5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stillen header dyno numbers!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 07:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Stillen header dyno numbers!!

Ok here's the lowdown on my 3 runs from yesterday. The first 2 runs were pretty much the same with both yeilding 221hp, 225tq, the 3rd run yeilded 227hp, 231tq. I'm not pleased with the first 2 runs, but the 3rd is a little better. Overall I'm happy, but at the same time I'm dissapointed. The numbers were good, but they don't show the gains that I was expecting. Especially, if you think about how each product gives there claim of dyno numbers. It doesn't add up. Even if you go off the lowest numbers from each of the company's claims I'm still around 12 hp off. Which obvouisly would come from the headers. Given that a stock Maxima dyno's somewhere around 200-205whp this means that the claims from each companies is almost dead on except for the headers. Going from 200-205whp stock, you add 5hp for the Stillen rear section, 5hp for the Udp, and 10 for the Injen CAI. This means the headers yeilded between 2-7hp....where's the other 12-17hp. Anyway if your thinking about headers, I would advise you to reconsider. Until me, Will and Studman find out what is causing the loss. I would reccomend staying away from wasting $900. By the way you can also see the graphs by going to my homepage and clicking on page 7.

Old 11-09-2003, 07:46 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

thanks for the update. Between you, will and studman, i for one will not be getting $tillen headers. Lots of us appreciate all the time, $$ spent on dynos! thanks!

Old 11-09-2003, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
thanks for the update. Between you, will and studman, i for one will not be getting $tillen headers. Lots of us appreciate all the time, $$ spent on dynos! thanks!
Um, I think people actually get their car dynoed for there own benefit and not for us, right?...

Unless it's some type of new charity thing I didn't know about...

G
Old 11-09-2003, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by 02MaXiMa_GLE
Um, I think people actually get their car dynoed for there own benefit and not for us, right?...

G
True, but if somebody can get some insite into what mods do what from my dyno numbers, then I'm glad to have helped them.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:18 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by 02MaXiMa_GLE

G

If we dynoed our cars for just our benefit, we woulnd't post the info here . This is called consumer awareness, and sometimes it takes the proverbial sacrifice of others to get the correct information out about certain products available to the consumer...

The sacrifice for the headers is time and money, so learn this lesson well. If we get several more dynos of the headers (on a Dynojet, I must add...) and they continue to show either a loss OR significantly lower gains that what are advertised by Stillen, then there should be some kind of compensation for the ones that purchased the headers. Also, this would warn potential consumers of the alleged false advertisement claims of Stillen about the headers...

Catch my drift?
Old 11-09-2003, 09:19 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by 1BADMAX
Ok here's the lowdown on my 3 runs from yesterday. The first 2 runs were pretty much the same with both yeilding 221hp, 225tq, the 3rd run yeilded 227hp, 231tq. I'm not pleased with the first 2 runs, but the 3rd is a little better. Overall I'm happy, but at the same time I'm dissapointed. The numbers were good, but they don't show the gains that I was expecting. Especially, if you think about how each product gives there claim of dyno numbers. It doesn't add up. Even if you go off the lowest numbers from each of the company's claims I'm still around 12 hp off. Which obvouisly would come from the headers. Given that a stock Maxima dyno's somewhere around 200-205whp this means that the claims from each companies is almost dead on except for the headers. Going from 200-205whp stock, you add 5hp for the Stillen rear section, 5hp for the Udp, and 10 for the Injen CAI. This means the headers yeilded between 2-7hp....where's the other 12-17hp. Anyway if your thinking about headers, I would advise you to reconsider. Until me, Will and Studman find out what is causing the loss. I would reccomend staying away from wasting $900. By the way you can also see the graphs by going to my homepage and clicking on page 7.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...50_99_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...0_101_full.jpg

Man, I'm truly sorry that your gains were not what they should be. This is just a continuation in the disturbing trend of aftermarket companies making claims that don't add up in the real world...
Old 11-09-2003, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
If we dynoed our cars for just our benefit, we woulnd't post the info here . This is called consumer awareness, and sometimes it takes the proverbial sacrifice of others to get the correct information out about certain products available to the consumer...

The sacrifice for the headers is time and money, so learn this lesson well. If we get several more dynos of the headers (on a Dynojet, I must add...) and they continue to show either a loss OR significantly lower gains that what are advertised by Stillen, then there should be some kind of compensation for the ones that purchased the headers. Also, this would warn potential consumers of the alleged false advertisement claims of Stillen about the headers...

