5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Mossy exhaust system- pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 04:03 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Mossy exhaust system- pictures

Here are the long awaited pictures of the new Mossy exhaust system, I just got it in the mail today. I will be installing it tomorrow and will try to get some sound clips of it sometime this week. Pics on the car should be up tomorrow. Since I took 6 big pictures and Cardomain sometimes doesn't wanna link with the .org please visit my page for pics. Thanx, and if you guys want I can set up a group deal on these.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/574975/13

Enjoy.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:07 PM
retired moderator

jeez...what are those, 4" tips??
Old 03-29-2005, 04:10 PM

that looks awesome! Can't wait to see pics on the car and the sound clips. Keep us posted.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Looks real nice bro Do they make it for 3.5's?
Old 03-29-2005, 04:28 PM

i thought the tips were resonated. i went to oceanside, but the only one they had available was in storage so i couldn't take a look at it. they tried to offer me a deal - $600 ($50 off), hopefully if you can do a gd it'd be cheaper.
can't wait to hear some clips.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:34 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by BeSeenWithGreen
I'd like to know about 3.5 availability too.

I think it would look better with double walled tips, though.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:47 PM

Blackbirdvq has 3.5, he did the swap awhile ago, exhaust looks awsome
Old 03-29-2005, 05:58 PM
Seoul Man

I hope you can do a GD. The pricing listed on their website is around $600, which isn't that low compared to other catback systems. Even though it's heavy, I may still end up going with the cheaper Frankencar exhaust. The Mossy exhaust looks sweet, and it is probably a high quality setup with a nice sound if Mossy's past work is any indication. Still, I like saving money.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:44 PM

I will talk to Greg tomorrow about the group deal, I can't belive no one has yet said anything bout the exhaust looking just like another known brand exhaust for our cars. The tips are 3" big, and the exhaust is a true stainless steel 2.5" piping catback. I woulda installed it already, but I hate laying under the car in the garage. Doing this on a lift tomorrow after work will take me 10 min.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:50 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
I will talk to Greg tomorrow about the group deal, I can't belive no one has yet said anything bout the exhaust looking just like another known brand exhaust for our cars. The tips are 3" big, and the exhaust is a true stainless steel 2.5" piping catback. I woulda installed it already, but I hate laying under the car in the garage. Doing this on a lift tomorrow after work will take me 10 min.
SInce I'm sure since it's Mossy it's good stuff, the only comment I have is that they need to put some better looking tips on it...those look like two coffee cans IMO...

tips like these would look much nicer on it:
Old 03-29-2005, 07:05 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Looks really nice man Also, looks a lot like the Cattman setup doesn't it?
Old 03-29-2005, 07:05 PM

http://maxima.cardomain.com/memberpage/474502/15

No one ever said anything bad bout this exhaust, why is Mossy worse ?
Old 03-29-2005, 07:12 PM
retired moderator

http://maxima.cardomain.com/memberpage/474502/15

No one ever said anything bad bout this exhaust, why is Mossy worse ?
who's saying anything bad about the Mossy or the Cattman? They are both great quality and performance.

But I wouldn't get either simply because of the tips.....

since catbacks have a negligible effect on performance compared to stock (unless engine is heavily modded), the primary considerations are
1. sound

and

2. looks

I haven't heard the mossy, so can't comment on sound. I can say I like the sound that the Frankencar makes (have heard several).

And I don't like the tips on the Mossy or the Cattman...they both look "cheap" compared to the FC....

