5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

!HELP! What's WRONG w/this Warpspeed B-pipe I just received?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 07:49 PM
I miss the .org!

!HELP! What's WRONG w/this Warpspeed B-pipe I just received?

I ordered and received my 2.5" resonated mandrel bent B-pipe from Warpspeed over the weekend.

So now I have 2 questions:

1.) Is it supposed to come in two pieces? Kloogy's was all one piece?

2.) Why is there a crushed section? Look at 4 pics in the next post, specifically the section of piping with the black sharpie.. I thought the whole point of getting the aftermarket B-pipe is so that all the piping is the exact same diameter with no crushed sections?

It looks like they test fitted it, used a sharpie to mark a spot that didn't clear the lower brace, and then took off the pipe and crushed it there. It definitely wasn't damaged in shipment.

3.) Now look at the 2 pics in post #5. This is the other piece of the B-pipe. It looks like they used 2 shorter pieces of pipe. One was widened and the other was tucked into it, and then welded together. Shouldn't this piece be made from one long pipe and then mandrel bent?

So for those of you that have this pipe, do you have any/none of these things? Thanks!
Old 06-03-2004, 07:51 PM
I miss the .org!

Old 06-03-2004, 07:52 PM
LithiuMax

Uhh.. that doesn't look good.

Old 06-03-2004, 07:56 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Patrick, send that back. Thats unacceptable. Now that I see the pictures, it looks worse than you described it on the phone. BTW, mine was a one piece B pipe.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:04 PM
I miss the .org!

Old 06-03-2004, 08:08 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Both those pieces are welded on my old WSP B pipe.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:10 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Looks like they sent you a crushed pipe. I say send it back. They probably knew it was defective and sent you that pipe anyways. Have them pay return shipping too.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

that pipe looks like crap... and they use cheap resonators too...
Old 06-03-2004, 11:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've heard the worst reviews on the WS pipe. Even Kloogy said it was a piece of junk. All resonated pipes will be in two pieces. Kloogy had a non resonated pipe. The budget b-pipe connects together by a flange they added, but the WS has to be welded or if I remember right it should come with a clamp for the two pieces.

In general all these aftermarket b-pipes anger me of the crappy quality they are and I think everyone should just buy a complete cat back and then just sell the rear if they're not happy with the sound. Better yet just get the FrankenCar catback since from what I've heard it is extremely quiet. My budget b pipe didn't fit and had to be fabricated by a second shop when I had my cattman y put on. With fabricating the budget b and fixing all the **** the first muffler shop did trying to get the ****ty budget to fit was $140.

This is what my budget b looks like.

Send that **** back and demand a full refund plus the shipping charges back. That is rediculous that they send you that piece of ****. Go buy the budget or better yet the Franken or Cattman B-pipes. I can't guarantee perfect fittment, but it is a hell of a lot better than the one you have now.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:07 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Its funny. I had to have my WSP Catback welded up and adjusted 3 times. My Greddy Catback bolted up in less than 20 minutes......I guess you get what you pay for .
Old 06-04-2004, 03:58 AM

Mine came with that little crush section also, same location. Even though it looks like there is plenty of clearance between the B-pipe and crossmember, they must have felt it needed to be there?
Old 06-04-2004, 04:18 AM

I just installed mine for temporary use till i can save up for the greddy. After looking at mine it didn't have any crushed section or anything else wrong with it. The only thing that pi$$ed me of was the two pieces had to be welded. For future advice to everyone who is thinking of getting this thing, just save up and buy a nice catback because this thing is a mistake
Old 06-04-2004, 06:29 AM

Mine came the same way and it worked for me with no problem. Kloogly is right, you get what you pay for.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:15 AM

After reading all the posts that I could find and asking a couple of questions, I decided not to try to save bucks on my Y-Pipe and B-Pipe. I chose Cattman and I am very pleased with the fit and the quality. No crushes on the B-Pipe (2 pieces with a nice resonator) and great fitment (and customer service). Everything just bolted up. Holes in the flange btwn B-Pipe and rear section (muffler) had to be enlarged slightly. Sorry to hear about your experience. Hope you can get satisfaction. Like everyone says, quality and fitment of Cattman is 1st class. Check GD's for Cattman stuff - currently Y-Pipe, later headers and maybe cattback.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:56 PM
I miss the .org!

