5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Subwoofer Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 08:21 PM

Subwoofer Question

alright so i have Stock bose subwoofer in the back of the car along with a 10inch alpine type E sub in a box ... well i ordered another one except i got an 8-inch one. i want to take out old bose subwoofer (stock) cause its blown and replace it with the new Alpine i got.
is this possible?
Old 11-21-2004, 08:55 PM
Got Projectors?

Yeah...but no guarantees as to how it's going to sound in a free-air application. Not to mention you'll need an aftermarket amplifier to power it - don't even think of using the bose amp to supply power.

Honestly, if you already have a 10" in the trunk, just take the bose sub out of the rear deck, say goodbye to the rattles, and enjoy the nice large port you have into the cabin.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:59 PM

that I35 is looking nice.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:13 PM
Curb Rash Repair 100 a wheel

what he said....no alpine subs are good free air....how are you powering your current sub?? this topic has been discussed many times...basically dont do it, one of the best ways to get more bass is to make a box that ports right in the hole.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:41 PM

well i have the seats down all the time in the back and it pumps sound right into the cabin. I am powering with an 250watt amp. not the bose amp.. now the Bose sub is blown so i was gonna just replace it with the new 8 inch.. what are the colors of wire to use or tap into with stock wireing..

(trying to say what colors correspond to Red and Black for a normal sub on the bose sub.)
Old 11-22-2004, 07:22 PM
Got Projectors?

Don't use the bose amp to power the new 8" sub.

And honestly, you're going to regret having spent the money and having put forth the effort.

I put a Kicker 8" sub (designed for Free-Air) in the bose sub location with an aftermarket amplifier and it didn't sound that great at all. There's a reason why it's gone, there's a hole where it used to be, and that I only have my 12" in the trunk now.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:30 PM

alright well i got the sub for 30 dollars on Ebay.. brand new so why should i not just put it in place of the NON WORKING bose sub..? and the effort, its my thanksgiving project to keep me busy rather than pulling my hair out with nothing to do around the house.

But what color wires do i hook up the new sub to.. coresponding to the Bose wire colors.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:38 PM

Really the issue is the ohm rating on the bose amp... Its gonna sound like crap...
Old 11-24-2004, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by mrmj1218
Really the issue is the ohm rating on the bose amp... Its gonna sound like crap...

aren't they something CRAZY like 2 ohms????

They do that on purpose, I swear!

gr
Old 11-24-2004, 02:35 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by I30swimmer
alright well i got the sub for 30 dollars on Ebay.. brand new so why should i not just put it in place of the NON WORKING bose sub..? and the effort, its my thanksgiving project to keep me busy rather than pulling my hair out with nothing to do around the house.

But what color wires do i hook up the new sub to.. coresponding to the Bose wire colors.
You know, you're right. You're seventeen and know everything, and I obviously have no clue as to what I'm talking about.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding the wiring diagrams you're looking for.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:51 PM

alright so i have Stock bose subwoofer in the back of the car along with a 10inch alpine type E sub in a box ... well i ordered another one except i got an 8-inch one. i want to take out old bose subwoofer (stock) cause its blown and replace it with the new Alpine i got.
is this possible?
I wouldn't do it. First of all, if you ordered a 10" and they sent you a 8", I'd just return it and get your $$$ back. Second of all, Speakers that are designed to work in an enclosure do not sound good mounted free air. The suspension design of the speakers are different. They're designed to work in a box for a reason. Not to mention that there may be warantee issues if you install the speaker improperly and end up blowing it. Therefore, get your $$$ back and use that $30 towards getting a speaker that'll be used properly. Also, If you already got a 10" Alpine sub, just get the same one and box it according to spec.....if not, just change out your entire sub-system. Bottom line, don't waste your time and $$$ if you don't have to..........No matter how much free time you have. If you want, fly down here to Hawaii and polish my car or something! LOL
Old 11-24-2004, 02:52 PM

This thread might be better in the Audio Forum. A lot of the people there can pull wiring diagrams in seconds. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:53 PM

hey thanks ***..(metaorbit) i just wanted some help.. i posted this thread after i bought the sub already..

The reason i posted was because i DIDNT HAVE A ****ING CLUE ***.

but i digress can someone check for me and let me know if the Right, left colors for the bose sub are Yellow and Purple..
Old 11-25-2004, 07:38 PM
Got Projectors?

hey thanks ***..(metaorbit) i just wanted some help.. i posted this thread after i bought the sub already..

The reason i posted was because i DIDNT HAVE A ****ING CLUE ***.

but i digress can someone check for me and let me know if the Right, left colors for the bose sub are Yellow and Purple..
Hey, you're welcome dumb***!

Since you have a clue now, why don't you do a "****ING" search.

And even though you'll come back whining about how you don't have access, I imagine the FAQ section in the Audio forum and Google will work wonders.

Have a nice day!
Old 11-25-2004, 07:57 PM

ehh i dont have access... whahhhhhh whahhhhhhh help me please .. help me please... no im just kidding..

for real bro no hard feelings but when you have no reason to post somthing negitive in the first place, when a simple i wouldnt do it because.................. dont post the negitive!

But i figured it out on my own with some searching in the car (taking door panels off and ext). so what ever got the old Bose sub under my drivers seat (internal amp is what blew) and the new sub will be comming in tomorrow or saturday. and i will hook it up to my Amp powering the Alpine!
Old 11-25-2004, 10:31 PM

I don't understand why someone couldn't just help out I30swimmer so he could learn for himself that it won't sound good??? I also don't understand why MetaOrbit had to be such a dikhead about it. Maybe you should let off of the MetaBolic steroids for a while. Just because someone doesn't take your godspoken word for it doesn't mean you have to go on a cyber-roid-rage. Thanks for giving.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by bremner44
cyber-roid-rage
LOL
nice term you just invented
Old 11-26-2004, 11:55 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by bremner44
I don't understand why someone couldn't just help out I30swimmer so he could learn for himself that it won't sound good??? I also don't understand why MetaOrbit had to be such a dikhead about it. Maybe you should let off of the MetaBolic steroids for a while. Just because someone doesn't take your godspoken word for it doesn't mean you have to go on a cyber-roid-rage. Thanks for giving.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
And a happy f***-you-too.

Seriously, if you all want to be pampered and told you're awesome then go back to pre-school.