5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Power cuts off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 07:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Power cuts off while driving

I'm having a problem with my 2000 SE, 5 speed. Sometimes when I'm driving and slowing down for a light (or slowing for a turn) the car cuts off. My radio still works but there's no power! I have to actually turn the ignition and start it!

-Heather
Old 12-02-2003, 07:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Any SES (Service Engine Soon) lights when you're driving?
Old 12-02-2003, 07:55 AM

are u sure that you're not stalling out?
Old 12-02-2003, 08:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by spirilis
Any SES (Service Engine Soon) lights when you're driving?

Yes my SES light is on (constantly) I've had it turned off and have gone to Autozone to have them analyze it but it comes back on.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by skandalouz
are u sure that you're not stalling out?

That's what I thought it was at first so I started paying more attention, I can just touch my brakes as I'm coming upon a light to slow down (but not slow enough to require downshifting) and it will die. Someone mentioned it might have something to do with my engine not getting enough fuel? I have no idea...
Old 12-02-2003, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by hadams76
Yes my SES light is on (constantly) I've had it turned off and have gone to Autozone to have them analyze it but it comes back on.
You know what code Autozone pulled? I think you should look into that first...
If you go to Autozone and get it checked again, please write down the code they give you... it'll give us more insight on what you should check
Do you work on cars any (or know anyone who can?)
Old 12-02-2003, 08:22 AM

That's what I thought it was at first so I started paying more attention, I can just touch my brakes as I'm coming upon a light to slow down (but not slow enough to require downshifting) and it will die. Someone mentioned it might have something to do with my engine not getting enough fuel? I have no idea...
What about pushing the clutch pedal down and holding it while you slow down to a stop? (or putting it in neutral as you slow down...)

that's how I typically drive mine anyway... throw it in neutral or keep clutch pedal depressed while slowing down...
Old 12-02-2003, 08:25 AM

When you say slowing down, are you in neutral?

If so does it happen more often after high RPMs (5-6K) or high speed (like comming off a highway)?

I have had it happen to me a few times. The scenario is: lauch off a red light, gun it through first and second. Second gear, 5500 RPM, pop it in to neutral to coast to the next light. The RPMs just drop and it stalls.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by bert
When you say slowing down, are you in neutral?

pop it in to neutral to coast to the next light. The RPMs just drop and it stalls.
This is exactly what happens. I can also get it to stall while parked. Just rev it to 3-4K and let off. Most times it will drop way below 500 RPM but bounce back to idle (~6-800?) but sometimes it will continue down, and the car will stall.

Is there some throttle position sensor that could be the problem? or maybe some idle control valve? Just thinking outloud...let me know what you think.

Heather
Old 12-02-2003, 09:52 AM

This is exactly what happens. I can also get it to stall while parked. Just rev it to 3-4K and let off. Most times it will drop way below 500 RPM but bounce back to idle (~6-800?) but sometimes it will continue down, and the car will stall.

Is there some throttle position sensor that could be the problem? or maybe some idle control valve? Just thinking outloud...let me know what you think.

Heather
Throttle Position sensor could be at fault (be warned, replacing that involves replacing the WHOLE THROTTLE BODY!!), IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) could also be at fault, and the Throttle Body could be dirty. All possible causes here. BTW, how's the power? Still running strong, or does it run a little weaker than it used to? (could be MAF sensor... I'd hesitate before blaming the ignition coils though)

If you want to clean the throttle body, use a rag with air intake/throttle body cleaner sprayed on it. Do NOT spray throttle body cleaner into the throttle body. Throttle body cleaner can possibly damage the throttle position sensor.

I do remember my 2000 5-speed used to stumble a bit from high-RPM to idle (stumbling down to 400rpm), but it never stalled... all that pretty much went away when I cleaned the throttle body (and cleaned the MAF sensor wire gently by spraying throttle body cleaner on it)
Old 12-02-2003, 10:02 AM
Banned

Clean the throttle body! I have a 2000 SE 5spd, which had similar problems - rpm drop and sometimes stall.

