5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Will This Be Your Last Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ryans Maxima
My car has had no problems whatsover (03 SE with 36k miles) However it will be my last maxima ever. Maybe since I'm getting older, and just joined the professional world (go accountants!!! Woo hoo!) I kinda want a more refined car, less road noise, smoother ride. I'm not looking for power anymore, just enough power is fine for me. My next car will probably be an ES330 or an avalon.
Haha, joining the professional world does not necessarily mean needing a car with less "road noise" and "smoother rider". Many CFOs and CEOs ride or drive their Harleys or Hummers on weekend

I have been in the professional world for 15 years and thought the Max is not a bad ride or bad buy, although a LS 430 or MB S series would be nice to take clients out. Also, I don't feel safe if I had a leave a $70k car parked on the street. Maybe it just me.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:27 PM

I love my 2K but would not buy the 6th gen.
If I had to buy a car right now it would be the TL (Acura).
Old 11-26-2004, 04:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

last maxima for me for sure.....6th gen is terrible. i will be looking at infiniti next time.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
I love my 2K but would not buy the 6th gen.
If I had to buy a car right now it would be the TL (Acura).

I think I'm done after a 4th and 5th gen, but I WILL run this one into the ground b-4 I trade-up.

The TL is probably my first choice, but it's going to HAVE to have AWD, 300hp, and a TURBO b-4 I pony-up the ca$h!!!

gr
Old 11-27-2004, 08:15 AM
drag racing is for wussies

Honda doesn't turbocharge their cars, they only VTEC them. The new TL can't be AWD, its chassis is designed the way that there is no room for the rear diff or driveshaft. I work at Acura, I'm under those things all the time. New RL with 300HP and AWD feels slower than a TL, the older (02-03) TL Type S where the fastest Acura 4 doors made.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
Honda doesn't turbocharge their cars, they only VTEC them. The new TL can't be AWD, its chassis is designed the way that there is no room for the rear diff or driveshaft. I work at Acura, I'm under those things all the time. New RL with 300HP and AWD feels slower than a TL, the older (02-03) TL Type S where the fastest Acura 4 doors made.

Uh - I WAS joking about the turbo, and I was implying that MAYBE the AWD would "trickle-down" from the RL Platform EVENTUALLY!
I'm tired of overpowered fwd platforms.
When are they going to realize that AWD is the way to go??!!!!
Hell - I'm basically begging for a Subaru!!!!!!!!!
i just CANNOT abide a 4-banger EVER again.

It's all good -- I appreciate the clarification!

Actually -- I still LOVE the 02-03 body style. Better than the newer, frankly!

It was a very close decision for me between the Max and the TL -- in the end, a $5k less difference for the Max won me over. That and, the 6 spds weren't out yet in the TL. Whattya gonna do?!

gr
Old 11-27-2004, 09:11 AM
Seoul Man

Originally Posted by donone
Not no, but HELL NO! Longest case of buyers remorse I ever had! Lasted well over a year. Everytime I read something bad in this forum, it happed to my car. The local devilship is as horrible as you guys from other areas are reporting. This is their flagship??? If this is how much they care about the flagship, they're in deep dodo. I wouldn't touch another Nissan for love or money! I have the super black paint job and it looks like it's 10 older than it is. I believe it's too late for Nissan to pull their heads out of the sand.
Mitsu*****i here I come!
If you're complaining about dealerships... they're all the same, regardless of what brand of car they sell. In fact, around here a few of the Mitsu dealerships are under the same roof as Nissan dealerships.

