5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

H&R 15mm and 20mm spacers

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 02:52 PM
Maxima Pilot

Originally Posted by Lumbee1
Galo, I am running G35 Coupe wheels 30mm offset with no spacers. I just posted the pic to show what 30mm (whether its rim or rim+spacers) would look like.
I cant find the pic but......30mm offset with zero spacers should look fine indeed....
Old 09-20-2004, 05:42 PM
ignotum per ignotius

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Thanks...I knew about the wheel bearing issue, but not the hydroplaning. I do see water out here, but not often enough for me to worry.

I'm more concerned about understeer/oversteer being changed by ONLY pushing the rears out.
Because of added track width to the rear only, and the extra, although very minimal, leverage it places against the suspension components, in theory, roll resistance in the rear could be marginally reduced, causing increased understeer. But it is probably such a tiny effect, that it shouldn't even be considered. IMHO
Old 09-20-2004, 07:45 PM

Will it cause any problems if I have the longer studs installed now on stock 17's and wait until next Spring to put on the spacers with my new 19's? I will be getting my rotors, pads, & lines replaced in the next 2 weeks and since they have to remove almost everything, I thought I could have the new studs installed at the same time.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:19 PM

Will 20x8.5 wheels with 245/35/20 tires and a 29mm offset fit in the rear???
Old 09-21-2004, 07:36 AM
ignotum per ignotius

Originally Posted by ICULookN
Will it cause any problems if I have the longer studs installed now on stock 17's and wait until next Spring to put on the spacers with my new 19's? I will be getting my rotors, pads, & lines replaced in the next 2 weeks and since they have to remove almost everything, I thought I could have the new studs installed at the same time.
If you ran the longer studs without the spacer installed, you would likely not be able to use the stock lug nuts. Because they are closed on the ends, they would bottom out on the stud, before they tightened down the wheel. If you switched to open ended lug nuts, then you would be able to tighten them down, but they would look like ^ss.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:09 AM
Play with my balls

so let me get this straight guys. the lower the offset on the wheel, the more it will stick out right? a 30mm offset on the wheel would give it a wider stance, and a 40mm offset would give it a more narrow stance, right? i'm looking for wheels right now and the 2 options are 19x8.5 30mm and 19x8.5 40mm........what i would want is the one with the 30mm, so i wouldn't have to use any spacers and it would look perfect, correct? please comment for assistance.

preesh,
p
Old 09-21-2004, 08:36 AM
Maxima Pilot

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
so let me get this straight guys. the lower the offset on the wheel, the more it will stick out right? a 30mm offset on the wheel would give it a wider stance, and a 40mm offset would give it a more narrow stance, right? i'm looking for wheels right now and the 2 options are 19x8.5 30mm and 19x8.5 40mm........what i would want is the one with the 30mm, so i wouldn't have to use any spacers and it would look perfect, correct? please comment for assistance.

preesh,
p
This is now getting real tricky.....

Ideally, if you wanted to counteract the fact that our Maxes's rears look (and are) more tucked-in than the fronts, you would use the 30mm offset wheel in the rear and the 40mm offset in the front.

That would screw up your front-to-back flexibility, hence prolly the best solution is to bet the 40mm offset wheels and get 10-15 mm spacers on the rears....
Old 09-21-2004, 09:02 AM
Play with my balls

hmmmmm, interesting indeed. that's what i'll do then is get the 40mm and do the spacer. so the front doesn't have the same issue i guess, and would be tucked under the front fender perfectly?
Old 09-21-2004, 09:09 AM
Maxima Pilot

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
hmmmmm, interesting indeed. that's what i'll do then is get the 40mm and do the spacer. so the front doesn't have the same issue i guess, and would be tucked under the front fender perfectly?
The front track is definitely higher than the rear track and yes, in stock form, the front wheels definitely 'stick out' more than the rears so anything to push the rears out a bit versus the fronts will make the car more symmetrical.

Now, those specific wheels (19 x 8.5) are pretty large & wide.... would defer to others that have similar wheels to answer questions of fit, rubbing, etc....
Old 09-22-2004, 05:59 PM
Chassis Freak

Galo, I'm very interested in these spacers. (See my thread here http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?p=3226978) I think 12mm would be perfect for my 17x8 +40mm Evos.

I have a 4th gen...it sounds as if the hub diameter and possibly everything else is the same between the 4th and 5th gens. Can you confirm or deny this? Would the rotor flange match the spacer perfectly on a '99 as well?

