5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Calling ALL 5.5 Gens with blown auto trannies

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 05:02 PM

How does it feel when the transmission slips? When accelerating quickly it sounds like a clunk, is this a normal sound when the tranny downshifts? or is it slipping?
Old 09-12-2004, 09:52 PM
drag racing is for wussies

100K miles on my original tranny- rebuild at 67K miles at my own cost by me. I never felt a slipping Nissan tranny to tell ya the truth, and I work at Acura doing trannies all day long. TL-Trans Launchers tend to have the RPSs stay at same RPMs or even raise up between shifts- which would be a shift flare. Banging into gear is actually good for the tranny- less slippage for the clutch packs inside- less wear. I know how some are going to say that the auto is more consistant in the 1/4 mile etc.... 1/4 mile racing is for cars that can't turn. I have always had heavy duty ACT clutches in my Nissans and drive n stop n go traffic, I hate it but I reather repleace a 300 dollar clutch every year than a tranny. I destroy my car and driving record by driving it- ever done a roll on race with a Michigan State Trooper in a GTP and smoke him ? yeah thats exacly the kind of driving I condone, and I aint too proud of it. I cant be even in MI- which sucks.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by SKYRockerr
weight in the trunk.......

how many of you , have subwoofers or boxes in the trunk?

in my 94 maxima, my tranny went dead after 1 year of having 70lbs box in the trunk.

right now, i have a very small 10" 40lbs pound box ..... keeping it light

think weight in the trunk helps escalate the tranny issue?
what if your just a fat person or have an extra passenger all the time? having a sub box in the trunk under 100 lbs shouldnt do anything to the tranny... or so i hope.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:07 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Slipping between 1st and 2nd. Nissan reworked the valve body and replaced a few ball bearings. Shifts quite crisp now even when the car isn't completely warmed up.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:43 AM
I Miss My Maxima

To watch mine, when it performs the 2-3 upshift under any percentage of throttle opening, if it performs the 2-3 at, say, 2000 rpm, the engine will freewheel up to 3500 then 3rd will "catch" with a very harsh thudding-type noise and revs will go back down to normal. That's the "slipping" i am referring to.

Another commonality between these Nissan trannies I see that are having the failure issues is that on most of ours when you go WOT for a passing maneuver, the car will often refuse to downshift for several seconds (engine speed stays constant) then suddenly bang down 2 gears into 2nd and lurch, scaring the hell out of your passengers.

Oh, and there's still the issue of the fact that on cold starts at any revs above 2.5-3k it shifts from 1-2 hard enough to jerk the whole vehicle. "Cold fluid", my ****.

At any rate, I think the transmissions are poorly designed. If I had been able to afford a new Maxima I would have definitely gotten the 6 speed. Nissan claims they designed the new "gate" shifter for 2k2-2k3 to give the driver the ability to manually shift their A/T easier, without having to implement an autostick-type function. IF they're going to do that they should make sure the transmission can take the punishment first.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Not everybody wants a 5/6spd. You can still get plenty of acceleration out of an auto. I think the majority of people like the max, because it has that extra power. There is a reason why they make auto and manual. Not everybody wants the same thing.

I would've loved to have a 5spd, but couldn't seem to find one at a decent price used. Most people who do have manuals are enthusiasts that hang on to their cars for a while.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by paralyse
Another commonality between these Nissan trannies I see that are having the failure issues is that on most of ours when you go WOT for a passing maneuver, the car will often refuse to downshift for several seconds (engine speed stays constant) then suddenly bang down 2 gears into 2nd and lurch, scaring the hell out of your passengers.
Yes, I had this, not as bad as you're describing it though... It is better now after the third drain-n-fill of the tranny with Mobil1 and adding a bottle of Lubegard Red. The tranny still hunts down for the right gear after WOT, but now it does it smoothly.

Originally Posted by paralyse
Oh, and there's still the issue of the fact that on cold starts at any revs above 2.5-3k it shifts from 1-2 hard enough to jerk the whole vehicle. "Cold fluid", my ****.
In mine it is more of a delayed shift... Between 1-2 and accelerating hard, the RPMs go down for about two seconds before the tranny finally gets into gear. It seems to only occur when the fluid is "cold", so I'm ignoring it for now. If the tranny doesn't break before the powertrain warranty has expired, I'm trading it in for a new vehicle after the warranty expires, possibly a new Tacoma V6.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I dont want to trade in my maxima, but i dont want to worry about transmission either.

Mine slips or shifts hard between 1 to 2nd. i drive it very soft to keep the damage to minimum. when i say i mean it takes about 1 to 2 seconds to shift. to my understanding its slipping and i am the kind of person that needs to keep everything mint or its that constant feeling that something is wrong. that imperfect , that ahh i hate this car kinda feeling... :`(

I wish i bought my max brand new so i could of broken it in slow and soft and takencare of it , muh baby :`(
Old 09-13-2004, 03:29 PM

I wish i bought my max brand new so i could of broken it in slow and soft and takencare of it , muh baby :`(
Not that is any relief to your misery but I bought mine new and I have babied my Max like you wouldn't believe and it still happening to mine too... If there are systemic problems with manufacturing or substandard part suppliers involved, no matter how much you baby it, it will soon backstab you anyways when you least expect it...
Old 09-13-2004, 04:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Like a woman, Typical

Max is a biiiitttccchhhhhh*
Old 09-14-2004, 02:40 AM

I dont want to trade in my maxima, but i dont want to worry about transmission either.

Mine slips or shifts hard between 1 to 2nd. i drive it very soft to keep the damage to minimum. when i say i mean it takes about 1 to 2 seconds to shift. to my understanding its slipping and i am the kind of person that needs to keep everything mint or its that constant feeling that something is wrong. that imperfect , that ahh i hate this car kinda feeling... :`(

I don't know that that would have made that much of a difference...Some tranny's just shift crappy. I babied my car and still do all of the time..but that one time a month when i jump on it...I am reminded of what a POS transmission it is. If something is not perfect it bugs the crap out of me too..I know where you are coming from.....