5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Can anyone help me......

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 04:30 PM

Can anyone help me......

i was leaving for work this moring and i hear my valves clicking so i stop at WALi-world to get some Mobil 1 oil. when i took my cap off to put some new oil in i found the dreaded greenish milky substance covering the oil cap. from all the information that i have gathered that is a tell tail sign of my head gasket being blown. i have suspected the worst since the beginning of last week. to be safe i take my car to the nissan dealership let them know that im afraid my head gasket is blown and agree to the 100 dollar diagnostic fee. i call them like 2 hrs later and they said they were just about to call me and i would have to pay 340 MORE dollars for 3 hrs of work just doing a diagnosis on my car. i was like hell no. then i asked what they found bc i had a SES light which would obviously point them in the right direction to give a correct diagnosis on my car. the guy said "your car is running too rich". i was like thats all you can tell me and then asked well what about the head gasket and he said oh thats fine. i go back to the dealer talk to this punk and got tired of hearing his BS so i went to the service manager and was being very nice. i asked him what was wrong with my car and he said its running too rich as well. i was liike so i have to pay u guys 100 bucks to basically pull my engine code (which was P0172). i asked him about the head gasket and he said oh the head gasket is fine. i then asked him again to make sure i was understanding him correctly he replied with no your head gasket is not the problem. i said thanks for your time paid my bill and left.

during all of this i was in contact with STUDMAN who by the way gave me more info and helped me out more than the dealer. the dealership told me that problem code i called studman WAHLA i get my answer. BANK 1 is running too rich possible causes: heated oxygen sensor 1, injectors, exhaust gas leak, incorrect fuel pressure, or MAF.

the milky substance on the oil cap is normally a head gasket issuse, nissan service told me my head gasket was fine which IMO i dont think they checked it. so either a.) my head gasket is fine and i have coolant in my engine for no reason or b.) nissan is wrong and by them misdiagnosing my car could stick me with a new motor for x-mas. if they misdiagnose my car are they leagally responcible for the car if what they said wasnt wrong really was? if nissan is right can anyone tell my why my car is acting funny. it stalls at every light, lurches when i try to make it go and acts crazy only at LOW rpms. please help me.......

will

sry for rambling....
Old 12-22-2003, 05:17 PM

How many miles are on the car?
Old 12-22-2003, 05:52 PM

Head gasket might be fine...did you crack the head itself?

There should never be antifreeze in your oil. I don't understand how they're overlooking that one...Unless running rich somehow does this, but I never heard of that...
Old 12-22-2003, 05:57 PM

61900 miles..... i havent check for a cracked head. either way that is going to be more expensive than gettin a new motor. all i wanted to know from the service dept was if my head gasket was blown and they probably never checked it.

will

will
Old 12-22-2003, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by WILLSE
61900 miles..... i havent check for a cracked head. either way that is going to be more expensive than gettin a new motor. all i wanted to know from the service dept was if my head gasket was blown and they probably never checked it.

will

will
Did you see any difference in the oil level after you saw the milky substance? Also, is there any oil in your radiator and/or recovery tank? The noise you mentioned sounds like there was a lack of lubrication in your valve train. You would have to take the head to a machine shop to have it pressure tested for cracks. I don't know of any tests that you could do yourself for that. Bad head gaskets usually give signs like antifreeze smell coming from exhaust outlet, oil in water or water in oil.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:19 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
Did you see any difference in the oil level after you saw the milky substance? Also, is there any oil in your radiator and/or recovery tank? The noise you mentioned sounds like there was a lack of lubrication in your valve train. You would have to take the head to a machine shop to have it pressure tested for cracks. I don't know of any tests that you could do yourself for that. Bad head gaskets usually give signs like antifreeze smell coming from exhaust outlet, oil in water or water in oil.
Many garages can test the coolant for traces of combustion residue. It's like a pregnancy test, dip the test strip in the radiator; blue you're ok, pink you're screwed. Was the oil level low when you checked it at wal-mart?
Old 12-22-2003, 08:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do a compression test on all cylinders, that should tell you if your head gasket is blown, cause you will see low compression o, one or more cylinders on the same side.

Also if you stand behind the car the exhaust should smell sweet, signs of burning anti-freeze.

Dixit
Old 12-22-2003, 08:36 PM

wouldnt i notice a signifcant decrease in my coolant?

will