Where did you have the custom work done? Can you post any pics of the spacers themselves and how they look on the car? I'd be willing to pay $75 apiece if that includes the longer studs. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Galo
Really?? Have you seen mine? Did you touch them? How can you make that statement?

FYI, mine are also hub-centric....exactly 66.2mm inner diameter and a soft interference fit to the hub and 71.98mm OD, also a soft interference fit with my SSRs.

My spacers eliminate the plastic or soft metal hub-centric rings on the wheels proper & replace that with a lip machined to be part of the spacer itself -just like the H&R spacer except that my lip is much thicker & stronger because the OD for that lip is nearly 72mm versus 66.2mm for the H&R spacer's 'lip'.

Instead of the dull grey H&Rs, mine are polished 6061T1 aluminum. They also miked out to be truer than the H&Rs -by a half-thousands of an inch on the face...so much for vaunted German quality....and your opinion
Old 09-23-2004, 08:31 AM
Maxima Pilot

Originally Posted by VQuick
Galo, I'm very interested in these spacers. (See my thread here http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?p=3226978) I think 12mm would be perfect for my 17x8 +40mm Evos.

I have a 4th gen...it sounds as if the hub diameter and possibly everything else is the same between the 4th and 5th gens. Can you confirm or deny this? Would the rotor flange match the spacer perfectly on a '99 as well?

Where did you have the custom work done? Can you post any pics of the spacers themselves and how they look on the car? I'd be willing to pay $75 apiece if that includes the longer studs. Thanks.
Hey, Vee....so.....yes, these will fit a Gen4 perfectly and they were $75 each sans studs for me as well...I'm quoting you the machine shop prices, I dont want to make any money here. LOL!!!

The shop was a local, small -and highly regarded- machine shop here in Tigard, Oregon, 15 mins from my house. They specialize in custom machine/milling work in aluminum for manufacturing companies and also do work for bikes, snowmobiles, four-tracks and other similar toys....it's Morrison Engineering & Manufacturing at (503) 692-4855. Tell them u want the same spacers they built for Jose Galindez - the guy with the black Maxima. No one seems to want a GD so....u may be on your own

Now, the thing for you to check is....do your Evos have a 72mm OD Hub Centric ring? Recall my description of the spacers.....they have the wheel hub centric ring built into them so.....they will fit your wheels only if they use the same 66.2mm ID, 72mm OD hub centric ring as my SSRs....
Old 09-23-2004, 09:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Lumbee, 15mm in the rear couldnt hurt ya .
Old 09-23-2004, 10:22 AM
Chassis Freak

Thanks for all the info, Jose. I may just do that. I don't know of any machine shops around here and the fact that they've already made the exact thing I need (if you are sure 4th and 5th gens are identical in these respects) makes it easy to order.

My Evos came with black rings on the inside. My friend (Broaner) has SSR Comps on his '95 and said they looked exactly the same as the rings on his rims. I won't know for sure until I take a wheel off the car and see what the ring says, of course.

Your description of the spacers makes them sound much better than H&Rs and the offset is right. Let me know if you have pics.

BTW, where did you buy the new studs and how much? Thanks again.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:28 PM
Maxima Pilot

Vee, yes, I am indeed sure the hubs, etc are the same on a Gen4. I dont have pics but I will get some this weekend.

The longer lugs....ohhhh....now you are forcing me to tell, arent you? I re-used the ones that came in with my H&R spacers. I bought 20mm spacers when the 15mm spacers were on national backorder for months, installed them and did not like them for aesthetic reasons....too wide (20mm) and the incorrect OD of the spacers themselves which did not match the brake rotor's diameter at the wheel mounting flange. The H&R spacers are about 3/8" smaller in overall outside diameter than the flange on the brake rotor so the whole assembly looked like crap....the spacers were visibly smaller than the brake rotor and the wheel flange itself -a lousy-looking sandwich of parts.

BTW, I sold the (then lug-less) H&R spacers for 80 bucks.

