5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Code 340 - Which cam sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 12:44 PM

Code 340 - Which cam sensor?

So I recently took my car to the mechanic after getting a CEL. Guy said it was throwing code 340 which was a faulty cam sensor. I went to my local Nissan dealership to buy the sensor but they didn't know which bank I needed the sensor for. Also, they wanted to charge $166 for the sensor.

How do I know which sensor to get? Also where is the best place to buy the sensor for a cheap price? I've seen some stuff online for as low as 24 bucks but I wasn't sure if it was legit.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You may want to change both

Originally Posted by mo neenja31
So I recently took my car to the mechanic after getting a CEL. Guy said it was throwing code 340 which was a faulty cam sensor. I went to my local Nissan dealership to buy the sensor but they didn't know which bank I needed the sensor for. Also, they wanted to charge $166 for the sensor.

How do I know which sensor to get? Also where is the best place to buy the sensor for a cheap price? I've seen some stuff online for as low as 24 bucks but I wasn't sure if it was legit.
Sorry for poor picture quality, this is camshaft sensor position two, from Import Direct. I ordered it through SS Auto for less than 50 dollars, and its only 60 through O'Riely Auto Parts.
Both sensors are listed as recalls, so it might be best to change both, but the code should indicate the position on the scanner. I want to say mine was also 340, and it was position two that needed changed. If you want to find cheap parts online, go through reputable parts websites, just to be safe.

Has your car started shutting off while you're driving down the road? If not, beware, mine would put on the E-break and shut off at speeds of 35 mph. Good luck finding it.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:12 AM

P0340 is for the Bank 1 side of the engine. This is the side towards the firewall. Parts stores will call this the rear of the engine.

The code for Bank 2 is P0345.

The Nissan list price for part # 23731-6J90B is $130.65. The dealer is screwing you. On-line, these sensors sell for around $90 to $95 plus shipping charges

rockauto.com. has them for between $30 and $35.
Look up NISSAN -2002 -MAXIMA - 3.5L V6 - Ignition -Camshaft Position Sensor
or NISSAN -2003 -MAXIMA - 3.5L V6 - Ignition -Camshaft Position Sensor
Old 03-17-2017, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nikole Widenoja
Sorry for poor picture quality, this is camshaft sensor position two, from Import Direct. I ordered it through SS Auto for less than 50 dollars, and its only 60 through O'Riely Auto Parts.
Both sensors are listed as recalls, so it might be best to change both, but the code should indicate the position on the scanner. I want to say mine was also 340, and it was position two that needed changed. If you want to find cheap parts online, go through reputable parts websites, just to be safe.

Has your car started shutting off while you're driving down the road? If not, beware, mine would put on the E-break and shut off at speeds of 35 mph. Good luck finding it.
I don't see an image but after a long drive and shutting the car off and starting it back up, the car refused to turn over until I held it. Rough start and idle. I went to my cousins, let the car sit for a couple of hours and it started normally again. Then after coming home from the Nissan dealership, I turned off the car and tried to start it again. Same issue as before. So far I haven't had it shut off on me while driving.

Originally Posted by DennisMik
P0340 is for the Bank 1 side of the engine. This is the side towards the firewall. Parts stores will call this the rear of the engine.

The code for Bank 2 is P0345.

The Nissan list price for part # 23731-6J90B is $130.65. The dealer is screwing you. On-line, these sensors sell for around $90 to $95 plus shipping charges

rockauto.com. has them for between $30 and $35.
Look up NISSAN -2002 -MAXIMA - 3.5L V6 - Ignition -Camshaft Position Sensor
or NISSAN -2003 -MAXIMA - 3.5L V6 - Ignition -Camshaft Position Sensor

Thank you for your input. I'll have to check out rockauto
Old 03-21-2017, 03:42 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Definitely go with OEM sensors. But as pointed out, you can definitely find them for less than your dealer. Hell, for my G35, the Infiniti dealer only wanted $120 each for mine.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:08 AM

OEM or do it all over again in under 12 months

do all 3 sensors 2 cams and one crank

if you dont, you run the risk of the car shutting off with absolutely no warning while you are driving, you are lucky u have a code

they are expensive, but... after experiencing a scary incident its no brainer.

and yes i tired the cheap aftermarket sensors, came right back year later.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:35 AM

Update: I bought the cam sensor for bank 1 from rock auto and replaced the old cam sensor. Now the car won't start. Not sure what I did wrong.

Prior to this, the check engine sign went away after driving with the old sensor for a while but I still wanted to replace it.

Last edited by mo neenja31; 04-03-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:44 AM

two things you didn't comprehend...

OEM and all 3 .... best of luck man, can't give you any more info.