Catch my drift?
Yup. Just a little bit of AM humor

G
Old 11-09-2003, 10:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

damn that sux.....are u going to call stillen?
Old 11-09-2003, 10:41 AM

man that is extremely beat...i was ready to go and order my headers until i read about wills ordeal. this is honestly really depressing...u should definately contact stillen (not knowing much good that will do) and just prove ur point...or flip out (which i would do) and maybe theyll hook u up with something...how can a major company like stillen screw up this bad....that ****es me off....o well...hopefully some company will produce headers better headers eventually....i was thinking about just getting a y pipe for now but i want my car to b street legal and popping that **** off would be such a pain in the ***....just venting peace
Old 11-09-2003, 11:09 AM

I highly doubt the UDP gave you 5hp. I would be more likely to believe 2-3 max. Also the 10hp on the Injen is tough for me to believe to. I would be more confident in say 7hp. Of course those claimed numbers could be peak gain from anywhere on the rpm range so they would not necessarily "stack". I beleive your information is unreliable as to solid information on how the stillen headers perform. The only solid information would be how an 02 or 03 auto would perform with that same set up. You cannot truely claim to know the hp gain from the headers becuase you did not do a "before" dyno.

Using my numbers:
biggest possible estimated gain: 227-200-2-7= 18hp
smallest possible estimated gain: 221-205-3-7= 6hp

Using your numbers:
BPEG: 227-200-5-10= 12hp
SPEG: 221-205-5-10= 1hp

As you can see the variance is huge, but that is all you can reliably claim. I would be more likely to beleive the numbers I stated which would then indicate the headers giving you an estimated 12hp, which is lower than what Stillen claims but close. And again your peak hp might not be where Stillin claims the PEAK GAIN to be. But again I would like to say that this is all estimation becuase we do not have any reliable "before" data.

Dont pass judgement on the Stillen Headers yet becuase I feel we do not have ANY reliable data on them yet. Whe have had dynos from 2 cars that the owners stated "werent running right", a couple of positive butt dynos, and a dyno with nothing to compare it to. Unless I missed something I would have to definitively say NO RELIABLE data is available yet. Currently I beleive you are all jumping to conclusions.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:10 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by bgates1654
I highly doubt the UDP gave you 5hp. I would be more likely to believe 2-3 max. Also the 10hp on the Injen is tough for me to believe to. I would be more confident in say 7hp. Of course those claimed numbers could be peak gain from anywhere on the rpm range so they would not necessarily "stack". I beleive your information is unreliable as to solid information on how the stillen headers perform. The only solid information would be how an 02 or 03 auto would perform with that same set up. You cannot truely claim to know the hp gain from the headers becuase you did not do a "before" dyno.

Using my numbers:
biggest possible estimated gain: 227-200-2-7= 18hp
smallest possible estimated gain: 221-205-3-7= 6hp

Using your numbers:
BPEG: 227-200-5-10= 12hp
SPEG: 221-205-5-10= 1hp

As you can see the variance is huge, but that is all you can reliably claim. I would be more likely to beleive the numbers I stated which would then indicate the headers giving you an estimated 12hp, which is lower than what Stillen claims but close. And again your peak hp might not be where Stillin claims the PEAK GAIN to be. But again I would like to say that this is all estimation becuase we do not have any reliable "before" data.

Dont pass judgement on the Stillen Headers yet becuase I feel we do not have ANY reliable data on them yet. Whe have had dynos from 2 cars that the owners stated "werent running right", a couple of positive butt dynos, and a dyno with nothing to compare it to. Unless I missed something I would have to definitively say NO RELIABLE data is available yet. Currently I beleive you are all jumping to conclusions.

Do you have the headers? If so, have you done baseline (before headers) and after headers dynos? If not, then you have nothing to add but conjecture and speculations. We're the one's spending our hard earned money buying these products and paying for the dyno runs. We're the ones going to swap the headers to another car in a perfect state of tune and test them on the dyno again. Until you actually have something useful to contribute, please post no further.

