5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

cold air intake problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 02:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

cold air intake problems

Ok for my 02 3.5, what cold air intake should i get and what else should i add so that the car passes inspection (emissions)?
Old 02-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by njbferrari
Ok for my 02 3.5, what cold air intake should i get and what else should i add so that the car passes inspection (emissions)?
If ya get any intake... ya won't need anything additional to pass emissions...

As for what intake you should get, get whatever ya think sounds and looks good, cuz there isn't really one that's really "the best"...

Btw, this has been asked many many times before, so go back and read through several pages or do a search and you'll find at least a couple of threads on it...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=368622
Old 02-25-2005, 03:13 PM
Reported

the only "true" CAI is place racing. dont expect to see a jump in hp. you will gain a nice growl though.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
If ya get any intake... ya won't need anything additional to pass emissions...

As for what intake you should get, get whatever ya think sounds and looks good, cuz there isn't really one that's really "the best"...

Btw, this has been asked many many times before, so go back and read through several pages or do a search and you'll find at least a couple of threads on it...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=368622
Sorry about the repetition and thanks for the advice, but I had problems with my sensors with a universal high flow intake (K&N) and now my mech's saying that a CAI would mess up the emissions. Have you ever heard of this and do you think I need an air flow meter?
Old 02-25-2005, 03:31 PM

i might be selling mine. its 2 months old.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maximillus
i might be selling mine. its 2 months old.
Im assuming ur talking bout ur CAI. I mite be interested. What brand, do u hav anything else aftermarket accompanying it to maybe help emissions, and how much?
Old 02-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I also live in NY which just adopted some new policy on emissions and inspection. If there's anyone from NY who could shed some lite on what the deal is with that and the CAI's, it would be appreciated
Old 02-25-2005, 09:57 PM
Cletus

I also live in NY which just adopted some new policy on emissions and inspection. If there's anyone from NY who could shed some lite on what the deal is with that and the CAI's, it would be appreciated
an intake does not change emmisions which is all in the out. you would have to do something to the exhaust to effect emissions
Old 02-26-2005, 06:04 AM

Sorry about the repetition and thanks for the advice, but I had problems with my sensors with a universal high flow intake (K&N) and now my mech's saying that a CAI would mess up the emissions. Have you ever heard of this and do you think I need an air flow meter?
Your MAF could have failed... it happens with over-oiled filters, new filters, even stock filters... what are the symtoms of your sensor "problems"? You might need a new MAF or air flow meter, but ya need to give us more info before we can help ya there.

And once again, the CAI does not affect emissions....
Old 02-26-2005, 06:04 AM
Says.."No mo Maximas for me!"

I live in NYC, and I have had no problem with my Injen which conincidentally may be for sale. Interested?
Old 02-26-2005, 10:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Your MAF could have failed... it happens with over-oiled filters, new filters, even stock filters... what are the symtoms of your sensor "problems"? You might need a new MAF or air flow meter, but ya need to give us more info before we can help ya there.

And once again, the CAI does not affect emissions....
the K&N filter was new, and the sensors were the left, right, and ignition which all went out at the same time, it wasn't the MAF. My mech also said that with the CAI I would need the air flow meter so maybe thats it. I mite also need a new MAF?
Old 02-26-2005, 10:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by max5spd
I live in NYC, and I have had no problem with my Injen which conincidentally may be for sale. Interested?
Have u recently had an inspection? and I may be interested depending on the age and price cuz i can get a new one off my cousin for pretty cheap
Old 02-26-2005, 11:09 AM
Says.."No mo Maximas for me!"

I had it done July of last year. If you can get a brand new one off your cousin pretty cheap, then I would go for that. I, myself, like shiny new toys if I had a choice. You can PM me and we can talk about it, if you like.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:44 PM

Have u recently had an inspection? and I may be interested depending on the age and price cuz i can get a new one off my cousin for pretty cheap

A CAI DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOUR INSPECTION!! my brother is a licenced NY inspector and we went over the new laws... they really dont change that much and they are not as bad as everyone thinks... its just now your car is connected to a computer and it will not let you pass if are throwing certain codes or more than two? codes i think. honestly if you know the mechainic it is very easy to get around the inspection... they do it all the time still... do a temp fix, delete codes, drive for about 10 min, reconnect to computer and blammo you got a sticker! as said before, really the only mod your gonna do to do that might fail you would be headers, y-pipe, or a catt.