5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

02-03 Fog Lights SUCK

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 11:20 PM

02-03 Fog Lights SUCK

I was just wondering how many of you are not satisfied with the reliability of our fog lights. I have had my car (02 6-speed SE) for almost 2 years and have lost 3 passenger side lights. I just dont understand how they can cost so much and not stand up very long. My latest replacement light cracked after a week of hardly no use. However the driver side one is the original and doesnt even have a crack on it. It has some marks, like it has taken some hits but has never cracked. I wonder if we just have to keep replacing them until we get a WELL manufactured one. I would appreciate your responses to this concern to see how everyone else has faired with them. By the way I have used Xenon look-a-likes ($20, 55watt) since a week after i bought my car. They dont match the HIDs but are less expensive than Super Plasma's. If I could get a tough well made passenger side (like my driver side) I would have no problem springing for the PIAAs. Thanks in advance fellas.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:09 AM

I have an 02 and have never had a problem with lens failure to this point.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:12 AM

Just got my used 02 about a month ago and it came with and still has a broken passenger side. The crack runs right across the entire light. The light still works so I haven't replaced it yet . Waiting till winter is over.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:14 AM

I'm not sure if you mean the lense is cracking or the bulb is?

If you keep pulling cracked bulbs out, I bet the light is getting water in it. Look for condensation on the inside of the housing.

Mine have been fine on my '03 SE. I had this happen on a different car though. I actually drove through a really deep puddle by accindent and one of the fogs got water in it. The bulb blew out within days. I dreid out the housing and all was fine. Mind you, this housing neer leaked before and hasn't leaked since, it was due to the puddle. If your housing is leaking water in you need a new one (housing).
Old 03-16-2004, 05:00 AM

I've cracked two. One was by a rock, so I replaced it and put Xpel on both. The second cracked (while covered with Xpel) but I think that is due to heat transfer.

You can try getting some Xpel bulk film (for lights) and cutting it out to put on your lense, but there is still the chance it will crack (not break) from snow/rain hitting the hot glass.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:07 AM
NT2SHBBY

both of mine have been cracked for a while....they both work so they are staying put....glass fogs are retarded IMO

Old 03-16-2004, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bobby Adams
I was just wondering how many of you are not satisfied with the reliability of our fog lights. I have had my car (02 6-speed SE) for almost 2 years and have lost 3 passenger side lights. I just dont understand how they can cost so much and not stand up very long. My latest replacement light cracked after a week of hardly no use. However the driver side one is the original and doesnt even have a crack on it. It has some marks, like it has taken some hits but has never cracked. I wonder if we just have to keep replacing them until we get a WELL manufactured one. I would appreciate your responses to this concern to see how everyone else has faired with them. By the way I have used Xenon look-a-likes ($20, 55watt) since a week after i bought my car. They dont match the HIDs but are less expensive than Super Plasma's. If I could get a tough well made passenger side (like my driver side) I would have no problem springing for the PIAAs. Thanks in advance fellas.

I hate to say this , but you get what you pay for. I too went through the same thing friend. I would pay 40$ Nokya H3 artic whites. These light matched the HIDS perfectly , but there downfall was they they only lasted for 2 months. After 6 months of throwing away my money i broke down and got the PIAA Super Plasma, all i can say you have to get them. Not only do they match the HIDS, but they last and there backed by a 1 year guarantee! I don't know any other light bulb company that backs there lights witha year guarantee.

You hear it all the time on this board "get PIAAA you can't go wrong" trust me there right, PIAA's are the way to go. I spent 85$ for mine , but guess what, its going on 4 months and they work like a charm, if they blow for some reason i still have 8 months left to replce them.

It may cost you up front and i know the feeling 85 bucks for some bulbs!!! But beleive me it will be the best 85 bucks you ever spent!
Old 03-16-2004, 07:03 AM
Horra!!