$500-600 is alot to pay for an extra *maybe* 3-4 hp if you don't like the looks of it. Let's all admit we buy rear sections for the sound and looks, and stop acting like it's a huge performance upgrade.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
SInce I'm sure since it's Mossy it's good stuff, the only comment I have is that they need to put some better looking tips on it...those look like two coffee cans IMO...

tips like these would look much nicer on it:
lol you crazy man, those tips on the mossy/cattman look sweet, just like the Dinan style on BMWs
Mossy= Cattman hehehehehe
also on the 3.5 the exhaust does give a bit more HP then on the 3.0

nice exhuast mike, keep me updated on the GD.......i want the midpipe to complement my axle back
Old 03-29-2005, 07:18 PM

When you are boosted or have quite a bit of mods- headers, cams, tunned ECU (not TS) every little HP counts. FrankenCar has a restrictive rear muffler, and I seriously doubt there are any gains from that exhaust at all. Plus I still have NOT received an Email from them after 3 weeks as to a price on their exhaust system- customer service blows on their part.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:19 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Maximum Performance
lol you crazy man, those tips on the mossy/cattman look sweet, just like the Dinan style on BMWs
Mossy= Cattman hehehehehe

nice exhuast mike, keep me updated on the GD.......i want the midpipe to complement my axle back
yeah ok donkey....I'm crazy because I have my own OPINION about how something LOOKS. I forgot, everyone here are sheep who like things because OTHER people think they're cool.

last I checked, looks are subjective....
Old 03-29-2005, 07:23 PM
retired moderator

When you are boosted or have quite a bit of mods- headers, cams, tunned ECU (not TS) every little HP counts. FrankenCar has a restrictive rear muffler, and I seriously doubt there are any gains from that exhaust at all. Plus I still have NOT received an Email from them after 3 weeks as to a price on their exhaust system- customer service blows on their part.
I'm not going to get into anything about customer service, etc....I was just saying I like the tips on the FC, that's all....

Originally Posted by me
since catbacks have a negligible effect on performance compared to stock (unless engine is heavily modded),
as you can see, I agree with you.....and since my car is not heavily modded (well, at least not the engine), that's why I am sticking with my stock exhaust, since power-to-$$ ratio sucks for aftermarket catbacks compared to other power mods.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the Mossy is a great exhaust in terms of free-flow, quality, etc. All I'm saying is that I don't like the tips. Would it be THAT hard for them to put some tips like the FC on the Mossy??? Seriously.....
Old 03-29-2005, 07:23 PM
Unsuccesful STL Coordinator

I noticed the Cattman lookalike right off the bat-give me a cookie. Anyway, I go like FC's tips better. The only downside I have to Cattman's is the fact that they could have doen more with the tips-double walled. I will be able to tell more when I get it on later this week.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:27 PM

Mossy exhaust is not a copy of a cattman, nor is cattman copy of the mossy... U figure this one out :P
Old 03-29-2005, 07:32 PM

looks pretty hott...love to hear the sound clips...if it sounds as nice as it looks then i'd deff consider it in the future
Old 03-29-2005, 07:46 PM

yeah ok donkey....I'm crazy because I have my own OPINION about how something LOOKS. I forgot, everyone here are sheep who like things because OTHER people think they're cool.

last I checked, looks are subjective....
donkey???? btw name callin is so childish

as to the tips of franken car they are too small, stromung makes a real nice 3" tips the way you like it(resonated) for the sentra....franken should take 3" under consideration
http://www.b15sentra.net/jp/albums/R...0214.sized.jpg
the 2.5 in my OPINION is too small on a car as big as maxima
Old 03-29-2005, 07:53 PM
retired moderator

donkey???? btw name callin is so childish

as to the tips of franken car they are too small, stromung makes a real nice 3" tips the way you like it(resonated) for the sentra....franken should take 3" under consideration
http://www.b15sentra.net/jp/albums/R...0214.sized.jpg
the 2.5 in my OPINION is too small on a car as big as maxima
if you were from this area (and ever listend to a certain radio show), you'd know that "donkey" isn't really name-calling...it's more like saying "buddy" .....my bad...ask Cutlr7 or Soonerfan, I call them "donkey" all the time

.....and I do agree that the FC tips could be a little bit bigger. 3" tips that looked like the fC tips would look very nice on this Mossy (hint, hint)....
Old 03-29-2005, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by BeSeenWithGreen
You mean the VQ35? The catbacks would be the same... since its from the cat, back... unless I'm misunderstanding the question....
Old 03-29-2005, 07:59 PM

Looks good Mike, I like it... although, to me it looks just like the Cattman... I was hoping for something a little different... either way, post some clips when you're done and we can hear how that sounds with your headers....

