5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: How many times have you had your BOSE HEADUNIT replaced BECAUSE IT MALFUNCTIONED?
Never
44.78%
Once
28.36%
Twice
14.93%
Three Times
5.97%
Four or more times
5.97%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

How many times have you had your Bose HEADUNIT replaced BECAUSE IT MALFUNTIONED

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 01:15 PM

How many times have you had your BOSE HEADUNIT replaced BECAUSE IT MALFUNCTIONED?

i know there is already a thread asking how many times people have replaced their Bose system but the results are kind of tainted because some people misunderstood the question.

this is for 2002 and 2003 owners who have the Bose 6 disc CD changer only.

How many times have you had to replace your factory Bose HEADUNIT because it was malfuntioning? NOT simply because you wanted an aftermarket system. and this does not include problems with blown subwoofers.

this does include the driver side speakers cutting out, discs getting stuck, not reading CDs, giving errors...etc...

Please vote and please tell what malfunctioned.

Thanks
ps. i know i forgot the C in "malfunctioned" in my thread title.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:16 PM
It's chrome alright...

o, zero, nada, never, not once
Old 10-23-2003, 01:17 PM

i'm bringing mine to the dealer in a couple of weeks. The left side speakers don't work when playing a CD. Sometimes when I hit a bump they come on only to go off again upon hitting another bump. Very frustrating. I always use the IPod with the cassette adapter nowadays anyhow, but I still want to get it fixed.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:21 PM

are the 2k/2k1 Bose systems better then the 2k2/2k3? cuz i swear my 01 just sounds SOO much better then my 02 and i have Bose on both cars
Old 10-23-2003, 01:24 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

i had mine replaced once already for the entire left side not working. WOrked well for a few weeks, now CDs just skip. BLOSE. Time to upgrade the POS...

Old 10-23-2003, 01:32 PM

I had mine replaced under the TSB for the left side cut out. The new one seems to be working properly.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:34 PM
NT2SHBBY

had it replaced...then ripped it out to replace with aftermarket......

wanted my sirius to sound better....FM modded satellite radio sucks bigtime

Old 10-23-2003, 02:34 PM

mine is still original ..no problems thus far
Old 10-23-2003, 03:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

im on my 2nd one now and my 3rd one is stil on order...been goin weeks without a cdplayer now...they replaced it for the left side breakin out now the whole cd just dont play
Old 10-23-2003, 03:28 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I'm on my 2nd Blose head unit and it seems to skip more often now and jam once in a while. Time to make another trip to the dealer
Old 10-23-2003, 04:48 PM

thnkn about it if you count the times the dealer ordered the wrong radio ie: non titanium edition this would be my 5th radio
Old 10-23-2003, 05:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The bose in my Max hasn't worked right from day 1. I'm hesitant to take it in since many have said that when they've had theirs replaced, it still didn't work right.

I took my system out of my old car to put in the Max. But, when I bought the car, I really liked the in dash changer. Now, I'll just put my system in the Max since the left side speakers usually don't work.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:13 PM

the service guy is a prety decent guy hes the only dealer arond here that i can treat with respect he told me that those that are replaced the ones we get new...are actually rebuilt ones that been sent back
Old 10-23-2003, 05:17 PM

i just replaced mine with a 7-inch TV.. that works fine with any malfunctions.. heh heh heh.. TV is the best while driving but dangerous at the same time.. hehe
Old 10-23-2003, 09:29 PM

2003 GLE Replaced mine a week after i bought the car. CD player wouldn't load any cd's. It would just make some weird noise and then spit out the cd with some error code.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Newman
and this does not include problems with blown subwoofers.
Did the bose have a common problem with blown subs????
Old 10-24-2003, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Fezzik
Did the bose have a common problem with blown subs????
i dont think so but i noticed a couple people in the other thread mentioned that their subs blew. i wanted this poll just for the headunits. thats why i said that.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:04 AM