If you're talking about build quality... well, good luck with Mitsu. Their premium cars like the Evo are very nice, but unless they've changed something drastically within the past year, their "normal" cars are built so poorly lately that it hurts to think about it. Of course, you're probably a performance enthusiast, so I bet you have your eye on an Evo. Those don't have most of the same build quality issues as the other Mitsus.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:13 AM

Can't complain about our Max. Dealership hasn't been too bad, except for their sales tactics, which is an entirely different story. I don't think the 6th gens look that bad, but by the time this one dies they will have at least an 8th gen. maybe a 9th...unless all the Maxima doomsday predictions in this thread hold true. But I really feel the need to have AWD in Minnesota. My next sedan will be AWD. My next vehicle will more than likely be a truck/SUV/ and dare I say possibly an AWD full size van......need something to pull a boat and haul the fam safely in the winter. Anyway...love our Maxima.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:29 AM

I really like my max so far. It has been pretty good with the exception of the tensionor taking a crap on me and the plastic ring that holds the fuel filler in place has broke. I seem to remember 4th gens having a better solid feel to them. I will probably keep my Max for a bit more and then get another 5.5 gen but this time a 6spd! I am at 64k miles and curious to see how long the auto trans will last. Keeping my fingers crossed so far so good. I saw a super clean 2k2 6spd at the same dealer I bought mine from but they seem to be smoking crack and want $19,999 for it!!! It has the Bose but that's about it. Oh yeah it has the moonroof but everything else is standard with cloth but it has 26k miles on it. I am a little upside down on mine and don't feel like taking a hit at this time. Everyone always compliments my Max so I guess that's a good thing.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:36 AM

If I was going to choose something other than a Max it would have to be Evo VIII without that C5 Transport wing out back. Theft and killing myself are my biggest concerns
Old 11-27-2004, 10:47 AM

this'll be my last new maxima, unless the 7th gen is radically different. i may buy another 4th gen again one day, cuz i really loved my 95. If i can have my way when the time comes for a new car I'd like to get an AWD M35 or an M45, or maybe a new Acura RL

hey SEDaveMax, i bought my 2k2 6 speed with leather, bose, moonroof and heated seats & steering wheel for $20,000 almost a year and a half ago with just slightly more than 30,000 miles. it listed for $22,000 though, so if you can get them to budge on their asking price then it may be worth looking into.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:05 AM

I agree with most of the comments brought up by all the members. Im on my second and last max. The things that made me love the max arent really in the new generation and practically everyone is catching up in the horsepower race so max's power is no longer that impressive in 05. I guess we will just wait in anticipation for a 7gen and hope it can bring us back to the light.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by BP2K2Max
this'll be my last new maxima, unless the 7th gen is radically different. i may buy another 4th gen again one day, cuz i really loved my 95. If i can have my way when the time comes for a new car I'd like to get an AWD M35 or an M45, or maybe a new Acura RL

hey SEDaveMax, i bought my 2k2 6 speed with leather, bose, moonroof and heated seats & steering wheel for $20,000 almost a year and a half ago with just slightly more than 30,000 miles. it listed for $22,000 though, so if you can get them to budge on their asking price then it may be worth looking into.
Yeah I'd like to just keep mine and get a 6spd too since it's been pretty good. I can't afford 2 notes right now. Maybe I'll go check it out & take it for a test drive at least. I saw it on Thanksgiving.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:51 PM

I'd love to get another one. I'm on my second one and I love it. I hate the fact that Nissan isn't remembering it's "4DSC" history that I was a part of with my first Maxima (RIP!) but I love the car. I love what it has and what it can do. As time moves on I might get a 4th gen 5 speed but that's still down the line. I wanted to get a 2K 5-speed but no one had one when I had to get another one so I settled for the 2K automatic. I'm not dissappointed, it has everything I want but I would have liked to get a maxima witha manual transmission. Maybe there is hope for me still! I hope the 7th gen's are better than the terrible 6th gen's. There is a lot of room for improvement there!
Old 12-01-2004, 11:09 PM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

I love the Maxima. But, I really want rear wheel drive in this car. If they can do that for me I'll keep on buying them.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:31 AM

