5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Lost to a GTP.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 06:09 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Lost to a GTP.....

Hello all,

well last night a buddy of mine took me flying at our local airport, and afterwards we decided to race our cars down the runway. It was 11:00 and it was really cool to have all the runwaylights on while we raced. He has the 3.8L 240 h.p. supercharged version. We both lined up and nailed it, we both spun (no T.C.on) and he jumped ahead and pulled a 2-2.5 carlength lead on me until 100 mph. Afterwards, I was behind him at 40 mph and we both nailed it to 90 and it seemed from that speed he wasn't pulling on me much at all, he was just infront of me. Well, I was alittle dissapointed, but those cars are pretty quick for a four-door. What do they run normally in the 1/4? Anyone else had an encounter with one?? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-04-2003, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by 00SESoonToBe
Hello all,

well last night a buddy of mine took me flying at our local airport, and afterwards we decided to race our cars down the runway. It was 11:00 and it was really cool to have all the runwaylights on while we raced. He has the 3.8L 240 h.p. supercharged version. We both lined up and nailed it, we both spun (no T.C.on) and he jumped ahead and pulled a 2-2.5 carlength lead on me until 100 mph. Afterwards, I was behind him at 40 mph and we both nailed it to 90 and it seemed from that speed he wasn't pulling on me much at all, he was just infront of me. Well, I was alittle dissapointed, but those cars are pretty quick for a four-door. What do they run normally in the 1/4? Anyone else had an encounter with one?? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
You are an idiot for racing down a runway.

What if someone was doing an emergency landing and plowed right on your hood??
Not only would you have lost to the GTP, but lost your max, and your life.

Please don't go out doing nothing retarded like that again.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:28 AM
Pizda Boy

Originally Posted by milellie111

whatever man......
take me there, I want to race on the runway!!!!
and don't you know not to race a GTP??? those things are quick as hell.....
Old 12-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Cletus

my friend has a GTP and she handed me my @ss. so i lost to an american car AND a girl
had her off the line for about a second then she was gone
Old 12-04-2003, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by MaxedOutOfCash
whatever man......
take me there, I want to race on the runway!!!!
and don't you know not to race a GTP??? those things are quick as hell.....
With your bone stock 4th gen, the only thing you'd be worthy of racing is a Daewoo Leganza.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:38 AM

Hello all,

Well I have a little more of a positive response to this post than some others. First off they would have never been allowed on the runway if there was even a remote chance of a plane coming in. Second plains aren't just allowed to land emergency or no emergency. They still need approval and at which point they need to clear the runway. Third depending on the size of the airport they don't use all the runways and this may have been a retired lane that they use strictly for transport / Service vehicles. Forth we don't have all the facts so we can't say what the exact situation was. If you feel that this act was not safe and you need to address it thats fine to each their own but please refrain from calling names and being so negative there are more effect and curtious ways to get your point across. This is a respectable list and we don't allow people bashing other peoples cars or lists why bash and beat up our own members ??

Anywho enough of that. They GTP's are very respectable. I am on a Regal GS list that has the same 3.8L Supercharged motors. They run anywhere from Mid to Low 15's stock. Most of the times you will see are 14.9's or 15 flats at least this is what they post. I have seen a few stockers at the track and depending on launch and track conditions the best I have seen one pull was a 14.91.

Before my 2003 I had a 1997 SE 5- Speed with stillen y-pipe, b-pipe, and muffler and a CAI intake and my fiends 2000 GTP was pretty much dead nuts with me. I would pull a little but we are talking inches if that. Just enough to be seen. My best 1/4 mile was a 14.96. So I would say with a little exhaust work and a good CAI you should bre more than stout enough to give him another run !
Old 12-04-2003, 06:40 AM

I think I can take a GTP......What the hell is that anyway???
Old 12-04-2003, 06:41 AM

Hello all,

What do they run normally in the 1/4? Anyone else had an encounter with one?? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

I don't know the specs on the 1/4 times or anything - but I used to have one the non-sc'd 3.8l v-6 grand prixs as a company car.....and I can definitely say that those things are stump-pullers off the line.
The handling isn't too bad either.....!

I'd believe that with a supercharger we'd be hard pressed to beat those guys off the line on any given day (stock Max).

