5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Auto-dim mirror install - pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2001, 06:14 PM

I installed an AE auto-dim/compass/temperature mirror today. Here is a link to the pics, which are not explained:
http://www.fourthrock.com/maxima/mirrorinstall/

For anybody who has installed this, can you tell me if I mounted the sensor probe in the proper direction? It seems to display the direction (e.g. North, South, East, etc) as expected, but after re-reading the instructions I may have clipped it on backwards.
Old 04-07-2001, 06:37 PM
RussMaxManiac

I am a bit confused. The AE doesn't have a compass, etc. Only a dim, like my loaded 2001 has.

Originally posted by mdeal
I installed an AE auto-dim/compass/temperature mirror today. Here is a link to the pics, which are not explained:
http://www.fourthrock.com/maxima/mirrorinstall/

For anybody who has installed this, can you tell me if I mounted the sensor probe in the proper direction? It seems to display the direction (e.g. North, South, East, etc) as expected, but after re-reading the instructions I may have clipped it on backwards.

Old 04-07-2001, 06:42 PM

There are several flavors which a dealership sells. One is the compass and temp display.

The AE cars from the factory, I believe, only come with auto-dim.

I already had a temp display with the auto-climate control stuff, but this temperature is always displayed on the mirror when you look up there, along with the direction.
Old 04-07-2001, 09:41 PM

Mdeal, how did you pass the sensor through the firewall?

Your pics are great. It would be great if you could HTMLize it.
Old 04-07-2001, 11:52 PM

Hey mdeal...

Nice install! I noticed you pulled some fuses w/ needle-nose pliers. I'm referring to the 4th to the last picture. If you notice there's a white clip? looking thing just above your pliers. Pull it out. It's a fuse puller/inserter!

Dunno, you may already have known this. But I was so amused when I pulled it out I was like 'Hello! What's this?!?!' I blew a fuse when I rewired my turn signals.
Old 04-08-2001, 01:06 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Wow, you tore your car up. The install looks labor-intensive... was it?
Old 04-08-2001, 07:39 AM

Answers to the questions:

- Mdeal, how did you pass the sensor through the firewall?
I tried sticking a screw driver through the gromet, where the primary harness goes through, but the material would form back quickly. I used a utility knife and cut a small slit. I was able to push the sensor through and pull from inside to get the remainder of the wire through.

- If you notice there's a white clip? looking thing just above your pliers. Pull it out. It's a fuse puller/inserter!
I did not know that was a fuse puller. I already had the pliers out anyway. I always wondered why they didn't put a simple fuse puller in there. Thanks for the tip!

- Labor intensive
I'll say it was involved. I followed the Nissan instructions to a 'T'. The biggest challenge for me, since I had not done it, was remove the wheel well liner and getting the wires through the firewall. Other than that, it wasn't that bad. It took a few hours, but I struggled with those things mentioned and I took pictures along the way. It should be noted I installed the mirror itself the day before even though it was not "hooked up" yet. That took a few minutes as well. Overall, it wasn't bad. It takes patience.

- HTMLisize the pics
Yes, I can do that. I was lazy when I posted them.
Old 04-08-2001, 07:47 AM

It should be noted I installed the mirror itself the day before even though it was not "hooked up" yet. That took a few minutes as well.

Did you remove the original mirror from the windshield yourself or did you bring it to a shop to remove it? The biggest problem with these is when removing the original Rear view mirror you crack a peice of the windshield...

If you took it yourself and did not crack the windshield what technique did you use? I did the install with my friend on his car (a 2000 mitsubishi diamante) and we cracked a peice of his windshield off... its like a 2 ply windshield so a little peice from the inside of it just broke off so he took that peice and just crazy glued it back on... its directly behind the little clip that the mirror attaches to... from inside you dont see it but from the outside u can see it a little when you come up to it. I want to add this mirror as well (the one with just direction, not temp) but i would like to know how u removed the other one.

thanks
-danny
Old 04-08-2001, 08:10 AM

I removed and installed the mirror myself.

I first looked at the mirror in my hand, to see what the internals looked like and how it might clip on. I wanted to get a feel for how the mirror on the windshield was secured.

I used a small screwdriver and pushed in through the opening underneath the mirror until it hit something solid (the clip). I knew it was the clip because I had previously inspected the new mirror.

I applied pressure with the screwdriver, keeping it straight and parallel with the windshield, at the same time sliding the mirror up the windshield with my other hand. The key is keeping everything parallel as to not apply force to the glass.