Originally Posted by wildmanal

That Budget B looks a million times better! Built in hanger, nicer "looking" resonator, flanges (doesn't need welding), and the curved pipe is bent from 1 piece!

ahaling & chris'smax: Is your pipe resonated or non-resonated, and what diameter?
Old 06-04-2004, 02:02 PM
I miss the .org!

Just spoke to Dallas for about 20min. arguing and going in circles. He said this is how they make ALL their pipes, so an exchange would be pointless. As far as a return, they will refund my purchase price and "make an exception" and not charge me a restocking fee. However, he refused to refund my return s/h costs! This is a huge box, and it's heavy, so I'm guessing it will cost me at least $30...

The reason I'm extremely bothered by this situation is that I spoke with Dallas on the phone before I purchased the pipe. We even discussed all the crushed sections that the stock B-pipe has. He brought it up and explained how this new pipe (w/o crushes) creates better flow, more hp, and better fuel mpg.

I checked out their website, it does say "30% restocking fee" and "Shipping expense is the buyers responsibility in all cases."

Do I have any other options at this point besides either reselling it on EBay or returning it? Either way I have to eat a tank of gas in costs...
Old 06-04-2004, 02:48 PM
LithiuMax

File a claim with the Better Business Bureau, and see if you can sell it on Ebay to cut your losses better. If not, return it and never look for WSP products again.

Old 06-04-2004, 03:13 PM
I miss the .org!

I should've learned my lesson after I bought a WSP Y-pipe and it fit like CRAP too...
Old 06-04-2004, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
I should've learned my lesson after I bought a WSP Y-pipe and it fit like CRAP too...
Actually Patrick when we just spoke you said all you had to do was adjust the hanger on your Y pipe and you said how great it fit, now suddenly it fits like crap. There is a reason we do not pay return shipping, people change their minds wreck their cars and lose their jobs or find an item somewhere else cheaper.

We just do not pay for return or delivery shipping. Just like Stillen, just like Summit, just like Jegs, gee whiz...just like most all real companies.

Our experience is that without the slight relief in the tubing they ratttle because there is insufficient clearance over the crossbrace when 2-1/2" tubing is used Some shim the crossbrace or remove it but we do not suggest doing so.

You paid $20 for delivery, it is not a huge box and it should cost the same to return it. It costs more to ship in one piece so we usually ask, but then the Stillen B pipe is a two piece and it has a clamp as well. We also have a Stillen account so I have no problem saying that.

Patrick, I did not argue, I simply said if you wish to return it, do so and it could have been a 10 second conversation but you kept talking so I politely responded. Even with the relief in the 2000 CA -2003 B pipe the 2-1/2 mpg gain and 12+ hp gain is typical with it just the way we designed it. It was $145 plus shipping, I guess we could put a more expensive resonator on it but it really does not require it.

We put one on the 2002 Maxima of the Nissan dealer that sold us our 2004 Nissan Armada and 2004 350ZR, same gains and he kept his stock muffler. I guess he could have spent $399 -$600 for some of the fancy stainless systems but he did not wish to do so.

If you want an exhange we will send you one but you pay shipping unless it is our mistake. Period.

regards
Dallas
Old 06-04-2004, 04:25 PM
LithiuMax

Meh.. crushing a pipe that you told him was not crushed is your mistake. Period.

Old 06-04-2004, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by LithiuMax
Meh.. crushing a pipe that you told him was not crushed is your mistake. Period.
I have listened to more complaints about rattling and we have flow tested it in both versions. No appreciable difference. No one to my knowledge has ever asked if we put a relief in the cross brace area of the 2-1/2" 2000CA and up B pipes.

regards
Dallas
Old 06-04-2004, 04:47 PM
I Miss My Maxima

Wow, what great customer service!

If we treated our customers with such a ridiculous, standoffish attitude we'd be out of business in a week. Any "real company", as you so smart-assedly put it, would eat $30 to avoid exactly this kind of negative word of mouth on a large forum.

Remind me never to buy anything from this Warpspeed outfit. If I spent $100+ on a banged-up crushed piece of junk that looks like monkeys attacked it with a sledgehammer and had to fork over $30 to send the thing back, I'd be way ****ed off.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:22 PM
I miss the .org!