Buy a bottle of Throttle Body cleaner, remove the air intake to expose the throttle body. Place rag under the TB (to collect runoff). Spray liberally while the valve is closed. Wipe clean. Open valve, spray solvent on rag and wipe inside with rag. I never sprayed the TB while the valve was open. When clean, reassemble.

Completely fixed the problem for me. When engaging the clutch or dropping into neutral from high rpms (or whenever), the rpms drop to about 1k and then gently/slowly lower to about 650 - idle. Car seems more responsive as well. It's an easy and cheap fix to try yourself before anything else.

Props to CCx and the rest of the forum for walking me through this.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by dave
Clean the throttle body! I have a 2000 SE 5spd, which had similar problems - rpm drop and sometimes stall.

Buy a bottle of Throttle Body cleaner, remove the air intake to expose the throttle body. Place rag under the TB (to collect runoff). Spray liberally while the valve is closed. Wipe clean. Open valve, spray solvent on rag and wipe inside with rag. I never sprayed the TB while the valve was open. When clean, reassemble.

Completely fixed the problem for me. When engaging the clutch or dropping into neutral from high rpms (or whenever), the rpms drop to about 1k and then gently/slowly lower to about 650 - idle. Car seems more responsive as well. It's an easy and cheap fix to try yourself before anything else.

Props to CCx and the rest of the forum for walking me through this.
Do NOT spray liberally inside the throttle body! (closed OR open)
You may get away with it, but if the Throttle Position Sensor goes bad... good luck

It's not too much effort to take everything apart and just wipe the chamber & throttle plate (especially the edges) with a solvent-soaked rag...
Old 12-02-2003, 10:41 AM

It has only happened a few times (5-6-7) in 3 years. I have learned to blip the throttle on the rev-down phase. (not fun loosing power brakes and power steering comming off the highway!)

But the symptoms described: drop to 400-300 RPM with a bounce back (or stall in this case)

I have never had it happen parked or at low speed, only at high speed, and the higher the speed the more likely it seems to do it.

It hasn't done it to me in a year, I have a work around, and I don't feel like being abused by the dealer, so I live with it.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:53 AM
Banned

Do NOT spray liberally inside the throttle body! (closed OR open)
You may get away with it, but if the Throttle Position Sensor goes bad... good luck

It's not too much effort to take everything apart and just wipe the chamber & throttle plate (especially the edges) with a solvent-soaked rag...

ok, worked for me, but best to be safe.

anyway, try cleaning the throttle body to resolve this issue.

where is the Throttle Position Sensor located?
Old 12-02-2003, 10:55 AM

Looking into the throttle, the TPS should be on the right side... I think it's riveted into the throttle body?
Old 12-02-2003, 11:23 AM
Banned

Looking into the throttle, the TPS should be on the right side... I think it's riveted into the throttle body?
behind the butterfly valve? about three inches? (guessing from memory)
Old 12-02-2003, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by dave
behind the butterfly valve? about three inches? (guessing from memory)
I'd imagine part of it should be next to the butterfly valve (outside of the chamber)... since the butterfly valve's center rod turns the TPS.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:35 AM
Got Bent?

TPS is bolted to the TB on the backside towards the firewall. It has two connectors on it.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:42 AM
Banned

ok thanks, i'll take care with it as i see cleaning the tb on a regular basis (~every 30K)
Old 12-02-2003, 11:44 AM
CCx

Happened to me when I first got the car (35k mi), a couple of times right before turning and made for some interesting turns while car is off, figuring out what was going on, trying not to crash into something and restarting the car and completing the turn all in one motion....anyway, another drop in the bucket for the cleaning throttle body suggestion, probably the easiest, cheapest, most effective stab at a solution that will probably fix your problem....do it soon, you don't want to get caught in an intersection with a stalled car....ruh roh!
Old 12-02-2003, 12:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I'll try that and I'll let you know if I need more help!