Everyone who has dynoed has had problems (HP/TQ lost) or significantly lower than advertised HP and TQ gains. As one of the extreme technically minded folks here, I'd say that sthis hows a disturbing trend. Will's car has a hesitation glitch, yes, but the glitch isn't where he's having the huge loss of power (over 4K RPM). The loss of power seems to appear right when or slightly after the secondaries open up. This could be due to ECU overcompensation, in which case Stillen is lying out their a$$ about the gains they got. Supposedly they have "over 100 dynos" with gains on a stock exhaust (other than their headers) Maxima. Their 19 HP gain (over a stock 205 average) would put people at 224 WHP (with a stock exhaust setup) on average. But do recall the fact that Will's '02 SE made 228 WHP & 236 WTQ with the HKS rear, 2.5" B pipe, RT high flow catalytic convertor, and someone's Y pipe (whether it's Warpspeed's or Cattman's, I don't know...I'll have to ask). Look at 1BADMAX's very last dyno. That's the one that closest to where it should be. But in my eyes (and according to Stillen's dyno claims), he's anywhere from 10-15 WHP short of where he should be. TQ is also pi$$ poor across the board (in my not so humble opinion). Don't let you like of a certain name brand blind you into buying something that so far has been proven not to work...
Old 11-09-2003, 07:29 PM
Wild at Hurt

Hot Shots look similar right? Only big diff is the 02 sensors ore moved downstream of the main cat.
Removing the precats and putting the 02's back in before the main cat would cause them to read more 02 than they are used to (at least I think so because it would cause less of the o2 to become co).
And it is going way rich which would be the case if this theory has merit.
Hate to see you guys do all this swapping, that is a hell of a lot of work. To get some threaded ports welded behind the cat could'nt cost that much and it would be easier than the swapping. Not too hard to plug up later.

Stillens black box is a fit in this scenario as well (o2 upstream information not being manipulated to mimick downstream info).

If somebody has suggested this before, i missed it and am sorry.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:53 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by Mick Max
Hot Shots look similar right? Only big diff is the 02 sensors ore moved downstream of the main cat.
Removing the precats and putting the 02's back in before the main cat would cause them to read more 02 than they are used to (at least I think so because it would cause less of the o2 to become co).
And it is going way rich which would be the case if this theory has merit.
Hate to see you guys do all this swapping, that is a hell of a lot of work. To get some threaded ports welded behind the cat could'nt cost that much and it would be easier than the swapping. Not too hard to plug up later.

Stillens black box is a fit in this scenario as well.

I somebody has suggested this before, i missed it and am sorry.

We might try unplugging the stupid black box...just to see what it does. And switching headers to another car actually won't be that bad (we'll have a lift and all the tools/help we need). I can guarantee you that none of us are going to buy another set just to test
Old 11-09-2003, 08:09 PM

We might try unplugging the stupid black box...just to see what it does. And switching headers to another car actually won't be that bad (we'll have a lift and all the tools/help we need). I can guarantee you that none of us are going to buy another set just to test
Well I'm going to dyno the car here in another couple of weeks. I'm going to be getting a Greddy E-manage system from Studman and he's going to install it and tune it. I talked one of my friends, brother who is in the process of getting his mechanical engineering degree. He told me that it appears that from my dyno that since the 3rd run jumped up 5hp, 5tq. That it seems my ecu was just starting to learn again after I reset it, since I had reset it only 2 miles from the dyno. He told me to dyno the car again in Orlando and get my Studman to tune it with the E-manage and that may possibly fix the problem. Anyway, I hope he's right and if he is then I should actually get 240hp. But, I'm defeintly not going to get my hopes up.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:13 PM

i did tonight. it feels faster to me but we all know how trusting A$$ dynos are. tomorrow driving to school i will definately be able to tell if there is a diff. i just disconnected the ground wire. NO SES light. i dont get it.

will
Old 11-09-2003, 11:24 PM

But do recall the fact that Will's '02 SE made 228 WHP & 236 WTQ with the HKS rear, 2.5" B pipe, RT high flow catalytic convertor, and someone's Y pipe (whether it's Warpspeed's or Cattman's, I don't know...I'll have to ask).

all of that is correct except i had a Stock y-pipe hehehe!

will
Old 11-10-2003, 03:54 AM

ok now reset the ecu with witohut the black box being attached. I noticed when i was attached, when i reset it the ecu it didnt reset as it doesuyssaully by blinking 10 time fast the repeating this pattern. With the black box i reset it and its blink maybe 10 times then it does not repeat the pattern and the light stays on until i restart my car.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:21 AM

Well 1BADMAX's plots don't have that strange dip like Will's does, but the AF goes rich at 4.8k and that when the TQ starts dropping. That's also where the HP flattens out some.

My car had a Warpspeed B w/res and a flowmaster 50 series (I also added another 12" res to the B), a Firm Fab. mid pipe with a $tillen Pop for the intake & UDP, everything else is stock, when I dyno'd with Will last month. My numbers were HP 212.xx & TQ 231.xx.
The shop overlayed Will & my plots for us to look at and up untill his dip they were like carbon copies...