Originally Posted by bmfjeep
Actually Patrick when we just spoke you said all you had to do was adjust the hanger on your Y pipe and you said how great it fit, now suddenly it fits like crap. There is a reason we do not pay return shipping, people change their minds wreck their cars and lose their jobs or find an item somewhere else cheaper.
Let me be clear then: the WSP Y-pipe fit and still fits poorly. The design is flawed in 2 ways. 1.) It hangs too low which caused severe rattling/vibration. I “fixed” this by lowering the crossmember with washers. It still hangs too low. 2.) The hanger on it was completely off, both vertically and horizontally. I bent it as best I could (not much, it’s steel), and used a long bolt. It doesn’t fit like it should, but at least it works.

But that's not the issue. I used the Y-pipe example to explain that if I had to choose between a crappy pipe or a crappier pipe, I would rather adjust the B-pipe since I can't UNCRUSH the piping.

We just do not pay for return or delivery shipping. Just like Stillen, just like Summit, just like Jegs, gee whiz...just like most all real companies.
Doesn’t matter if you’re Nissan or Joe Blow’s Garage. If a customer gets mislead, then you can expect them to be angry and want a full refund.

Our experience is that without the slight relief in the tubing they ratttle because there is insufficient clearance over the crossbrace when 2-1/2" tubing is used Some shim the crossbrace or remove it but we do not suggest doing so.
Somehow other companies such as Budget and Cattman have solved this issue. They also offer 2.5” tubing and don’t crush the tubing. But I suppose it’s probably cheaper and saves time to make compromises to a flawed design, than to redesign it. You have your design, they have theirs. So what? You described your pipe as having no crushed sections just like theirs--before I paid.

You paid $20 for delivery, it is not a huge box and it should cost the same to return it. It costs more to ship in one piece so we usually ask, but then the Stillen B pipe is a two piece and it has a clamp as well. We also have a Stillen account so I have no problem saying that.
I don’t have a shipping account and don’t ship all the time, so I’m sure it will cost me more than it cost you. But who cares how much it costs? I’d still be unhappy if s/h was $5. Also, the clamp has is simply another thing I’m unhappy about, but has no bearing on the issue at hand.

Patrick, I did not argue, I simply said if you wish to return it, do so and it could have been a 10 second conversation but you kept talking so I politely responded.
Constantly talking over me and cutting me off is a bit rude, isn’t it? Repeating your comments over and over without addressing my issues probably took a little more than 10 seconds.

If you want an exhange we will send you one but you pay shipping unless it is our mistake. Period.
I DO NOT want an exchange for 2 reasons. 1.) You made it very clear that this is how your B-Pipes are designed, so if I exchange I will get another one with the crush as well. 2.) At this point all I’m asking for is a FULL REFUND of my purchase price ($165) AND return shipping (sending me a return label would probably be easiest).

I just want to wash my hands of this situation, and I’m sure you don’t want the negative publicity, even though you discussed how you “didn’t care if 10 or 1000 kids on Maxima.org or Nissan whatever have their opinions.” Sorry to air all this, but you really leave me no choice.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:26 PM
I miss the .org!

I have listened to more complaints about rattling and we have flow tested it in both versions. No appreciable difference. No one to my knowledge has ever asked if we put a relief in the cross brace area of the 2-1/2" 2000CA and up B pipes.

regards
Dallas
Of course I didn't ask that specifically. Who would know to ask that, before reading this thread?

YOU brought up how many crushed sections the stock B-pipe has, and how yours removes ALL those and it's mandrel bent, and saves gas and increases hp, etc...

I hesitate to accuse anyone of lying, but at the very least, I was CLEARLY MISLED.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:37 PM
mjg

send it back;

warp speed is garbage. This is not a myth, i've said it once, and i'll say it again.
warped speed sux.

See brian catts about a real exhaust setup.

p.s; Dallas, you got a thing or two to learn about customer service.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:43 PM

I have listened to more complaints about rattling and we have flow tested it in both versions. No appreciable difference.
Dallas is saying they've flow tested it, whats the big deal? all in all, its just a small displacement 6 cylinder, it isn't going to make a difference.

I've installed both (y-pipes) and would rather have the WSP than the Cattman. IMHO Cattmans flanges bend too easily, and is more difficult to install.

I really dont think there is a way for WSP (or any other company in their position) to make some of you happy, you get a non notched pipe then will ***** about viberations/rubbing, but then they notch it and you gripe about that.