I've got PIAA extreme whites and my passenger fog housing is still cracked. I don't see how getting a PIAA over Nokya is going to cause the housings crack faster. They both put out pretty much the same wattage and probably very similar amounts of heat. I do like my PIAA a lot but my housings are still cracked and I'll have to buy a new one. Is the glass on the fogs pretty thin or something?
Old 03-16-2004, 07:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My passenger side lense is blown out as well, I haven't replaced it yet because it doesnt seem to leak or cause a problem. But it does look kinda strange.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:15 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Passanger lens cracked here as well. Stupid POS lenses...
Old 03-16-2004, 07:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had a detailing shop put a 3M thick plastic cover over the fog lights and the headlights. They're perfectly see-through if done correctly and no one notices them. I drive 100 miles a day on highways at 70-90mph and don't have any cracks. Paint-chips, yes, but no cracks.

By the way, maybe your passenger side keeps cracking because you're in the fast lane all the time.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:02 AM

I've been running 55w PIAA Super Plasmas in my fogs protected with Invinva-shield 3M invisible bra material for around 4 months. I covered my fogs when I did my front bumper. No issues.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:31 AM

I guess some of you were confused as to what was actually cracking. In all the cases it has been the lens. The cheap bulbs have never went out, thats what doesnt make sense to me. I hate to keep forking out $161 per frecking light just to have this happen all over again.

I have a left over new drivers side lamp (I bought the whole set the first time to have an extra drivers side) and was just thinking about installing it upside down and never turning them on (because its gonna point down) and keep it like that for cosmetics until I decide what to do.

Thanks guys
Old 03-16-2004, 10:39 AM

http://www.xpel.com/
They have a headlight/fog kit for $70. I've had it on mine since new and have had no probs.
The film for painted parts is 8mil but for the lights it's 40mil, crystal clear.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by maximaman777
http://www.xpel.com/
They have a headlight/fog kit for $70. I've had it on mine since new and have had no probs.
The film for painted parts is 8mil but for the lights it's 40mil, crystal clear.
I'm considering doing this as a business. I could get film for both foglights for $20.00 plus a small shipping fee. PM if interested.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

max foglight ideas

Yea - know what u mean - my driver side fog got busted (rock?) within the first week after I owned the car - can't afford $169 for another one (that would probly get busted too)

Bought a small piece of 1/8" smoke colored plexiglas and used a jig saw to cut out pieces to glue (Liquid Nails) directly onto the foglight lenses - actually looks pretty good on the car - like a custom add-on - and protects the lenses from getting broken (if the plexiglas breaks I'll just glue on a new piece)
Old 03-16-2004, 05:27 PM

mine is also cracked but it still works
Old 03-16-2004, 06:12 PM

Now, If I remeber correctly, the 00-01 SE fogs were plastic lensed. Were there ever probs with these breaking? If there were no pobs with those, I wonder, would 00-01 fogs fit in 02-03 max's for people tired of the breaking glass in the 02-03's?

Knock on wood, my 02 has 46K highway miles, and has yet to suffer a cracked lense.

Makes you wonder why Nissan went from Plastic fogs to these glass ones . My 95' had glass fogs, and these were bright, white and very useful. Can't say that about my 02's .
Old 03-16-2004, 06:21 PM

Yoy must have a lot of paint chips too. Mine never cracked.

Knock on wood.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:21 PM

I thought i already clarified that it is the glass lens on the actual assembly. If I have confused you guys I am sorry. I was aggrevated when I wrote the thing and did not word it right.

Could someone let me know if JettmiesterMax is right about the 00-01 fogs being plastic lensed. If so Im sure I could make them work.

And no I dont have but three little chips on the front of my car, I seem to be lucky with that at least.

Sorry about the confusion guys.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:41 PM
Horra!!

I know that the 00-01 fog housings are smaller and different shaped that us 02-03 guys. I believe that they can be used as replacements, however...
Old 03-16-2004, 10:51 PM
I miss the .org!

00-01 foglights are a different shape and have a plastic lens. They are NOT interchangeable with 02-03 fogs.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:10 PM

I know that they are slightly differently shaped and mount in a different way, but I can make them work with a few adjustments to the mount on my 02. Even if the plug is different, I can rewire my plug on them with a soldering iron and shrink tubing for a water tight seal.

