5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cattman Exhausts???

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 01:49 PM

Cattman Exhausts???

Im looking for an exhaust system for my 01 maxima se anniversary edition. I just need a rear end and found out about Cattman. I never heard of the company before and am wondering if anyone can vouch for them or has any of their products installed. Im wondering if its a reputable company because their systems are priced pretty well.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:56 PM

I am in the same boat as you... looking for a good exhaust system. Cattman looked good, but people said that it made that annoying bwaaaaa sound.

~Wolf
Old 11-13-2004, 02:01 PM

Yea I def dont want it to sound like one of those fart cans u see on honda civics. I checked out stillen, Greddy, and HKS too but I like Cattman's dual exhaust design.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:11 PM

I think that magniflow has a good exhaust... I've seen it on the forums. Has the dual tip as you (and I) like, and it dosn't have that annoying noise and looks almost stock (so places with cop problems don't pull you over every ten seconds and look under your hood.)

Click here to see other forum discussions on cattman exhaust.

Click here to read about Frankencar, another good forum thred on exhaust. I must admit, after listening to the sound bite (in the thred) I am interested in Frankencar.

~Wolf
Old 11-13-2004, 02:12 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by sublimer
Yea I def dont want it to sound like one of those fart cans u see on honda civics. I checked out stillen, Greddy, and HKS too but I like Cattman's dual exhaust design.
You mean dual tip design. HKS is dual tip too but pretty loud. Greddy is a big fartcan. Haven't heard people complain about Cattman
Old 11-13-2004, 02:15 PM

Yea meant dual tip.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

cattman isn't ricey...its not quiet either. your car isn't going to sound like a honda mainly because you have like twice the displacement of one. i have had my cattman catback on for a few months now and still love the sound. it does drone slightly on the highway in my auto though. nothing that a radio wont drown out.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:45 PM

Does anyone have any dyno sheets for the Cattman?
Old 11-13-2004, 03:26 PM

i have the cattman rear and with a stock setup meaning no y-pipe the exhaust is almost silent.....i would also consider the frankencar....im about to complete the exaust with the b-pipe from cattman and also the test pipe....
Old 11-13-2004, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by sublimer
Does anyone have any dyno sheets for the Cattman?
If you're gonna swap out the stock muffler while retaining the stock y-pipe and b-pipe, you're not gonna get any gains... at least nothing noticeable.... so I don't think you're gonna need dyno sheets for a muffler, unless you meant for a Cattman something else.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've had the Cattman on for 4 days now and sounds great. There are lots of kids around with the "autozone fartcans" or cheap mufflers/pipes for that tinny sound. The Cattman has a growl below 3K RPM then over that it sounds like stock. I definitly don't think it sounds tinny or 'honda'esque'
Old 11-14-2004, 06:26 AM
Qmax03

frankencar exhasut rules all.

Old 11-14-2004, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by WOLF 101
I think that magniflow has a good exhaust... I've seen it on the forums. Has the dual tip as you (and I) like, and it dosn't have that annoying noise and looks almost stock (so places with cop problems don't pull you over every ten seconds and look under your hood.)
~Wolf

If you want quiet or no drone.... DO NOT get the Magnaflow. It was the worst sounding system I had setup. It was so loud and obnoxious. The whole neighborhood could hear me leave and coming home. Not my idea of a classy car.

Weather it sounds like a honda or not, if it is too loud, then it is ricey. The only loud cars I want to hear are Corvettes and Camaro SS's. They actually sound that way because they have the power behind it.

I have never heard a cattman, wish I could, but I have the frankencar and it is nice and quiet.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you're just buying the catback, the only thing you are getting is the sound. If you're buying an exhaust just for the sound and won't admit it, then you're just a ricer in denial !!!

The first reason you buy a complete exhaust (headers to muffler) is for the performance improvements, then sound. The same reason you buy an intake, unless you bought that for the sound too. If you can’t afford the header, start with the Y-Pipe. All of your performance will come from the headers and Y-Pipe.

