5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Vehicle Pinging (Detonation)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 11:57 PM

Vehicle Pinging (Detonation)

G'day,

I am having some problems and was wondering if someone might know what it is,

I have a 2002 Maxima and I get a pinging noise like the car is detonating, I have been to a Nissan dealer and they said that the 2002-2003 are known for this and that there is a TSB on this subject I have looked at the major auto sites including www.nhtsa.com but with no luck I this subject.

The dealer retarded the timing but A) It has not fixed the problem and B) I am not comfortable with this fix.

I would greatly appreciate it if some one would be able to help me on this.

Thanks in advance,

Old 08-13-2003, 03:54 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

join the club. Alot of us are having the same problem. What mods if any do you have?
Old 08-13-2003, 04:12 PM

I have a intake and catback exhuast, not to mutch yet,

I was having this problem before the modes and it seem to be getting worse or just more noticeable
Old 08-13-2003, 04:20 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

ditto.

My dealer tells me its my JWT intake and its sucking in hot dense air from the engine. My SES light came on last week and mysteriously turned off by itself this morning.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:27 PM

Seems like Nissan is still using crap coils. Nothing new. Hoy Hoy Hoy!
Old 08-14-2003, 02:59 AM

My stock 2K2 auto Max was also having some pinging when driving on level or nearly level ground and lightly accelerating.

I had them do the NTB03-023 TSB (they reflashed the engine computer and replaced the MAF sensor) and it seems to have mostly fixed it. When I took it in the 1st time (they wouldn't order the MAF sensor ahead of time for me), after leaving it for a day, they said that they'd need to replace it "when they're pinging like that". They did all the work after the MAF showed up and I brought it back.

I still get some pinging going up steep hills but the earlier prob seems gone.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by HondaKilLR
Seems like Nissan is still using crap coils. Nothing new. Hoy Hoy Hoy!
Old 08-14-2003, 07:58 AM

Speaking of coils, I have 4 old coils from a '88 Nissan Pulsar NX SE (CA18DE). Perhaps I should cut one apart with a dremel and examine them, wonder if it'll give any insight on how they work (and why they fail... the CA18DE coils failed just as much back then)
Old 08-14-2003, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by spirilis
Speaking of coils, I have 4 old coils from a '88 Nissan Pulsar NX SE (CA18DE). Perhaps I should cut one apart with a dremel and examine them, wonder if it'll give any insight on how they work (and why they fail... the CA18DE coils failed just as much back then)
There's no secret as to why the coils fail. Heat and vibration are the culprits.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:59 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I'm going in tomorrow to have some TSB's done at a different Nissan dealer. I spoke with their service manager and knew exactly what I was talking about.....rare at a Nissan dealer. They said they will do the ECU flash upgrade and MAF sensor replaced.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:39 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I went to Temecula Nissan this morning (great service by the way Kloogy) and found out that I already had the flash ECU upgrade (engine doesnt hesitate) and noticed my MAF sensor was sending the wrong codes to my ECU. Another one is on order and should be in stock Monday or Tuesday. This was done at NO CHARGE and told me this is covered up to 60,000 miles. If you guys have this pinging problem and are on your original MAF sensor, take your car to Nissan and tell them about your excessive pinging problem. I'll let you guys know after the service is performed on what happened....
Old 08-16-2003, 04:57 AM

I have the Injen air intake which I just put on and have the pinging problem on slow acceleration on my 2k3se. I was wondering if I brought it back to the dealer, would they start complaining about it and won't replace my MAF and have the ECU reprogrammed?

Thanks
Old 08-16-2003, 07:05 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally posted by RAZORFISH228
I have the Injen air intake which I just put on and have the pinging problem on slow acceleration on my 2k3se. I was wondering if I brought it back to the dealer, would they start complaining about it and won't replace my MAF and have the ECU reprogrammed?

Thanks
It depends on the dealer. I didn't take off my JWT intake and the dealer was cool about it.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by RAZORFISH228

Thanks
Well let's think this over for a minute. You've installed an aftermarket intake on your Maxima that may be related to a problem you're having. If you leave that equipment installed when you take your vehicle to your dealer, you're allowing them to make a decision as to whether or not they want to honor your warranty. If you reinstall your stock intake, you're taking that decision away from them. They HAVE to honor your warranty.

So which position do you want your dealer to be in when you take your vehicle to them for service? And forget about what anyone says concerning the fact that your dealer has to honor your warranty unless they can prove your modification is responsible for the problem. That may be the legality of the situation. But in reality, you have to prove that your modification is NOT responsible for the problem. And unless you're retired with a vacation home in the Hamptons, you have neither the time nor the resources to fight your dealer if they decide to void your warranty.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!
Old 08-17-2003, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the advice, I removed everything fro the car intake and exhuast and took it in, I got the normal I don't know what this is can you leave it with us for a while?,

I asked them if they have had any complaints on this, they said 'Oh yes we get alot with the 2K2 and 2k3 just don't know what is causing the problem

so I asked them do do some homework as I need the car to get araound and I would be happy to let them trouble shoot it on friday,
No word back yet
Old 08-18-2003, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by ÀÜSSÎË
. . . they said 'Oh yes we get alot with the 2K2 and 2k3 just don't know what is causing the problem'
Old 08-18-2003, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by ÀÜSSÎË
I asked them if they have had any complaints on this, they said 'Oh yes we get alot with the 2K2 and 2k3 just don't know what is causing the problem
Great.... I still get some pinging while going up hills, some not so steep. I wonder what amount is considered "normal". Not sure if the dealer I'd take it to would be willing to change ignition coils.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:43 AM

Update!!

UPDATE

Went to dealer regarding the pinging,

I being a mechanic looked this car over a couple of times before going to the dealer, But I did not tell them that, you know just the hassle, They had it for three hours, they said they checked for codes but non came up, (I could have told them that), checked MAF at my request they say I looks good, fuel intake they say looks good, (again I could have told them that). I requested they check or replace the coils at that would cause it. They said no we couldn’t do that, we need to look at every thing before we go down that road; I mean that checked every thing out on this car and NOTHING.

I am going to another dealer on Tuesday so I will keep you all informed on what happens.

This makes me so mad,
cause I know it has to be the coils...
Old 09-05-2003, 07:32 AM

I too have had pinging problems. I've found that my car pings on all brands of gasoline with exception of Amoco and Sunoco. My wifes Durango also has had problems with pinging and Sunoco is by far the best with absolutely no pinging. With Amoco it only pings while the A/C is on and hard acceleration.

That aside, I believe it's the coils.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:53 AM
Very sound, Mike

So that's what it is? I've posted about similar sounds before but didn't exactly know if it was pinging as i'm not really sure how Pinging sounds.

Mine has been very obvious during the peak of Houston summer - lately i haven't heard it, but it's there every now and then.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:20 AM

Same here, seems to go away with BP gasoline.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:27 AM

BP gasoline = Amocco