I had a 5th gen. Now that she died... I am waiting for the price on the 5.5 gens to drop a tad, then get one of those. I dont like the 6th gen at all. What the hell is nissan doing? They should have just called the altima, maxima and kept the car that wasnt their bread and butter car and made that the black sheep. Those idiots. Now their flagship car is sumthing that no1 wants. If I dont drive the 5.5 gen that im going to get to the ground......I would have to see how the 7th gens are... or sumwhere along the lines of g35's
Old 12-02-2004, 06:52 AM

This is my first and definitley the last front driver no matter how good looking the next generation max would be unless nissan make the transition to rwd.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:19 AM

last max, small problems and the dealerships are terrible. Maybe infiniti.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:36 AM
Zog

Probably run this one into the ground, and by that time I'll be able to get in a used next generation m45. The new M concept infiniti is parading around is pretty sweet. Of course the new F-150 is real appealing for work purposes. Who knows.

I'll do like i did with this car and go out and make a decision in one day and live with it because I'm too indecisive.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:06 PM

will this be my last maxima?
i think so, i dont like the way 6th gens look, too damn bulky, i love my max but im not gonna buy the same max, by the time this car is 10 yrs old, id prolly end up getting a Infinity, them M45 looks hot and infinity has quality, i saw inside of a I30, it looka just like the 5th gen except the wood trim and the analog clock. the interier is sweet!! id definately get an infinity, im trying to keep it in the nissan family
Old 12-02-2004, 07:54 PM

hey SEDaveMax, i bought my 2k2 6 speed with leather, bose, moonroof and heated seats & steering wheel for $20,000 almost a year and a half ago with just slightly more than 30,000 miles. it listed for $22,000 though, so if you can get them to budge on their asking price then it may be worth looking into.[/QUOTE]

Well I went and took this car (2k2 6spd w/26k miles) for a test drive today. I must say it's a very tight car. I drove my gf's MX6 GT Turbo and I noticed that the clutch has pretty long travel. I totally love the feel of the 6spd car. It has a total different feel to it, like you're in control. I am affraid to see what they'll give me in on trade. I think that will be the deal breaker. I don't want to get my hopes up and everything.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:52 PM

I really miss rowing the gears... I'm thinking I might get another Max someday when I cant stand the auto anymore, or maybe I'll just find a little RWD car... I test drove a '95 5spd, and it was fun... I don't know, but I miss my manual tranny!!
Old 12-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Like many apparently, I:
1) Intend to drive my 5th gen Max for a long time.
2) Love my car, really love my car.
3) Don't like the look / shape of the 6th gen Max.
4) Particularly like the 2005 Altima 3.5, new 300, last pre-Bangle 5 series, and CTS.
5) Learn a lot from the Org.

Unlike some of us, I
a) Haven't had a problem at the dealership.
b) Don't dislike FWD.
c) Don't want a 3 series.

What was the question again?
Old 12-02-2004, 09:39 PM
Banned

Since this is my 1st maxima, it'll also be my last. Had it been 5 or 6 years ago, and I owned a 4th gen at the time, I could see trading up to a 5th gen, but at this pt in time, I couldn't see trading up to a 6th gen cuz there's too many other cars out there nowadays that catch my interest. After seeing how the 6th gen Maxima came out, I'm not gonna wait to see what the 7th gen looks like. I'll be holding my 03 max for a good 3 or 4 more years b4 selling or trading it up for something else.

Top realistic choices right now:

The new 4-Runner
G35
GS430
or

Possibly something German
A4 or A6
Old 12-03-2004, 07:34 AM

Last Max until maybe next generation or going with infiniti g35. I hate the current gen.'s inside and out, but love my 5th gen.'s styling and reliability.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by zoggfatha
Probably run this one into the ground, and by that time I'll be able to get in a used next generation m45. The new M concept infiniti is parading around is pretty sweet. Of course the new F-150 is real appealing for work purposes. Who knows.

I'll do like i did with this car and go out and make a decision in one day and live with it because I'm too indecisive.
same here, when my maxima has had it im moving on to the 2002 m45, i love those cars.

u see the new one they wanna make? its a nissan though.

