5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Now I know why they call him STUDMAN!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 07:09 PM

Now I know why they call him STUDMAN!!

It's because he is the biggest FRICKIN STUD ALIVE!!!!!

You may have seen my other post about the SRS Airbag light blinking... Man, what a nightmare... I was about to give in and take it to Nissan, pay them $80 (or more) and risk having my car f*cked up while it was in their pathetic hands....

BUT... after searching some more, I found a post by STUDMAN saying to contact him if this happens, and that he has "a technique" which one could try....

So I emailed him.. About an hour later he sends me back an email with his "technique".. What's interesting is this technique was quite different from the traditional "turn off ignition, open and close door 7 times within 10 seconds" kind of thing which everyone already knows about...

So tonight after work I go and try it...

HOLY F*CKING SH*T!!!! IT FREAKIN WORKED!!!!!!

I cannot thank him enough and I am posting this just so he can get the recognition he deserves!!!!

YOU DA MAN STUDMAN!!!! STUDMAN

Words cannot describe how happy I am now!!!!

Here's the technique, proven to work on 2003 Maxima (I'm sure this means 2000+)

Note: Timing is KEY, use a stopwatch if you have to.

1) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
2) After the AIRBAG warning lamp lights for 7 seconds and then goes out, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
3) Wait 4 seconds
4) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
5) After the AIRBAG warning lamp lights for 7 seconds and then goes out, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
6) Wait 4 seconds
7) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
8) After the AIRBAG warning lamp lights for 7 seconds and then goes out, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
9) Wait 4 seconds
10) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
11) Wait 3 seconds
12) Turn IGNITION off
13) Wait 2 seconds
14) START Car
15) Turn IGNITION off
16) Wait 2 seconds
17) START Car

AIRBAG warning lamp should blink for 7 seconds and then go out and never come back on. If it does, then you have a problem.

STUDMAN

Last edited by The Wizard; 07-24-2023 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:30 PM
CCx

haha, that's awesome that you finally got it to go away...the ORG flexes its muscles once again, good stuff
Old 09-09-2003, 07:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

thats a weird a$$ technique...but whatever works
Old 09-09-2003, 07:47 PM

Yeah, I just hope it actually reset the fault code and not something else (like disabling the SRS system altogether)...

I almost want to unplug it again to throw another code just to make sure it is working right, and then reset it again.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:48 PM
lcf

Old 09-09-2003, 08:05 PM

yeah i met jeremy aka studman, he seems to know nissans or maybe just cuz he owns 3 basically Three FLAGship models.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:03 PM

Studman Is The Shizznit!
Old 09-09-2003, 10:03 PM

Studman Is The Shizznit! Helped me clear my ECU multiple times.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:09 PM
I miss the .org!

He gave me some good info on stereo wiring stuff when I was still a newb Give credit where it's due...
Old 09-09-2003, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by 02MaximaSE
Studman Is The Shizznit! Helped me clear my ECU multiple times.
Is that what this does? I'm still wondering what the heck I actually did, even though it made my SRS light stop blinking..
Old 09-09-2003, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by maxcosity
Is that what this does? I'm still wondering what the heck I actually did, even though it made my SRS light stop blinking..

heh.. no, i've never needed the SRS thing done... im talking about clearing my SES light.. I've tried and tried, but he had the answer.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:35 PM

First off, there are 2 seperate procedures... mainly because there are 2 different ECUs (one main ECU and one Airbag SRS ECU). Obviously you can't use the same procedure to reset both ECUs, so they came up with this wacked-out messed-up way of doing it.

What's even better than this, I think I've figured out how Nissan came up with this idea. I hope you aren't offended by this:

Nissan is an (EOE) Equal Opportunity Employer. In being an EOE, they hire all types of people... black, white, Asian, Japanese, etc... including those with some type of challenge. These challenges are not limited to just the physical realm either. Do you remember the commericals that McDonalds' had back in the early 90s with the guy who had Down's Syndrome? Well, Nissan is similar to McDonalds' in that respect.

One day, while a programmer was writing code for the ECUs, his friend (Larry, who has some challenge) stopped by to chat. Now we all know that programmers have a weird sense of humor, as do movie makers, computer geeks, etc., so the programmer asks his friend Larry to describe how to operate a car. Larry then tells him that he gets in the car, turns the ignition on, waits for the airbag light to flash (because this is entertaining to Larry). When the light goes off, Larry turns off the car and does it again. Again, Larry is entertained by the light enough that when it finishes blinking, he turns the car off and on again. This time, he remembers that he can't start the car without his seatbelt on, so he turns off the car and buckles his seatbelt. He turns the ignition on again. He then remembers that you can't start the car with the doors unlocked, so he turns off the car and locks the doors. He finally turns on the car and starts it. Then he remembers that the cruise control feature was on. His momma told him that you should never start the car with the cruise control on because it causes the vacuum to fail prematurely. So he shuts off the car, turns off the cruise control, and starts the car again. Then he drives away.

