5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

TCM Recall?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2001, 07:15 PM

One of the service managers told me something interesting today (of course it could be a total lie).

WheN I had my car in, I asked them to check if I needed the TCM update. The first service manager knew exactly what I was talking about and said he would check it since it's better to catch it than replace the tranny later. When I picked it up, the service manager who was actually handling my car that day, told me that there a recall was recently issued on some of the TCMs and that I will receive something in the mail soon if it applies to my vehicle.

I'm assuming the guy was misinformed, but it'll be interesting to see if there's a recall issued.
Old 02-05-2001, 08:41 PM

Its about damned time they throw out a recall!
Old 02-07-2001, 08:51 PM

Ford did this ALONG time ago with the Lincoln LS TCM...ITS ABOUT TIME NISSAN GOT ON THE BALL! wooohooooo

If I get the notice, I would be suprised. I feel my car shifts very firm,fast, and sometimes jerks. No slushiness anymore! My TCM is is really acting weird lately though. Its got me worried. This morning I started the car and left, No warm-ups. The car did no lag and just shifted quickly to second. No slippage. Usually it doesn't do this when it is cold outside. My car now shifts at 6,550rpms when it is floored and shifts quickly and firmly I might add. Could this be how Nissan REALLY intended the TCM to be like? or maybe its just a malfunction TCM in my car?
Old 02-07-2001, 08:56 PM

TCM?

I'm probably going to sound like the biggest friggin idiot, but what exactly does TCM stand for? and also......considering that I have an automatic, is it something that I should be concerned about as well?
Old 02-07-2001, 09:00 PM

Re: TCM?

Originally posted by acMAX
I'm probably going to sound like the biggest friggin idiot, but what exactly does TCM stand for? and also......considering that I have an automatic, is it something that I should be concerned about as well?

TCM is the Transmission Control Module. It is the brains of the shiftpoints. Yes you should have some concerned since your are is an automatic transmission.
Old 02-07-2001, 09:45 PM

Check out the link to the tranny TSB in my sig.
Old 02-08-2001, 12:44 AM
Wustylez

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ
Ford did this ALONG time ago with the Lincoln LS TCM...ITS ABOUT TIME NISSAN GOT ON THE BALL! wooohooooo

If I get the notice, I would be suprised. I feel my car shifts very firm,fast, and sometimes jerks. No slushiness anymore! My TCM is is really acting weird lately though. Its got me worried. This morning I started the car and left, No warm-ups. The car did no lag and just shifted quickly to second. No slippage. Usually it doesn't do this when it is cold outside. My car now shifts at 6,550rpms when it is floored and shifts quickly and firmly I might add. Could this be how Nissan REALLY intended the TCM to be like? or maybe its just a malfunction TCM in my car?
Wow, really your auto shifts around reline, that is the first time I have ever heard on 5th gen automatic tranny!!!!
Are you sure, because that is kind of abnormal for Nissan Auto tranny to do that!!

Anybody else that their auto tranny shifts at reline???

Tim

Old 02-08-2001, 06:50 AM

Before mine was fixed it never shifted at redline. Mine shifted around 6100. Now it shifts around 6200 or 6300. (full throttle) There was about a 2 second delay between the 1 to 2 shift. If it shifts at redline, it's really slipping badly.

I think the comment about the recall is really a TSB. Probably a mixup in communication. I know a lot of people with 2000 Maximas without the slippage. Those people tend to drive their cars less aggressively.

Originally posted by Wustylez
Originally posted by ScreamingVQ

Wow, really your auto shifts around reline, that is the first time I have ever heard on 5th gen automatic tranny!!!!
Are you sure, because that is kind of abnormal for Nissan Auto tranny to do that!!

Anybody else that their auto tranny shifts at reline???

Tim
Old 02-08-2001, 07:01 AM

I should have it checked out then. The thing is, the transmission does not feel like it is slipping. It shifts fast and firm at all engine speeds. I want to Mcdonnalds this morning and warmed up the car for about 10mins (bad bad bad). The transmission didn't slip in any gear and I even tried WOT. Either I'm seeing things or my TCM is THAT messed up but now it shift alittle less than 6,400rpm (6,350?rpm) for the 1-2shifting.

I really wish some of you 5th generation owners on here lived close to me. Then maybe you can show me how a new TCM would shift like.
Old 02-08-2001, 07:43 AM

I had my TCM updated some time ago, or so the dealer said they changed it. The more I drive the car, the less I really think anything actually got changed, although at the time it was changed it did feel somewhat different.