Btw, I do like the way my Frankencar tips look better too...
Old 03-29-2005, 08:01 PM

.....and I do agree that the FC tips could be a little bit bigger. 3" tips that looked like the fC tips would look very nice on this Mossy (hint, hint)....
Why don't ya fabricate some of your own 3" tips and sell em to Frankencar? Might be able to make some money on the side, donkey...
Old 03-29-2005, 08:01 PM
retired moderator

yeah, those stromung tips look beautiful!

Blackbird, see if Mossy will put a couple of these on their exhaust, then I'll buy it (seriously). Of course, that's pending hearing what they sound like.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:09 PM

yeah, those stromung tips look beautiful!

Blackbird, see if Mossy will put a couple of these on their exhaust, then I'll buy it.
Hmmm.... those do look better than the Frankencar tips... a little beefier...
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Why don't ya fabricate some of your own 3" tips and sell em to Frankencar? Might be able to make some money on the side, donkey...
hey Greddy boy it would cost me a helluva lot more to fabricate tips myself than to have someone else do it.

I actually just sent an email to Stromung to see if they'd sell me a pair of their tips......

if you were from this area (and ever listend to a certain radio show), you'd know that "donkey" isn't really name-calling...it's more like saying "buddy" .....my bad...ask Cutlr7 or Soonerfan, I call them "donkey" all the time
in my area donkey=@$$ or @$$hole lol my bad
and yeah stromung rocks in looks, and they sound very good too, heard a few on sentras and wrxs
Old 03-29-2005, 08:12 PM
retired moderator

in my area donkey=@$$ or @$$hole lol my bad
yeah, that's probably how it started, since they can't say @$$ on the radio...but over the years of this show it kind of turned into more of a "friendly/sarcastic" greeting I suppose....
Old 03-29-2005, 08:13 PM

I will talk to Greg if they can change the tip design to resonated style like Remus or Stromungs. I'm going to see what I can do as far as Group deal goes tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:16 PM

yeah, that's probably how it started, since they can't say @$$ on the radio...but over the years of this show it kind of turned into more of a "friendly/sarcastic" greeting I suppose....
btw you might wanna just call stromung, their website wasnt updated in ages so I dont know how fast they respond
Old 03-29-2005, 08:22 PM

hey Greddy boy it would cost me a helluva lot more to fabricate tips myself than to have someone else do it.

I actually just sent an email to Stromung to see if they'd sell me a pair of their tips......
I just figured you could put something together from Home Depot for $35...
Old 03-29-2005, 08:39 PM
retired moderator

btw you might wanna just call stromung, their website wasnt updated in ages so I dont know how fast they respond
yeah, their website is pretty ghetto...but the email appears to have gone through....

not like I'm in any major rush anyhow....car is on hold for a while...need to work on the house for a few months before any more car modding!
Old 03-29-2005, 10:37 PM

does anyone have any idea as to who is producing those mufflers for mossy? i was told that it was stromungs - supposed to be a very close design to the one they have for sentra. i saw that one and it has those resonated tips. why would they change the style?
Old 03-29-2005, 11:33 PM

I like the exhausts for the noise... vroooom. Plus, the kids down the street stop playing or whatever when I drive by... vroooooom.

Have fun with your new toys.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:34 PM

i love myf rankencar exhaust.. its alittle quiet.. but i got it because of the looks and the price.. i got it for an amazing deal... way cheaper then this one.. but this one looks good too.. i dont really like the tips.. but hey its all good.. cant wait to see pics and sound clips..
Old 03-30-2005, 05:02 AM

So nobody likes the greddy?
Old 03-30-2005, 05:03 AM

amazing deal ? what is that ? I never posted the price I paid for my Mossy.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:52 AM

That looks just like the OBX muffler I had on my Camry. Straight-through design, sounded good. Do you guys have any opinions on OBX mufflers?

Quick Reply: Mossy exhaust system- pictures