5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Replacing stock catalytic converter and question about ECU codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 04:54 AM

Replacing stock catalytic converter and question about ECU codes

First, let me say I did try a search on the catalytic converter question but everything I found was about aftermarket y pipes.

A few weeks ago the check engine light came on in my wife’s 2000 SE. We had to have some other work done at the time so I asked them to let me know why the engine light was on. They came back to say that it was caused by the catalytic converter, and if the light came back on I would need to have it replaced.

My two part question is. After doing some reading about the Maxima exhaust I found that the car has a few catalytic converters. It sounds like one on the y pipe (I guess kind of like a pre-one) and then a second one (I guess the real one) before the muffler. How do I know for sure what one to replace? If I got the actual error code would that tell me, and if so how do I get the error code? Could I rent a tool that would spit out the code from an auto store? And the second part of the question is, what is it going to cost for a new stock (or similar) catalytic converter? We are not looking for any performance gains. We just want the car to run right and have the engine light shut off. If their was an after market catalytic converter that passed emissions we would not be against it.

Thanks for any help

John
Old 05-23-2005, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by john893
First, let me say I did try a search on the catalytic converter question but everything I found was about aftermarket y pipes.

A few weeks ago the check engine light came on in my wife’s 2000 SE. We had to have some other work done at the time so I asked them to let me know why the engine light was on. They came back to say that it was caused by the catalytic converter, and if the light came back on I would need to have it replaced.

My two part question is. After doing some reading about the Maxima exhaust I found that the car has a few catalytic converters. It sounds like one on the y pipe (I guess kind of like a pre-one) and then a second one (I guess the real one) before the muffler. How do I know for sure what one to replace? If I got the actual error code would that tell me, and if so how do I get the error code? Could I rent a tool that would spit out the code from an auto store? And the second part of the question is, what is it going to cost for a new stock (or similar) catalytic converter? We are not looking for any performance gains. We just want the car to run right and have the engine light shut off. If their was an after market catalytic converter that passed emissions we would not be against it.

Thanks for any help

John
You'll need to pull the code. If you get the code P0420 then it's mostlikely your precat. I had that code and changed my main cat and nothing happened. The factory precat costs too much so I ended up just getting and 02 simulator and I haven't had a SES light since. Also you might want to change your main cat anyway. I have a 2000 and my factory cat bolts were rusted and a bit** to get off. Actually the whole thing pretty much was rusted. I was suprised seeing that my car isn't that old..
Old 05-23-2005, 01:07 PM

Simulator

Originally Posted by y2KAOSMax
You'll need to pull the code. If you get the code P0420 then it's mostlikely your precat. I had that code and changed my main cat and nothing happened. The factory precat costs too much so I ended up just getting and 02 simulator and I haven't had a SES light since. Also you might want to change your main cat anyway. I have a 2000 and my factory cat bolts were rusted and a bit** to get off. Actually the whole thing pretty much was rusted. I was suprised seeing that my car isn't that old..
I just got the P0430 error again. I got it about 2 years ago and I got it reflashed. This weekend it cam eback on.

I just replaced my MAF about 1 month ago. Do you think I need to get it reflashed again?

Or do you think I should just install the O2 simulator you spoke about above?

I live in Massachusetts and they are very strict with Inspections meaning if you throwing a CEL Code you fail no matter what. Will the O2 Simuilator still cause me to throw codes? I just don't want to fail!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben
Old 05-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by john893

Thanks for any help

John
Hey dude--the Maximas have 3 cats--two precats and one rear cat. The dealer should tell you what the code is when they pull it. there is a bulletin for the 420 code but it is only for cali spec maxis in 2000 but all in 01--i have a federal spec max and that bulletin does not apply for mine(fortunately i havent got that code yet. the fix is a reprogram if your vehicle qualifies for the bulletin(8yr/80,000 warranty) otherwise your gonna have to replace the front pipe that contains the 2 precats.runs around 600-800 dollars--gonna be more if they install it. Nissan parts get pretty exspensive.

At my dealer we tape the consult print out on the back of the R.O. and we use a computer system so that we type our notes in the R.O.when it is printed out. so that the customer can read what the tech wrote about the vehicle. I do not know how the dealer works that you took your car to, but there should be something that tells you what they did.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I hear ya on the Cats, here in TX they have to work too and we get checked each year. So far at 128K my 2000SE has passed each year but since I now have a NON-Catalytic problem who knows. I searched for my Error Code (P0505) and why that means an ECU replacement and Throttle Body replacement. The dealer said the Throttle Body is "shorting out" the ECU?? Does this make any sense? I thought the P0505 was an Idle Control Valve. It's about a $1700 repair so like the other poster I want to check behind the dealer. Thoughts from anyone? Can I do this myself without special equipment..TIA.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by BennysMAXIMA
I just got the P0430 error again. I got it about 2 years ago and I got it reflashed. This weekend it cam eback on.