Look for real performance (dyno) data. It's there for Cattman, but I've yet to see anything about Frankencar combined with any header brand.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....attman+headers

I have a Frankencar intake but would never consider Steve's exhaust. It weighs a ton and has muffler that looks like a crazy maze when pulled apart. If you can figure out his concept behind the design, or get him to explain it, I'd love to hear it. Admitedly, it's good looking and sounds nice if you want that "close to stock", with just a little more growl to it, sound. It's also considerably cheaper. That's cool too. There should be alternatives to the best. You get what you pay for.

The serious exhaust players are Cattman, Hotshot (after you get them to fit properly) and Greddy.

Lastly, opinions are like arsholes, everyone has one, and some only have opinions because they have no real experience.

If you want modding advice talk to people who have done it (and can spell).
Old 11-14-2004, 08:15 AM

How difficult is the install of the headers and Y-pipe?
Old 11-14-2004, 08:48 AM

I don't remember exactly, but I also did the UDP and new belts, grounding kit at the same time.

I'm gonna guess about 2.5 - 3 hours if I subtract all the time my buddy and I spent just BSing. That includes welding in new bungs for the rear sensors and adjusting the fit of the Catback. The effort and skill required is right up there with any major mechanical job. The O2 sensor relocation and rewire will take time if you do a quality job.

If you end up using an O2 simulator like I did because i kept throwing the check engine light, you'll need to make sure what wire to tap into because there are no instructions with the simulator.

Unlike the Frankencar, the stock rubber hangers will give the Cattman enough support. FC is so much heavier and the muffler is so much bigger that you need stiffer hangers (http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....frankencar+big post #19) and there might be some that have experienced problems with heat shield interference.

You'll spend a fair amount of time adjusting and tweaking. Do yourself a favor and get new gaskets for the Catback. The gaskets Brian sends are not the best.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:16 AM

are those O2 sensors that u had to relocate for the headers?
Old 11-14-2004, 12:06 PM

yes they have to be relocated. AND after the extensive modding, my car still passes state emission tests.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i got a remus cat-back on mine, it sounds great none of that b/s rice burner from a civic, just nice plain deep tone. i bought mine at autoaccessorystore.com great prices and service.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by TrexMax001
If you're just buying the catback, the only thing you are getting is the sound. If you're buying an exhaust just for the sound and won't admit it, then you're just a ricer in denial !!!

The first reason you buy a complete exhaust (headers to muffler) is for the performance improvements, then sound. The same reason you buy an intake, unless you bought that for the sound too. If you can’t afford the header, start with the Y-Pipe. All of your performance will come from the headers and Y-Pipe.

Look for real performance (dyno) data. It's there for Cattman, but I've yet to see anything about Frankencar combined with any header brand.

I have a Frankencar intake but would never consider Steve's exhaust. It weighs a ton and has muffler that looks like a crazy maze when pulled apart. If you can figure out his concept behind the design, or get him to explain it, I'd love to hear it. Admitedly, it's good looking and sounds nice if you want that "close to stock", with just a little more growl to it, sound. It's also considerably cheaper. That's cool too. There should be alternatives to the best. You get what you pay for.

The serious exhaust players are Cattman, Hotshot (after you get them to fit properly) and Greddy.

Lastly, opinions are like arsholes, everyone has one, and some only have opinions because they have no real experience.

If you want modding advice talk to people who have done it (and can spell).

if you like to contact me at shop@frankencar.com i would be more then happy to explain the exhaust design. It is looks comlicated but there is a reason for the design.

thanks,

-steve
Old 02-08-2005, 05:41 PM

I love mine. I can't wait till this weather clears next month so I can put my headers on. I think this looks good, has just a little rumble and NO COPS! Love it.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:19 PM

Just got Cattman from Brian. Love the sound and the look, and service is top-notch. Whenever I email with a question, I get a detailed response from the owner. The main thing you are paying for from Cattman is great quality. That's the difference between Cattman and Frankencar.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:46 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by Charliejag
Just got Cattman from Brian. Love the sound and the look, and service is top-notch. Whenever I email with a question, I get a detailed response from the owner. The main thing you are paying for from Cattman is great quality. That's the difference between Cattman and Frankencar.
Once again, you are judging from opinions heard from others. People w/ cattman or frankencar are happy. I don't know where you are hearing all these negative comments about frankencar
Old 02-08-2005, 08:11 PM

If you have never owned a Frankencar exhaust or seen one in person, please stop saying Cattman is better... heck you probably just got your Cattman cat-back this afternoon.... if you are hearing negative things from other people, please say who they are and what you've heard. We would like some specifics. Your posts are misleading because your apparent collection of "opinions and evidence" seems suspect and it seems as if you've owned and tested both cat-backs.