Personally I'd rather have the 2 section pipe. Easier to install and cheaper/easier to ship. You can just use a $0.59 exhaust clamp and it will seal that up with out a problem, or you could have it welded, its not that big of a deal.

Patrick, if you need any help installing it let me know
Old 06-04-2004, 07:33 PM

Patrick:

We do not sell on the forums nor do we settle any customer service issues on the forums.

We don't give in to the "do what I want or I'll post it on the forum" issues. Period! We offered to accept the return.

If there is a legitimate issue we are reasonable, if not....

Anyway Patrick, ship it back and we'll process your refund.

MSJ:

I have actually learned a thing or two about customer service, I have learned that most people are honest and a few are not. Some people you want as a customer, some you don't.

I don't know or care who you are other than just a loudmouth that would not have the guts to say what you do in person. You simply yap away on the forums and trash people, some day you'll run into someone that will take it personal and they'll make a movie about it.

By the way MSJ, thanks to Brian Catts we have a nice paid for business in just 6 years, 5 employees and a new 4,000 sq ft facility which probably won't be big enough shortly. All because Brian did not always have a real exhaust setup. We still get some of his old pipes in for repairs so he's still making money for us.

I did notice he was trying to hawk some of his $400 TIG pipes for $289, reminds me of the old days when they were $450 plus and ours were $200, well heck they still are.

regards
Dallas
Old 06-04-2004, 07:53 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Patrick, call me. I work for Fedex, so I will set the shipping up for ya.....

The facts are Dallas, that your B pipe took me 3 different trips to the Muffler shop, to get it to fit properly. I wont even get into your Y pipe. I have the invoices for the modifications needed , to get it to fit. ON the other hand, my Greddy Evo took less than 30 minutes to slap on, and no fittment issues whatsoever. .. Im just stating the facts.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:52 PM

just make your own exhaust, you'll get a warm sense of accomplishment that way
i dont see what the big deal is about the crush, dallas said it was flow tested and the difference was negligable(seems as though you dont believe him, you go get it flow tested). if you're p*ssing and moaning over a crush that will not be seen and will not affect performance, it is my belief you're dealing with the wrong companies. you cant expect a low-cost alternative to stillen/cattman to be 100% flawless, aesthetically. there is a reason stillen/cattman charge so much.

kloogy, that just sucks about your problems. if there is a fitment issue then thats one thing, but forget the stupid crush!

cant speak on the customer service bit, except when i called warpspeed to ask a question about my subframe connectors, dallas answered my question and gave me his home phone number and said to call if i had any problems/questions while i was installing, that to me is good enough. maybe i'm in the wrong mindset, i guess i dont know what its like to buy and part and expect it to work....i'd rather make it myself (to an extent) and learn a thing or two.
maybe i'm way off base...but ya know? maybe i'm not.
ok i'm done.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:49 PM
I miss the .org!

Patrick:

We do not sell on the forums nor do we settle any customer service issues on the forums.

We don't give in to the "do what I want or I'll post it on the forum" issues. Period! We offered to accept the return.

If there is a legitimate issue we are reasonable, if not....

Anyway Patrick, ship it back and we'll process your refund.
This thread was started to get a second opinion, before I even called you about it. I'm keeping the Maxima community informed of what's going on. I've done nothing besides state what has happened, and how I feel about it and I'll continue expressing my opinion freely. You should expect no less.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:58 PM
I miss the .org!

Moral of the story:

I WAS MISLED. I don't give a **** about the technical specs, flow, cosmetics, or anything else about the pipe. I WAS MISLED. I wouldn't have bought it if Dallas hadn't misled me. Doesn't matter if you're buying a house or a pack of gum. It's WRONG. If that's not a legitimate reason, then you need to look up a word: ETHICS. I WAS MISLED

I'm also an idiot for cheaping out and buying the cheapest priced pipe out there. Unfortuanately the quality and the customer service matched. I've been known to say, "You get what you pay for" so I'm such a dumbazz for not taking my own advice.

