5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Throttle Body Cleaning: ENGINE ON OR OFF?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 04:15 PM

Throttle Body Cleaning: ENGINE ON OR OFF?!?!

Ive cleaned my TB before, but the stuff i had never said to leave the engine on. Today at pepboys i bought some Gumout TB/intake cleaner, which says to leave the engine on. I know lots of people have done this and said it worked great but im a little nervous about emptying a can of this ish into my intake with the car on. Somebody tell me im just paranoid so i can get on with this while im cleaning my filter and doing my oil change today.

On a side note, this is the first time ive changed my oil since i put on the suspension and the car is too low to put my normal oil pan under. LOL. Gotta go back to pepboys i guess.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:42 PM

clean it with the engine off first, then with the engine runnig, give the intake a couple of sprays
Old 03-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Cletus

ENGINE OFF!!!
if it is running you will get an SES light because the MAF isnt getting the air flow because the part of the intake where it is will not be connected.
open up the throttle body plate and spray plenty of cleaner in there. then wipe it out. when you connect everything and start it, it will sputter for e few seconds because of the cleaner
Old 03-09-2004, 05:02 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by soonerfan
ENGINE ON!!!
if it is running you will get an SES light because the MAF isnt getting the air flow because the part of the intake where it is will not be connected.
open up the throttle body plate and spray plenty of cleaner in there. then wipe it out. when you connect everything and start it, it will sputter for e few seconds because of the cleaner

Are you saying "engine on!" or "engine ?!" Yes or No?
Old 03-09-2004, 05:12 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by ABDomega
Are you saying "engine on!" or "engine ?!" Yes or No?
OFF
i fixed it, sorry
Old 03-09-2004, 05:13 PM
It's business time.

OFF
i fixed it, sorry

Check. I can't wait to get my intake so that I can clean the throttle body and install the intake! Yay!
Old 03-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by ABDomega
Check. I can't wait to get my intake so that I can clean the throttle body and install the intake! Yay!
then reset the ECU for those to really help
Old 03-09-2004, 05:35 PM

ENGINE OFF!!!
Wont the SES light go away when i reset my ecu after cleaning??? My SES light is always on anyway because of my 5spd conversion. Seem like it would clean it a lot better if i did it with the car on.

BTW, dumb question but my oil filter got stripped somehow so i cant use my socket to get it off and i dont have the adjustable type of filter wrench. Can I just stab it with a screwdriver to twist it out or will i mess something up? Ive hear of ppl doing this...just want to make sure before.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 2kGLE
BTW, dumb question but my oil filter got stripped somehow so i cant use my socket to get it off and i dont have the adjustable type of filter wrench. Can I just stab it with a screwdriver to twist it out or will i mess something up? Ive hear of ppl doing this...just want to make sure before.
Do it the proper way to avoid giving yourself more trouble than it's worth. Get this type of strap wrench from Sears or something similar to it and just open it the right way.

Old 03-09-2004, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by bsetiawan
Do it the proper way to avoid giving yourself more trouble than it's worth. Get this type of strap wrench from Sears or something similar to it and just open it the right way.

Someone is bringing me a good wrench right now. I was going to stab the ish in a fit of rage but i calmed down. lol.

So im still unsure...leave the car off or on? I dont see how the SES light would matter if i just reset the ecu after. I remember reading about people doing it with the car on. What do you guys think???
Old 03-09-2004, 06:24 PM

Yes, for the love of god do it with the
ENGINE OFF

and just wipe all the surfaces with a towel soaked in throttle body cleaner (I use Gumout's Air Intake/Throttle Body cleaner, and I use it with a towel and the engine off)

The only reason I can think of for doing it with the engine ON, is if you're going to spray it directly into the idle air bypass port (which the ECU uses to automatically control the idle; if this part can gunk up then it will decrease idle quality.) Although the best way to clean this should be disassembling the whole thing, although I have no idea how hard/infeasible/feasible this is.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:26 PM

Always leave the car OFF while cleaning the throttle body. I personally do not spray the TB cleaner into the intake manifold, but rather spray the cleaner onto a terry cloth towel and then wipe the TB clean. I use a large flat head screwdriver to push the TB open and wipe the top and bottom until no residue remains. This is the safest way to clean it.