Btw, I've said it before and I'll say it again... I OWN A FRANKENCAR CAT-BACK AND ITS AWESOME, and ya know what? So is their service... how about that? I've dealt with Steve AND Scott and haven't had any problems with their service.

Am I being defensive? Maybe. Am I wrong? Most likely not, because this is all based on my experience with them... and the biggest thing is, I've never claimed that my Frankencar is better than a Cattman....
Old 02-08-2005, 09:27 PM
Bigger than Jesus

BOTH Cattman and Frankencar produce quality exhaust components for our cars. You shouldn't make bold statements about a product if you have no hardcore facts to back it up. What is your proof that Frankencar is not good quality? Have you ever owned any of their products?? I agree with you about Cattman's CS. He was very helpful when I had questions about his ypipe and bpipe, and that is why I bought from him. I have both Cattman (y and b pipes) and Frankencar (rear section) products on my car and they are both quality. I am 100% satisifed with both. Enough said.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:29 PM

Cattman or Frankencar...the Frankencar's cheaper..
Old 02-08-2005, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by TrexMax001

uh i wish i have money like you, but im living on cup noodles now. i have enough money to buy just the rear section, now does that make me a ricer? what if i want to buy the y-pipe later? and mind as well enjoy the sound if i cant gain anything from an exhaust.. im looking into cattman or frankencar my self too, frankencar is a little cheaper... so i might go with those.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by chun
uh i wish i have money like you, but im living on cup noodles now. i have enough money to buy just the rear section, now does that make me a ricer? what if i want to buy the y-pipe later? and mind as well enjoy the sound if i cant gain anything from an exhaust..
Dammit Chun... I love cup noodles... can't go wrong with saturated fat, MSG, and sodium...

Anyways... its your money and your car... do what you want and what ya can. I got a cat-back first... a GReddy EVO... that's almost automatic rice qualification right there in some people's eyes... but whatever... I loved the sound and to a certain extent, the look...

Now I have a Cattman y-pipe (can't afford headers) and Frankencar cat-back... life is good... for now...

My point is I did everything piece by piece, whenever the cash came in....
Old 02-08-2005, 10:11 PM

i love my frankencar, catback, i got my y-pipe and high flow cat installed all at once, and noticed a gain in power, and in the cold wether when i start and let it warm up, the sound at idle is so nice. i think it looks a lil classier than the cattman, the catt tips just seem too big and bulky for me.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Dammit Chun... I love cup noodles... can't go wrong with saturated fat, MSG, and sodium...
you dam skippy!! , yeah it shouldnt matter what part you get first, as long as we all have the same idea.. im not gonna sit there and keep saving when i have enuff money to buy just the rear section. and hey, it looks nice too!! my stock exhaust got some rust on it, and frankencar is not rice!!
Old 02-08-2005, 10:58 PM

does anyone have sound clips of the cattman exhaust? I am thinking about buying the cattman or frankencar but I wanna know what one has a better sound. I heard the frankencar exhaust and it sounds nice, but I wanna know about cattman.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ammi
Once again, you are judging from opinions heard from others. People w/ cattman or frankencar are happy. I don't know where you are hearing all these negative comments about frankencar
Actually ive heard more than a few complaints about frankencar shipping and customer service on more than one post. the only negative thing ive ever heard about cattman is people complaining about paying alittle extra.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by lex3015
Actually ive heard more than a few complaints about frankencar shipping and customer service on more than one post. the only negative thing ive ever heard about cattman is people complaining about paying alittle extra.
Not me... see post #24...

I know for a fact that dblrr900 has also had a great experience with Frankencar...
Old 02-10-2005, 12:13 PM

beside a little ratteling, which i fixed with new hangers, my frankencar was perfect,and shipped really fast