The programmer was dumbfounded by this whole process. He decided that he'd make fun of Larry (as we all know we shouldn't do) and make the reset procedure for the ECU similar to Larry's procedure for driving the car.

And that is how the Airbag SRS Reset Procedure was created.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:53 AM

studman, Sorry to get "OT" but...How's the MAFS holding up??? Any word on an aftermarket MAFS for 02-03???...
Old 09-14-2003, 08:25 AM

clipse: I'm still working on it. I'm trying to talk to the company to see if I can get one made. I may have to send them one to start with, but I'm also still investigating to see if the MAF from the 350Z or Murano is of better quality than the Maxima MAF. Once I figure out which one to send them, it'll be a cost-comparison decision on their end to see if it's worth making. I'll keep you updated as I know more.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by studman
clipse: I'm still working on it. I'm trying to talk to the company to see if I can get one made. I may have to send them one to start with, but I'm also still investigating to see if the MAF from the 350Z or Murano is of better quality than the Maxima MAF. Once I figure out which one to send them, it'll be a cost-comparison decision on their end to see if it's worth making. I'll keep you updated as I know more.
studman,Thanks for the info. I've had my FrankenCar intake on for about 2 months. Since then I've only racked up closely to 1,000 miles with it on with no probs(still on the original MAFS) But I'm considering taking it off and putting back the stock air box on.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:43 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

OMFG this worked....and saved me a ton of stress and money. Thanks!
Old 12-10-2003, 05:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by studman
First off, there are 2 seperate procedures... mainly because there are 2 different ECUs (one main ECU and one Airbag SRS ECU). Obviously you can't use the same procedure to reset both ECUs, so they came up with this wacked-out messed-up way of doing it.

What's even better than this, I think I've figured out how Nissan came up with this idea. I hope you aren't offended by this:

Nissan is an (EOE) Equal Opportunity Employer. In being an EOE, they hire all types of people... black, white, Asian, Japanese, etc... including those with some type of challenge. These challenges are not limited to just the physical realm either. Do you remember the commericals that McDonalds' had back in the early 90s with the guy who had Down's Syndrome? Well, Nissan is similar to McDonalds' in that respect.

One day, while a programmer was writing code for the ECUs, his friend (Larry, who has some challenge) stopped by to chat. Now we all know that programmers have a weird sense of humor, as do movie makers, computer geeks, etc., so the programmer asks his friend Larry to describe how to operate a car. Larry then tells him that he gets in the car, turns the ignition on, waits for the airbag light to flash (because this is entertaining to Larry). When the light goes off, Larry turns off the car and does it again. Again, Larry is entertained by the light enough that when it finishes blinking, he turns the car off and on again. This time, he remembers that he can't start the car without his seatbelt on, so he turns off the car and buckles his seatbelt. He turns the ignition on again. He then remembers that you can't start the car with the doors unlocked, so he turns off the car and locks the doors. He finally turns on the car and starts it. Then he remembers that the cruise control feature was on. His momma told him that you should never start the car with the cruise control on because it causes the vacuum to fail prematurely. So he shuts off the car, turns off the cruise control, and starts the car again. Then he drives away.

The programmer was dumbfounded by this whole process. He decided that he'd make fun of Larry (as we all know we shouldn't do) and make the reset procedure for the ECU similar to Larry's procedure for driving the car.

And that is how the Airbag SRS Reset Procedure was created.
That's an interesting tale.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:11 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Man, how do you figure out stuff like that? You are a genius!
Old 03-31-2004, 10:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Studman - you da man!!! Thanks for saving me a bunch of $$$
Old 04-23-2004, 07:49 AM

I just wondered why the thing goes off? Mine finally went off and was wondering why, I mean I was just sitting still and as soon as a truck went by, it went off...just was wonderin if anyone took it to nissan and they said why
Old 04-23-2004, 11:02 AM

Very intersting reset procedire. Question I have why did that SRS light came on?
This is my 3rd Maxima and I never seen it come on.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Blinking Airbag Light

STUDMAN,
From what I've read you are the best! My airbag light has been blinking for about 2 years. I tried the shorter reset procedure and the light stopped blinking for a few days but then came back on. I took the car to have it checked and was told that the main airbag sensor unit would have to be replaced because when the mechanic hooked it to the computer, all the modules displayed errors.

We have purchased a diagnosis sensor unit but can't find the old one. Is it under the hood attached to the firewall, or is it one of the sensors inside the car? We are trying to do it ourselves and save money.