Iam on my 4th radio and tis one is messing up. This time iam going to go after market like I should have done in the first place.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by QUEDOG9
Iam on my 4th radio and tis one is messing up. This time iam going to go after market like I should have done in the first place.
did you cast a vote? what has been the problem with your last 4 headunits?
Old 10-27-2003, 06:59 AM

just bumping it one time.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:10 AM

Once so far, but the replacement unit is acting weird in a different way. CDs 'squeal' and stop playing, causing me to have to switch to a different changer slot, and then back to the original CD, which will then usually play fine. I've noticed if I play the radio for 15 or so minutes first, the CD player won't act up, it's only if I start playing CDs within a few minutes of starting the car, without warming up the headunit. Next time I'm in for service, I'll ask for another replacement.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Pearltt
CD player wouldn't load any cd's. It would just make some weird noise and then spit out the cd with some error code.
Samething for me, will take it to the dealer in about a week.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:51 AM

Had mine replaced once (whirring from CD mechanism). Now have to replace it again (left side going).
Old 10-27-2003, 09:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by QUEDOG9
First let me say sorry that my Poll about this same topic was not specific enough. I never thought about people replacing the Headunit just because they wanted to.

Anyway, I would be on my 4th headunit, but the dealer ordered wrong trim (yep, I have titanium ed.) and now they are saying the trim is back ordered. I have talked to Nissan Customer service and have not gotten very far. They encouraged me to contact Clarion because that is who actually makes the headunit (not Bose, as other have pointed out).

I have talked to a lawyer and we feel this problem I am having, if it happens again, would fall under the North Carolina Lemon Law (at least we think it will). All I know, is I am not paying for a aftermarket headunit to be put into its place, NISSAN will I am not sure how yet, but my lawyer feels under the NC lemon Law they are REQUIRED to fix the problem (not keep fixing the problem with the same problem). This is BS and is a well known problem.

Has anyone had any luck with contacting Nissan or Clarion? Does anyone know if anyone has actually gotten Nissan (or the local dealer) to pay for an aftermarket head unit to be put in it's place? Thanks!

Edit: just for info, the first unit was replaced because it would start skipping and then change CD's. The second because the changer part actually broke and ate all the CD's. The third because the sound on the left side of the car keeps coming and going.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:57 AM

damn I thought it was just me too..recently my left side speaker started going out while playing CD's...thought it was my CD at first but its happening more often now with different ones also..scared to bring it in cause of my aftermarket amp and subs, think theyll void it for that??
Old 10-27-2003, 11:01 AM

I have an 02 se and I've gone through 5 radios already. I've heard that that particular radio isn't a fan of playing cdr's and that's pretty much what I play in my stereo- but it plays them. never-the-less, the radio sucks and it's embarassing to be going somewhere with friends or family and it take a dump on you while in-transit.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by TitaniuMax03
damn I thought it was just me too..recently my left side speaker started going out while playing CD's...thought it was my CD at first but its happening more often now with different ones also..scared to bring it in cause of my aftermarket amp and subs, think theyll void it for that??

they shouldnt void anything as the problem you are having is a known problem with the headunit itself. amps and subs shouldnt matter. if they try to say otherwise just print out this thread and show them that is has happened to many more people than just you.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:23 PM

2nd one here. CD player stopped reading intermittantly. The replacement has been fine so far. Also had the rear window noise TSB done and had to have the windshield replaced due to a flying stone that cracked it on the way to vacation in Myrlte Beach.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:49 PM

There is something definitely flawed with the CD unit. The left side going problem appears to only happen for CD's (and not just CD-R's). If I switch to the radio the sound comes back to normal. I've also noticed that sometimes if I really jar the car (big bump) the sound will go back to normal. Wish I had gotten the NAV setup as nobody with NAV seems to have the same problem plus it would be easier to replace the changer.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by ajahearn
There is something definitely flawed with the CD unit. The left side going problem appears to only happen for CD's (and not just CD-R's). If I switch to the radio the sound comes back to normal. I've also noticed that sometimes if I really jar the car (big bump) the sound will go back to normal. Wish I had gotten the NAV setup as nobody with NAV seems to have the same problem plus it would be easier to replace the changer.

