5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HELP!!! tranny/dealership problems!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 04:17 PM

HELP!!! tranny/dealership problems!!!!

Hey guys,

My tranny recently went to crap.. i lost 5th gear ont he highway.. and i was leaking tranny fluid.. and my transmission kept grinding gears..and when i was driving there was a sound coming from the front drivers side wheel welll that sounded like i was driving around a shopping cart..like a "tink tink tink squeek" sound..it also has LOW IDLE.. like aroun 250rpm..

now i took it to nissan.. and they said they would cover it under warrenty.. so they todl me it would be a week before they can get the new transmission here...

so i waited.. and i called yesterday.. and they said that.. now it was MY FAULT that the tranny died.

they also said they they would still cover it under warrenty but i would have to pay for a NEW FLYWHEEL (450 bux) and a NEW CLUTCH (250 bux)!!!!..

and if i wanted to dispute the flywheel/clutch claim then i would have to pay for everything.. clutch/flywheel/transmission...

they said.. it was my fault for frying the clutch that my transmission died.. but i don't think i fried my clutch.. it was still catching every gear.. except for 2/3 and the loose 5th gear which only happened the night before i took to the dealer ship..

now they said i broke my fly wheel .. im alittle dumbfounded.. i thought if my clutch and flywheel are as damaged as they say they are.. there was no way my car would catch a gear and drive..??

are they yanking my chain and tryignt o make me pay for everything? or am i truly in the wrong?

what should i do?

anyone else have tranny sproblems with the 5.5 gens?
Old 08-18-2004, 04:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yes they are, call nissan ask the warranty booklet, it tells you , you are covered, under law you are covered.. but if the dealer says its your fault , your ****ed.. you should visit another dealer
Old 08-18-2004, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by SKYRockerr
yes they are, call nissan ask the warranty booklet, it tells you , you are covered, under law you are covered.. but if the dealer says its your fault , your ****ed.. you should visit another dealer

i justy dont understand how they could blame me? i could still shift..e xcept for 5th.. and the rest of the gears worked..

they are saying i abused it.. which i didn't.. honeslty... i drive way to much to really abuse the car..

i think its because they say my intake and exhaust.. sot hey think i abuse it regularly
Old 08-18-2004, 04:51 PM

oh and i cant really visit another dealer with my car.. its on the lift.. there's no transmission in it anymore..

i dont want to wait another 2 weeks for my car to be ready..

i NEED my car..t hats the whole purpose of having a car.. so u can DRIVE IT!

they wouldnt even give me a loaner! so im without a car for 3 weeks..
Old 08-18-2004, 05:01 PM

Call the Bureau of Automotive Repairs. They kick *** and will mediate the case for you.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:31 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by Edward Lee
Call the Bureau of Automotive Repairs. They kick *** and will mediate the case for you.
Got more info on them?
Old 08-18-2004, 07:19 PM
Eat Naaawwwzzzzz

good luck...
Old 08-18-2004, 09:58 PM

anyone know what i should do? should i dispute it?
Old 08-19-2004, 04:05 AM

Call up Nissan North American- and complain about you problem with the dealer. Usually nissan USA will will open up a case ## and approve the repair, if you call them up.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:45 AM
I Miss My Maxima

Clutches aren't covered under any warranty that I know of. Go up to the shop, tell them you want to do a visual inspection. If the clutch discs and pressure plate look ok (no chunks missing out of the lining, no broken springs) then reuse them, but you might be in for a clutch job later.

Yes, a "broken" flywheel can cause a low idle (if a big chunk is out of it) but you would still be able to limp around on it, depending on where the break is and how much material is gone. It wouldn't be advisable as the extra vibration would probably make short work of your rear main seal and your crankshaft.

It's possible something inside the tranny broke and worked its way up to the flywheel/clutch area, or maybe a clutch spring broke and did some damage.

If they can't prove you damaged the transmission or flywheel they are on the hook for warranty.

Clutches are very difficult to get warrantied, they're considered a "wear item" by most manufacturers.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by paralyse
Clutches aren't covered under any warranty that I know of. Go up to the shop, tell them you want to do a visual inspection. If the clutch discs and pressure plate look ok (no chunks missing out of the lining, no broken springs) then reuse them, but you might be in for a clutch job later.

Yes, a "broken" flywheel can cause a low idle (if a big chunk is out of it) but you would still be able to limp around on it, depending on where the break is and how much material is gone. It wouldn't be advisable as the extra vibration would probably make short work of your rear main seal and your crankshaft.

It's possible something inside the tranny broke and worked its way up to the flywheel/clutch area, or maybe a clutch spring broke and did some damage.

If they can't prove you damaged the transmission or flywheel they are on the hook for warranty.

Clutches are very difficult to get warrantied, they're considered a "wear item" by most manufacturers.
I don't mind payign for the clutch.. its the flywheel and transmission im more worried about.
they said there was a HOLE in the flywheel, and it was caused by my "agressive" driving.
the low idle was wierd.. some days it would idle low.. some days it wouldnt.. my dad did an inspection of the parts for me.. since i am about 2 hrs away from my car right now.. and he confirmed that there was a small hole about the size of the tip of his finger missing on the flywheel i believe...

i would rather them pay for the tranny AND the flywheel.. instead of me paying for either.

if i were to complain to Nissan NA, what happens if my transmission were to be found by them to be my fault.. i would still have to pay correct? thats the dilemma right now.. I dont think i should pay for the flyhweel and i KNOW i shouldn't pay for the tranny.. but if i complain.. and they send a rep down to inspect it.. they might swing the dealerships view.. and make me pay for everything.. and i cant afford that
Old 08-19-2004, 10:01 AM

I would just call nissan too.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:20 AM

Well Bro is your choice to take the change, remember something they (NISSAN) are going to send a Insp and that won't happend next day also he works inside NIssan he would say anything to cover Nissan and for sure you'll ended up about 4 weeks without car and a huge Bill.

About if is your fault or not your dealer is standing in the mod in your car..... I know sucks but they never loose.....
Old 08-19-2004, 06:24 PM

bump....... any other opinions?
Old 08-19-2004, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by paralyse

Clutches are covered under the 60k engine drivetrain warranty. Everything in the car is a wear item. The engine wears when you drive it. The brakes wear when you apply them. That is why warranties don't last forever. Nissan expects your engine and drivetrain, including clutch and flywheel, to last at least 60k and that is why they give you a 60k warranty. If your clutch wore out or broke within that time frame then you are covered and should fight for what is right.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:32 AM
I Miss My Maxima

Nissan doesn't cover a darn thing under the 6/60 except engine block and trans. internals or so it would seem. I highly doubt you could plead a case for a warranty clutch replacement at 60k miles.

Brakes are warranted 12/12 by Nissan just like alignments. I'd be very surprised if you can find a manufacturer who will warranty a clutch even up to 12/12, much less 60k. Nissan certainly does not and if you have a documented instance of someone getting a warranty clutch replacement at 60k Id love to see it here so that all the 5 and 6 speed owners can come in for their free clutches.