I have since put the Frank mid back in which uses the stock MAF tube with the screen. I have not been back to test again yet. I felt my HP numbers were a bit low for the TQ I am pulling.

Will, why don't you go get some new plus today and come over to my house tonight or tomorrow and lets put'em in. With 60K as hard as you've pushed it I bet there toast. They need to be done anyway so lets see if that helps.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:09 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by maximaman777
Well 1BADMAX's plots don't have that strange dip like Will's does, but the AF goes rich at 4.8k and that when the TQ starts dropping. That's also where the HP flattens out some.

My car had a Warpspeed B w/res and a flowmaster 50 series (I also added another 12" res to the B), a Firm Fab. mid pipe with a $tillen Pop for the intake & UDP, everything else is stock, when I dyno'd with Will last month. My numbers were HP 212.xx & TQ 231.xx.
The shop overlayed Will & my plots for us to look at and up untill his dip they were like carbon copies...

I have since put the Frank mid back in which uses the stock MAF tube with the screen. I have not been back to test again yet. I felt my HP numbers were a bit low for the TQ I am pulling.

Will, why don't you go get some new plus today and come over to my house tonight or tomorrow and lets put'em in. With 60K as hard as you've pushed it I bet there toast. They need to be done anyway so lets see if that helps.
Adam, where do you live? PM me you address and # so I can get you into my phone. I told will the same thing about changing the plugs (just come over and get it done)...
Old 11-10-2003, 11:26 AM

For what it's worth, here's another thread about an Altima make 251 whp after the Hotshot header install.

http://www.nissantalk.com/forum/show...hreadid=130358
Old 11-10-2003, 11:27 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by 03BlkSETE
For what it's worth, here's another thread about an Altima make 251 whp after the Hotshot header install.

http://www.nissantalk.com/forum/show...hreadid=130358

Thanks for depressing me even more...
Old 11-10-2003, 02:05 PM

Thanks for depressing me even more...
oh, god-
Old 11-10-2003, 02:31 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...33_85_full.jpg

Not to nit pick, but STD vs. SAE correction and a mobile dyno?

The pessimist side of me is doubting those numbers would be the norm. Any stock dynos or somewhat stock dynos from that day to use for comparison?
Old 11-10-2003, 02:38 PM

You guys are going to uninstall Wills headers and then install/uninstall on Adams' car?

If so, and PLEASE get Adams' car dynoed BEFORE, then after to nip this in the butt once and for all.

I'll give $25 to whoever is paying, if that's the plan.

Adam, where do you live? PM me you address and # so I can get you into my phone. I told will the same thing about changing the plugs (just come over and get it done)...
Old 11-10-2003, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
You guys are going to uninstall Wills headers and then install/uninstall on Adams' car?

If so, and PLEASE get Adams' car dynoed BEFORE, then after to nip this in the butt once and for all.

I dyno'd the same day as Will. (The 1st time 10/14/03) HP 212.6 TQ 231.7.
I've since gone from a Firm Fab/$tillen Pop back to the Frank/$tillen, no other changes. I may dyno again donno.

We are going to change out Will's plugs 1st. and I hope he gets his ECU reflashed by the dealer. He's talked about a TS reflash but I think he's short on cash. Will--> <--$tillen

If after the new plugs there's still no improvement I think we'll do the swap, I'm hoping to get use of the shop Sat. if not early next week if we all can get together...
Old 11-10-2003, 02:57 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

I'll give up $25 as well. hit me up with a PM to mail a check too. You guys are great for going thru all this BS!!!

As for the ALTIs #...seems high, the one guy has all the same mods and put down about 10-15 LESS HP...so, i think the mobile dyno is off. Then again, i never know what the hell im talkin about!

Old 11-10-2003, 03:01 PM

My previous offer still stands to help with $ for the dyno.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
I'll give up $25 as well. hit me up with a PM to mail a check too. You guys are great for going thru all this BS!!!

As for the ALTIs #...seems high, the one guy has all the same mods and put down about 10-15 LESS HP...so, i think the mobile dyno is off. Then again, i never know what the hell im talkin about!