Top-end would be quite a different story, as you observed.....but gearing and transmissions have alot to do with that as well.
Torque truly decides simple contests of off-the-line drag-racing --- and those engines are VERY biased for low-end grunt.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:44 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
I think I can take a GTP......What the hell is that anyway???
pontiac grand prix GTP. 3.8L 240 h.p. supercharged
you wont beat one, so dont try
Old 12-04-2003, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
I don't know the specs on the 1/4 times or anything - but I used to have one the non-sc'd 3.8l v-6 grand prixs as a company car.....and I can definitely say that those things are stump-pullers off the line.
The handling isn't too bad either.....!

I'd believe that with a supercharger we'd be hard pressed to beat those guys off the line on any given day (stock Max).

Top-end would be quite a different story, as you observed.....but gearing and transmissions have alot to do with that as well.
Torque truly decides simple contests of off-the-line drag-racing --- and those engines are VERY biased for low-end grunt.
I agree they have low en grunt. I know a couple of guys with these cars. One has the GTP and the other has the Supercharges Regal GS. I have raced both of them. The regal is fair game I pull from no matter what speed we race. The GTP has an the GSX intake setup and he pulls on me of the line I catch up and by that time we are pretty much even with me pulling a tiny bit.

02 and 03 Maxima's have can have there way with those forced inductioned Cars.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
With a 2003, he should be able to beat one. As long as the GTP is stock. If he has a pulley or anything on it, then you won't do very well but you shouldn't have any trouble stock for stock.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:51 AM

02 and 03 maxima's Can put the smack down.

It's been proven.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:03 AM

I don't know if this is much of a kill, but I raced and beat a stock '98 GTP by two car lengths. I have a stock 2000 5spd. Now that car has a full exhaust. I haven't had a chance to rematch, since I'm deployed right now. I plan on racing that car again when I get back and get my exhaust and intake installed.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by ryand.white
I don't know if this is much of a kill, but I raced and beat a stock '98 GTP by two car lengths. I have a stock 2000 5spd. Now that car has a full exhaust. I haven't had a chance to rematch, since I'm deployed right now. I plan on racing that car again when I get back and get my exhaust and intake installed.
If it was indeed a Supercharged Prix then I say a hell of a kill

You must had one hell of a launch !!
Old 12-04-2003, 07:09 AM

yeah the 3.5ers will eat up stock gtps.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:11 AM
Cletus

but the GTP is auto only!! what a waste!!
Old 12-04-2003, 07:13 AM

but the GTP is auto only!! what a waste!!
nothing wrong with autos......
Old 12-04-2003, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by milellie111

The airport was EMPTY and my buddy was monitoring the frequencies while in his car. He's a goddam pilot for the USAF and he knows what the hell he's doing, so I'll race with him down the runway if he clears it. Besides we were on the runway for 2 minutes. we both are anyhow so don't even try and tell me what's retarted to do and not do.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:21 AM

Thanks to all the rest of you for the good info, I was rather impressed by the Pontiac off the line. I'd still rather own my Max anyday, as far as looks, reliability and handling goes but a S/C would be nice!
Old 12-04-2003, 07:23 AM

The airport was EMPTY and my buddy was monitoring the frequencies while in his car. He's a goddam pilot for the USAF and he knows what the hell he's doing, so I'll race with him down the runway if he clears it. Besides we were on the runway for 2 minutes. we both are anyhow so don't even try and tell me what's retarted to do and not do.

SoonToBe just be the bigger man and let this go. It doesn't deserve a response.
It's all good I got your back
Old 12-04-2003, 07:24 AM

yeah... and take me to the strip... i think that would be fun....
Old 12-04-2003, 07:30 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by skandalouz
nothing wrong with autos......
true, but you should have the option
Old 12-04-2003, 07:31 AM

Thanks to all the rest of you for the good info, I was rather impressed by the Pontiac off the line. I'd still rather own my Max anyday, as far as looks, reliability and handling goes but a S/C would be nice!
Yeah I love my Max. But I actually wait for the day the put a 6 speed behind the GTP. Now that would be fun. Although with the new body stil (I don't like it) I wouldn't buy one.

This is just my opinion. I didn't like the changes they made to the car. Then again I am not the biggest fan of what they did to the 04 max either.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:33 AM
Cletus

i agree. dont like the way they look, especially interior. NASTY
btw, what does your buddy fly?