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:09 PM
scopium

someone should post this in the how-to section

Old 06-28-2004, 03:02 PM

jaguar is another weird one too, u can program the key fob through the headlight switch, maybe the programmer there had the same friend as the nissan programer..
but seriously, how do you find this info? it doesn't show on my esm
Old 06-28-2004, 05:36 PM

That tale reminds me a little bit of "handy man" The super hero from that "in living color" show in the 90s haha
Old 06-28-2004, 06:21 PM
Suspension Yoda

jeremy...u definitely helped me work out the kinks in my viper...thanks for the help man
to this thread
Old 06-28-2004, 07:43 PM

Also, thanks for the how tos on your site.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:45 PM

studman is the sh_t!!!!!

if your SRS AIRBAG LIGHT IS BLINKING.. THIS IS THE BEST FIX.. IT WORKS.. THANK YOU STUDMAN..
THANKS
DAVID

2) After the
AIRBAG
warning lamp lights for 7 seconds and then goes out, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
3) Wait 4 seconds
5) After the
AIRBAG
warning lamp lights for 7 seconds and then goes out, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
6) Wait 4 seconds
8) After the
AIRBAG
9) Wait 4 seconds
11) Wait 3 seconds
12) Turn IGNITION off
13) Wait 2 seconds
14) START Car
15) Turn IGNITION off
16) Wait 2 seconds
17) START Car

AIRBAG warning lamp should blink for 7 seconds and then go out and never come back on. If it does, then you have a problem.

STUDMAN
Old 02-23-2008, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by dandm42
if your SRS AIRBAG LIGHT IS BLINKING.. THIS IS THE BEST FIX.. IT WORKS.. THANK YOU STUDMAN..
THANKS
DAVID

2) After the
AIRBAG
3) Wait 4 seconds
5) After the
AIRBAG
6) Wait 4 seconds
8) After the
AIRBAG
9) Wait 4 seconds
11) Wait 3 seconds
12) Turn IGNITION off
13) Wait 2 seconds
14) START Car
15) Turn IGNITION off
16) Wait 2 seconds
17) START Car

STUDMAN
why are posting something that is already here?? dont post crap to get your 15 posts!
Old 02-24-2008, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by mylangrace
STUDMAN,
From what I've read you are the best! My airbag light has been blinking for about 2 years. I tried the shorter reset procedure and the light stopped blinking for a few days but then came back on. I took the car to have it checked and was told that the main airbag sensor unit would have to be replaced because when the mechanic hooked it to the computer, all the modules displayed errors.

We have purchased a diagnosis sensor unit but can't find the old one. Is it under the hood attached to the firewall, or is it one of the sensors inside the car? We are trying to do it ourselves and save money.

Thanks.
It is under the center console, there are write up on the org how to change it. Main thing to remember, remove the negative battery terminal before doing anything with electrical especially airbag cercuit.

I remember one time I worked with this guy a few years back, he had no clue what the hell he was doing, he decided to change the airbags himself. He did not unhook the battery, did things in the wrong sequence, anyways, he hooked up the srs module and with ignition on, went to hook up the driver wheel airbag, some how shorted the wires and the airbag blew up in his face. He was unconcious for a few minutes, when he came to it, his face was cherry red for a few days. So...be carefull with the airbag system.

You could do it yourself just make sure you follow the steps correctly, If you are unsure of yourself, ask someone to help you out.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:59 AM

congrats
Old 02-24-2008, 09:05 PM

wow this thread is old lol
Old 02-26-2008, 01:49 AM
Glory Glory Man United

Im glad this got bumped .. I try it today .. but didnt work .. on my 01 AE .. I hope i dont have to go to the stealership ...
Old 02-26-2008, 12:17 PM

thank god my srs airbag light is off xD
Old 02-27-2008, 02:55 PM

The max in your sig is sick man!

Originally Posted by K Pazzo 6
thats a weird a$$ technique...but whatever works
Old 03-10-2008, 04:50 PM

Thanx STUDMAN. This worked like a charm. I thought of going to the dealer before I found this thread. You need a timer in order to make this process easier.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:05 AM

In step 2 it states that after the warning light lights for 7 seconds it goes out...My light blinks after about 5 seconds? What gives...little confused?
Old 04-30-2008, 06:16 AM

Tears of joy..it did work!! Thanks for this site and especially this ancient thread.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:59 AM

Thank God I found this thread. No more blinking red light. Yes!!!!
Old 10-24-2008, 06:26 AM

WOW...those instructions worked like a charm!!! THANKS STUDMAN!!!

Quick Reply: Now I know why they call him STUDMAN!!