5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

The NEW Fuel Filter Writeup Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Qtr

I did everything that was said, but now the car won't start! It gets up to about 500 rpms, sputter, then dies. At one point it was stable idling normally, but I tried giving it some gas and it died, and now it won't idle anymore. I'm sure I followed everything correctly, but I don't now what's wrong. Tomorrow I'm going to take everything out again and see if I did something wrong/forgot something. Are there any common mistakes that people have made that could be the problem?
Old 03-17-2010, 09:36 PM
RR5

Did you put the fuel pump fuse back in? Did you connect the fuel pump to the fuel pump assembly (when you pulled the bottom half, you had to disconnect the electrical connection)? Did you make the connection at the top of the fuel pump cover before bolting the cover on? Then obviously there is the fuel line to connect.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:54 PM

im getting like 13 mpg in the city.. will this help impove my mpg, i got an 03 se, with 102k.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:38 AM

Wow 13? I thought I was bad at 16 City.

I was going to say the same thing about the fuse. Check to see if its blown if you did put it back in. The fuel pump is obviously not getting its power. Might have to pull it out to ensure proper connections. Or maybe the fuel pressure regulator wasnt put on right and came off.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:43 AM

thats me holding me below 2 rpm most of the time, and that's also torcher, cuz thats wen i hear that dam rattling sound.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Qtr

I just took it apart again, and I noticed that I didn't fully connect the new hose line from the filter to the housing. It wasn't fully clipped in, so I'm guessing it wasn't gaining any pressure and that's what caused the car to stall. Silly me
Old 03-19-2010, 06:17 PM

I did the whole procedure, took about 2 hours for me but I'm a complete novice at this stuff. Also, you need a second set of hands to do this, especially with prying off the fuel line on the underside of the housing.

Later I drilled into the old fuel pump strainer and this leaked out.

Last edited by us3rnotfound; 03-19-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:07 AM

I just did this myself. As far as I know it was original to the car 178k miles on it. Would anybody like pictures of the filter if i can get it apart?

Btw follow the directions carefully and do not hurry. I spent 6 hours over two day vainly trying to figure out what i did wrong only to realize that I left the rubber grommet on the old filter. That meant my car wasn't starting because fuel was pumping up and raining back down out of the filter
Old 05-11-2011, 10:47 PM

So I'm about to attempt this because I'm assuming my car's fuel system is blocked. I went to Advanced/Autozone... well they don't carry a fuel "filter", but just a fuel pump and fuel strainer. I was looking at the pictures, and the fuel filter and strainer look nothing alike. Am I missing out on something?
Old 05-12-2011, 01:06 AM
RR5

Have a look on http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...03-c-1956.html for the part. Otherwise, give DaveB a call. There is a thread with Dave's info.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by artemz28
im getting like 13 mpg in the city.. will this help impove my mpg, i got an 03 se, with 102k.

Only 13mpg in the city...
Old 05-13-2011, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:58 AM

I replaced mine today (FINALLY) and yes I do notice a difference. My car has been very sensitive to pinging, lightly, but always under load while accelerating. I have not replaced my knock sensor yet but will if needed. This looked like a simple attempt to see if some of my pinging would go away and to see if I would benefit from replacing it like some others have. Right away I noticed the car really purred, it was running smooth as butter like the VQ it is but much more quiet and smooth after replacement. Better response while accelerating. Most of all so far my pinging is gone. While I did notice it once so far, I was hearing all the time before. I do not always believe what I read and now I can say this did help and is very simple to do. Can't wait to see if my mileage increases at all......
Old 07-12-2011, 09:27 PM

I'm waiting for my new filter to come in from DaveB. I'm a noob at all this stuff but I'm willing to take this job on even though it makes me nervous. My question is, should I have another person there to help me? DaveB mentioned it might be nice to have an extra set of hands.

For the people who have done this, would an extra set of hands help or could I take this on myself? And for those who were nervous to do this, did you find it to be easier than you thought it would? BTW I have an 03 max AT.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:38 AM

lapdog you may be ok by yourself as the write up dosen't say you need an extra person. but eitherway I would def have another person around in the case you do need them for an extra hand it may make things easier.

I am gettin ready to do mine , I bought the filter in april, haven't had a chance yet.