You can see the difference here 02-03 http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...-00002_big.jpg
00-01 http://www.courtesyparts.com/popup/p...foglights.html
Old 03-17-2004, 04:15 AM

i'm ready for my third set of passenger side fog this sucks too causea week after it cracked my piaa superplasma bulb blew now i can't even use my foglights does anybody make a direct relacement?
Old 03-17-2004, 10:16 AM

For the money why not get the original one, from DAVEB (I'm sure he'll get you a good price), that fits and have 2002 Maxima SE make you a set of film cut to size for 20 bucks.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:19 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

For the money why not get the original one, from DAVEB (I'm sure he'll get you a good price), that fits and have 2002 Maxima SE make you a set of film cut to size for 20 bucks.

Sounds like the best deal overall to me...
Old 03-17-2004, 10:25 AM

Just send me a PM.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:25 AM

Well this would be my reason for not doing so. After replacing 3 passenger side fog lights I have yet to see any evidence of it happening from an impact of some sort. I believe that it is the inconsistant construction of the thickness of the glass in the fog light that causes a crack to develop from heat buildup. Therefore the aformentioned film would not help, just worsen. Thanks anyway.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:30 AM

Well this would be my reason for not doing so. After replacing 3 passenger side fog lights I have yet to see any evidence of it happening from an impact of some sort. I believe that it is the inconsistant construction of the thickness of the glass in the fog light that causes a crack to develop from heat buildup. Therefore the aformentioned film would not help, just worsen. Thanks anyway.
On my original replaced foglight, I had a dime sized hole which cracked the length of the lense. Impact fracture/breakage is possible.

Having the film on for the past year has not caused a crack in one of the lenses. The other lense does have a hairline crack.

I think some heat transfer (hot lense hitting cold water) could cause a problem, however the film covers most of the lense. I don't use my foglights during winter rains or snow/freezing rain. I have had no other hairline cracks form since then.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:35 AM

OK, if that's the way you see it.
Like I said I've had mine since new here in Atlanta where it gets pretty hot.
Good Luck with what ever you decide.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:40 AM

3 times in a row, I dont know about that. Like I said my drivers side one has never been cracked from heat or impact. It has been hit several times it looks like, but has never cracked. You could be right, but I am just so tired of spending the money just to have the same thing happen again. I think Im gonna try the 00-01 fog set and see if I have better luck. I put up a post to see if there fog lights hold up better and it looks to me like they do. Ill keep you guys informed of what I do. Thanks
Old 03-17-2004, 11:20 AM

Btw. you mentioned PIAA's..they aren't immune to cracking either. It's just a function of the glass lens used (especially so in aftermarket lights). One of my PIAA 910s cracked just 2 weeks after installation.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:41 PM

In this pic you can see where I took two hits (one cracked and the second went straight through)...hence the piece of tape.

Old 03-18-2004, 05:05 PM
Very sound, Mike

My two lenses have been damaged for 2 years now. One has a crack the length of the lens, the other has a hole in it.

Even after driving through floodwater both have held up well - i haven't had to replace a bulb yet.

If you think about it, seems like the bulbs are more robust than the lenses.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:35 PM

The fog lights on our cars is mainly for the "design" and to put down on paper, "this car has fog lights". THey're completely useless.
But mine's been doing great...not a single problem
Old 03-18-2004, 07:06 PM

I've had the same problem with mine and I plan on buying a new set soon. I agree that there is too much heat being produced inside the housing and I suspect this is the cause of the cracking. That's why I also plan on possibly drilling extra holes in the new housing for better venting. We'll see what happens.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by fornimage
I've had the same problem with mine and I plan on buying a new set soon. I agree that there is too much heat being produced inside the housing and I suspect this is the cause of the cracking. That's why I also plan on possibly drilling extra holes in the new housing for better venting. We'll see what happens.
Unless the housing is designed to be vented, you will probably create a new problem by allowing moisture to enter the housing and possibly shorten the life of your bulb.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:59 AM

There is a rubber J shaped vent on the side of the housing.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by 2002 Maxima SE
There is a rubber J shaped vent on the side of the housing.
I took the rubber J off the plastic vent tube and found a piece of nylon tape (its pink) covering the vent hole. I'm not sure if this is to filter out dirt or was put on during shipping and forgotten. I'll post a pic later. I'm going to check both my fogs. I don't see why the tape is necessary since the J shaped rubber tube should keep out any water or dirt.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:23 PM

Here they are:

I don't know if the pink nylon tape is hurting heat escape.

Quick Reply: 02-03 Fog Lights SUCK