Also, if you have a friend or wife available, have them hold the throttle body open so you can get a better look while cleaning. It's also much easier to clean this way and is much faster than doing both things yourself.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by spirilis
Yes, for the love of god do it with the
ENGINE OFF

and just wipe all the surfaces with a towel soaked in throttle body cleaner (I use Gumout's Air Intake/Throttle Body cleaner, and I use it with a towel and the engine off)

The only reason I can think of for doing it with the engine ON, is if you're going to spray it directly into the idle air bypass port (which the ECU uses to automatically control the idle; if this part can gunk up then it will decrease idle quality.) Although the best way to clean this should be disassembling the whole thing, although I have no idea how hard/infeasible/feasible this is.
Point well taken. I will just do it off like i usually do...I knew that ish was making me nervous for a reason. Could you explain more about the idle air bypass port? Where is that and can you link me to a pic by chance? My idle is a$s right now. Its doing this crap where it drops below 500rpms when i take it out of gear above 3k to slow down. The tb clean and filter clean will fix it, but im wondering if it has anything to do with the idle air bypass port.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:38 PM

I believe the reasoning behind doing this with the engine OFF can be summed up by the following points:

1. don't have to deal with the SES light from the MAF sensor disconnected
2. Carbon soot/sludge, if ingested through the intake manifold with cleaner, can land on the intake valves and possibly help burn the valves. That is not good. Carbon on the valves also makes the engine run leaner. Fuel system cleaners such as BG44K Advanced Formula (just called "BG44K" by most people) help clean the valves and reduce this problem.
3. Oxygen sensor/catalytic converter impact from the solvent itself. I believe the GUMOUT stuff even cautions not to spray the cleaner nonstop for a long period of time, instead spray a little and then let the cats "rest" so they don't overheat from the excessive unburnt solvent passing through the catalyst. I also think some excessive carbon soot can foul the O2 sensors, especially if they already have a lot of miles on them.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by 2kGLE
Point well taken. I will just do it off like i usually do...I knew that ish was making me nervous for a reason. Could you explain more about the idle air bypass port? Where is that and can you link me to a pic by chance? My idle is a$s right now. Its doing this crap where it drops below 500rpms when i take it out of gear above 3k to slow down. The tb clean and filter clean will fix it, but im wondering if it has anything to do with the idle air bypass port.
I don't know much about the idle air bypass system on the VQ, besides the fact that the actuator uses a stepper motor in ours (older cars I've worked on use a solenoid of some type that opens either variably or fully open/close)
I think our throttle body is a bit crowded, with a coolant line going through it and all, but the idle air bypass assembly should be detachable somehow, just not sure if it's doable with the throttle body installed in its stock location (there isn't much space behind it for tools)
Old 03-09-2004, 08:34 PM

I believe my mechanic hooked up one of the B&G can (a kit of 3 cans) into the idle air bypass and have the car run for 12-20 mins or until the can is empty. Then he clean the throttle body with the engine OFF. The last step was to put in the B&G44k in the gas tank, fill it up and drive until near empty.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:14 PM

Throttle body cleaning

Guys with 5.5 Gen Maximas(2002-2003)...DO NOT MANUALLY CLEAN THE THROTTLE BODY. It is a drive-by wire throttle system. I did mine two weeks ago and when I installed everything back and started up, the rpms wouldn't go below 1500rpm and it threw a check engine light. The idle-air volume learning procedure didn't work. I had to take it to a Nissan Stealership to have the ecu totally reprogrammed for $200. Yikes. I wish I knew. Now you know.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by MADMAX2003
Guys with 5.5 Gen Maximas(2002-2003)...DO NOT MANUALLY CLEAN THE THROTTLE BODY. It is a drive-by wire throttle system. I did mine two weeks ago and when I installed everything back and started up, the rpms wouldn't go below 1500rpm and it threw a check engine light. The idle-air volume learning procedure didn't work. I had to take it to a Nissan Stealership to have the ecu totally reprogrammed for $200. Yikes. I wish I knew. Now you know.
this is a thread about cleaning the TB on a 3.0
we all know not to do it on a 3.5...i started a thread about this a year ago...but thanks for the bump
if you had done some research, you wouldnt have done this.
most people have to buy a new TB

Last edited by SoonerFan; 03-13-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:03 PM
dot dot dot ...

I've cleaned my TB 3x so far, no problems after an IAVL reset..
Old 06-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I've cleaned my TB 3x so far, no problems after an IAVL reset..
so you are bumping this to show off?