To those who would know, is it ok to have a full tank of gas when you do this? I am thinking its probably better to have a half tank or less. IIRC somewhere it talked about it
Old 07-13-2011, 08:38 AM

^^^

Bro, do it with at least 1/4 tank - it'll be less messier that way. I did mine with less than a 1/4 tank and alot of fuel still spilled/dripped from the pump and housing. The job itself is not hard and I did it by myself - read the guides a few times to get an idea of what your doing. Once the pump is out have a look at how it's assembled, don't just start taking things apart without understanding how they re-attach.

As someone mentioned earlier, the hardest part is disconnecting the filter hose from the underside of the housing. I actually broke the plastic nipple that the filter hose clamps onto and I had to use a strong epoxy to reattach the nipple to the housing. I was sweating bullets at this stage as the bond had to be really tight to support the filter hose - thankfully it bonded tight and there's been no issues so far.

Good luck with everything! Right now I'm dealing with P0505 on my car...
Old 07-13-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by lapdog12
I'm waiting for my new filter to come in from DaveB. I'm a noob at all this stuff but I'm willing to take this job on even though it makes me nervous. My question is, should I have another person there to help me? DaveB mentioned it might be nice to have an extra set of hands.

For the people who have done this, would an extra set of hands help or could I take this on myself? And for those who were nervous to do this, did you find it to be easier than you thought it would? BTW I have an 03 max AT.
You can do it alright by your own. Just remember to:
- relief the pressure in the fuel system
- remove the cap from the gas tank (Even if you released the pressure, gas evaporation can be a ***** when you try to disconnect your fuel hose)
- Try to get paper towels or anything that will help you to contain the fuel that will split... Oh yeah, it will be fuel in your hands and you don;t want it in the exterior of your tank or in your floor)
- And relax after a well done job with a Cold beer my friend!

Originally Posted by CobraKing
^^^

Bro, do it with at least 1/4 tank - it'll be less messier that way. I did mine with less than a 1/4 tank and alot of fuel still spilled/dripped from the pump and housing. The job itself is not hard and I did it by myself - read the guides a few times to get an idea of what your doing. Once the pump is out have a look at how it's assembled, don't just start taking things apart without understanding how they re-attach.

As someone mentioned earlier, the hardest part is disconnecting the filter hose from the underside of the housing. I actually broke the plastic nipple that the filter hose clamps onto and I had to use a strong epoxy to reattach the nipple to the housing. I was sweating bullets at this stage as the bond had to be really tight to support the filter hose - thankfully it bonded tight and there's been no issues so far.

Good luck with everything! Right now I'm dealing with P0505 on my car...
I suggest you to get a replacement for that broken part. Epoxy can be good and hold strong but remember that the fuel it's a solvent and with the pass of time it can degrade the epoxy and become a PITA or even it can be the source of an accident!

Greetings
Old 07-13-2011, 12:43 PM

thanks for the tips and encouragement, unfortunately they sent me the wrong part so i'll have to wait a bit longer.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This wouldve helped me a lot a couple years ago -_-... I should've searched google and became a member when I still had the car lol.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just completed mine and was able to do it by myself. Lapdog, you have a 2k3, so the unit will look slightly different from this write up's pictures. I followed Orgullo's write up which varied slightly from this one (required less disassembly of the housing unit). Good luck!
Old 07-13-2011, 09:08 PM

nice kensai, nice know that you can pull it off yourself because i don't have any friends that would willing to help me with this anyway.

i can't wait to do this but they sent the wrong part. thanks for the tip on Orgullo's write up. I like to see as many of these write ups as i can. there is always that person's tip or trick, that helps so you can be ready for anything you may encounter during the procedure.

Just in case there are others looking for the 2002-03 write ups here's Orgullo's:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-write-up.html

And the one from housecor:

http://www.shiftice.com/fuel_filter.html

hope i don't get in trouble for linking to other write ups. thought it would be ok because they are slightly different.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by lapdog12
nice kensai, nice know that you can pull it off yourself because i don't have any friends that would willing to help me with this anyway.

i can't wait to do this but they sent the wrong part. thanks for the tip on Orgullo's write up. I like to see as many of these write ups as i can. there is always that person's tip or trick, that helps so you can be ready for anything you may encounter during the procedure.

Just in case there are others looking for the 2002-03 write ups here's Orgullo's:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-write-up.html

And the one from housecor:

http://www.shiftice.com/fuel_filter.html

hope i don't get in trouble for linking to other write ups. thought it would be ok because they are slightly different.
Thanks alot lapdog, definately reading Orgullos to see the difference and what is supposidly easier.

