get to. So, I removed the whole thing. Plus, you get the chance to clean it out well.

Step#1 - remove air box and all pipng leading to throttlebody. You will have to undo one electric connection. You can simply turn to air flow meter upwards and let it sit on the intake manifold without completely removing it.

Step#2 - remove the two coolant lines leading the the idle air control valve, and the two brackets that support other lines that are in the way.

Step#3 - remove the 4 bolts from the throttlebody, and the two electrical connections, and pull it off.

Step #4 - Undo the two throttle cables by pulling them up and sliding them out of the track (should be easily done).

Step #5 - Remove throttlebody.

Step #6 - Replace the idle air control valve (5 screws must be removed), and clean up the throttle body. I had a really hard time getting the screws out for the idle air control valve, so make sure you lube them up before trying to get them out because the screws strip easily.

Step #7 - Reverse order, and replace everything.

Note: No additional parts are needed. No gaskets have to be replaced. The new valve comes with new screws and a new O-ring type gasket.

Hope this helps some one!
ppetruccelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Newbie - Just Registered

Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1
Activity: 1.3%
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%
If you are just trying to clean the IAC Valve, is it necessary to take everything else off as well? Thanks!
ronrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
Newbie - Just Registered

Points: 535, Level: 10 Points: 535, Level: 10 Points: 535, Level: 10
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Idle valve causing short to computer

I read the other day on Edmunds that the IAC valve can short the computer out then having to replace them both at a costly repair, Any one experience this?
A33FORME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #4

Points: 6,460, Level: 52 Points: 6,460, Level: 52 Points: 6,460, Level: 52
Activity: 5.6%
Activity: 5.6% Activity: 5.6% Activity: 5.6%
Quote:
Originally Posted by A33FORME View Post
I read the other day on Edmunds that the IAC valve can short the computer out then having to replace them both at a costly repair, Any one experience this?
There are a number of threads here on the .org that describe this happening but so can a shorted out electric motor mount, it can also short out the ecu

Sig. Rendered By Rochester

Llumar 20% /FSTB /SRI /BPI Stack /*17 Adv. /ATE Slotted Rotors & ATE Pads / 6000k HID Fogs /2x10 Subs & 1000w amp. /Michelin 235/45/17 /Budget B pipe & Vibrant Exhaust /LED Interior Lighting /Chrome Gauge Rings /Viper Security /F&R ES MM & Sub Bushings /Sm Markers /KYB GR2's-S-Techs /Cus block plate-VIAS del /NWP Spacers /Stillen Lip & Rear Valiance

Open to all Connections On LinkedIn

Maxima's FSM's

Owensfamily TSB's

Nissan "How To"
Ghost_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:02 PM   #5

Points: 3,183, Level: 34 Points: 3,183, Level: 34 Points: 3,183, Level: 34
yes this is happening to me right now car is the shop because of a bad IAC... trust me dont wait change that IAC aspa. cleaning the iac is a no no just get a new one fron the stealer $350only..
Tyrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Newbie - Just Registered

Points: 535, Level: 10 Points: 535, Level: 10 Points: 535, Level: 10
Just for information, How many miles on your car, wondering if mine has been done yet and how much will a new computer cost?
A33FORME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:34 AM   #7

Points: 5,022, Level: 45 Points: 5,022, Level: 45 Points: 5,022, Level: 45
Activity: 3.3%
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%
yep I did that mistake, cleaned mine. then about 500miles away from home I had to pick up the in-lwas from O'Hare airport, just as I was getting off the highway on the exit ramp my SES came on and the car started acting funny rpms up and down like crazy... I knew that this was the symptom so I pulled into the Target's parking lot and **** it off... pulled the code and surprise surprise .... I called every single Nissan Dealership in Chicago only one had it stock, the next morning I went to pick it up and back to Targets parking lot, it literally took me 15 min to swap the part and be back on the road... Ohh what a pleasant $300+ surprise was that... especially after replacing all ignition coils and plugs the week before with parts form DaveB
What a great way to start my summer and close to a grand for some parts :bustru n:

murphy's law if it ain't broke don't mess with it.....
L_U_D_I_AMaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #8

Points: 2,651, Level: 31 Points: 2,651, Level: 31 Points: 2,651, Level: 31
Quote:
Just for information, How many miles on your car, wondering if mine has been done yet and how much will a new computer cost?
My friend, almost every 2000-2001 3.0 Maximas will experience this problem. It's a "Must do" fix and before anything else happens just do the bypass coolant to the TB before your IACV kill your ECU.

You can get the piece with a dealership (Expensive as gold) or buy it from one of the many suppliers in the Internet (Courtesy parts, Parts Geek, and many more).

I bought one from Ebay for $120 bucks and it will be arrive today or tomorrow because the damn thing just screwed my car and the idle it's very VERY random.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #9

Points: 3,646, Level: 37 Points: 3,646, Level: 37 Points: 3,646, Level: 37
Activity: 0.3%
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%
Stir-fried ECU

Quote:
I had my car towed to the dealer because the ECU wouldnt recognize the car key as 'legitimate,' They said the ECU was dead. I researched the forum and concluded that the best solution was replace IACV, TPS and air temp sensor.
I sent my ECU out to be rebuilt (via EbaY) and expect they will replace the fried chips.
Wish I'd replaced the IAC as a preventive measure. I only have 200K miles!!
PaulfromOlney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #10

Points: 4,362, Level: 42 Points: 4,362, Level: 42 Points: 4,362, Level: 42
Coolant Bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulfromOlney View Post
I had my car towed to the dealer because the ECU wouldnt recognize the car key as 'legitimate,' They said the ECU was dead. I researched the forum and concluded that the best solution was replace IACV, TPS and air temp sensor.
I sent my ECU out to be rebuilt (via EbaY) and expect they will replace the fried chips.
Wish I'd replaced the IAC as a preventive measure. I only have 200K miles!!
1. Verify IACV has continuity roughly 22ohms on each of the 6 pins
2. Disconnect EC motor mounts
3. Use procedure on page EC-111 (consult II) or EC-116 if you have a probe to program TSP
4. Rekey ECM and Keys (if replacing same part number)
5. Perform Idle relearn
6. Complete IACV/TB coolant bypass
Darkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #11

Points: 5,377, Level: 47 Points: 5,377, Level: 47 Points: 5,377, Level: 47
Activity: 3.8%
Activity: 3.8% Activity: 3.8% Activity: 3.8%
I've read a lot of discussions on this...

I have a 2001 i30 with 81,000 miles on it. Should I replace the IACV as preventative maintenance, or is it too soon?
Old 11-16-2011, 08:59 PM
MaximaOrg
Nissan Maxima

Paid Advertisement