5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone else had their HLSD stop working?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 03:42 PM

Anyone else had their HLSD stop working?

I got an appointment at the dealer tomorrow to have them take a look at my car for a few things. Probably most notable would be the HLSD not working.

When I first had the car I could tell the HLSD was working. Now I can tell it's not working.

For example, before I could have 1 tire on ice and 1 tire on pavement. From a stop the car would still accelerate normally. Now, with one tire on pavement and one tire on wet grass I just spin the wheel on the grass and move forward slowly

Anyone else noticed this?
Old 10-28-2003, 03:50 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

do you have a 6-speed or auto?
Old 10-28-2003, 03:54 PM
IgS

Originally Posted by maximadave
the car has HLSD if its a 2k2+ 6 speed and has the AE pedals right?
Old 10-28-2003, 03:55 PM

The HLSD only comes with 6 speed equipped cars. Automatic Cars get Traction Control. Unfortunately, my 6 speed does not have HLSD so I can't really help you in that regard.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:00 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally Posted by IgS
the car has HLSD if its a 2k2+ 6 speed and has the AE pedals right?
right! Just curious if Stereodude knows if he has HLSD or not.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:49 PM

right! Just curious if Stereodude knows if he has HLSD or not.
It does (2k2 6speed w/ AE pedals). I ordered it with it and I was able to verfy it on many occasions while driving. Now, in those same occasions it behaves like it doesn't have one.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:38 AM

Well... The cars at the dealer today. We'll see what they say.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:46 AM
VQ Wizard

I think mine sometimes has a slower response time than is did but I have no proof. But it never completely stopped working.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:29 PM

HLSD? How Do You Know?

Is there a way to check out of your Maxima has the HLSD? I brought a 2003 Maxima SE 6 Speed and I am not sure if it does or not? is there a websight that you can punch in your VIN# and see? Also How do you find out if you have heated mirrors. The manual they gave me was just a basic manual!! If this helps I also have power seats(both) Heated Seats (both) Heated Steering Wheel.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
I think mine sometimes has a slower response time than is did but I have no proof. But it never completely stopped working.
The dealer says they can't verify/duplicate the problem. I still think that it's not working right/broken. I can spin the outside wheel in a corner when I couldn't before.

Anyone know how hard it is to open up the tranny and have a look?
Old 10-29-2003, 03:04 PM

does anyone know a 100%, officially varified way to test if your car has HLSD/if your HLSD is working?

the "jack up the car and spin the tire" technique seems to be just speculation. does anyone know for sure?
Old 10-29-2003, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Newman
does anyone know a 100%, officially varified way to test if your car has HLSD/if your HLSD is working?

the "jack up the car and spin the tire" technique seems to be just speculation. does anyone know for sure?

Rev it up to 6.5k and drop the clutch? Does it leave two tire marks(working), or one(not working)?
Old 10-29-2003, 06:02 PM

My dad and I are trying to come up with a definitive test. I'm wondering about a Dyno where the dyno bolts to the wheels on each side rather than a drum. If they can increase the rolling resistance on one side a lot they should be able to tell (I'd think). Problem is I need a fully functional HLSD car to prove that mine is abnormal.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:10 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by Stereodude
The dealer says they can't verify/duplicate the problem. I still think that it's not working right/broken. I can spin the outside wheel in a corner when I couldn't before.

Anyone know how hard it is to open up the tranny and have a look?
When can the dealer ever duplicate the problem? That's pretty funny because the only way they can do it is to peg leg around a corner like you do.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:11 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by Newman

That does not apply to a helical unit. It only works with torque applied to the ring gear. Up on a lift it behaves just like an open diff.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

try spinning it the tires faster, they are designed to have some slip in them, otherwise it you would break loose on every turn you make. It might also need to be adjusted, but I dont completely know the difference between the HLSD and VLSD's.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Stereodude, I have HLSD and have verified it in many instances.
If I put one tire on grass/gravel and one on pavement and floor it, the tire on the pavement will start pulling actually to the point where u get wheel hop ONLY from THAT tire on the pavement. Mine does that all day. That's the for sure way of checking it. In a corner, you can also tell. Just point the wheel and floor it in a low gear. When LSD kicks in, u can practically let go of the wheel because it's going to stay in the direction it's pointing until the other tire gets traction back. It kicks in so fast that the tire that's on gravel or whatever never even starts to spin.

HCT67, check and see if you have drilled aluminum pedals. If you do, then you probably have LSD. Then, do the above i mentionned and you'll be able to tell. If u don't have the pedals, u don't have LSD. Only two ways to get HLSD as an option; basically as the only option after the sunroof, or once the car is fully loaded with every option available except nav. Basically if u starts adding options after the sunroof, HLSD doesn't become available again until loaded. When i was looking for mine, i was looking for HLSD, and that's what i found out.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by sorcereur
Stereodude, I have HLSD and have verified it in many instances.
If I put one tire on grass/gravel and one on pavement and floor it, the tire on the pavement will start pulling actually to the point where u get wheel hop ONLY from THAT tire on the pavement. Mine does that all day. That's the for sure way of checking it. In a corner, you can also tell. Just point the wheel and floor it in a low gear. When LSD kicks in, u can practically let go of the wheel because it's going to stay in the direction it's pointing until the other tire gets traction back. It kicks in so fast that the tire that's on gravel or whatever never even starts to spin.

Hope this helps.
Sorcereur, I've also verified mine in many instances. That how I know it's not working anymore. It doesn't behave and drive like it used to. I did the tire on the grass/dirt test the other day, and I was able to spin the tire on the grass and not really move.

SR20DEN and myself discussed a few ways of testing it where it can be proven to the dealer. My current plan is to test my car and video tape the results showing one wheel spinning with the other wheel on a tractive surface while the car sits still. Of course I will need footage of another HLSD equipped car moving forward without wheelspin in the same situation. Otherwise the dealer will claim that the behavior I'm seeing is normal.

Hopefully I can get mine taped this weekend. Then I need to find another HLSD car in my area that I can repeat the test on. I think finding another one by me will be my problem.