Originally Posted by e90dtm
This wouldve helped me a lot a couple years ago -_-... I should've searched google and became a member when I still had the car lol.
yes, but in theory without the org you wouldn't have known that the "lifetime" fuel filter can actually be replaced in the first place?
Old 07-14-2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Flanker84
I suggest you to get a replacement for that broken part. Epoxy can be good and hold strong but remember that the fuel it's a solvent and with the pass of time it can degrade the epoxy and become a PITA or even it can be the source of an accident!

Greetings
I'll keep this in mind and I'll try to find a sending assembly by itself. Thanks bro.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:25 PM
RR5

I'd say getting the clips that hold the top part of the assembly onto the fuel filter is the most time consuming part. That is where a person to help comes in handy.

Otherwise, use flathead screwdrivers to wedge in between to assist in pulling down the fuel filter.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

fuel filter help

on my new filter there is a spot for the little metal thing on top of the the old filter (fuel pressure reg?) but its blocked off on the bottom (on the old filter there is a hole into the filter) What do i do? is it the wrong filter? is this the pressure regulator? can i drill a hole in the new filter? thanks ahead of time.... its a 2003 gle
Old 12-05-2011, 12:38 AM
RR5

Check the FSM would be my first guess.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cant wait to do mine im at 300k and never had it changed lol. Hope 93 se is similar
Old 01-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by TrtleBoy
Cant wait to do mine im at 300k and never had it changed lol. Hope 93 se is similar
I dont know when they switched over to in tank. Most fuel filters are pretty easy as you can do it under the side of the car by disconnecting the 2 lines and inserting the new filter.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:50 AM
RR5

Check the FSM here, its only got 1994 but might be similar.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/
Old 03-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was told the same thing but I order the filter anyway.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:09 AM

Beck Arney Fuel Filter - possibly defective

I got one for everybody, I installed the Beck Arney fuel filter in my 2K Maxima. Everything went well, car idled better and felt like it drove better. So I drove it 40 miles to work, but didn't make it home and had to be towed. I opened everything up last night and found that the black hose that comes off the filter was loose and popped off, probably when I went over a speed bump at work. I believe this is a defect because the other end of this short 4-inch hose at the connector looks to be heat-shrunk to fit, however where it slips over the nipple on the filter, it was not. So as a public service announcement, please check the hose connection at the filter prior to final installation. I bought some 1/4" clamps and re-clamped this connection, I should be good until next filter change.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by jmaxx2k
I got one for everybody, I installed the Beck Arney fuel filter in my 2K Maxima. Everything went well, car idled better and felt like it drove better. So I drove it 40 miles to work, but didn't make it home and had to be towed. I opened everything up last night and found that the black hose that comes off the filter was loose and popped off, probably when I went over a speed bump at work. I believe this is a defect because the other end of this short 4-inch hose at the connector looks to be heat-shrunk to fit, however where it slips over the nipple on the filter, it was not. So as a public service announcement, please check the hose connection at the filter prior to final installation. I bought some 1/4" clamps and re-clamped this connection, I should be good until next filter change.
The fuel line locks into the filter so it shouldn't come off if properly attached.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by TallTom
The fuel line locks into the filter so it shouldn't come off if properly attached.

I almost assembled mine with the quick-lock connector not fully locked in. Make sure the connector is squarely aligned with the nipple before pushing up on it, and it has to go ALL THE WAY IN. It's easy to think it's locked in when it's not. Just use the one you didn;t remove for reference, to see you pushed in in far enough.

I had to diassemble the housings again to get it to seat properly - hope this helps.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I replaced the Fuel Filter and O-Ring in my 2001 Maxima GLE (3.0 liter) yesterday (10/16/2012) and thought I would share my observations, the problems I encountered and what was done about them. The above is excellent and this commentary is intended to be additive.

Firstoff, I suggest you obtain a Factory Service Manual and look at the FuelExhaust section. Pages FE-6 through FE-9 describe the disassembly and reassembly of the fuel pump/filter/sensors canister. Second, this is not a project for tuff guys. It is a project for nit pickers. There are many plastic parts and care should be taken all along not to break something. Clean and mark stuff as you go, even though it’s pretty clear what goes where.