Any good wheel & tire shop should be able to supply the lugs...they are 14mm diameter X 1.25mm pitch. Get lugs 1/2" longer than your stock lugs.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:05 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Galo, studs, studs. You were confusing me there for a minute. This sounds like a great idea. Getting the studs is no problem and I'm guessing the centering ring that is on the rim isn't a biggy either. Tirerack sends their rims with the required hubcentric rings to match the stock rotor. So, if your SSR's have a centering ring for the stock rotor and the lip on the spacer is identical to stock there should be no issue for my buddy VQuick, correct? Also, you mentioned that the machine shop specializes in aluminum products right? Does that mean that these spacers are alluminum and therefore nice and lightweight?
Old 09-24-2004, 09:40 PM

I might be interested in your spacers...but I dont know my wheels offset! Does that matter? I have been told my OEM caliper is the same distance from the masitaly presidents 18X8 wheel as to the OEM wheel....leading me to believe that the 300zx caliper will not fit beneath my wheel....I was going to get 15mm H&R's for the front only, to clear the wheels fro the caliper. Will having the wheels out 15mm still be hubcentric and will the handling be affected without spacer sont he reas as well? thanks!
Old 09-27-2004, 03:52 PM
Chassis Freak

With 8" rims with a +40mm offset, would I need to roll my rear fenders if I added 12mm or 15mm spacers?

Galo, I started a GD thread asking if anyone else was interested. Got some responses. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?p=3239192

I'll wait a few days and if response doesn't look like it will get to 20 soon (probably won't) then I'll just call up that shop and see if they can ship me out a pair.

One concern I have: today I was inspecting my rotors and how they touch the rims. Despite the front rotors being bigger than the rears, the rotor flanges (I think you know what I'm talking about) in the rear are slightly bigger than those in the front. Now that I noticed it, it bugs me. The front is perfect but the rear flange diameter sticks 1/8" inch or so beyond the rim hub. I assume what is on my car is OEM rotors. Maybe aftermarket rotors wouldn't be like this.

Anyway, since I only want spacers for the rears, I'm now concerned that your spacers won't match the rotor flange so perfectly.... Did you order these custom spacers for just the rear or for all four wheels?
Old 09-27-2004, 09:03 PM
Chassis Freak

OK, I dug out my invoice and it says the centering ring specs are 79.5 - 66.1. So that's 79.5mm OD not 71.98. Do you think I could just tell Morrison that I need 79.5 instead and they could just do it, or is it more complicated?
Old 09-27-2004, 09:28 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Tom, thats the way the rear rotors are on mine as well. It doesn't match up cleanly with the rim as it does in the front. This is an issue that annoys me.

To both of you, it shouldn't matter what the OD of the ring on the rim is. Each manufacturer designs their rim to fit on as many different vehicles as possible without different dimension. This centering ring that is in there has an OD diameter that matches that particular rim and and ID that matches that particular car. Unless I'm really off base(I don't think I am) the outer diameter of the ring has nothing to do with its ability to center on the hub. So, Galo the rings that you've already had machined should fit perfectly on any rotor/hub that has a hubcentric diameter of 66.1. Also, you never answered if they make these things in aluminum. Either way its great to have such a precision spacer as a possibility.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:19 PM
Chassis Freak

Broaner, you're totally right, I wasn't even thinking about that. However, I think Galo had them machine the spacer so that he wouldn't need to use the centering ring at all. Would that make sense? In any case, as long as they're doing custom machine work, you can make it fit the rim without needing the ring at all. But if you want to change rims at all (e.g. switch back to stock rims for the winter like me), it would be best to just have it machined to fit with the ring (66.1/2).

Also, Broaner, he said they were polished 6061T1 aluminum wayyyyyyyy back in the thread.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:26 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Cool. Whoops, I guess I missed that part.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Maxima Pilot

Broaner, you're totally right, I wasn't even thinking about that. However, I think Galo had them machine the spacer so that he wouldn't need to use the centering ring at all. Would that make sense? In any case, as long as they're doing custom machine work, you can make it fit the rim without needing the ring at all. But if you want to change rims at all (e.g. switch back to stock rims for the winter like me), it would be best to just have it machined to fit with the ring (66.1/2).