The Alti numbers do seem high but even if they're 10-15 hp off the put the range at 236-241 which is probably the results we should be getting with a 6 speed.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:15 PM

Thanks guys for offers the help with funds for the dyno's.
At 100 bones a crack for 3 runs with A/F it adds up quick. We'll stay in touch
Old 11-10-2003, 03:49 PM

Due to the inconsistencies of the dynos(and differences of dyno systems used) the only
hard evidence that these headers make good power is that Juice ran the quarter faster than he
ever has- thats evidence enough that the product
works - It will be hard to tell if the gains are what Stillen claims-
I would like to know if an org member has improved their 1/4 times w/ the Cattman Y- If so by how much?
This would conclude whether spending a $1000
for headers is worth it, Or spending $350 for the Y
would be "smarter" (same performance increase/less noise/less $$$$)
Regardless if Alty's are pumping out 250+ hp from HS headers, there is no excuse why Stillen's are not
yielding similar power increase(product flaw)
Good luck guys!
Old 11-10-2003, 03:56 PM

These numbers don't look too good. My car dynoed 221hp/230tq with just an intake and exhaust.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:57 PM

These numbers don't look too good. My car dynoed at 221hp/230tq with just an intake and catback.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:15 PM

I am starting to think that Black box may be affecting everyones power. I never installed it when I ran my best times and have not installed it since. It has been 5 weeks with no check engine light. To all of you who dynoed like crap..DO YOU HAVE THE BLACK BOX INSTALLED?
Old 11-10-2003, 05:10 PM

Ok...

IceY2K1 = $25
92 SE-R 02 SE = $25
03BlkSETE = $??

Rest of you guys NEED to help these guys out. This is the ONLY way we'll get to the bottom of this and the rest of you will either A)Have another mod to buy or B)Save $900 and go buy a ypipe or TS ECU or both.

Time to cough it up IS NOW!!!!! No reason Will, Quicksilver, and maximaman777 should pay for all this themselves when SO MANY of you are supposedly interested. Bandwagoneers NEED to jump on board or I say let them keep whatever they find out to THEMSELVES.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:12 PM

I feel a PAY-PER-VIEW thread may be coming to a forum near you.

OT access anyone?
Old 11-10-2003, 05:14 PM

disconnect the dam module it pulls harder and no lgiht comes on. Stillen is full of Sh$$. Also i can reset my ecu and it works now without it on. Its easy just disconnect the ground. also I will be dynoing tomarrow.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:16 PM

DynoJet glen?

Originally Posted by glen1685
disconnect the dam module it pulls harder and no lgiht comes on. Stillen is full of Sh$$. Also i can reset my ecu and it works now without it on. Its easy just disconnect the ground. also I will be dynoing tomarrow.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:59 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
Due to the inconsistencies of the dynos(and differences of dyno systems used) the only
hard evidence that these headers make good power is that Juice ran the quarter faster than he
ever has- thats evidence enough that the product
works - It will be hard to tell if the gains are what Stillen claims-
I would like to know if an org member has improved their 1/4 times w/ the Cattman Y- If so by how much?
This would conclude whether spending a $1000
for headers is worth it, Or spending $350 for the Y
would be "smarter" (same performance increase/less noise/less $$$$)
Regardless if Alty's are pumping out 250+ hp from HS headers, there is no excuse why Stillen's are not
yielding similar power increase(product flaw)
Good luck guys!
1BADMAX, WILLSE, and studman all used the same exact type dyno (with WILLSE, 1BADMAX, and maximaman777 using the same exact dyno in the same exact location). I'd say that's pretty damn scientific and lays waste to your claims of inconsistencies...
Old 11-10-2003, 06:15 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

1BADMAX, WILLSE, and studman all used the same exact type dyno (with WILLSE, 1BADMAX, and maximaman777 using the same exact dyno in the same exact location). I'd say that's pretty damn scientific and lays waste to your claims of inconsistencies...
im still willing to help out..send me a PM and the funds are on the way! :-)

Old 11-10-2003, 06:26 PM

Ok...

IceY2K1 = $25
92 SE-R 02 SE = $25
03BlkSETE = $??

Rest of you guys NEED to help these guys out. This is the ONLY way we'll get to the bottom of this and the rest of you will either A)Have another mod to buy or B)Save $900 and go buy a ypipe or TS ECU or both.

Time to cough it up IS NOW!!!!! No reason Will, Quicksilver, and maximaman777 should pay for all this themselves when SO MANY of you are supposedly interested. Bandwagoneers NEED to jump on board or I say let them keep whatever they find out to THEMSELVES.
Put me down for $25 also.

Quick Reply: Stillen header dyno numbers!!