I wonder how many other customers Warpspeed misled and pawned sh!tty products off on, to fund Dallas' brand new 350Z and Armada? Congrats
Old 06-04-2004, 10:23 PM
The Definitive AE Master

first things first, i'm sorry to patrick to hear about your problems. I remember discussing this with you in person .....

second, triple8sol's thread is regarding that fact that WSP told him that the b-pipe was mandrel bent with NO crushes. Its the principal that the customer should get a product as described, doesn't matter if it performs the same. Its like if I sold you new rims but when you got it there was a indentation on one of them. It still works the same, nothing is at risk... but I promised a brand new product.

I'm sure this will be resolved quickly. WSP seems to be doing the neccessay steps to refund the part. Lets just leave it at that.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:27 AM

I wonder how many other customers Warpspeed misled and pawned sh!tty products off on, to fund Dallas' brand new 350Z and Armada? Congrats
do you know all the details of warpspeed as a company? how many things have you bought from them? stop making ridiculous judgements. if dallas really is a horribly unethical person then it'll come back to him. why is everyone out to prove a point and teach someone a lesson all the time? when will people learn that you wont be listened to, especially if its a very small amount of complaints that are not very serious (IN MY OPINION), afterall its just a vehicle and a hobby. how many complaints does stillen recieve regarding the plastic idler pulleys from the supercharger kits? what difference does it make?
take your own advice from now on and pay for customer service and nearly the same quality parts.
maybe you were misled, but who are we to judge? the only people who really know are you and dallas so stop trying to convince anyone otherwise. you've stated your opinion and that should be enough.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Larrio
first things first, i'm sorry to patrick to hear about your problems. I remember discussing this with you in person .....

second, triple8sol's thread is regarding that fact that WSP told him that the b-pipe was mandrel bent with NO crushes. Its the principal that the customer should get a product as described, doesn't matter if it performs the same. Its like if I sold you new rims but when you got it there was a indentation on one of them. It still works the same, nothing is at risk... but I promised a brand new product.

I'm sure this will be resolved quickly. WSP seems to be doing the neccessay steps to refund the part. Lets just leave it at that.
its not the same thing as rims. we're talking about an exhaust part that performs the same as an un-crushed pipe but thats only half of the point. the other half is, YOU CANNOT SEE THE CRUSH when its installed. thats like me selling you a set of brand new 6 piston calipers for a big brake kit. on one of the pistons there is a notch cut to reduce rattle because for whatever reason in my experiance w/o the notch there are rattles and squeaks. this notch does nothing except benefit you. the calipers are brand new, perform the same as any other but i modified it to work in all cases because from my experiance its better that way. you will not see the piston and it performs the same. what difference does it make? and no, i didnt mention this to you when you ordered, maybe it slipped my mind, maybe i was trying to mislead you .
Old 06-05-2004, 07:50 AM

That's unacceptable. Take it back and let them replace it.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:33 AM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by MaDMaX024
its not the same thing as rims. we're talking about an exhaust part that performs the same as an un-crushed pipe but thats only half of the point. the other half is, YOU CANNOT SEE THE CRUSH when its installed. thats like me selling you a set of brand new 6 piston calipers for a big brake kit. on one of the pistons there is a notch cut to reduce rattle because for whatever reason in my experiance w/o the notch there are rattles and squeaks. this notch does nothing except benefit you. the calipers are brand new, perform the same as any other but i modified it to work in all cases because from my experiance its better that way. you will not see the piston and it performs the same. what difference does it make? and no, i didnt mention this to you when you ordered, maybe it slipped my mind, maybe i was trying to mislead you .
I believe I was polite in my remarks, I feel that you should do the same. Not really any point for sarcastic remarks or

anyways, what your trying to say is that it doesn't matter what the manufacturer promised as long as the part still works the same and the customer can't see it. But the thing is that if you were selling me a 6 piston caliper and you told me it looked a certain way, as a customer I expect the product to look the way described when I receive the product. The manufacturer has the responsibility to point out any physical differences of his product. If its a no crush b-pipe, then there should be no crush.

if you sold me a brand new 6 piston caliper spankin new from the box, there shouldn't be put up pistons. If I had a rim that was scratched in the back brand new, but I wouldn't see it when I was mounting... I should have been told that when buying the rim.

oh yea, and "it slipped my mind?" You've got to be kidding me. How could a company tell a customer they have no-crush b-pipes without knowing their product.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Larrio
I believe I was polite in my remarks, I feel that you should do the same. Not really any point for sarcastic remarks or

anyways, what your trying to say is that it doesn't matter what the manufacturer promised as long as the part still works the same and the customer can't see it. But the thing is that if you were selling me a 6 piston caliper and you told me it looked a certain way, as a customer I expect the product to look the way described when I receive the product. The manufacturer has the responsibility to point out any physical differences of his product. If its a no crush b-pipe, then there should be no crush.