It took me a few trys and some choice words ( ), but I finally got it off.

Putting the new one on was a matter of positioning it and locking it into place. That took 30 seconds.
Old 04-08-2001, 08:14 AM

I removed and installed the mirror myself.

I first looked at the mirror in my hand, to see what the internals looked like and how it might clip on. I wanted to get a feel for how the mirror on the windshield was secured.

I used a small screwdriver and pushed in through the opening underneath the mirror until it hit something solid (the clip). I knew it was the clip because I had previously inspected the new mirror.

I applied pressure with the screwdriver, keeping it straight and parallel with the windshield, at the same time sliding the mirror up the windshield with my other hand. The key is keeping everything parallel as to not apply force to the glass.

It took me a few trys and some choice words ( ), but I finally got it off.

Putting the new one on was a matter of positioning it and locking it into place. That took 30 seconds.

thanks! when ill be installing it ill try out the same thing.. cause actually we also tried to slide it off and we did notice the clip and we tried to push it out of the way but i guess we didnt bend it all the way and when we pulled it just broke the windshield...
Old 04-08-2001, 08:37 AM

Nice pics

Good job with the pics. They really show a lot of details that would be helpful during an install!
Old 04-08-2001, 10:07 PM

I don't know if Nissan is claiming this mirror as their own or what...but that is the mirror I have had on my car for a year and a half. I ordered mine from Donnelley Electronics. This is probably just a dealer installed option because I have even seen this mirror on a Toyota SUV.
Old 04-09-2001, 04:40 AM

It has Donnelly (sp) printed on the back of it.
Old 04-09-2001, 07:13 AM

How much was the mirror?
I have been considering one for my GXE.
Old 05-02-2002, 01:45 PM

Are the Nissan mirrors not made by
Gentex? They make most of the OEM auto dim mirrors for different car makers.
This is the kind I want. Trying to find a cheap place to get the one w/ compass and temp. Anyone know a place?

The others are here.
Old 05-02-2002, 01:51 PM
jjs

Hmmm....

I wonder, since my AE already has the dimming feature, what...if any...additional wiring would be needed to swap out for one with a compass...
Old 05-02-2002, 01:58 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Don't think it really matters, but that IS a Donnelley mirror NOT AE.

A college buddy designed that here in Tucson for Donnelley. Too bad he doesn't work for them anymore, so I could get a hook up.

How much was it, mdeal? Thanks.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:53 AM

psing23 -- WHERE IS THE MONEY YOU OWE ME????????????

Originally posted by psing23

thanks! when ill be installing it ill try out the same thing.. cause actually we also tried to slide it off and we did notice the clip and we tried to push it out of the way but i guess we didnt bend it all the way and when we pulled it just broke the windshield...
psing23... How about finding out where the $55 is that I sent you nearly 2 months ago for the gauge rings you never shipped. I sent you the money and then waited and waited. I finally tracked you down (on another discussion board!!!) only to have you say you decided not to sell them. SO WHERE'S MY MONEY!!!!!!!?????????

Scott Buchanan
6025 Creft Circle
Indian Trail, NC 28079
Old 05-13-2002, 01:52 PM

I purchased the mirror from another maxima.org member. I did not pay full price. I don't know what they cost new and I don't remember what I paid for it back then either.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:46 PM
a33

i have the autodim mirror from the AE for sale
if anyone is interested..
Old 05-13-2002, 05:54 PM

Re: psing23 -- WHERE IS THE MONEY YOU OWE ME????????????

Originally posted by e28fixer

psing23... How about finding out where the $55 is that I sent you nearly 2 months ago for the gauge rings you never shipped. I sent you the money and then waited and waited. I finally tracked you down (on another discussion board!!!) only to have you say you decided not to sell them. SO WHERE'S MY MONEY!!!!!!!?????????

Scott Buchanan
6025 Creft Circle
Indian Trail, NC 28079

i sent it out like 2 weeks ago
i dunno if its lost in the mail
u have the reciept of the money order
why dont u just go to the post office and tell them its lost
ull get refunded... not that hard buddy
Old 05-13-2002, 07:39 PM
lcf

shady...
Old 05-30-2003, 02:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by warrlocked
I don't know if Nissan is claiming this mirror as their own or what...but that is the mirror I have had on my car for a year and a half. I ordered mine from Donnelley Electronics. This is probably just a dealer installed option because I have even seen this mirror on a Toyota SUV.
How much did you pay with shipping and what website/phone number did you use?