Also, Broaner, he said they were polished 6061T1 aluminum wayyyyyyyy back in the thread.
Yes, careful and yes.
The first 'yes': yes, i constructed the spacers so that they only fit wheels with 72mm hole -wheels that use a centric ring with a 72mm OD and 66.2mm ID -which is the hub diameter. I had to as a 12mm wide spacer does not have enough material thickness to machine the stock 66.2 lip that mimics the hub.
The second comment 'careful': These things are machined to be a soft interference fit......I guess you could ask Morrison to machine a set with a 79.5mm OD -to match what appears to be the OD of your current centric ring but...I'm sure that Morrison wont guarantee that soft interference fit they achieved with mine because on mine, they actually had the wheel to measure against
The second comment -the second 'yes': yes, they are 6061 aluminum

And guys, I really do hope to get some pics soon, I've just been amazingly busy and I dont have a digicam so.,...I gotta borrow one.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:31 PM
Chassis Freak

Thanks for the update! Eagerly awaiting photos...

About the H&R spacers: do they stick way beyond the rotor flange? If so, I really don't want them...
Old 09-28-2004, 04:41 PM
Maxima Pilot

Thanks for the update! Eagerly awaiting photos...

About the H&R spacers: do they stick way beyond the rotor flange? If so, I really don't want them...

Quite the opposite....on the rear wheels -the only place where I wanted spacers & the only place where I mounted the H&Rs until I got my custom spacers- the H&Rs are actually about a third of an inch -maybe .375"- smaller than the rotor flange.

When I say 'rotor flange' I mean the face of the rotor that the wheels themselves bolt up to....it's maybe six inches or so in diameter? The H&Rs were definitely smaller & looked out of place because of that -they were smaller than both the rotor flange as well as the same flange area of the wheels themselves...
Old 09-28-2004, 04:43 PM
Chassis Freak

I see, thanks. Yeah, that would look bad. Maybe I'll try to find a good machine shop around here so I can let them measure exact dimensions. I'm not sure if 2001 rear rotor flanges are identical to 1999 rear rotor flanges...
Old 09-30-2004, 10:10 AM
Chassis Freak

OK, I'm thinking about getting H&R 15mm spacers for now and then if I really dislike the look I'll look into custom machined spacers next year. I can't stand this narrow rear track any longer.

Galo, thanks SO much for all your help! Still wanna see pics.

BTW anyone have close ups of H&Rs installed? I'd like to see them.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:29 AM
Chassis Freak

It's me again (LOL). www.optauto.com is OUT OF STOCK on the 15mm spacer ($96, good deal).

But look what I just found: http://www.wheeladapter.com/wheel_ad...el_spacers.asp
Old 10-03-2004, 07:45 PM

So can someone please give me some guidance? I want to know what is the ideal setup for my car. I have:

1997 Maxima SE lowered 1.5F/1.3R
18x8 rims with a 40mm offset

Should I get front and rear spacers? Or rear spacers only? What sizes should I get?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:52 PM
Mauja He Mauja

20mm for rear....front should be fine without. if you want you can put on 5mm in the front
Old 10-04-2004, 03:54 AM

what mm do you all think would be necessary to clear 300 zx calipers? Assuming a stock clearance....
Old 10-05-2004, 04:46 PM

If my main interest is in making the rear wheels respective to the rear wells, look the same as the front wheels respective to the front wells, am I correct that that is about a 15mm's, so 15mm in the rear will do?
Old 10-05-2004, 09:17 PM

The main way I did mine was to put the wheel on. Check and see how far out you will want to go with a ruler. I wanted to go out 22mm from stock so i bought a 20mm spacer. Turned out great.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:33 PM

what would be recommended for stock 17's? i want that staggered look on the rims.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:39 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally Posted by 30585
what would be recommended for stock 17's? i want that staggered look on the rims.
check the how-2. there is one you can see how 20mm will look with stock wheels.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:02 PM

http://home.insightbb.com/~davidwhon...cer/spacer.htm

This is the write up i did. If u take a look at the end you will see the difference in stock and 20mm spacers.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:14 AM

and then did the back tires line up with the fronts?
Old 10-06-2004, 05:49 AM
ignotum per ignotius

If you want the front and rear wheels to be as inline as possible, go with the 15mm. The difference in the track width on each side, stock, is ~12.5mm.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:59 PM

now would the 15mm in the back rub with anything? i have a 2k se dropped on tein s-techs, which means 2.3 front and a 1.7 in the back?
Old 10-11-2004, 04:45 AM
Sittin' On Chrome

would these fit a 97 Maxima?
Old 10-11-2004, 07:54 AM
Maxima Pilot

If you are interested in seeing what my spacers look like (and car, and brake kit), go here...

http://www.cardomain.com/id/elgalo

Quick Reply: H&R 15mm and 20mm spacers