if you sold me a brand new 6 piston caliper spankin new from the box, there shouldn't be put up pistons. If I had a rim that was scratched in the back brand new, but I wouldn't see it when I was mounting... I should have been told that when buying the rim.

oh yea, and "it slipped my mind?" You've got to be kidding me. How could a company tell a customer they have no-crush b-pipes without knowing their product.
i apologize for being sarcastic.
what i'm saying is as long as the part is still functional and the defect is not obvious if you're worried about how it looks, then it doesnt matter.
honestly, all misleading/descriptions/etc aside, what difference does the crush make? dallas said its presence is to eliminate a rattle. what is so negative?
and why are we so focused on the stupid crush!? i believe triple8 mentioned something about the ypipe not fitting, this is much more of an issue than a crush which cannot be seen and does not affect performance!

as far as a scratch on a rim that wont be seen, the only issue i'd question with that is, if you were under the impression the rims were new and they were scratched could they maybe not be new?

on the "it slipped my mind" part, i cant really say, i just know that you're not speaking with machines when you order these parts and have questions about them, people do make mistakes. i have never heard of anything negative from dallas or warpspeed until now so i cant say for sure if it was a mistake or not. i'd like to think it was and i have no reason to think otherwise.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:24 AM

I have purchased products from WSPD and have found them to work for the purpose that they were intended. There products are made of high quality and are a huge savings compared to other rip off companies charging 2 to 3 times for basically the same product. My conversations with Dallas have always been good and you can actually ask him about there products and since he designs them he can offer good feedback.

I highly doubt that Dallas ever misled you. It is perhaps because you aren't familiar enough with your own vehicle to ask the valid questions with regards to the specific sections of the rear section catback exhaust. Really this is a design that is almost inevitable with 2.5" Mandrel bent pipe with stock hanger and lower support location, and to not have any rattling. I just installed a 2002 y-pipe from wspd yesterday and it fit fine, which was recieved in great condition. It came with all necessary bolts, round crush gaskets even the nissan one for the front cat and a cat support hanger.

This pipe will work and for the amount of money you spent, ~$150 for this you cannot complain about a 1/2" relief that it has. I bought a Greddy for my older maxima for $500 and hated the way it hung down and the ghetto chrome muffler and in the end I would have rather saved $350 and had a custom mandrel or crush bent Bpipe made for my car. There is so much room for mistake in this portion of the car as it all floats on rubber hangers and clearance around the bend/heat shields can be quite inconsistent especially considering how this also greatly effects the way the muffler is positioned.

Trip8, I think you need to find out a better way to handle this situation.
I have dealt with many people from WA state while in the mortgage banking industry, and it has been my experience for the most part, that they are unhappy, unpleasant people. Maybe its because it rains so much there but I say get over it and send it back if you want a refund or get it installed and save your tears and your money for the next mod.

Moral of the story:

I WAS MISLED. I don't give a **** about the technical specs, flow, cosmetics, or anything else about the pipe. I WAS MISLED. I wouldn't have bought it if Dallas hadn't misled me. Doesn't matter if you're buying a house or a pack of gum. It's WRONG. If that's not a legitimate reason, then you need to look up a word: ETHICS. I WAS MISLED

I'm also an idiot for cheaping out and buying the cheapest priced pipe out there. Unfortuanately the quality and the customer service matched. I've been known to say, "You get what you pay for" so I'm such a dumbazz for not taking my own advice.

Old 06-05-2004, 10:55 AM

No one, not even Patrick has ever asked if we add a relief for clearance purposes in the crossbrace area. All that was ever asked is if they are mandrel bent which of course they are.

I costs us to add the relief so why would we try to mislead anyone for something that costs us more in labor to perform. We know it costs more to listen to people that have a rattle problem, I also hate rattles. We tested the flow rates and it did not make an appreciable difference.

It's like I told Patrick, we spend thousands over the last 6 years to test flow rates and hp gains, we attempt to avoid a clearance issue and suddenly we don't know what we are doing but 10 or 10,000 people on the forums whom have not spent the time and money know better?