Concept Nissan Fuga - This large sedan is a prototype for the next Infiniti M45, although many of the excessive stylistic touches are not expected to make it to production
Old 12-03-2004, 04:49 PM

definitelly my last maxima ever........

i'd take a g35 or TL any given day

although i gotta wonder if i'd ever buy a nissan again, dealer was the worst ever.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:42 PM
What we have here is a failure to communicate

Yeah this will be my last for sure.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by nyautostyle
same here, when my maxima has had it im moving on to the 2002 m45, i love those cars.

u see the new one they wanna make? its a nissan though.

Concept Nissan Fuga - This large sedan is a prototype for the next Infiniti M45, although many of the excessive stylistic touches are not expected to make it to production
i like it. this is the next incarnation of the m45 coming out in 05 as an 06 model. http://www.infiniti.com/content/0,57...-52321,00.html. i like how they have an M35, kinda like the series with rwd or optional awd, and then the m45. expensive little bastards though, a fully loaded awd v6 is just slightly cheaper than a loaded M45.

Originally Posted by SEDaveMax
Well I went and took this car (2k2 6spd w/26k miles) for a test drive today. I must say it's a very tight car. I drove my gf's MX6 GT Turbo and I noticed that the clutch has pretty long travel. I totally love the feel of the 6spd car. It has a total different feel to it, like you're in control. I am affraid to see what they'll give me in on trade. I think that will be the deal breaker. I don't want to get my hopes up and everything.
yeah the difference between auto maxima's and standards is night and day. i test drove an auto before getting my car. it wasn't nearly as thrilling as the 6 speed. good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:55 AM

Yes it was my last Maxima.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by MAXINXS
Yes it was my last Maxima.
Very nice.... how is the STI? Ya lucky bastard.... what a sweet car...
Old 12-04-2004, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Very nice.... how is the STI? Ya lucky bastard.... what a sweet car...
It is absolutely sweet! I love the turbo. $1500 in mods and I'm running high 12's. How's the Max?
Old 12-04-2004, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by MAXINXS
It is absolutely sweet! I love the turbo. $1500 in mods and I'm running high 12's. How's the Max?
Haha... how do ya think? Its not gonna be quite so easy getting a Max into the high 12s... although, you knew that that's why ya got the STi... have fun man!
Old 12-04-2004, 07:48 PM
6yrs old=36,500 miles :)

he had to get the mods to beat me
Old 12-04-2004, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by harmbone2k2
Hahaha.... awesome... I like your set-up man... wish I had the time and money for headers... but I'm just gonna try to be content with my y-pipe and other basics for now...
Old 12-04-2004, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by harmbone2k2
C'mon Colin, you know Maximas are slow!
Old 12-06-2004, 03:26 PM

Probably going to an STI also, after winter. MAXINXS; are they still only sold with summer tires? I switch between summer and snow tires on my Maxima now, and I am really getting tired of it. Also, how is the 6-speed and drive train selector? I hear it getting mixed reviews.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I love my Max as much as the next guy, but went car shopping last week. Can you believe that an '03 SE with 17K is only worth about $15K on trade? Good car, lousy resale. Thanks Nissan!
Old 12-08-2004, 08:52 AM

Wow...

What is amazing to me is that nearly everyone here is agreed that future Maximas aren't even an option. Just a quick scan showed me that more than a few of us are contemplating a move that was once taboo... Acuras

Granted, most of us are hardcore enthusiest and the hardest to please. I myself have been contemplating a new sports sedan and find the pickings in the 25k-30k much different than a few years ago. I never would have considered a Subaru last year, didn't think the Acuras (TL) would get a 6spd, and figured the Maxima would have AWD by now.

The bottom line is that while I am seriously considering a 2k3 Maxy, I would get one any newer and may leave the brand entirely.

How quickly things change...
Old 12-08-2004, 10:00 AM

this is mos definitely my first and last maxima, i have a lot of reasons even though the 5.5 gen is hands down the best one

Quick Reply: Will This Be Your Last Maxima?