5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Backed into a post...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 08:16 PM

Backed into a post...

Well I went to this new restaurant in town yesterday to get a menu. Its a tiny place with an even smaller parking lot. So anyways, I grabbed my menu and started to back out of my parking space, then noticed a metal post protecting a fire hydrant. Making sure I was to the side of it, I slowly backed up onto a low rise (2-3 inch) curb that marked the side of the parking lot, as this was the only way I could have enough room to avoid the other parked cars. As I put it in drive and started to pull forward, my car stopped. So i tossed the ebrake on and put it in park to investigate. Well to my surprise there was a small metal post that was directly behind my car and bend over at an angle, as if something had already knocked it over. However the problem was that it essentially created a hook that grabbed cutout for my spare wheel. Since it was leaning over backwards as I backed over it, it didnt catch on anything and slid rather nicely. however pulling forward it grabbed the spare wheel well. Any of you know hwo thin that metal is? well, its real thin and that post put a 3 inch diameter hole in it!!!! The post completely missed my rear bumper, whcih is good cosmetically, however the hole in the spare wheel well sucks! I ended up getting off the friggin post by putting the spare wheel in front of my rear wheel and running it over to get a lil clearance, but not before putting that big hole in the cutout. Fortunatly, its not noticable and i can put some sort of covering and sealant to prevent leakage or small animals climbing into my car. But just had to vent a lil...

also, any advice for repair measures?
Old 03-29-2004, 02:39 AM

WTF!!! wierd ... I was backing up pretty slowly and the rear of the car was near a curb, and didnt have enough space to get out. So thinking i had enough space to go back a lil more i release the brake pedal i freakin hit something. TUrns out it was a freaking yellow fire hydrant half covered by some bushes. It poked a huge *** hole in the middle of the rear bumper and im ****ed. that hydrant was like in the middle of nowhere on like a center divide thing in a small shopping center.
Looks like i gotta replace the whole damn bumper. Anyone know where to get a replacement bumper cheap. can it be replaced by yourself? i dont want to goto insurance.

wtf we cant say p|ssed?
Old 03-29-2004, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by aussie983
WTF!!! wierd ... I was backing up pretty slowly and the rear of the car was near a curb, and didnt have enough space to get out. So thinking i had enough space to go back a lil more i release the brake pedal i freakin hit something. TUrns out it was a freaking yellow fire hydrant half covered by some bushes. It poked a huge *** hole in the middle of the rear bumper and im ****ed. that hydrant was like in the middle of nowhere on like a center divide thing in a small shopping center.
Looks like i gotta replace the whole damn bumper. Anyone know where to get a replacement bumper cheap. can it be replaced by yourself? i dont want to goto insurance.

wtf we cant say p|ssed?
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=1&catalogid=2
Old 03-29-2004, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by bigdo26
Well I went to this new restaurant in town yesterday to get a menu. Its a tiny place with an even smaller parking lot. So anyways, I grabbed my menu and started to back out of my parking space, then noticed a metal post protecting a fire hydrant. Making sure I was to the side of it, I slowly backed up onto a low rise (2-3 inch) curb that marked the side of the parking lot, as this was the only way I could have enough room to avoid the other parked cars. As I put it in drive and started to pull forward, my car stopped. So i tossed the ebrake on and put it in park to investigate. Well to my surprise there was a small metal post that was directly behind my car and bend over at an angle, as if something had already knocked it over. However the problem was that it essentially created a hook that grabbed cutout for my spare wheel. Since it was leaning over backwards as I backed over it, it didnt catch on anything and slid rather nicely. however pulling forward it grabbed the spare wheel well. Any of you know hwo thin that metal is? well, its real thin and that post put a 3 inch diameter hole in it!!!! The post completely missed my rear bumper, whcih is good cosmetically, however the hole in the spare wheel well sucks! I ended up getting off the friggin post by putting the spare wheel in front of my rear wheel and running it over to get a lil clearance, but not before putting that big hole in the cutout. Fortunatly, its not noticable and i can put some sort of covering and sealant to prevent leakage or small animals climbing into my car. But just had to vent a lil...

also, any advice for repair measures?
I would try some thin gauge sheet metal. It's flexible enough to conform to the shape of the spare tire well. You can use pop rivets and slicone to hold it in place. Spray the underside with some rubberized undercoating to keep it from rusting.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:17 AM

Make sure you get any rust off with Naval Jelly and paint over it to prevent rusting.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:32 PM

kinda bringin this back from the dead (few days old at least) but i forgot I posted it. Anyways, it was very weird and I painted over it a couple hours after it happened (goood thing cause its rained the past 3 days). The thin gauge sheet metal is a good idea, I might try that. Definatly dont want a hole in my wheel well. Thanks for the input guys
Old 04-02-2004, 06:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

jb weld works wonders, the putty kind, not the liquid. then you can file it down so its smooth and even with the bottom