5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How hard is it to change my own spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 07:47 AM

How hard is it to change my own spark plugs?

I've never done it before, but I want to try. Anybody know anything? What tools do I need?
Old 12-09-2003, 08:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If your 2K1 is anything like a 2K, it shouldn't be too bad (I honestly haven't touched mine yet, but I intend to sometime soon)

You'll want a long 1/2"-drive extension (e.g. 1-foot-long might do the trick), a Spark Plug Socket for 5/8"-wide spark plugs (for 1/2"-drive sockets), and a 1/2"-drive ratchet (a torque wrench would be even better, as you can be more precise when tightening the plugs)

I believe you'll also need a small ratchet/socket/extension for the ignition coil's mounting bolt (i.e. a 3/8"-drive ratchet, extension and suitable socket... not sure what the size is).
A magnetic pickup tool is also good (those are cheap at Autozone/Advance Auto/NAPA/etc.)
Also, anti-seize compound is great on the spark plug's threads, so it doesn't seize up (makes it easier to remove later on)

The procedure should involve removing the coils first (disconnect the wiring harness from the coil, remove the mounting bolt, pull the coil off), then remove the spark plug (get the ratchet/extension/spark plug socket assembly ready, put it over the spark plug, loosen it up, then use the magnetic pickup tool to pull it out).

Installing them involves putting a little anti-seize on the threads of the spark plug, putting the spark plug in its hole, HAND-tightening it, then torqueing it down to around 15-20 ft/lbs (I think?), or something like 1/4-turn of a ratchet... you don't want it to be TOO tight.
Then apply a little silicone dielectric tuneup grease to the inside of the ignition coil's rubber boot, put the coil on the plug, install the mounting bolt & tighten it gently, plug the wiring harness in, and you're done.

Like I said earlier, I haven't done this on mine yet, but this is the procedure as I understand it...
Old 12-09-2003, 08:15 AM

overall it is very easy. the back few can be tricky to get to. but with patience and the right tools you should be good to go.

check out a how-to here:
http://www.nissanx.net/tanman/
Old 12-09-2003, 08:27 AM

Damn good responses in less than 30 minutes. There's a hobby shop at Andrew's Air Force Base that I'm going to take my car to. They have lifts, tools and everything I need. I just wanted some direction.

Another question: Do I need to worry about gapping/spacing the plugs?

Hey Spirillis, when do you think you're gonna do yours? I might be able to get you on Andrews and we could do it side by side.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:54 AM

The plugs are already pregapped. But always check the gap to make sure no damage during shipping, etc.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by UncleMax98
The plugs are already pregapped. But always check the gap to make sure no damage during shipping, etc.

Great, I might try and get this done, this evening before our DC/MD/VA Hooter's Meet.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:10 AM

I usually do mine in my front lawn
(don't have to lift it up or anything...)

Where is Andrews, BTW? I might be up for helping out, or maybe doing my rear brakes while I'm there (if there's a machine shop nearby where I can get the rotors turned...)
plus having it up on a lift would help me figure out WTF is wrong with my parking brake (and get to any of the parking brake linkages that aren't back at the calipers)...
Old 12-09-2003, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by AE SEoulchild
Great, I might try and get this done, this evening before our DC/MD/VA Hooter's Meet.
oh, nm, you're talking way soon (like today )
Old 12-09-2003, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by spirilis
oh, nm, you're talking way soon (like today )

Andrew's is like exit 9 on the beltway. I'm not sure what city it's in. I know it's south of DC. It takes me about 20 minutes to get there from Silver Spring. If you're trying to go, I can wait. I was just going to do it because I had some free time today. Have you ever changed the oil in your car yourself. I haven't done it yet on Annie. Is there a write up for that too?
Old 12-09-2003, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by AE SEoulchild
Andrew's is like exit 9 on the beltway. I'm not sure what city it's in. I know it's south of DC. It takes me about 20 minutes to get there from Silver Spring. If you're trying to go, I can wait. I was just going to do it because I had some free time today. Have you ever changed the oil in your car yourself. I haven't done it yet on Annie. Is there a write up for that too?
ah, that's a little far for me...

Changing the oil isn't hard, you can probably find info on how to do it here as well as elsewhere on the internet...
Playing with your car is fun... I've done a lot with mine (oil changes, trans. fluid changes, air filter, brake rotor/pads, sound system, etc.), though not nearly as much as some people (like those who do engine swaps, suspension mods, etc )
Old 12-09-2003, 09:37 AM

Okay, well I'm going to Andrews today then. I'll see you at hOOters.