I just replaced my MAF about 1 month ago. Do you think I need to get it reflashed again?

Or do you think I should just install the O2 simulator you spoke about above?

I live in Massachusetts and they are very strict with Inspections meaning if you throwing a CEL Code you fail no matter what. Will the O2 Simuilator still cause me to throw codes? I just don't want to fail!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben
The 02 simulator will take care of the code and you won't have the SES light again. I bought mine to pass emissions test also. I had my SES light for a good 2 years, then PA got the emissions test and I failed twice. I got the 02 Simulator. Install was easy and haven't had SES light since. Passed Emissions with flying colors. Car runs fine as it always did. For only $30 its worth it.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:32 AM

The 02 simulator will take care of the code and you won't have the SES light again. I bought mine to pass emissions test also. I had my SES light for a good 2 years, then PA got the emissions test and I failed twice. I got the 02 Simulator. Install was easy and haven't had SES light since. Passed Emissions with flying colors. Car runs fine as it always did. For only $30 its worth it.
Where did you pick up the simulator you are using? Also which one does one replace?

Mine make mention to bank 1 I think!
Old 05-24-2005, 07:02 AM

Bennysmax....are you california emissions and under 80,000 miles? If so, theres a tsb out for your 2k max....which means you can get the front precat and a sensor for free (for P0420) ...I just had this done for free (76k on my cal emissions 00 max)...

Might be the way to go for you...I mean...can't beat free man
Old 05-24-2005, 07:23 AM

Where did you pick up the simulator you are using? Also which one does one replace?

Mine make mention to bank 1 I think!
You can buy them here O2Simulator.com

I have the universal single output version. You'll need the same one. Here's a pic of mine installed.. I used blue electrical tape b/c I couldn't find my black roll. I'm going to fix that when I get a chance.

Old 05-24-2005, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Y2KSilvahSE
Bennysmax....are you california emissions and under 80,000 miles? If so, theres a tsb out for your 2k max....which means you can get the front precat and a sensor for free (for P0420) ...I just had this done for free (76k on my cal emissions 00 max)...

I hear that. I wish I could have got that done. Oh well..
Old 05-24-2005, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Y2KSilvahSE

Yeah I wish I was still under 80K.....I brought it in when I bought if for P0420 and they first told I needed to get my ECU flashed because I had just bought it and that my driving style must have been different must have been diff. than the 1st owner. When I brought it in they told me I needed a new Pre-Cat (IRA Nissan Tewksbury MA) and that I had the newest version already flashed. They next told me the pre-cat wasn't warrantied I even called Nissan and they said the same. Finally after an hour a mechanic came out and said he just found a newer version. They flashed it and all was fine until 2-3 weeks ago when I actually got a P0430.

Now I have 86K and I'm foock'd......This blows!
Old 05-24-2005, 02:39 PM

You can buy them here O2Simulator.com

I have the universal single output version. You'll need the same one. Here's a pic of mine installed.. I used blue electrical tape b/c I couldn't find my black roll. I'm going to fix that when I get a chance.

Thanks!

Would you happen to know if there are any write up on installation? I just don't want to cut/f up anything else in the proces!!
Old 05-24-2005, 04:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When you isntall O2 sensor, what happenes if the dude that does the inspection looks under the hood?? Is he going to fail you?

Also, I got 2000 Max, 103K miles, and got that code a while ago - P0430. Its that big *** cat in the front bank. I also have a leak in the flex section of the y-pipe, and I don't think the car performing as it should. I wonder if thats possible.

I got question for those with Cali emmisions. When you put in your aftermarket y-pipe, did you leave the precat in? Or did yho take it out and used O2 sensors..

Thanks..
Old 05-25-2005, 07:57 AM

Thanks!

Would you happen to know if there are any write up on installation? I just don't want to cut/f up anything else in the proces!!
It's in the how to section. Click Here...

It's pretty easy..

nicks79: I don't think they check under the hood for emissions tests. They just hook up the OBII scanner. You can position the square box so no one can see it if you get paranoid.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:06 AM

Yea i have the Same code on my 00 Max SE....its been on since ive had the car (around 104k) get it flashed of it comes back..... but luckly here in flroida we have no emmissions tests...whew...that ses light is annoying... might as well just cut the whole cat off dont need it anyhow. but i dunno with newer cars, are they more reliant on there cats/computers? and is a y pipe what u replace it with?......
Old 01-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

code 420 for 01 max.

Does anyone still have problems with the code 420? Mine has been on for 2 years now, and I need to go to inspection. I have reset the codes, but they come back within a day or so. Has anyone ever changed the cat? I was told it was the cat in the manifold, meaning I need tochange the manifold for approx. $900 for parts alone. Anyone ever done this?