if you give the headunit a nice little pound the drivers side speakers should come back on. its only a temperary solution but it does the job until you can have it replaced.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:15 PM

Had mine replaced once, it took about a year fro it to stop working (left side speakers cutting out). It took the dealershiop about a onth to get the cd player, but have not had a problem since.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:37 PM

I'm on my second head unit, but it's acting up again and it barely lasted a year, and now I'm out of the warranty period. Here's what I've been able to find out....
The dealer will send the radio to be fixed for $400. That includes a one year warranty.
I called Nissan Customer service, and they said I am beat as far as a free repair.
Spoke to Clarion... They will fix problem for $110, but only warranty unit for 90 DAYS.

BTW... The repair will take 2 to 3 weeks without shipping time back and forth to California (no radio for about a Month).

What a hassle!!! I'll never buy a Nissan again. I can't believe this is how they treat the customers who bought their FLAGSHIP MODEL!!!
Old 10-27-2003, 08:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The fourth replacement head unit fixed the problem so far. It took over six months and we were getting ready for a lemon law claim. The first one was the classic left side speakers dropping out intermittently at first and then nearly permanent. Head unit replacements one through three would not play any CDs. I was there when the dealer called the factory to find out why they were receiving bad units and they were told that they in fact new they were no good and that Clarion was having issues. They said order another one and hopefully the problems would be solved by then. My understanding it was a simple wiring connector that was poorly designed. The fourth unit has worked for the past year or so. Now if we can get paint to adhere and brakes and rotors as I now am finding out the brake pads are worn out and the rotors are warped and the dealer can fix it all for the low, low price of $390.00. All of this in less than two years and 24,000 miles. Yikes!!! The car is driven by my wife twelve miles one way to work with only two slow speed stops out of the neighborhood, three traffic lights that rarely stop you, no traffic on a four lane road the whole trip. The same trips in our previous 1996 Taurus SHO, the brake pads had 50,000 miles and no warped rotors when replaced. Also only a couple of paint chips over the same 76,000 miles versus the 50+ chips on the Maxima. Don't ask about all of the recalls, the vibrating hood, O2 sensors, etc. This is our first and last Nissan. We love the performance of the car, but the Quality is terrible. I would sell it but with the unbelievable depreciation I would take a beating and this is with the huge supplier discount we received because we work for the suppier of the ECU. Good luck on getting your Bose units replaced.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:25 PM

does anyone know where to find published info on the headunits that clarion makes? im mainly interested in something that translates the error codes. for instance when my display says "ERR CD F7" what is it telling me?
Old 11-02-2003, 11:13 PM

I've had my head unit replaced twice thus far. The Bose head unit is wack off this earth.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Never, but the sound sux with the sirius satellite. Well in my car it does anyway.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by mike_bresnahan
no problems with my 2k1.
this was meant for 2002/2003 only. but thanks for the input.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:21 PM

Mine went out this past Tuesday. Dealer has ordered part.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:31 PM

Does Bose own Clarion? It would be a misrepresentation to put on a Bose logo while in fact it is made by Clarion. I have compained about the inferior Bose headunit from day one. The sound is mediocre at best. My 97 GLE's Bose, now that is a REAL Bose, sounds much better.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had mine replaced once under warranty for the left side speakers going out when playing CDs.

You would think that Clarion would make a better piece of equipment than this.

Now that my replacement works, that only leaves me with two complaints about the radio (other than the mediocre sound quality)

- CD Text display - doesn't auto scroll, and only displays 8 characters at a time even though the display has 10 on it.

- SCV volume when listening to CDs - if you manually change tracks or when it jumps tracks if on random, the volume goes down to the 0mph level. If you then touch the volume (even down), it "remembers" where it should be (given that you are traveling 60 mph or whatever) and jumps back instantly to that level. Also, it jumps back when you cross an SCV adjustment threshold, which can kind of startle you (suddenly loud).

Seems like the engineers desiging this unit tested their final design for about 2 seconds then shipped it out the door. Lame!

Quick Reply: How many times have you had your Bose HEADUNIT replaced BECAUSE IT MALFUNTIONED