Further Comments and Suggestions:
  • I did not experience a problem disconnecting the Quick Connectors on the outside of the canister (did not have to use pliers). However, even though I had gone through the fuel pressure release sequence carefully, when I made my first disconnection, the gas spewed/sprayed out, definitely more than a few drops. I had put a couple of small rags around them before disconnecting, but I probably also needed another rag more-or-less on top.
  • When you get to the point that you are ready to disconnect the 2 gas lines from inside that attach to the 2 top fittings, you are told to disconnect the Quick Connecters. This was not quite so simple in my case. Even though I had completely compressed the top lips/tabs (red plastic on my unit), the internal tabs/feet portion of the piece did not move away from the white plastic gas line ridge as they are supposed to (to allow the connector to slide down over the ridge on the fitting). This was, I believe, because the integrity of the plastic had been compromised by being bathed in gas for 12 years. Before you attempt the disconnect, I suggest take a look at the Quick Connector on the replacement filter when you receive it to better understand how it’s supposed to work. After struggling with it for at least a half hour, what I ultimately did was first compress the top tabs with a zip tie, then very slightly penetrate the bottom red tab and pry it outwards with an awl (or an ice pick) to allow whole unit to slide downward beyond the ridge.
  • When you get to the point of removing the fuel pump from the filter, do so, then stop and look up inside the filter. You’ll see that the grommet is oriented a particular way. Make sure you duplicate that orientation when you reassemble. I put a very light coating of lubricant on the grommet, then inserted it into the filter, made sure its orientation was correct, then inserted the pump.
Hope this helps.

10/18/2012 - I see others have had the same problem I did with the 2 recalcitrant gas line “Quick Connectors” on the underside of the top of the canister containing filter and fuel pump. I had an afterthought and ended up making a small tool that I can use NEXT time (which probably means never, lol).

I cut a bit less than 1/4” wide strip lengthwise from the end of a thin steel pipe/rod (which was roughly 1” in diameter) with a hack saw. The strip was about 2 inches long. Then I bent the strip about ½” in about 95 degrees, cleaned it up (no rough edges, rounded the corners) and attached the long portion of the strip to a bit less than 1/4" diameter plastic rod I had lying around with electrical tape. The idea is to slide the ½” end down into the red lipped tab, move the “handle” up slightly and thus move the bottom red tab outwards mechanically with the inserted ½” end. I think it will work. My “theory” here is that over time the bottom tab may tend to stick to the ridge on the fitting, making the effort to squeeze the tabs at the top as the sole technique nearly futile.

Pain in the you-know-what … I’m “sure” the dealership has a special tool that makes this problem no big deal … or maybe I will rent them my tool, lol.

Last edited by pnels7n; 10-19-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:28 AM

did this last weekend thanks to the forum support and though i would give back my results. The car had 116k miles and for the looks of the filter it had never been changed before, its a 2000 i30, i can easily notice a difference on the way it revs it definetely does not bug down at 5k rpms no more like it used to. I would say its defenitely worth the money and time thanks.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x361/dhmcubanito/I30/20121215_100658.jpg

a picture of the gas that was coming out of the old filter.

Last edited by chakal95; 12-20-2012 at 05:32 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:19 PM

Do note that the inside of my fuel chamber/sender housing looks different from the normal, because I had to rig this up. These pics were taken after last night's run, where I attempted the fuel filter replacement but snapped the fuel supply connector on the underside of the top housing.. Of note is the fact that my fuel filter's outlet goes into what should be the fuel return line.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

great pics, but I can't see how the fuel lines are connected to the top of the unit. Could one reverse them by accident. My car is running horrible after replacing filter. I did not pay attention which line was connected to the ports on housing and I'm wondering if I got them mixed up. the vehicle idles great, but as soon as I drive, I lose power, engines wanes and surges likes its not getting fuel.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:58 AM

I couldn't find a video for the 2000-2001 Maxima, so I decided to create one. The parts are much different than the 2002-2003, plus I wanted to show an exploded view of everything and give some tips I learned along the way.

I've only driven it a couple miles, but it does seem more responsive. I filled the tank up, so I'll report back about any gas mileage increase. Currently, I'm getting about 21 mpg.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by doombot
I couldn't find a video for the 2000-2001 Maxima, so I decided to create one. The parts are much different than the 2002-2003, plus I wanted to show an exploded view of everything and give some tips I learned along the way.

I've only driven it a couple miles, but it does seem more responsive. I filled the tank up, so I'll report back about any gas mileage increase. Currently, I'm getting about 21 mpg.

https://youtu.be/w2wenpIl13c
nice man, good post, i bet you will get instant 2 MPG, if ur filter was 40k or older
Old 07-09-2015, 03:23 PM

How will you get better gas mileage?

Quick Reply: The NEW Fuel Filter Writeup Thread