5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone here have the Nissan Prefered Gold Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 10:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Anyone here have the Nissan Prefered Gold Warranty?

I am still researching different aftermarket extended warranty options for my 03 Maxima and today i went to the local Nissan dealer in Sunnyvale, CA.
Had a 15 min. chat and he offered me a 60mo/100k miles Prefered Gold Ext. Warranty for a little less than $1500 with $50 deductible. (list price was $1380 but he said that he has to make a profit, so added $100 - go figure)
Does anyoner have the Nissan Gold warranty and what is your experience with it ??? Any issues? Any components that were not covered? I know that the TSBs are not covered, but what about the MAF, O2 sensors and etc... ??

Share your experience please. I'm trying to make a decision and i am between Nissan's offer, ...Warrantydirect.com ($150 more than nissan) .... 1sourcewarranty($350 less than Nissan) ....
Is the Gold warranty really "gold" ?

Btw, ... my brother has a Toyota covered by the 100k miles Toyota Gold warranty and so far its been excellent - they covered a new AT at 86k miles. Thumbs up for Toyota's service.

Thanks in advance for any opinions!
Old 02-25-2004, 06:14 AM

i've had the gold warranty before with a '98 Pathfinder... they replaced the transmission at 75k'ish miles (this was last February)... no issues, just the $50 deductible. We received a loaner car, as well. No problems at all with getting Nissan to perform the service.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:16 AM
NT2SHBBY

extended warranties are great-providing you don't heavily mod cuz mods void it anyway-so its just $$$ wasted...if you plan to keep stock or lightly mod, then go for it

Old 02-25-2004, 09:29 AM

The way I look at it is that it is either a huge waste of money or a very good investment, but at least you have the peace of mind knowing that you have it. I got it when I bought my 03 Max for what they told me was their at cost ($13xx.00, I don't remember specifically). Your car MAY have a transmission, engine, or other costly failure and maybe more than once. If you get it, Just be sure to keep all of your vehicle maintenance receipts and check, when in doubt as to whether parts/fluids are compatible to the over priced Nissan parts.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:30 AM

I have 108KM, so 52K left, here is what has been done:

- 64K Traverse Link
- 80K Sunroof motor
- 102K rear O2 sensor
- 105K alternator

I am getting close to the cost of the warranty plus I have 0 deductible.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:05 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

i would negotiate on the price of that. i have a nissan gold warranty with zero deductible 100k miles for 1100. i actually bought it from a different dealer than i bought the car so it was not part of the deal. i would not say im heaving modified but ive got a few and my dealer does not hassle with me anything. my last repair for the tsb for 2 02 sensors and reflash was about half of the warranty pice and i am only at 40k. it was covered under the extended because i was at 39k. i have had several other tsb but they were covered 3yr/36k.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:28 AM
retired moderator

I have it and have used it once so far (for a new strut, which interestingly it says it does not cover)...they covered it anyways.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:52 PM
drag racing is for wussies

I received mine for free from Nissan in a little box, a mug, hat and some pens ! It said something like thank you for purchasing another Nissan, hope ya enjoy this one as U have the Sentra, Altima and Maxima- they listed all my cars I owned - Nissans. They even said if I don't want it I can return it for 1100 dollar credit. I kept it, since then it has expired. I never once used it. Alot of smiles on my car
Old 02-26-2004, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
I received mine for free from Nissan in a little box, a mug, hat and some pens ! It said something like thank you for purchasing another Nissan, hope ya enjoy this one as U have the Sentra, Altima and Maxima- they listed all my cars I owned - Nissans. They even said if I don't want it I can return it for 1100 dollar credit. I kept it, since then it has expired. I never once used it. Alot of smiles on my car
that's awesome!
Old 02-28-2004, 10:19 PM

yea thats definitely awesome...i have it and the parts it covers is pretty extensive...so far i've tried to bring it in for even the most minor problems and i've never been charged for them looking at it...what i have had problems was when i tell them whats wrong..they inspect it and say its ok when its not ex:steering wheel audio controls work on and off...pass. window takes forever to roll down and makes very loud sqeaking noise...belt sqeaks very loud sometimes...they say its fine and nothing's wrong when there defintely is...only reason why i'm not too angry is cuz its not too important and they dont charge me...so i'm trying to get them to fix everything they can before it runs out but i think its a wise investment granted that you won't do any hardcore modding.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:05 AM

got extension warr for 36K above my 50K i have on my car now. Paid $899 (under cost according to dealer, yea right!!). They also pay towing to the dealer which is cool. Does not cover the bad Bose stereo thought, but most major mechanical etc....
Old 02-29-2004, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by dansmax2003
I am still researching different aftermarket extended warranty options for my 03 Maxima and today i went to the local Nissan dealer in Sunnyvale, CA.
Had a 15 min. chat and he offered me a 60mo/100k miles Prefered Gold Ext. Warranty for a little less than $1500 with $50 deductible. (list price was $1380 but he said that he has to make a profit, so added $100 - go figure)
Does anyoner have the Nissan Gold warranty and what is your experience with it ??? Any issues? Any components that were not covered? I know that the TSBs are not covered, but what about the MAF, O2 sensors and etc... ??

Share your experience please. I'm trying to make a decision and i am between Nissan's offer, ...Warrantydirect.com ($150 more than nissan) .... 1sourcewarranty($350 less than Nissan) ....
Is the Gold warranty really "gold" ?

Btw, ... my brother has a Toyota covered by the 100k miles Toyota Gold warranty and so far its been excellent - they covered a new AT at 86k miles. Thumbs up for Toyota's service.

Thanks in advance for any opinions!
I have that warranty as well, you must have went to Falore Nissan, if so, that is where I bought my first Nissan in 93, an Altima. I'm looking into what is covered but so far all I know is the engine/powertrain.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:11 AM

I have it for my '01 Max (75K miles). I've had the MAF and 2 oxygen sensors replaced with no problems. Only thing is the $50 deductible so sometimes you dont even want to turn it in. For example, I had a problem with my stabilizer links up front so I just did them myself cuz it was cheaper than $50. Oh, and I found a dealer that sold it to me for $1000. Not a bad deal considering the repairs I've had and am sure to have in the next 25K miles.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:36 AM
scopium

so if i have the gold waranty ..
it should cover engine problems.. such as hesitation and some ratteling right?