We told Patrick to return the pipe, we regret he feels misled. We did not promise Patrick anything, nor did Patrick ever ask us to promise anything. We do not feel we have screwed or misled anyone. We don't charge more for adding the relief and we have to pay a charge back to his card company as well as the price of the box and labor to inspect and rebox it. Who is getting screwed??

We do enough local installs to know that unless we ship the wrong part that it will fit. (I have personally shipped the wrong part by accident and regret it.) We do not know the skill level of anyone we ship to except for a few of the org members whom we have worked with at our shops. When someone calls that is having a problem we can usually figure out what they are doing wrong and remedy the situation.

Later guys, we are groundcrew for a hot air balloon tonight and tomorrow. We get to see our Mom take her first balloon flight tomorrow, at 73 it is something she always wanted to do. She still has not driven the 350Z yet, she says the exhaust sound is too quiet.

regards
Dallas
Old 06-05-2004, 12:09 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I don't see how anyone was mislead. The buyer asked if the pipe was mandrel bent and Dallas said no. End of story. That dimple is not a bend point on the pipe and it will cause no ill effects in performance and the modification is a great idea. As for flow, you're talking about maybe a 7% reduction in the pipe. On an NA V6 that doesn't move a lot of air, this isn't going to do squat. How do I know this? I've been witness to a dyno of a 96 GLE with a WSP non-mandrel y-pipe vs the WSP mandrel y-pipe. On the same car, same conditions, and same dyno, the difference at any one point on the dyno was about 1-2hp. No more. These nonmandrel bends are right at the exhaust manifolds where flow is the most critical and truth of the matter is a good nonmandrel pipe flows just as well as the mandrel pipe. When it came time to replace my mandrel Stillen y-pipe with a blown flex section, what did I go with? A nonmandrel WSP y-pipe of course. Thanks to the larger non-mandrel piping, I actually picked up power on the dyno vs the Stillen y-pipe. My WSP pipe went on without a hitch. My only gripe about the WSP pipe or any other 4th gen y-pipe, is that they doesn't have a hanger to mount the pipe to the engine block like the factory y-pipe. Not having this mounting point adds some vibration thru the pedals and shifter. I remedied the problem quite easily. Cattman, Stillen, and Budget don't have this hanger either.

As for B-pipes, I've NEVER found one that has fit good. My first one was a 2.5" stainless Courtesy Nissan B-pipe. The pipe was mandrel and included the dimple the WSP has. I didn't feel cheated because I understood it's purpose. Unfortunately the pipe hit the trailing arm due to the larger piping and the flanges never sealed adequately. I sold that one and got the Stillen nonresonated pipe. This one came in two sections with an exhaust clamp as the connecting unit. No matter how I adjusted the pipe, it two had interference problems with the trailing arms under certain load conditions. I sold that one because I could stand the raspiness. Next I ordered the Budget B-pipe. This was a disappointment. Again, the 2.5" pipe was just too close to the trailing arms plus no matter what I did, the rear flange would not seal to the muffler. I got an exhaust leak with everything I tried. It was disappointing and Budget took the pipe back and I got them to pay shipping because of they're ill fitting parts. In the end I just went with a 2.25" custom made B-pipe with a Magnaflow resonator and even that one required some adjusting on my part to make it fit just right.

Truth of the matter is there isn't a ton of room under the Maxima to work with and when you start cramming 2.5" piping under there, things get really tight. It's also VERY hard to bend the pipes just right to make them fit perfectly. Expect adjustments and expect nothing to fit perfectly the first time when it comes to B-pipe.

I understand where Dallas is coming from and I understand his reasoning. I don't see why he should pay for shipping when the parts he sent aren't damaged or broken. The buyer was unaware that there was a dimple in the pipe for clearance issues, but that doesn't mean WSP has to asborb the all costs because the buyer wasn't clear on what he was looking for. I'm pretty sure you'll find a disclaimer on the WSP site stating that pictured parts don't necessarily reflect what you will receive. Parts are constantly updated and refined and most makers have a disclaimer for this. Bad mouth WSP all you want, but their business is booming and Maximas aren't their main focus. You can't keep everyone happy because there will always be people that expect everything catered to them.

Dave

Quick Reply: !HELP! What's WRONG w/this Warpspeed B-pipe I just received?